Eau de Cologne (2007)

Eau de Cologne by Chanel
Eau de Cologne is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is still in production.

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Green notes, Lemon, Citruses
Heart Notes Heart NotesSpices, Neroli, Petitgrain
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Tonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.07.2019.

10.0 2.0 4.0 10.0/10

Duftsucht
About Pattex and other adhesives..
.... it seems to me that here on Parfumo the subject of "shelf life" is often complained about - especially with colognes, which naturally contain fewer fragrances and are therefore always more volatile. Alternatively, a certain synthetic note is sometimes criticised, especially in citric summer fragrances that last a long time. Many of us are just looking for the transparent-light-eternal-holdable fragrance for the summer - I count myself there explicitly!
Be that as it may, since I've been using Chanel's ethereally floating Eau de Cologne, I've known one thing. Hermessence "Osmanthe Yunnan, Rose Ikebana, and Myrrh Eglantine, which I have recently lamented for their volatility, are Pattex! Yes, not somehow Eagle Owl or Tesa or anything else where there is a chance to remove it from children's hair or with children's fingers glued together. No: Pattex! The comparison makes me sure!
Chanels Eau de Cologne refreshes me at the first spray with a delicate, sour, fresh lemon. Who doesn't believe me that there is our acid lemon, not bitter lemon, which nevertheless smells like lemon, should definitely test it for yourself! And then there's Neroli, but an extremely noble, dimmed species and 4711 as far away as the next inhabited planet from Earth and just below something green. Nothing bitter or bitter, most likely like basil mixed with freshly cut grass on a not too hot day. The citrus note fades away quickly and fresh green remains, into which an equally delicate green-spicy vanilla is increasingly inserted. The fragrance does not become sweet in the base, although one smells vanilla and musk clearly, but remains light green. Quite, quite great cinema, but of the quiet, withdrawn kind. Maybe a French film, black and white of course, not tragic or deeply sad, but a trace distanced and distinguished beyond all measure and noble!
And now we come to the price for which this translucent fragility has been bought: I could spray it practically every half hour, because although the scent can still be smelled on the skin after hours, it is so close to the body that I get strange glances because I stick with my nose to my forearm!
Oh dear, I'm in love! And I'm grateful to Chanel's Eau de Cologne, because it confirmed something I already suspected: There will be more fragrances in the souk, I want a much smaller selection of fragrances - and they will be mainly of the feather-light variety, supplemented by some that will give a real fragrance statement on certain occasions. Merci, Chanel!

Excelent Exclusif
Chanel released two colognes designed by Jacques Polge in 2007, Allure Homme Sport Cologne Sport and the Exclusif.

The strategy reminds me of that used by motor manufacturers who make their cars in a range of models to suit various budgets. These two colognes are built around the same chassis of a hard and bright lemon - grapefruit accord. Allure is the basic, entry level runaround made to a strict budget, and Eau de Cologne de Chanel has all the trimmings you'd expect from a top of the range model.

They both launch on the same basic citrus accord, but here it comes ameliorated by lime, sweetness and discrete powdery and woody nuances that soften the citrus and broaden its effect ready for what is to come.

Its when you get into the luxury floral interior that the real magic starts. With a budget generous on quality ingredients like bitter orange, real (?) neroli, and a decent musk, as well as Chanel's own Grasse jasmin, rose, lavender and spice, it all makes for a beautifully smooth elegant ride.

The other difference between Allure's basic saloon and the Exclusif black limousine must be the care and attention lavished on the evolution and detailing. It holds a fine balance between shiny and matt, acid and sweet, hard and soft. Crucially the citrus head accord remains crisp and true deep into the floral heart, thus maintaining the profile's artistic integrity as a cologne. It feels as though its been made to the same standards of excellence as the EdT's.

Cologne de Chanel is classified as feminine but for the first three hours or so it conjours up for me images of Saville Row shirts and high class tailoring, but then it makes a swerve to the feminine as the powdery sweet musky drydown starts to break through the citrus glass ceiling.

This is a traditional structure that relies on impeccable materials and great design work for its success rather than innovation, and so, in this conservative context, I think that remarking on a mild sense of gender realignment in the base is a valid criticism.

However, despite that, this is still one of the best colognes there is.
7.5 2.5 2.5 3.0/10

Eau de Cologne
Opens with a sharp citrus accord. When the alcohol has dried, I see a lovely citrus blend layered over pale woods and aromatic herbs. Once the citrus notes start to vanish and the herbal notes intensify, I'd say this fragrance is a sheerer Bel Respiro. It is nice mind you, but nothing special.
7.5 2.5 2.5 8.0/10

Great While It Lasts...
Eau de Cologne opens with sharp nose tingling lemon citrus with hints of supporting lime before the sharpness quickly fades as the fragrance transitions to its heart after less than 10 seconds. During the early heart the presentation turns to a clean fresh orange flower and green petitgrain tandem as its co-stars. The fragrance profile remains quite constant through the rest of its relatively brief life-cycle, with no change in the late dry-down to speak of. Projection is minimal with the fragrance almost a skin scent and longevity is relatively poor at about 4 hours on skin.

The sharp smelling sour lemon open to Eau de Cologne is almost aldehyde-like in its nose burning intensity, but it is one of the best presentations of natural lemon in a fragrance I have sniffed to date. After the all too brief lemon fades, the structure turns into that of classic Eau de Cologne all the way with its orange flower and green petitgrain tandem, though the execution in this particular one is flawless. I find it hard to grade Eau de Cologne because for what it is I can't find any faults with the composition but the problem for me is in the classic Eau de Cologne structure itself (or lack thereof). The fragrance goes through its entire linear life-cycle so quickly that while I love what I smell while it lasts, it fades all too soon and requires reapplying every three to four hours (and that is on fragrance friendly skin to boot). The bottom line is the $130 per 75ml bottle Eau de Cologne smells excellent and earns a solid 4 star out of 5 rating that would be higher if others did not exist with more tenacity and a similar quality profile at lower prices like my reference EdC, Cologne du Parfumeur by Guerlain.
9.0/10

Classic Cologne
This is a very simple, classic lemon cologne. I think men can wear it very easily. I sprayed some on my father, and we both liked it on him. It's so refreshing and perfect for warm weather, like sweetened lemon water on a soft base of cedar. I really don't notice any spices, but in a way I am grateful for that as it would ruin the delicate scent of the perfume. It's very uplifting, not tart or sour; refreshing for summer or would be nice after a shower when you just want to smell clean and fresh. This is a perfume one wears for themselves, not to impress others.

SUMMARY: Sunny day in a lemon orchard

by Sweetsmell75
by Mediocre
by Hermessenz
by Hermessenz

Popular Chanel

Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Coco Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Parfum) by Chanel Chance (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel