Égoïste 1990 Eau de Toilette

Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jacques Helleu
Top 44 in Men's Perfume
Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1990. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesCorianderCoriander
LeatherLeather
SandalwoodSandalwood
TobaccoTobacco
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 31.07.2021.

What a name!
Chanel is one of the brands that I personally count among my "Les Indispensables".

To this day, I have not smelled a fragrance from the house, which I did not like.
As you know, there is the Bleu range, of which I owned the EdP for a long time. All three variants are certainly very good in their own way and with none one does in principle something wrong.
Then there is the Allure series, of which I also find many very good and in which you can definitely find among all the flankers.
In addition, there is the Pour Monsieur, which is almost a "must" as EdT or EdP for classic lovers.

All these fragrances have one thing in common: From the basic equipment they are primarily fresh.

In addition, the 80s powerhouse fragrance Antaeus is also available, which certainly (rightly) has its fans. But I personally do not like to wear it, although I consider it very well done.

[...]

But quite different is this Égoïste. Man, what a name...

In the research for my reviews, I also always try to find out something about the name of a fragrance, among other things. Personally, I'm not just interested in the smell, but the big picture. Something specific I did not find out regarding the naming, but master perfumer Jacques Polge will have already thought of something.

Because if you call a fragrance so, then something great must inevitably come around. And it is also how I find. He smells just very different from all other men's Chanel. As if he wants to say "look, I am the way I am. You either like me or you don't."
And like someone who is self-aware and doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. An "egoist" just that...

I actually - for whatever reason - left it out for too long before blind ordering it a few months ago. And I experienced one of those moments that I love so much in this hobby; I smelled the spray head and knew: Oh yes, this is phenomenal! That's what happened to me with Égoïste EdT. And yet, this didn't surprise me, because among the warmer notes, cinnamon is one of the ones I favor the most.

[...]

The fragrance starts very intensely with a fresh and slightly fruity mandarin note, which is however enveloped by clearly perceptible coriander, which provides for a bitter-spicy and sage-like impact. I can well imagine that just this beginning does not appeal to every nose. Because it comes mMn not suitable for the masses. I find the beginning but already excellent, because he has something independent and expressive in itself.

But after a short time, the tangerine with the coriander withdraws and makes room for the cinnamon note, which I like so much and also perceive here. This is how I find already dominant, but it is not too strong and sweet as in other cinnamon-heavy perfumes (eg Calvin Klein's Obsession EdT), because it is made at the same time by a floral chord, which I attribute to the rose, somewhat milder and gentler and is thus harmoniously and perfectly integrated with each other. From this phase onwards, I find the fragrance to be very sensual and elegant. This famose cinnamon rose combination I have namely not been allowed to experience until now in any other fragrance.

Towards the base, the fragrance gets with the sandalwood and vanilla an additional touch of Orient with woody undertone missed.

[...]

Despite its at first sight appearing warm character, you can undoubtedly wear it - except probably in high summer - all year round.

My bottle is from this year, as mentioned. Its durability is with about 6-7 h on my skin for me personally more than satisfactory.
Despite its rather warmer aura, it does not project all too strongly, but this suits me personally. In the first 1 - 1.5 h nehm I still perceive a sillage cloud, before he is still intensely perceptible for the remaining 4-5 h directly on the skin.
Conclusion:

I have smelled and tested all the men Chanels known to me. Besides the Pour Monsieur I personally consider the Égoïste EdT as the best men's fragrance from the house. What was created here already resembles mMn almost an olfactory unique master creation.

This fragrance manages to be classic, but without "old-fashioned" (I do not like this term, therefore in quotes) to act and at the same time so sensual-elegant in its own way as hardly any other fragrance known to me.
Who wears Égoïste, wants to make a statement and does first and foremost itself a favor.

A fascinating perfume with a most exciting name, which I would not want to miss in my collection.

Thank you for reading!

Unparalleled
Égoïste is in a league of its own. Warm and friendly in character. Rich and classy in appearance. It has a clear nineties vibe, but unlike any other perfume from the era. Except for big sister Coco, I guess.

A true pleasure to the nose. Oriental warm spice, creamy sandalwood and a carnation/rose with nuances of dried fruit. In the opening I also get a warm kind of citrus. Tangerine, orange maybe.

After 2-2,5 hours, there's a tipping point in terms of vibrance. The sillage is turned down a few notches. Other than that, the scent is pretty constant and easily makes it past the 10 hour mark.

Every time I wear Égoïste, it creates a 'bubble'. A vibrant glassy/crystalline layer that separates me and my perfume from everything around me. I get that a lot with Chanel. As a result, it doesn't feel naturally 'me', so I'm struggling to find the right occasion to wear it with confidence. Other than cosy sundays at home, that is.
Aliven
Not so selfish through the night...

You don't belong to me at all.
You belonged to someone else. Someone who carried you every day. Basically in every situation. I guess that's called signature scent.

When I first met you, him, you, I became skeptical.
Weed? Marijuana? Did this guy just smoke a joint?
No, he didn't. You did!
Nobody else noticed but me, though.
I still find that thought funny today You were strong. Full of metal and wood and hugging and holding on with a flower in your hand.
And you stayed, even after he had gone.
Sometimes days.
Sometimes nights.
Once I found a T-shirt behind the sofa. It must have been there for 10 days.
You were still there.
Came to stay - like the one whose skin you were glued to.

I don't always like you, alone or on me.
But on him - it seems to be the mixture. A good team.

Even if someone else has changed worlds, and a little life has passed in the meantime, you're still there, in that drawer.
And sometimes I spray you on an old teddy.
Or on his leather jacket, still hanging in the closet.
And it's not so bad anymore.
You will forever be his, as he will forever be mine.
MrMagic
In between the decades, there's a first-person account..
Dear friends of the classics,

today it's about Chanel Egoiste - Again, a fragrance that I was particularly interested by its presentation.
The commercial, the praise on Parfumo and the simple bottle, provided with "Egoiste - Chanel Paris" made me so curious that the fragrance on my now very large watch list slipped significantly up. I could then still get a good 30ml at a reasonable price blind and must anticipate: I was not disappointed!
Egoiste starts getting used to in good oldschool manner. Coriander, wood and a slight sweetness set the tone here for me, although I still could not quite determine whether the sweetness is the tangerine or the already incipient cinnamon.
Relatively quickly now put the clove and a so far for me still very dry cinnamon in the foreground. Here also lies my biggest problem with Egoiste - a problem with the garden carnation.
This I could not stand already with "New York Intense", too stale, too intense comes to me this note therefore, besides, I'm basically not the biggest fan of cloves in general, so I give this in the kitchen also rather little attention. But when I look at the entire presentation of Egoiste with its very wintry scent character, the clove is probably still just part of it. Since anyway the cinnamon gradually takes over the helm as the main actor of the fragrance and the clove moves into the background, I can also live well with this note after multiple tests.
Up to this point, however, I understand: Egoiste is not everyone's cup of tea.
After about 30 minutes, amber hints, after just under 45 minutes, a clear vanilla note follows. The cinnamon is meanwhile increasingly moist, intense and authentic. This is the part of the fragrance that I like best and that fascinates me. I have to think here of strong cinnamon rolls in the spice drawer and fortunately times not of cinnamon-sugar-pamper, as it is today gladly in fragrances gepanscht.
Egoiste develops over time clearly different than the prelude would suggest it, although this is not entirely lost. This is probably the aspect that many perfumos see as a bridge between oldschool and newer fragrance compositions and I would like to agree. Cinnamon, amber and vanilla remain dominant for me until the end, with a very subtle sandalwood coming more to the fore towards the end. Synthetics is a foreign word for this fragrance - good so!

The performance can really be seen. Although Egoiste is absolutely no "beast", but belongs to the stronger fragrances and is clearly perceptible. Sparingly dosed, this can therefore also be worn in the office, just the durability turns out on my skin between 11-12 hours. On clothes Egoiste lasts much longer, but for my sensation somehow musty with time, so that I leave it with this fragrance to spray the skin. That already fits so, he is strong enough.

Flacon and sprayer convince freely according to the motto "less is more". Although this does not fit the then yet quite complex fragrance, but to the cool and distant, perhaps even sublime presentation.
Chanel's Egoiste can really be seen, here you get a lot for your money and has the perfect winter men's fragrance, if it should not be stale, but also not generic-pleasing, as is the case with many new releases today. The bottom line is that this makes the scent timeless for me. He is indeed more suitable for older (from 30 years plus) gentlemen, but here is of course again simply to wear what you like. Visually I see the fragrance nevertheless something finer seeming, a hoodie fits here simply not.
From me there is a clear purchase recommendation.

Thanks for reading!

INDIGOSPHINX
the dry down of two fragrances
first of all.
this> Platinum Egoiste for me.

I won't go into notes as it is useless and redundant.

however, I want to discuss the dry down.

the dry fruits accord in this smells like a whiskey of some sort, with that cherry like sweetness. And I only get this dry down when I spray on my skin. This dry down reminds me Bel Ami Vetiver. If you own that, you know that once the bottle ages, you can absolutely get a gorgeous dried fruitiness from there.

On clothes, I get a different dry down. It's like a Sandalwood+Rose/Geranium smell that is HIGHLY close to Equipage Geranium. If I didn't know better they almost smell identical. I somehow don't detect the cinammon here, but cloves.

Performance on me is average to low, perhaps due to olfactory fatigue. Which I'm ok with because this scent profile shouldn't be beastly as to offend average consumer noses around me.

Edit:
An update, this performance is VERY POOR (2020 batch). I don't think it's olfactory fatigue. So because of this poor projection, I think it can be worn in summer because the heat help you to enjoy the beauty of EGoiste more.
Reagenz
Selfish since early youth...
...I was about twelve when there was the first commercial on TV of this Chanel fragrance. Many well-dressed women kept shouting Egoiste and waiting for this man to make a scanty appearance and put a bottle on the parapet.... It was the time when my big sister had her first boyfriend in the early 90s. And she wanted to introduce me to him proudly and took me to meet him at his apartment. It was a guy without big words and he was more interested in my sister, her lips than in me, but he smelled exceptionally good. After much boredom, five lemonades and certainly ten comics later there on the spot, I discovered a bottle in the bathroom with him. Aha a Chanel Egoiste, times smell what he can, curiously pulled off the cap and sprayed a strong push on my upper body. Wahnsinnsduft, this spice and the woods, as well as the slightly fruity note with the recorded rose scent drew me immediately under his spell (at that time he smelled just so good without knowing what's inside ;), from this point he let me no longer loose. Always I ran with my young years in the perfumeries and used the favor of the hour around me with Chanel Egoiste to soak. A purchase was sadly a long way off as I lacked the wherewithal at twelve. Three years later, my love for Egoiste continued to burn unrestrictedly (in contrast, my big sister's love for her boyfriend at the time died out). At the age of fifteen I finally bought my own bottle from the proceeds of the newspaper delivery. It was my signature scent for a very long time. As many have already said, this fragrance is not for everyone and certainly not a true "comliment-getter". You either fall for it completely or find it off-putting. I can always wear it whether it suits the situation or not; selfishly so. I have had to buy so many new bottles to date that I have lost count of them in order to satisfy my craving for this fragrance (along with its reformulations), including Egoiste After Shave, of course. Now I leave the fragrance more often in the closet to give others a chance to assert themselves ;) The fragrance will always have a place of honor with me. For me this fragrance DNA is unique. A triple high on the perfumers. Definitely not a blind buy !!! Caution !!! , can make addicted for decades.
Unsuess
This scent doesn't fit any man I know..
Classics or not: Although I am now over 40, this fragrance does not fit any man I know. It is also difficult for me to imagine how such a man should look at all. The marketing department of Chanel could not imagine that probably even so right, which is why you get to see only the hand of the wearer in the commercial from that time.

Admittedly: If you have arrived after a few hours at the base notes, you can slowly venture out the door with Egoiste, but then you can also take the same Trumper Sandalwood Cologne, which smells similar in the finish and top rum from the beginning is much less intrusive.

Me, Me, Me, My, I...
Who's wearing that wonderful scent?
It's me!

What in the heck is that awful synthetic smell?
It's me!

Notes of sandalwood, tobacco, vanilla, rose, and various spices: who in their right mind would wear this synthetic mess of notes?

I would.
I would wear this.
I do wear this.
I love it.

My bottle is a 2020 batch and I'm finding it has some excellent performance: projection 4 - 6 hours, skin scent for at least 12 hours.

The scent itself certainly fits in with the spicy, woody scents of the very late-80's, early-90's. Except Égoïste contains no patchouli or lavender notes, making it very noticeable among all of the other hits released during that time.
The disfigured moose
In Chanel's Egoist the following fictitious scene (often very close to reality) opens up on Christmas Eve in a German living room of the "heavily" upper middle class. The lady of the house has decided to cook something contrary to her usual habits in expectation of a 14-day stay on a beauty farm.... On the menu is "Ragout fin", whereby neither the puff pastry cones nor the organic chicken fricassee is based on her cooking skills, but was flown in by the delicatessen Gupta... After the fourth glass of mulled wine, dad is standing next to the completely overloaded Christmas tree in a red, coarse knitted sweater with a completely distorted neon-green elk on it... out of the diffuser it smells of cinnamon, apple and cookies.... the 14 year old daughter had the hip idea to alienate daddy's favourite eau-de-toilet...
Despite all the enthusiasm for (above all) older works by Chanel (Pour Monsieur, Antaeus, Platinum), one is more affected by the mode of escape ... first encounters were already in the late 90s and only recently in an arbitrary department store perfumery - both no love at first sight. Admittedly it remains unfair to judge such pre-gourmand scents, if you don't like sweet or sweet anyway, but excuse me - the egoist is quite arbitrary... a bit like the unloved, sweetly smiling neighbour on the ground floor who always smells like gingerbread. Much better does the wonderful quorum "Silver" who is moving in the same cosmos but fortunately doesn't march in the same direction and is available for very little money... Sorry, even the naming, which mistakenly promises something edgy and unconventional, is completely off the mark... with a little imagination, it could be the signature scent of the CEO of Weissella
Pollita
Attack of the clone warriors
The title of this Star Wars film adaptation seemed appropriate for the perfume world today. How often do you stumble upon another clone of a blockbuster Mostly it is Aventus, which is copied by many brands, both cheap and very expensive. Often it's also the fragrances of Roja Dove or Tom Ford that you'll find somewhere, often packaged in a bottle of another brand. And often this garment, is it by Guerlain, for example, is identical or even more beautiful. At least for my nose
But it is not new to pour the same juice into a different bowl. In the nineties and at the beginning of the 2000s this was already practised. Only there were not so many possibilities to compare, because the internet was just coming and so no one noticed it at that time
And so it was that my husband and I already knew the wonderful Égoïste of Chanel. This warm and spicy combination accompanied us for quite some time in our youth. With this scent I learned to appreciate coriander and not only as a Christmas spice. And in this leathery presentation, caressed with tobacco and vanilla, I even liked cinnamon, which, on the other hand, often disturbs me in women's fragrances. There's even a rose that neither I nor my husband would have noticed. Otherwise my husband would not have chosen this Égoïste clone when he was young, because rose is even less popular with him than with me. (Editor's note: Also at me only those scents are tolerated, where the rose is not immediately recognizable as such).

Égoïste has style, is timeless, wonderfully classic and anything but old-fashioned. Égoïste is back to the roots, I'd almost say, with all the sweets these days who want to jump on this tobacco+vanilla bandwagon and use this combination to create a Christmas market association. Égoïste just doesn't do that, because here we also have some sweetness in the base, but this is a fragrance that is good for a man through and through. If you want a real nineties feeling, give this one a try!

And now, of course, I still haven't told you the name of the fragrance that Mr. Pollito had at that time. It was the now discontinued Route 66 Mystic Road, which apparently smells sweet and citric. Which he did not do. Because this was a very successful clone of the Chanel classic!

Many thanks to Chizza for the sample.

WinandVWinandV 2 months ago
Oh Egoïste! This is a very nice warm and spicy scent! Daring choice due to the strong presence of cinnamon, but I have fallen for its charm!
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 3 months ago
It somehow has a magical aura. I smelled it and it immediately took me on a journey
JayNayJayNay 5 months ago
Top A underrated class ass of a scent
Finerthings8Finerthings8 5 months ago
This is the wild one in a nice way.you have to get use to appreciate it.Very unique and daring ,despite it is targeted main stream
HugoMontezHugoMontez 9 months ago
One of the best fragrances of all time. A woody spicy blend that screams sophistication and masculinity. A must-have. 5/5
BertolucciKBertolucciK 11 months ago
Égoïste smells like a niche perfume that try to recreate the 80s scents. Strong, manly but yet still elegant. Cinnamon, rose carnation, wood
BodeBode 1 year ago
The scent is fascinating. I enjoy it from top till the base. And I love that I can smell roses when I shower in the evening.
Dan81Dan81 1 year ago
Egoistic but not narcissistic, stand offish but warm and even sweet occasionally. My first scent that will always be in my collection.
ElysiumElysium 1 year ago
It doesn't smell as if you’ve just come out of the shower. Still, it's inviolable, woody, spicy, with dark flowers and dry fruits. Selfish!
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
George Orwell forgot the line in 1984 where Big Brother stated that all men wear this in the presence of post pubescent women. Classic stuff

Ich werde auf eure Gräber spucken - Boris Vian
by EveMist
by Hexana
by Hexana
by DemonHead
by DemonHead
by Blödel
Wäre schon eher egocentrique manipulateur....;D
by Achilles
by Andreas09
by Andreas09
by Integral
by Integral
by Isto
by Isto
by Seejungfrau
Der letzte Sonnenuntergang vor der Zeitumstellung gegen 18:30 Uhr...
by JayNay
by Night88
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel