Égoïste (1990)Eau de Toilette

Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jacques Helleu
Top 38 in Men's Perfume
Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1990. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCoriander, Mahogany, Mandarin, Rosewood
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Rose, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Leather, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 09.04.2020.

Volker1964
My dear Herr Gesangsverein, a horny smell .....
I was given a sample of this fragrance as a gift. Then I tested it for a few days and ordered 100ml EdT. How do I like it ? Let's go:
Top note: The top note is already quite powerful. Wood notes quite strong. Discreetly pleasant, green freshness. Well spiced with very discreet fruit. Fruit rather in the background, wood dominates very clearly. For the top note already quite complex.
Heart note: It remains strong and quite woody. Very subtle floral note, more a touch. A hint of spicy cinnamon, not sweet!
Base note: wood still quite present, in addition strong and noble leather. A good portion of tobacco is added. Overall quite complex and very versatile. Fresh, green note pleasant, a bit more subtle than in the beginning. Also in the base this scent doesn't weaken.
Conclusion: Chanel Egoiste is a mMn already exceptional fragrance. It smells strong, powerful and has a certain old school touch, although it is quite modern. A fragrance more for leisure time, for me less for work. Complex ? Yes! Exerted ? Possibly, but I personally don't mind. Striking ? In any case, I like it (leisure). If you like strong or striking fragrances, this mMn is not a bad choice. Lasts a good 8 hours with me.

Chizza
I can't explain it... but the scent is fascinating
Of course I can already explain it, the base notes are really all the perfume components I appreciate and combine here to a high-quality result. Other perfumes I find really great when I smell them, egoist is different. Sometimes I catch myself thinking why I didn't spray an egoist today, the fragrance is kind of old and conservative but it has such a sublime aura. All too often I cannot perceive him in my surroundings either. Here and there you meet the Sauvages, Aventus and AdP of this world (which I also appreciate all of them) but egoists or even an Antaeus are hardly to be found. Kind of dropped out but very stylish. For me a great office fragrance also in the course of customer appointments

My love
My first fragrance love that started it all. Still my biggest love. Many say its the male version of Bois des Iles, but I think its a more slimmed down version of Coco (my second favorite). The far dry down of the Vintage smells a lot like Egoiste. Florals removed, sandalwood amped up. The rose note is actually made up of damascones, famously used in Shiseidos Nombre Noir and Coco. They have a smell of rose and dried fruits. Egoiste never smells fruity on me, but MyMickers (RIP) seemed to got it sometimes... I get 10 hours out of Egoiste, but even later when I have a hot shower after a long day it reactivates and fills the shower with its heavenly aroma. This is seriously the last thing I want to smell before I die.

Eizzi
Not only made for egoists ! :)
A fragrance that lives up to its name!
In the 90's when I was a young teenager, and still living at home, I knew the smell of my mother. It was standing in her bathroom cabinet and every time I saw the bottle I had to spray it and it shook me a lot because this fragrance smells really intense and provocative. I thought so when I was 12. It has to be said that I had my "passion for perfume even at that age. I always had to sniff every bottle.

Good. Now let's move on to the present. I myself have owned this fragrance for some time now and I must say I love smelling it on myself! Often only for ME. Which is close to the name of the fragrance. I do not want to say that this fragrance can only be worn by an egoist, no quite the opposite. Personally I think that you have to show a good portion of self-confidence, because he is already very loud and potent. In some noses there is also something disturbing and obtrusive. In the first few seconds, a little more... a spicy note unfolds in combination with a note of aldehyde It is of course all my personal impression. In the Drydown the cinnamon then comes out very strongly :) Unfortunately I can't say much about the durability yet, because I have to test it even better first. But for a unique men's fragrance, "vintage fragrance", one must almost say, it's just BRUTAL ! I like him a lot!

Conclusion:
A fragrance that is not made for everyone. One loves him, the other hates him :) In my eyes it has a very polarizing effect. Definitely one of my favourite scents ! Nevertheless, if you wear it on your skin, you also have a bit of character in you :)

Duftrebellen
The bad lady wants it selfish. So do I.
Chanel Égoiste - at that time recommended by a dear friend, today perceived by wicked strangers ladies. No matter how many people like this fragrance or not, it can hardly be denied that it attracts attention. Damn, and how he does it. No fragrance that smells so "mainstream" and yet so "different" at the same time has come under my nose in recent years, like this Égoiste.

When I bought the fragrance as a bottling and tried it out almost a year ago, I was amazed at how different a fragrance can smell, the history of its creation going back exactly 30 years. For me, this eau de toilette had something evil, like a snake, like the color poisonous green and probably also like its bite The durability is above average, the Sillage adheres pleasantly strong. The top note surprises at the beginning of the application with a multitude of fresh scents, which nevertheless do not whitewash the evil main character, but rather go along with it, at most holding it back a little. After half an hour, it's time for the heart note, which now reveals more of the true face of the Égoist - the notes become darker, spicier, but still fresh. This note smells the most pleasant to my senses and lasts for several hours.
Especially when you're on the road and in your everyday life, you don't even notice that the heart note eventually peels out into the base note. If you consciously smell the base note, you can still clearly see which eau de toilette you have applied, but you want to experience the pleasant bite that lasted the first few hours, which makes you think about whether this fragrance will be used again tomorrow. Even in the base note, the fragrance is still perceived by people. Whether in positive or negative is probably dependent on each character itself. To my astonishment, in the few days I wore it, the fragrance was appreciated by women with two compliments (three compliments, if you consider the mere perception of a fragrance also a compliment).

I was very surprised by this smell. It is one of the only fragrances in my collection to date, whose creation began in the last millennium - at least according to my research. If you like scents that catch the eye. Who likes fragrances that are different. If you like fragrances that don't have a problem being perceived as selfish or even being called that - for you, Chanel has created this Égoiste.

A.

DerR
Who am I - and if so, how many?
Admittedly, I have never read this book by Mr Precht, or even dealt with this work in any way, but nevertheless this title appeared to me in my mind's eye after I had bought a bottle of Égoïste.
I have never experienced a perfume that shows so many faces as this one. (Admittedly, I have not yet dealt with as many as a large number of Parfumo members have certainly done)
I cannot say with absolute accuracy whether this phenomenon is simply due to different daytime temperatures, or whether my olfactory organ simply interprets the scent molecules very subjectively.
Fact is: on my skin Égoïste develops mainly in three different ways.
The first would be rose and something woody The second one would be towards vanilla And the third one would be towards cinnamon.
The third type of development is certainly the least common. It is also the most interesting, because the cinnamon does not come creeping and slowly, but suddenly bursts out tumultuously and quite audibly.
The process is comparable to the following situation: You have invited 7 people in the morning. 6 come one by one and say goodbye again after a few hours each. The guests have left and they have put their house in order and now want to recover from the demanding day. Suddenly the door is unexpectedly broken open and the 7th guest stands there. Surprisingly he's coming after all! Unexpectedly and alone on a wide corridor he suddenly stands in the room.
After an initial surprise, invite him in and let the day end in a pleasant atmosphere
Whether one is really an egoist when one wears Égoïste I cannot judge completely.
Because when I put it on, I love to smell it in almost all its facets. I probably like him 9 times out of 10.
But as so often, there is unfortunately also a "but". There are days I can't do anything with it. I just don't feel comfortable there. I just smell something sweet and spicy and I ask myself: Why did you buy this again, no one can stand it?
But since I have never been negatively addressed to Égoïste I doubt that all my fellow human beings feel bothered by this scent.

I would rather say the content of the vial is the egoist who does what he wants and wants to show all his personalities!

Plasmic
Falling in love with yourself
Entering perfumeries back in the day and picking random stuff I knew nothing about, judging them all from a like/dislike perspective, I met this simple designed yet classy bottle on the shelf that had this intriguing name written on it and I just hit the trigger. Loved it and hated it at the same time. I remember the opening being pungent and sour, having a non gourmand sweetness attached to it, and even if it felt so harsh and not me I kept thinking about it for about 7 years when I finaly decided to make a purchase. It's one of my fragrances that make me smile before and after I spray it. It's such a masterpiece, has so much personality and charm you couldn't possibly confuse it with other scent. Staple!

7TMGolf
Did you take any medicine?
This was my grandmother's welcome today when I visited her for lunch after a short city tour. Before I had dared a few sprayers on my wrist with Douglas, nevertheless, also this older smell should be so strong in character, which many new publications allegedly would be less.

At first I must say, I liked Egoiste rather less well. I also had to think of something medical for a short time, maybe because of the quite dominant carnation. But here also not negative - somehow.

Over time, the odor has developed into a quite pleasant note. There were sweeter impressions, I could not have said exactly which spice it was. I've seen cinnamon in the fragrance pyramid, when I concentrate on it I can guess the component quite well.

Even now, after six hours, I still perceive the scent quite strongly, it has taken on a rosy, spicy note with the ubiquitous soft carnation for me.

Finally, I must confess, yes, the fragrance - compared to Sauvage or Bottled, for example - really has an independent, strong character. Only he won't be my absolute favorite. Platinum Egoiste doesn't have much in common with Egoiste anymore, but I like it better.

Also difficult for me to judge is what to wear him for... Maybe best for a good dinner with colleagues or friends, not a date. For everyday life less.

Thanks for reading!

Tom27
Why it's called the way it's called ...
It was 1991 when I bought this fragrance. It was expensive, even very expensive by my standards at the time, but I had to have it. He radiated pure luxury to me. Truly no scent for every day, but suitable for every special occasion. That hasn't changed for me to this day. Classic, timeless and noble, he waits in my perfume cupboard for his big appearance. And he's got it in him. Hardly sprayed on, a fragrance cloud of the finest slightly bitter rosewood spreads sweetly and heavily. The resulting sweetness, however, is captured and softened by a hint of masculine lavender. In the background I notice a slightly fruity, sour mandarin. A few moments later, spices in the form of fresh coriander, peppery cinnamon and nutmeg emerge, which seem to quarrel with the rose and vanilla notes of a pinch of amber and a light tobacco note for dominance. This makes the fragrance complex and varied. Bitter, sour and spicy tones on one side and light sweet smoky dried floral notes on the other.
Over time, the rose and the flowery smoky become more and more dominant. In this phase the fragrance clearly shows its oriental genes. Drying also begins here, albeit very slowly. Creamy sandalwood and vanilla with a hint of musk complete this olfactory masterpiece.
The Sillage is good, but never obtrusive, the durability is over 10 hours as very good. Chanel Égoïste is a dominant, bossy, and in some ways egocentric fragrance that has been described by its name as the most excellent.

Self-care for perfume lovers
Always this choice. Always those decisions you have to make before you leave the house. What's the weather like today? What am I doing today? Do I have an important meeting? How do I feel and what do I want to express with my perfume? Okay, maybe that's how it looks with me. There will be many people who spray themselves and think "the main thing is that I smell good and the others like it". A lot of "perfumes," I think, are knitted more like me. Don't just spray it on like that, but give a few thoughts first. Of course there are the "all-rounders" and "Everybody's Darling" between the whole selection. But I'm sure Égoïste isn't one of them. Just to write the name correctly I had to scroll up five times to set the accents correctly.

I first met the fragrance at a good friend's house. I'm afraid we have to tell our former good friend by now. Gay, very experienced in lifestyle and life and twice as old as me, he had suggested this fragrance to me. So while he was wearing Antaeus (at least I don't have to look for accents here) and other treasures, I was already walking around in the early 20s almost exclusively with this scent. That polarized! Some found it mega because the scent just smells so good. Others found it surprising and unusual because the fragrance was quite classic and a bit older or more traditional. The perfumes of that time that came out at my age and were so "in" were not at all comparable to Égoïste.

In general I found the scent landscape at that time exhausting. In the end, I was glad to have somehow "pressed" the scent more or less. There were so many fragrances then (and still are today) that I was really insecure and often bought them according to the motto "expensive = good". Somehow I have especially learned to love this fragrance but love and I still love it today. I didn't care how anyone else found the scent, and I still don't. I didn't care what occasion I wear the scent for and it still is. The scent was like a scent compass to me at the time. He gave me a fabulous feeling - and this feeling is what I am still looking for in every fragrance today. Then it doesn't matter what the fragrance costs or how others find it. I want him to do me good. I'm supposed to like it. It's about me, all alone.

If I want that feeling, that feeling that today is about me and that I should be fine. If I don't feel like dealing with the usual decisions before the fragrance collection - then I wear this fragrance. He always reminds me that you should go your own way and consciously do something good, even if sometimes you have to be led to the right way by someone first. So I find the name and its story with me, just perfect. Michael, thank you for rubbing the scent in my face back then. I dedicate this comment to you and wherever you are, I hope you are well.

Trucklady 11 months ago
George Orwell forgot the line in 1984 where Big Brother stated that all men wear this in the presence of post pubescent women. Classic stuff
Jazzy76 17 months ago
A spicy -Woody timeless masterpiece whose I'll never forget the 90es advertisement! Classy and longlasting.Good for Her too!
JoaoMartins 19 months ago
A classic statement of the 90s. I don't usually like the DNA of "old" (not really that old) perfumes but this one is stunning!

Ich werde auf eure Gräber spucken - Boris Vian
by EveMist
by Hexana
by Hexana
by DemonHead
by DemonHead
by Pistazieneis
Wäre schon eher egocentrique manipulateur....;D
by Achilles
by Blödel
by Blödel
by Andreas09
by Andreas09
by Integral
by Integral
by Seejungfrau
Der letzte Sonnenuntergang vor der Zeitumstellung gegen 18:30 Uhr...
by Isto
by Night88
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel 1957 by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel 31 Rue Cambon (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel