Égoïste (1990)Eau de Toilette

Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jacques Helleu
Top 43 in Men's Perfume
Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1990. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCoriander, Mahogany, Mandarin, Rosewood
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Rose, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Leather, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 31.07.2020.

Old love does not rust
Hi, Chanel. What's your name? EGOISTE.
Nice name, I've been smelling all day
on you. Could you imagine a relationship with me? Yes Why not?!!.
You think you're different than everyone else. Slightly fruity at first, then suddenly a bit of spices and great cinnamon. Later a little bit of leather and vanilla. But somehow always sexy and mysterious Years later... Hi selfish I have something new. I'm terribly sorry. But I have to break up with you.
Again years later, at the opening of a perfumery, I accidentally meet Chanel Egoist again.
So how are you Chanel? I'd love to be able to look at you again. Go ahead Damn, that fixes it good. Mysterious sexyness and yet different than all the others.
How could I ever have said goodbye to you?
Would like to try it with you again.
Please give me this one chance.
Okay, but don't screw it up again Still together 20 years later.
Why? Egoists fit together!
The whole world revolves around me because I'm just an egoist The relationship has lasted a long time now, like the fragrance itself. And even with age, the fragrance has lost nothing of its charisma.
I love him
DerDefcon
Yesterday's DNA is today's niche.
If you are looking for a niche, you will find it here, because niche, in my opinion, is defined neither by the price nor by the "difficulty" of testing or buying a fragrance. The last point in particular is one that I always have to smile a little when I hear that it is supposedly so difficult to test or buy product XY in times of globalisation and mail order. This may be true of some of them, but let's face it - they are only a minority. Well, and the fact that the price doesn't make a niche for a long time should be well known to us perfume enthusiasts. So I don't need to talk about that any further, because in the end the fragrance DNA is the absolute be-all and end-all and Chanel's bestseller, the "Égoïste", has quite a lot to offer in this respect.

If "Égoïste" is in fact already a little bit older, this old age can somehow also be determined by his DNA. This is mature, adult, but never old-fashioned or even stale. Remember: old age is not the same as old age - very important! This Chanel is simply not a water that everyone wants to please. One loves it or hates it, there is hardly any "in between".
Our "Égoïste" - this name is so fitting - begins with a good load of cinnamon, which is so dry and dusty that it almost dehydrates the wearer's nose. If you don't know what to do with this spice, you are already completely lost here. I like this slightly stinging, sometimes scratchy feeling in my nose and cinnamon anyway. But if you think that the spice is already gone, you are wrong. The cinnamon canonade is now joined by the clove, which shines with a wonderfully sharp appearance, with a minimal woodiness - of course also dry to the maximum - still resonates. I am hardly able to perceive rose, perhaps only in a very reduced form, since it is wrapped in a dusty cloud of cinnamon and may actually be left out, provided a short, concise description of the fragrance is given.
A little sandalwood is added at the end, but also only with a small drop of creaminess. It simply does not have its otherwise woody sweetness here. The weak taming process in this uncompromising composition is optimal in its weakness, as it keeps the "Do I like/hate I play" perfectly going and a "Joa, don't know if I like him", i.e. an in-between, is still not to be thought of. This Chanel omits the cuddly, angular and edgy scents that are often found in other fragrances, because if edgy, spicy and woody scent compositions are often diluted with a lot of sweet stuff at the end, just to avoid any nasty taste, Jacques Polge and François Demachy in the case of "Égoïste" did not use such an adaptation that conforms to the taste of the masses.

In conclusion, however, I must criticize that I am not entirely satisfied with the durability of this fragrance. With an autumn or winter scent I simply expect a little more. As long as the fragrance is on the skin, the radiance is not from bad parents for the first few hours. Maybe my nose adapts this spice only quite fast and it is still there longer than I think. This would have to be investigated again, which is why I will not make an evaluation in this regard for the time being.

Gold In The Bottle
Gold in the bottle is simplistic. When a perfume is a work of art, inimitable. I was 16 when I entered for the first time alone in a perfumery of a shopping center to buy my first perfume. , my first perfume.
Not really a scent for kids, perfect for gentlemen with low temperatures.
I speak of the old version, a powerful opening, a mandarin made sweet by rosewood. A gloomy, woody heart made sweet by cinnamon that never disturbs, dusty. rose, vanilla, and class.
The old version is so much stuff, all of it, rich, sweet, woody, I would spend hours smelling it. A woody oriental dessert.
I advise you to smell the old version, with the word eau de toilette written above the word Chanel. The older it is, the better it is.
Good duration, because of his goodness, you would always have him on, tireless. Among the best in the world

Rating: 9.5
Volker1964
My dear Herr Gesangsverein, a horny smell .....
I was given a sample of this fragrance as a gift. Then I tested it for a few days and ordered 100ml EdT. How do I like it ? Let's go:
Top note: The top note is already quite powerful. Wood notes quite strong. Discreetly pleasant, green freshness. Well spiced with very discreet fruit. Fruit rather in the background, wood dominates very clearly. For the top note already quite complex.
Heart note: It remains strong and quite woody. Very subtle floral note, more a touch. A hint of spicy cinnamon, not sweet!
Base note: wood still quite present, in addition strong and noble leather. A good portion of tobacco is added. Overall quite complex and very versatile. Fresh, green note pleasant, a bit more subtle than in the beginning. Also in the base this scent doesn't weaken.
Conclusion: Chanel Egoiste is a mMn already exceptional fragrance. It smells strong, powerful and has a certain old school touch, although it is quite modern. A fragrance more for leisure time, for me less for work. Complex ? Yes! Exerted ? Possibly, but I personally don't mind. Striking ? In any case, I like it (leisure). If you like strong or striking fragrances, this mMn is not a bad choice. Lasts a good 8 hours with me.
Chizza
I can't explain it... but the scent is fascinating
Of course I can already explain it, the base notes are really all the perfume components I appreciate and combine here to a high-quality result. Other perfumes I find really great when I smell them, egoist is different. Sometimes I catch myself thinking why I didn't spray an egoist today, the fragrance is kind of old and conservative but it has such a sublime aura. All too often I cannot perceive him in my surroundings either. Here and there you meet the Sauvages, Aventus and AdP of this world (which I also appreciate all of them) but egoists or even an Antaeus are hardly to be found. Kind of dropped out but very stylish. For me a great office fragrance also in the course of customer appointments

My love
My first fragrance love that started it all. Still my biggest love. Many say its the male version of Bois des Iles, but I think its a more slimmed down version of Coco (my second favorite). The far dry down of the Vintage smells a lot like Egoiste. Florals removed, sandalwood amped up. The rose note is actually made up of damascones, famously used in Shiseidos Nombre Noir and Coco. They have a smell of rose and dried fruits. Egoiste never smells fruity on me, but MyMickers (RIP) seemed to got it sometimes... I get 10 hours out of Egoiste, but even later when I have a hot shower after a long day it reactivates and fills the shower with its heavenly aroma. This is seriously the last thing I want to smell before I die.
Eizzi
Not only made for egoists ! :)
A fragrance that lives up to its name!
In the 90's when I was a young teenager, and still living at home, I knew the smell of my mother. It was standing in her bathroom cabinet and every time I saw the bottle I had to spray it and it shook me a lot because this fragrance smells really intense and provocative. I thought so when I was 12. It has to be said that I had my "passion for perfume even at that age. I always had to sniff every bottle.

Good. Now let's move on to the present. I myself have owned this fragrance for some time now and I must say I love smelling it on myself! Often only for ME. Which is close to the name of the fragrance. I do not want to say that this fragrance can only be worn by an egoist, no quite the opposite. Personally I think that you have to show a good portion of self-confidence, because he is already very loud and potent. In some noses there is also something disturbing and obtrusive. In the first few seconds, a little more... a spicy note unfolds in combination with a note of aldehyde It is of course all my personal impression. In the Drydown the cinnamon then comes out very strongly :) Unfortunately I can't say much about the durability yet, because I have to test it even better first. But for a unique men's fragrance, "vintage fragrance", one must almost say, it's just BRUTAL ! I like him a lot!

Conclusion:
A fragrance that is not made for everyone. One loves him, the other hates him :) In my eyes it has a very polarizing effect. Definitely one of my favourite scents ! Nevertheless, if you wear it on your skin, you also have a bit of character in you :)
Duftrebellen
The bad lady wants it selfish. So do I.
Chanel Égoiste - at that time recommended by a dear friend, today perceived by wicked strangers ladies. No matter how many people like this fragrance or not, it can hardly be denied that it attracts attention. Damn, and how he does it. No fragrance that smells so "mainstream" and yet so "different" at the same time has come under my nose in recent years, like this Égoiste.

When I bought the fragrance as a bottling and tried it out almost a year ago, I was amazed at how different a fragrance can smell, the history of its creation going back exactly 30 years. For me, this eau de toilette had something evil, like a snake, like the color poisonous green and probably also like its bite The durability is above average, the Sillage adheres pleasantly strong. The top note surprises at the beginning of the application with a multitude of fresh scents, which nevertheless do not whitewash the evil main character, but rather go along with it, at most holding it back a little. After half an hour, it's time for the heart note, which now reveals more of the true face of the Égoist - the notes become darker, spicier, but still fresh. This note smells the most pleasant to my senses and lasts for several hours.
Especially when you're on the road and in your everyday life, you don't even notice that the heart note eventually peels out into the base note. If you consciously smell the base note, you can still clearly see which eau de toilette you have applied, but you want to experience the pleasant bite that lasted the first few hours, which makes you think about whether this fragrance will be used again tomorrow. Even in the base note, the fragrance is still perceived by people. Whether in positive or negative is probably dependent on each character itself. To my astonishment, in the few days I wore it, the fragrance was appreciated by women with two compliments (three compliments, if you consider the mere perception of a fragrance also a compliment).

I was very surprised by this smell. It is one of the only fragrances in my collection to date, whose creation began in the last millennium - at least according to my research. If you like scents that catch the eye. Who likes fragrances that are different. If you like fragrances that don't have a problem being perceived as selfish or even being called that - for you, Chanel has created this Égoiste.

A.
DerR
Who am I - and if so, how many?
Admittedly, I have never read this book by Mr Precht, or even dealt with this work in any way, but nevertheless this title appeared to me in my mind's eye after I had bought a bottle of Égoïste.
I have never experienced a perfume that shows so many faces as this one. (Admittedly, I have not yet dealt with as many as a large number of Parfumo members have certainly done)
I cannot say with absolute accuracy whether this phenomenon is simply due to different daytime temperatures, or whether my olfactory organ simply interprets the scent molecules very subjectively.
Fact is: on my skin Égoïste develops mainly in three different ways.
The first would be rose and something woody The second one would be towards vanilla And the third one would be towards cinnamon.
The third type of development is certainly the least common. It is also the most interesting, because the cinnamon does not come creeping and slowly, but suddenly bursts out tumultuously and quite audibly.
The process is comparable to the following situation: You have invited 7 people in the morning. 6 come one by one and say goodbye again after a few hours each. The guests have left and they have put their house in order and now want to recover from the demanding day. Suddenly the door is unexpectedly broken open and the 7th guest stands there. Surprisingly he's coming after all! Unexpectedly and alone on a wide corridor he suddenly stands in the room.
After an initial surprise, invite him in and let the day end in a pleasant atmosphere
Whether one is really an egoist when one wears Égoïste I cannot judge completely.
Because when I put it on, I love to smell it in almost all its facets. I probably like him 9 times out of 10.
But as so often, there is unfortunately also a "but". There are days I can't do anything with it. I just don't feel comfortable there. I just smell something sweet and spicy and I ask myself: Why did you buy this again, no one can stand it?
But since I have never been negatively addressed to Égoïste I doubt that all my fellow human beings feel bothered by this scent.

I would rather say the content of the vial is the egoist who does what he wants and wants to show all his personalities!

Plasmic
Falling in love with yourself
Entering perfumeries back in the day and picking random stuff I knew nothing about, judging them all from a like/dislike perspective, I met this simple designed yet classy bottle on the shelf that had this intriguing name written on it and I just hit the trigger. Loved it and hated it at the same time. I remember the opening being pungent and sour, having a non gourmand sweetness attached to it, and even if it felt so harsh and not me I kept thinking about it for about 7 years when I finaly decided to make a purchase. It's one of my fragrances that make me smile before and after I spray it. It's such a masterpiece, has so much personality and charm you couldn't possibly confuse it with other scent. Staple!

BodeBode 68 days ago
The scent is fascinating. I enjoy it from top till the base. And I love that I can smell roses when I shower in the evening.
Dan81Dan81 76 days ago
Egoistic but not narcissistic, stand offish but warm and even sweet occasionally. My first scent that will always be in my collection.
ElysiumElysium 93 days ago
It doesn't smell as if you’ve just come out of the shower. Still, it's inviolable, woody, spicy, with dark flowers and dry fruits. Selfish!
TruckladyTrucklady 14 months ago
George Orwell forgot the line in 1984 where Big Brother stated that all men wear this in the presence of post pubescent women. Classic stuff
Jazzy76Jazzy76 21 months ago
A spicy -Woody timeless masterpiece whose I'll never forget the 90es advertisement! Classy and longlasting.Good for Her too!
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 23 months ago
A classic statement of the 90s. I don't usually like the DNA of "old" (not really that old) perfumes but this one is stunning!

Ich werde auf eure Gräber spucken - Boris Vian
by EveMist
by Hexana
by Hexana
by DemonHead
by DemonHead
by Pistazieneis
Wäre schon eher egocentrique manipulateur....;D
by Achilles
by Andreas09
by Andreas09
by Blödel
by Blödel
by Jaromil
Erste Wassersportversuche am Baggersee  :-) Der Wellengang war sehr bescheiden.
by Integral
by Integral
by Seejungfrau
Der letzte Sonnenuntergang vor der Zeitumstellung gegen 18:30 Uhr...
by Isto
by Night88
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel 1957 by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel 31 Rue Cambon (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel