CristalleCristal (1974) Eau de Toilette

Cristalle is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1974. The scent is green-fresh. It is still in production.

Henri Robert

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesHyacinth, Rosewood
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 05.03.2019

6.0 4.0 4.0 10.0/10

Where'd you go?!
In the middle of the eighties my former friend went on a study trip to Paris. He created Cristalle for me in a Chanel boutique. I remember that I kept the luxury item like a treasure and only wore the scent on special occasions to get something out of it for a long time. The EdT lasted so long at that time that you didn't have to replenish it often - once covered with a few sprays, the scent was still visible on your clothes days later. I found the scent so beautiful that I put it on regularly, with small breaks in between, again and again. In the middle of the nineties the EdP came onto the market, and when the EdT was not available in my regular perfumery, I took the other variant. The fragrance remained the same, the quantity could naturally be further reduced and the price difference was not so extreme. At some point I wanted something different again and he disappeared for years in the closet. The other day he fell into my hands again and the desire for it awakened again. There was not much left in the flacon, so he ended up in the shopping basket again at the next opportunity. Since I was used to the long durability, I took the EdT and looked forward to putting it on again in the evening. The fragrance came out of its flacon in the usual beauty, but ....HALLO?.... after less than two hours he was completely gone! I tried it a few more times, pushed it on me, my skin, my hay fever nose.... But none of it, after about two hours he disappeared. Well, I thought. Try makes you cluck... I bought the EdP. Same procedure, but unfortunately similar effect?????.... Even on clothes from which he could hardly be removed in the 80s, unless they were burned;), he lasted only slightly longer! I think it's a shame because I still like Cristalle. For a fragrance of the Chanel brand, I find that somewhat questionable-above all, because it used to be possible after all. By the way, the same phenomenon also occurs with the offshoot Cristalle Eau Verte. Both are beautiful fragrances, but at least I can say that the original crystal is not as durable as it used to be. Neither as EdT nor as EdP
9.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

Aventurin
I'm not gonna marry in the fall, and I'm not gonna marry in the spring
I've dedicated a statement to Cristalle before, but this special Chanel deserves a comment - like so many other fragrances, I know, but perfume and time are reciprocally proportional to each other in my case.
It is special because, alongside all the new releases, it actually seems to have fallen out of time, but not because it comes along old-fashioned, but because it so pleasantly stands out from the banal, pleasing uniform trend, whose impulses also thrive in the perfume laboratory of the time-honoured fashion house. Cristalle is not a difficult fragrance, it does not have the opulent, finely differentiated noblesse of many Exclusifs, but is unadorned beautiful, unobtrusive and - the best - free of any sweetness and watery powdery boredom à la N°5 L'Eau. He stands a little alone and resembles N°19 EdT.
in his discreet and yet expressive lightness most likely
Cristalle is bitter like a frosty spring morning, cool like pale porcelain stone. The cold, not tangy-freshening lemon - almost metallic-clear, as if you were bowing a crystal - embeds itself in a delicate heart of hyacinth, light violet and green floral iridescent. Softer tones soften the initial austerity, the flowery centre is interwoven silvery transparent, supported by a very delicate mossy background, more airy-grey than warm dark green.
Cristalle is straightforward, straightforward and sovereign, minimally tender behind his silky veil of distance, in his whole being unapproachable, proud and determined, like these song lines - only without the pain - from the song "The Bachelor" by Patrick Wolf
"I'm not gonna marry in the fall
And I'm not gonna marry in the spring
I will never marry - marry at all
No one will wear my silver ring"

Whoever wears it walks upright, perhaps sometimes with a wistful blink, but straight ahead. Without looking back.
10.0 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

MasterLi
Like a walk through a wet forest in the spring...
This fragrance, whilst being a classic, is certainly (not) for everyone!

What hits me upon initial impression is the bitterness of it all. A hit of very citric lemon and oakmoss which stays throughout the life of the fragrance, coupled with a floral drydown (I'm detecting a little hedione, or jasmin-like smell). This is very "green" and sparkling, hence the name Cristalle.

It smells very very mossy and lemony acidic, almost giving the impression to me of walking through a forest with the trees and flowers still wet from the spring rain. To me it doesn't exude "freshness" because of the heavy oakmoss vibe, but I can see what other people mean when they describe it that way.

Who would wear this fragrance? Well, anyone who likes "green" or "hesperidic" (i.e. slightly citric) scents... or those who like a little bitterness in their fragrances. On that kind of person it will be a holy grail fragrance. For me, I enjoy it (it's also completely unisex as an EDT), but I can't fit into it so easily.

Overall... is it well made? Yes. Is it a classic? Yes. For everyone? Well, for those who like this type of scent... green, bitter, mossy, damp, citric and sparkling! Like rain dew on flowers and musty, moss-covered tree logs in the forest after a downpour of heavy spring rain. You've done it again Chanel... (to me) this is slightly disturbing, yet unmistakably unique!

Smell ya later
Word on the street is that this fragrance in vintage form is sought after. Yes well the demonic and competitive side of me always tends to seize the opportunity when I have a chance.

So I went to the store, where they have a BNIB Cristalle just minding her own business, looking for a good home. I'm pretty good at giving fragrances a good home so I gave her a try.Bad Move on my part. What the what? This crap is so overly citric it's pathetic. Who wears this stuff? One sniff threw me into a coughing fit and had me wheezing (I don't have asthma). Solidly sour and equally offensive, I knew there was no way I would reconsider.

We had a brief moment, lasted about 15 seconds and I knew in my heart of hearts that this Vintage Chanel would have to wait for a different taxi because there is no way I'm giving her a ride home! I told her to take a hike!

None of the listed notes were present, my nose only smelled bitterness. Sour, rancid lemons or limes. Nasty, just nasty.

I carefully placed her back into her cardboard coach, and gave her a final salutation. Peace out my friend, don't call me, I'll call you.

If Looks Could Kill; Substitute Scent
I’ve really enjoyed chypre fragrances for a while and I have Cristalle to thank. When I first smelled Cristalle (many years ago before I really became a perfume hobbyist) I didn’t really know anything about categories of fragrances or what made them what they were. It was 1982 and I was in college. I wore Antaeus, Kouros, No 5, and Je Reviens. Powerhouse men’s 80s and lady-like floral aldehydes. When I tried Cristalle at some department store or other, I had no idea what to make of it. It’s as if this had dropped in from space. I can’t say I loved it, but it marked me.

When I smelled it again many years later I found it simply gorgeous. It smelled just as it had the first time, but I had changed. I was ready for it. It is pristine. I know some find it off-putting (even many who like it) but I find it has just the right timbre, the perfect inflection. It is an odd, spare chord and might not be particularly harmonious in a feel-good, symphonic sense but it has a perfect tonality. My only difficulty with it (as with both No 19 edt and Pour Monsieur) is that it just doesn’t last for me. It has just a fraction more lasting power than an eau de cologne. Despite this, I love its evolution over time. It starts green, strong, astringent and then has a fairly quick transition to a mossy, melon-like floral like nothing else I’ve smelled. From this point it just sort of blows away, becoming a ghost of itself, but, for an hour or so, a recognizable one.

Jazzy76 11 months ago
Fresh and flowery -green, it's the perfect scent to wear in spring-summer for a fresh touch of class.
A very well balanced acchord+4

by Aggeliki
by EvaK
by EvaK

Popular Chanel

Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Sycomore (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Chance (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel