Égoïste 1990 Eau de Toilette

Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jacques Helleu
Top 59 in Men's Perfume
Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1990. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesCorianderCoriander MahoganyMahogany Mandarin orangeMandarin orange RosewoodRosewood
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnationCarnation RoseRose CinnamonCinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber LeatherLeather SandalwoodSandalwood TobaccoTobacco VanillaVanilla

7.1967 Ratings

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.05.2022.

Novocaine
Egoiste, a innocent sin. It can be worn selfishly
Chanel Egoist, another sacred monster of perfumery, should not be missing from anyone's collection as long as he understands or is aware of the typical Parisian luxury and class.

Probably the first avant-garde perfume in which the rose received a true note of masculinity, a fragrance witch is on the shelves for so long since its appearance and from which a multitude of masculine perfumes draw their branches.

The opening of the perfume is strong and imposing. Exhale prestige through every pore and it does in a great style ... The recipe for success follows some ingredients executed by Jacque Polge with mastery. Rose, rosewood and sandalwood create a warm composition, a rich and opulent scent while cinnamon and dry, dusty tobacco carry the scent on a historical twist, giving it masculinity, hardness and at the same time a mysterious air.

Egoiste can be worn on special occasions, at close meetings because of the romantic note given by rose petals but also in the situation where you want to stand out at certain events where the tie or the ascot are completely necessary. It is without a doubt a mature creation.

I see it worn both in autumn and winter, being a warm perfume that wraps around your neck like a scarf. Performance is typical Edt. Both the sillage and the longevity are above average, especially on clothes.

If you really want a serious perfume for important moments that you can hold, don't look any further. It is a cornerstone of Chanel, a perfume that I can recommend you wear... selfishly))

Champagne rosé
Egoiste by Chanel is one of the greatest designer fragrances ever made. When worn today i guess it would still not smell dated at all, as some other masterpieces, particularly animalic frags actually might smell nowadays. Even for the house of Chanel i guess it might be the greatest perfume of the maison, and that's a lot. Really extraordinary perfume quality wise, both in ingredients and in the creation of the fragrance. Truly artistic work, not exaggerating. The smell pretty much ends up smelling like champagne, literally.
Bottom line: Try it and buy it whenever you like it or not, it's amazing. Who cares also what other people might think, it's not disgusting at all, neither animalic but it is quite weird. Still, delicious and a great self enjoyment perfume.

Classic
Egoiste is one of the best, maybe THE best designer fragrance ever made. It is versatile but also has some specific characteristics: charismatic, warm, inviting, sweet.
I like it a lot but tend to be careful with my prereformulated bottle. Haven't tried the recent one, though.
I slight disadvantage is that it can be a bit rubbery/synthetic sometimes.
What would be an ultimate hit? Chanel Egoiste - Parfum. I would buy the heck out of it.
But then again, the edt is very nice too.

8,5/10

Subtle elegance
Egoiste is a subtle, refined, masculine scent. This one you wear when you want to make an impression, day or night.

Luca Turin rates it 4 stars (out of 5) with label as 'candied fruit'. To my nose, there is not anything materially fruity about it, but there is mild sweetness with delicate woods in the backgrounds, and I'd assume sandalwood lends it that character.

As is the case with most Chanel perfumes, this one never disappoints, and always maintains elegance. People, this is an exemplaire example of TIMELESS!

RockabillyD
And I don't want anyone no, I want them to want me!
I became aware of him through his name. Chapeu Chanel!
Then the thing is also still from the 90s and thus so right in my favorite "vintage" hunting area.

So off to the nearest perfumery and tested what the stuff holds! Nice bottle! Off on the skin with it!

WIDERLICH!!!!!!!! Ne, that's nothing for me!

But somehow he wouldn't let me go.... Somehow I wanted to like him...

A lot of time passed and every now and then I put on Egoiste again in the perfumeries. Something kept drawing me back to it. And from time to time... I liked him better!

Today it was then so far. 11:30 fight announcement, 6 splashes full Lotte and then through the city. If he performs now, then I buy him!

11:40: Wow, it's coming up quite nicely!
12:00: Hmm, maybe not mine after all?
12:30: Now I'm starting to like him! But I do not know why!?
13:00: I'll take the Egoiste. Because he keeps me busy, I want him!

And now it's 10:30pm and I'm sitting here smelling my wrist and still smelling him! Selfishly, it refuses to go away. But now the smell is very pleasant. He and I, we harmonize now.

Opening:
Coriander and tangerine in the opening are very idiosyncratic and remind me of a spicy Christmas market. Can not everyone and should not everyone.

Heart:
What comes next is more floral, but still spicy and special. The motto runs through, but he becomes "tamer".

Base:
In the later phase I really like it, leather and sandalwood, very pleasant!!!
Egoiste doesn't aim to please everyone. He is not a shower gel fragrance and also not a sweet bomb.

It is spicy, special and maculine. Ripe.

Whoever wears it knows it smells good and steals exactly that. Always aware that it doesn't suit everyone. The durability is incredibly good and the bottle very stylish.

No fragrance for every day, but one for good days! And vorallem for cold, he is absolutely no summer fragrance!

Whether he fits to you? I do not even know if he fits me! But he has me! You should definitely test it. And not just once!
Wandering Cinnamon Stand
I was quite classically through an enclosed fragrance sample on this fragrance attentive.
The first smell perception was WOW. This fragrance absolutely meets my taste in the direction of spices and wood.

Since I consider the price relatively "expensive", I wanted to test the fragrance, however, from a normal bottle and thus this me in a local perfume store.
Three puffs, hours of longevity and a blast of cinnamon and wood.

I will say this, the scent is not for the faint of heart and if used in too high a dose it will get on your nerves. So really be careful with it.

About the fragrance:
The mixture of a big load of cinnamon, wood, rose and tangerine is more hit for me than I would have thought.
The scent starts off with a vengeance! Like when Santa breaks into his own candy factory drunk and choreographs an ass bomb into the cinnamon pool because of his unbridled ravenous appetite. Rudolf gives it a straight 10, with the slightly portly White Beard juggling tangerines and wooden partings. I am impressed. But what does this guy do now? He's picked the only rose from the North Pole for his wife and presents it to her with one of the warmest smiles I've ever seen. They both sit by the roaring fire and good old Santa lights a pipe with the finest tobacco he could find in this world.
His wife hates it when he smokes a pipe. But what does the hatred of others mean to a selfish man?
Is this combination to blame for why the reindeer herder and his wife have always been inseparable?
I can only puzzle, however I understand.

Application:
When I'm not working a temp job at the toy factory at the North Pole, I wear the fragrance to go out to dinner, whether day or night. For work, he is rather less suitable. It's too loud and too warm for that. As an executive it may be suitable, but then please only with a suit. He also works great at business lunches.
You are not only smelled with the fragrance, but also seen to 100%.

Conclusion:
Through this warm hearty cinnamon note, the wood and the freshness of the tangerine is a creation, which is unique. I can recommend the fragrance to anyone who feels and understands this fragrance description. Also as a blind purchase. (Try him anyway to test before)
Égoïste. Excentrique. Humaniste.
1990. After the epochal classics Pour Monsieur from 1955 and Antaeus from 1981 only the 3rd perfume for men from the house of Chanel. And the first men's fragrance with sandalwood as a dominant note. And again a milestone.

Personally, I don't find Égoïste remarkably egotistical at all, I attribute that attribute much more to my beloved Antaeus than to it. Perhaps 'uncompromising' is a more appropriate word for the attitude I mean here. I'd call Égoïste Excentrique instead, but then it would have been guaranteed not to be a big seller.

I don't know if the following motives contributed to the naming, but in a historical context Égoïste was a real announcement. These were dire new times for our gender at the time, as two major waves threatened to bury us beneath them at once: The 3rd wave of the women's movement was crashing mightily on our shores, calling our gender into question altogether. And two years earlier, with Cool Water, the aquatic tsunami had found its source, we men no longer smelled not because we had showered, no, we were now to underpin qua perfume that we had really done it. And the shirt should now also no longer be unbuttoned so far, what for, the way the modern, aquatic 'man' smelled, the basic assumption was anyway that he had already shaved off his chest hair in conformity as a precaution. If any, I might add.

What was that all about, how could it come so far at all and where should it all lead to? Perhaps Jacques Polge, who had previously created Antaeus, wondered all this too.
Well, anyway, 'Égoïste' addressed certain basic needs with its grandiose advertising. I, at any rate, have yet to meet the sex comrade who doesn't want to be damned as an egoist the next morning by a whopping 35 balconies of gorgeous drama queens.
The Égoïste man, recognizable only by his hairy (!) Arm, opens the lamella doors just a crack and puts in the middle of the whole theater just very cool the flacon on the balustrade. After all, there is nothing more to say about it.
And just as the egoist does his thing, Égoïste was, in any case, once again proof that Chanel unflinchingly goes its own way.

Égoïste begins with wood and ends with wood. The eccentric drumbeat begins with rosewood, which only doesn't smell too pungent because it is softened by mahogany flanked, refreshed by mandarin and spiced by coriander. Individually, I hardly if ever notice the last three notes in isolation; they serve the overall tone. And almost immediately, the sandalwood is in orbit and we are already very close to the heart.
Now Égoïste transforms and a dark, beautiful rose grows on slivers of sandalwood. And no, it doesn't smell rosy. If you know the slightly truffled black rose from Dior Homme Parfum, you know what I'm talking about. But here it's very delicately dusted with cinnamon, quite soft yet deep. So beautiful. And soon, even very delicately gossamer tobacco leaves settle on our rose, making it spicier and darker, and the cinnamon dust grows to flake size, and now we're divinely relaxing in the base:
The cinnamon lingers, more tobacco blossoms and then ambery warm leather grows on the joints of the solid sandalwood base and as we tap on the leather, feathery clouds of vanilla rise.

Égoïste has an intangible drydown. From here on, Égoïste could no longer be called Excentrique, but quite possibly Humaniste.
It will probably forever remain a mystery to me that some associate sweet baked goods here or even develop pre-Christmas feelings. Perhaps the mere mention of 'cinnamon' is enough for that, much like citricism immediately - all too often - gives birth to toilet bowl analogies. "Nonsense!" I shout as loudly as the 35 ladies shout "Égoïste". The cinnamon here is always dry, the vanilla always dark, neither sticky or sweet, yet warming. They're sometimes contrasts, sometimes additives. And what this melange in the base transports there in distinctive, elegant friendliness, that has so much character, Laytonistas and other love-uncle scents from Marlyland and similarly mild climes can only dream of, if I may also note that. So!

Égoïste has phases yes, movements like a symphony and tempos and loudness change. But there is this one theme that runs through from beginning to end, the proverbial whole that is more than the sum of its parts, the "fragrance Égoïste" as a total sound. As befits a masterpiece.

Note: I apologize for any potential political incorrectness. I was just being ... selfish.
What a name!
Chanel is one of the brands that I personally count among my "Les Indispensables".

To this day, I have not smelled a fragrance from the house, which I did not like.
As you know, there is the Bleu range, of which I owned the EdP for a long time. All three variants are certainly very good in their own way and with none one does in principle something wrong.
Then there is the Allure series, of which I also find many very good and in which you can definitely find among all the flankers.
In addition, there is the Pour Monsieur, which is almost a "must" as EdT or EdP for classic lovers.

All these fragrances have one thing in common: From the basic equipment they are primarily fresh.

In addition, the 80s powerhouse fragrance Antaeus is also available, which certainly (rightly) has its fans. But I personally do not like to wear it, although I consider it very well done.

[...]

But quite different is this Égoïste. Man, what a name...

In the research for my reviews, I also always try to find out something about the name of a fragrance, among other things. Personally, I'm not just interested in the smell, but the big picture. Something specific I did not find out regarding the naming, but master perfumer Jacques Polge will have already thought of something.

Because if you call a fragrance so, then something great must inevitably come around. And it is also how I find. He smells just very different from all other men's Chanel. As if he wants to say "look, I am the way I am. You either like me or you don't."
And like someone who is self-aware and doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. An "egoist" just that...

I actually - for whatever reason - left it out for too long before blind ordering it a few months ago. And I experienced one of those moments that I love so much in this hobby; I smelled the spray head and knew: Oh yes, this is phenomenal! That's what happened to me with Égoïste EdT. And yet, this didn't surprise me, because among the warmer notes, cinnamon is one of the ones I favor the most.

[...]

The fragrance starts very intensely with a fresh and slightly fruity mandarin note, which is however enveloped by clearly perceptible coriander, which provides for a bitter-spicy and sage-like impact. I can well imagine that just this beginning does not appeal to every nose. Because it comes mMn not suitable for the masses. I find the beginning but already excellent, because he has something independent and expressive in itself.

But after a short time, the tangerine with the coriander withdraws and makes room for the cinnamon note, which I like so much and also perceive here. This is how I find already dominant, but it is not too strong and sweet as in other cinnamon-heavy perfumes (eg Calvin Klein's Obsession EdT), because it is made at the same time by a floral chord, which I attribute to the rose, somewhat milder and gentler and is thus harmoniously and perfectly integrated with each other. From this phase onwards, I find the fragrance to be very sensual and elegant. This famose cinnamon rose combination I have namely not been allowed to experience until now in any other fragrance.

Towards the base, the fragrance gets with the sandalwood and vanilla an additional touch of Orient with woody undertone missed.

[...]

Despite its at first sight appearing warm character, you can undoubtedly wear it - except probably in high summer - all year round.

My bottle is from this year, as mentioned. Its durability is with about 6-7 h on my skin for me personally more than satisfactory.
Despite its rather warmer aura, it does not project all too strongly, but this suits me personally. In the first 1 - 1.5 h nehm I still perceive a sillage cloud, before he is still intensely perceptible for the remaining 4-5 h directly on the skin.
Conclusion:

I have smelled and tested all the men Chanels known to me. Besides the Pour Monsieur I personally consider the Égoïste EdT as the best men's fragrance from the house. What was created here already resembles mMn almost an olfactory unique master creation.

This fragrance manages to be classic, but without "old-fashioned" (I do not like this term, therefore in quotes) to act and at the same time so sensual-elegant in its own way as hardly any other fragrance known to me.
Who wears Égoïste, wants to make a statement and does first and foremost itself a favor.

A fascinating perfume with a most exciting name, which I would not want to miss in my collection.

Thank you for reading!

Unparalleled
Égoïste is in a league of its own. Warm and friendly in character. Rich and classy in appearance. It has a clear nineties vibe, but unlike any other perfume from the era. Except for big sister Coco, I guess.

A true pleasure to the nose. Oriental warm spice, creamy sandalwood and a carnation/rose with nuances of dried fruit. In the opening I also get a warm kind of citrus. Tangerine, orange maybe.

After 2-2,5 hours, there's a tipping point in terms of vibrance. The sillage is turned down a few notches. Other than that, the scent is pretty constant and easily makes it past the 10 hour mark.

Every time I wear Égoïste, it creates a 'bubble'. A vibrant glassy/crystalline layer that separates me and my perfume from everything around me. I get that a lot with Chanel. As a result, it doesn't feel naturally 'me', so I'm struggling to find the right occasion to wear it with confidence. Other than cosy sundays at home, that is.
Aliven
Not so selfish through the night...

You don't belong to me at all.
You belonged to someone else. Someone who carried you every day. Basically in every situation. I guess that's called signature scent.

When I first met you, him, you, I became skeptical.
Weed? Marijuana? Did this guy just smoke a joint?
No, he didn't. You did!
Nobody else noticed but me, though.
I still find that thought funny today You were strong. Full of metal and wood and hugging and holding on with a flower in your hand.
And you stayed, even after he had gone.
Sometimes days.
Sometimes nights.
Once I found a T-shirt behind the sofa. It must have been there for 10 days.
You were still there.
Came to stay - like the one whose skin you were glued to.

I don't always like you, alone or on me.
But on him - it seems to be the mixture. A good team.

Even if someone else has changed worlds, and a little life has passed in the meantime, you're still there, in that drawer.
And sometimes I spray you on an old teddy.
Or on his leather jacket, still hanging in the closet.
And it's not so bad anymore.
You will forever be his, as he will forever be mine.

VictorREVictorRE 4 months ago
I love Egoiste! It's complex and it holds it's own against well renowned niche fragrances like Musc Ravageur and L'Air du Desert Marocain.
GreMuserGreMuser 4 months ago
Clean scent with rose and cinnamon undertones, I expected something more complex, but actually is simple. 90's vibes are there anyway.
MatuxMatux 9 months ago
Rose, sandalwood, spices - still contemporary regardless of the years in the market.
WinandVWinandV 12 months ago
Oh Egoïste! This is a very nice warm and spicy scent! Daring choice due to the strong presence of cinnamon, but I have fallen for its charm!
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 1 year ago
It somehow has a magical aura. I smelled it and it immediately took me on a journey
JayNayJayNay 1 year ago
Top A underrated class ass of a scent
Finerthings8Finerthings8 1 year ago
This is the wild one in a nice way.you have to get use to appreciate it.Very unique and daring ,despite it is targeted main stream
HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 years ago
One of the best fragrances of all time. A woody spicy blend that screams sophistication and masculinity. A must-have. 5/5
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 years ago
Égoïste smells like a niche perfume that try to recreate the 80s scents. Strong, manly but yet still elegant. Cinnamon, rose carnation, wood
BodeBode 2 years ago
The scent is fascinating. I enjoy it from top till the base. And I love that I can smell roses when I shower in the evening.

Ich werde auf eure Gräber spucken - Boris Vian
by EveMist
by Hexana
by Hexana
by DemonHead
by DemonHead
by Blödel
Wäre schon eher egocentrique manipulateur....;D
by Achilles
by Andreas09
by Andreas09
by Integral
by Integral
by Isto
by Isto
by Seejungfrau
Der letzte Sonnenuntergang vor der Zeitumstellung gegen 18:30 Uhr...
by JayNay
by Night88
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular by Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Parfum) by Chanel 1957 by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel