N°5 1921 Eau de Cologne

N°5 (Eau de Cologne) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1921. The scent is floral-earthy. The production was apparently discontinued. Pronunciation

Ernest Beaux

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydesAldehydes
BergamotBergamot
NeroliNeroli
Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang
LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesIrisIris
JasmineJasmine
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
RoseRose
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla
VetiverVetiver
CivetCivet

Submitted by Lilau, last update on 01.12.2021.

The enlightenment came in London
Chanel N°5 was for me always the Eau de Toilette version of my grandma. I found that as a child in the 70s floral-old fashionable.
Then, in the course of my perfume workshop at 4160Tuesdays, I had the opportunity to look around the Vintage Vault. And there we were able to discover the Eau de Cologne version. That was a real enlightenment. Floral-old-fashioned, my ass! But so not! This is probably how the fabled number 5 was supposed to be: The flacon was from the late 40s, the fragrance perfectly preserved, Mademoiselle Chanel's spirit dwelling among us.
Probably she also spoke to me, only I was so intoxicated that I can no longer remember exactly:)-
Hardly back from London, I have then organized me 2 Flakons, you never know...
The EdC is much less floral than the EdT, less sweet for it drier, aldehydiger. More Roaring 20ies than demure 50s. More Jersey dress than Dior bodice. And thus resolutely modern, timeless, and elegant.
Subsequently, the Vintage Extrait version had to come along for comparison purposes, for purely scientific comparison purposes, of course....
The Extrait is of course also a dream, but closer to the body. The EdC has more sillage, shoulder pads, so to speak. Otherwise, they are but very similar, since not so blümerant as the EdT.
Overall, the wearer - or even the wearer - but should be close to the aldehydes and also not allergic to white flower, because a floral base can not be denied, albeit modern processed.
One of my Holy Grails to land back in the diction of the present and end the trance state!
Feel comfortable with No 5
The dear Angelliese has allowed me to also try the long discontinued EdC of my signature fragrance. I thank you very much.

To say it right away: The EdC also convinces me all along the line and confirms me Chanel's No 5 as a signature fragrance, even if I wear him because of impending nose blindness only rarely.

Like the vintage EdT and the perfume, the EdC is altogether more tart than the modern versions of No 5. They seem more densely "woven" somehow, the scents blending together more quickly. Of course, there is a progression: aldehydic-soapy-floral-warm-slightly spicy. But it unwinds faster, gives more of an overall impression. (See also with the EdP my comparison comment).

New for me with the EdC is in the course after so about 1 hour an impression of licorice. Really just an impression that is sometimes there and sometimes not, but recognizable to me. Could be the addition of violet root ... And I was surprised by the mention of patchouli in the fragrance pyramid above. At first I wanted to dismiss that with a shake of my head, it clearly lacks that chocolaty, dark, earthy quality. But then I remembered Lehmann's "Singapore Patchouly" which is also a rather light, slightly floral patchouly and thought, maybe it could be. Maybe in those times (20s, 30s) the Patchouly used was lighter, more flowery? And last but not least, what's new for me in the EdC is a rather green finish. Vetiver I perceive most clearly at the end, may be the oakmoss supports this. Musk and civet, both are (also) not listed in the other versions, I can not detect. Whereby I must admit, however, that I have no idea how civet smells.

Impressed me the durability of the EdC. With up to 7 hours, it comes equal to a current EdT.

Conclusion: Apart from the very new No 5 versions (Première and L'Eau) I always feel comfortable with No 5.

Devastatingly beautiful...
This is something which should be preserved forever as an example of pure joy and beauty. An iconic fragrance. I am male, but I have huge respect for this beautiful piece of art. I my self have worn Shalimar in Eau de Cologne concentration, and I actually can't stop myself wearing something so beautiful and timeless as this. It wasn't such a big step for me as I used to love the floral aldehyde feel of "Tabac" by Maurer & Wirtz. Except the later had a prominent tobacco vibe.

The Eau de Cologne is vintage and generally much stronger than the modern formulation. That being said, the floral aspects of it are to die for, and the projection & sillage are astounding.

In short, I just want to say... I think every woman should smell like this at least once in her life. Please, enough with the countless generic teen florals etc. When you get tired of them, and want men to treat you like the lady that you are, you can't make a better statement than this. Timeless.

AllabouteveAllabouteve 5 years ago
The best of all Chanel no 5 concentrations...a dream of warm aldehydes. If you love no 5,you MUST hunt this down!!

by DemonHead
by AFreimann
by Littlered
by Littlered

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel