Égoïste 1990 Eau de Toilette

Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jacques Helleu
Top 44 in Men's Perfume
Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1990. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesCoriander, Mahogany, Mandarin orange, Rosewood
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Rose, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Leather, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 12.04.2021.

INDIGOSPHINX
the dry down of two fragrances
first of all.
this> Platinum Egoiste for me.

I won't go into notes as it is useless and redundant.

however, I want to discuss the dry down.

the dry fruits accord in this smells like a whiskey of some sort, with that cherry like sweetness. And I only get this dry down when I spray on my skin. This dry down reminds me Bel Ami Vetiver. If you own that, you know that once the bottle ages, you can absolutely get a gorgeous dried fruitiness from there.

On clothes, I get a different dry down. It's like a Sandalwood+Rose/Geranium smell that is HIGHLY close to Equipage Geranium. If I didn't know better they almost smell identical. I somehow don't detect the cinammon here, but cloves.

Performance on me is average to low, perhaps due to olfactory fatigue. Which I'm ok with because this scent profile shouldn't be beastly as to offend average consumer noses around me.
Reagenz
Selfish since early youth...
...I was about twelve when there was the first commercial on TV of this Chanel fragrance. Many well-dressed women kept shouting Egoiste and waiting for this man to make a scanty appearance and put a bottle on the parapet.... It was the time when my big sister had her first boyfriend in the early 90s. And she wanted to introduce me to him proudly and took me to meet him at his apartment. It was a guy without big words and he was more interested in my sister, her lips than in me, but he smelled exceptionally good. After much boredom, five lemonades and certainly ten comics later there on the spot, I discovered a bottle in the bathroom with him. Aha a Chanel Egoiste, times smell what he can, curiously pulled off the cap and sprayed a strong push on my upper body. Wahnsinnsduft, this spice and the woods, as well as the slightly fruity note with the recorded rose scent drew me immediately under his spell (at that time he smelled just so good without knowing what's inside ;), from this point he let me no longer loose. Always I ran with my young years in the perfumeries and used the favor of the hour around me with Chanel Egoiste to soak. A purchase was sadly a long way off as I lacked the wherewithal at twelve. Three years later, my love for Egoiste continued to burn unrestrictedly (in contrast, my big sister's love for her boyfriend at the time died out). At the age of fifteen I finally bought my own bottle from the proceeds of the newspaper delivery. It was my signature scent for a very long time. As many have already said, this fragrance is not for everyone and certainly not a true "comliment-getter". You either fall for it completely or find it off-putting. I can always wear it whether it suits the situation or not; selfishly so. I have had to buy so many new bottles to date that I have lost count of them in order to satisfy my craving for this fragrance (along with its reformulations), including Egoiste After Shave, of course. Now I leave the fragrance more often in the closet to give others a chance to assert themselves ;) The fragrance will always have a place of honor with me. For me this fragrance DNA is unique. A triple high on the perfumers. Definitely not a blind buy !!! Caution !!! , can make addicted for decades.
Unsuess
This scent doesn't fit any man I know..
Classics or not: Although I am now over 40, this fragrance does not fit any man I know. It is also difficult for me to imagine how such a man should look at all. The marketing department of Chanel could not imagine that probably even so right, which is why you get to see only the hand of the wearer in the commercial from that time.

Admittedly: If you have arrived after a few hours at the base notes, you can slowly venture out the door with Egoiste, but then you can also take the same Trumper Sandalwood Cologne, which smells similar in the finish and top rum from the beginning is much less intrusive.

Me, Me, Me, My, I...
Who's wearing that wonderful scent?
It's me!

What in the heck is that awful synthetic smell?
It's me!

Notes of sandalwood, tobacco, vanilla, rose, and various spices: who in their right mind would wear this synthetic mess of notes?

I would.
I would wear this.
I do wear this.
I love it.

My bottle is a 2020 batch and I'm finding it has some excellent performance: projection 4 - 6 hours, skin scent for at least 12 hours.

The scent itself certainly fits in with the spicy, woody scents of the very late-80's, early-90's. Except Égoïste contains no patchouli or lavender notes, making it very noticeable among all of the other hits released during that time.
The disfigured moose
In Chanel's Egoist the following fictitious scene (often very close to reality) opens up on Christmas Eve in a German living room of the "heavily" upper middle class. The lady of the house has decided to cook something contrary to her usual habits in expectation of a 14-day stay on a beauty farm.... On the menu is "Ragout fin", whereby neither the puff pastry cones nor the organic chicken fricassee is based on her cooking skills, but was flown in by the delicatessen Gupta... After the fourth glass of mulled wine, dad is standing next to the completely overloaded Christmas tree in a red, coarse knitted sweater with a completely distorted neon-green elk on it... out of the diffuser it smells of cinnamon, apple and cookies.... the 14 year old daughter had the hip idea to alienate daddy's favourite eau-de-toilet...
Despite all the enthusiasm for (above all) older works by Chanel (Pour Monsieur, Antaeus, Platinum), one is more affected by the mode of escape ... first encounters were already in the late 90s and only recently in an arbitrary department store perfumery - both no love at first sight. Admittedly it remains unfair to judge such pre-gourmand scents, if you don't like sweet or sweet anyway, but excuse me - the egoist is quite arbitrary... a bit like the unloved, sweetly smiling neighbour on the ground floor who always smells like gingerbread. Much better does the wonderful quorum "Silver" who is moving in the same cosmos but fortunately doesn't march in the same direction and is available for very little money... Sorry, even the naming, which mistakenly promises something edgy and unconventional, is completely off the mark... with a little imagination, it could be the signature scent of the CEO of Weissella
Pollita
Attack of the clone warriors
The title of this Star Wars film adaptation seemed appropriate for the perfume world today. How often do you stumble upon another clone of a blockbuster Mostly it is Aventus, which is copied by many brands, both cheap and very expensive. Often it's also the fragrances of Roja Dove or Tom Ford that you'll find somewhere, often packaged in a bottle of another brand. And often this garment, is it by Guerlain, for example, is identical or even more beautiful. At least for my nose
But it is not new to pour the same juice into a different bowl. In the nineties and at the beginning of the 2000s this was already practised. Only there were not so many possibilities to compare, because the internet was just coming and so no one noticed it at that time
And so it was that my husband and I already knew the wonderful Égoïste of Chanel. This warm and spicy combination accompanied us for quite some time in our youth. With this scent I learned to appreciate coriander and not only as a Christmas spice. And in this leathery presentation, caressed with tobacco and vanilla, I even liked cinnamon, which, on the other hand, often disturbs me in women's fragrances. There's even a rose that neither I nor my husband would have noticed. Otherwise my husband would not have chosen this Égoïste clone when he was young, because rose is even less popular with him than with me. (Editor's note: Also at me only those scents are tolerated, where the rose is not immediately recognizable as such).

Égoïste has style, is timeless, wonderfully classic and anything but old-fashioned. Égoïste is back to the roots, I'd almost say, with all the sweets these days who want to jump on this tobacco+vanilla bandwagon and use this combination to create a Christmas market association. Égoïste just doesn't do that, because here we also have some sweetness in the base, but this is a fragrance that is good for a man through and through. If you want a real nineties feeling, give this one a try!

And now, of course, I still haven't told you the name of the fragrance that Mr. Pollito had at that time. It was the now discontinued Route 66 Mystic Road, which apparently smells sweet and citric. Which he did not do. Because this was a very successful clone of the Chanel classic!

Many thanks to Chizza for the sample.
The perfect man
If there is one fragrance that is REALLY timeless and classic, it is the now thirty-year-old classic from Chanel. I don't need to describe the course of the fragrance, it is known in many ways, except that it is the most masculine cinnamon scent I have ever come across. This is a fragrance for any man who is truly confident. When I smell it, I may fall in love with this man immediately, as there are still few men who wear it. Full score!!!
The Egoist
A year and a half beside me the man and his fragrance
so warm so familiar the woody spicy cinnamon-clove vanilla
the perfume as room filling as the man
recently met again
the smell so warm and familiar, the man a stranger
N471v3
Égoïste - French for "selfish". German for "supergeil".
And yes, it's easy to become selfish when you're carrying something this great
Background.
I can still vaguely remember the last time I tested Égoïste in a department store about 2 years ago.
Fast, loveless, on paper, maybe even a little biased.

Because the first chords that fly towards you here smell a bit like the day before yesterday, a bit dusty
Slightly fougere-like fragrance image, tamed by cinnamon sweet, carnation, coriander, rosewood... olfactory spines without end.
Don't be surprised if your girlfriend tells you, "you smell good but a bit like daddy."!

But years later, one has tried so many things again, and yet the soul is always looking for something new.
One reads something here, and there, one is reminded of certain things by scents...

And poof, me, standing in the orange "M", and testing some aged classics.

Only this time a trick:
I spray a few things on test strips that I label. I don't smell anyone. I'm gonna take the car home again real quick
And test an hour later.

And wow... i am more than surprised. Well Égoïste is just really special, and has a very delicate touch. You just shouldn't sniff too close and not spray too much. We come from an economical time, and it should be enough to spray 1x properly! This way you can get along with the bottle for a long time.

Right? ;)

Finally, the next test on my body, I was completely addicted to the smell... every time I got a spray of it on my chest, it smelled a little different And every time, unbeatable good.
It's as if the sweet, almost powdery nuances are fighting with the spicy nuances all the time. Like two snakes intertwined, each trying to wrap its neck around the other's to defeat them.
But none wins, because they are exactly the same strength...

All this is embedded in a nice woody basket, so that it doesn't get too dusty and degenerate during the fight! ;)

It is therefore a fragrance that challenges you a little bit with every scent, but in a way that makes you want more.

My congratulations to the creators, a masterstroke from my point of view.

I think the fragrance is very timeless, among other things because there have been so many sweet scents, oud, etc. in the last decade that the horizon is simply wider and more open again.
And if you wear Égoïste self-confidently and don't spray too much of it, even people who have an association with "old" fragrances at first will find it extremely pleasant and interesting, I think.

But basically I'm not interested in it anyway, because I'm an egoist for once! :D
Old love does not rust
Hi, Chanel. What's your name? EGOISTE.
Nice name, I've been smelling all day
on you. Could you imagine a relationship with me? Yes Why not?!!.
You think you're different than everyone else. Slightly fruity at first, then suddenly a bit of spices and great cinnamon. Later a little bit of leather and vanilla. But somehow always sexy and mysterious Years later... Hi selfish I have something new. I'm terribly sorry. But I have to break up with you.
Again years later, at the opening of a perfumery, I accidentally meet Chanel Egoist again.
So how are you Chanel? I'd love to be able to look at you again. Go ahead Damn, that fixes it good. Mysterious sexyness and yet different than all the others.
How could I ever have said goodbye to you?
Would like to try it with you again.
Please give me this one chance.
Okay, but don't screw it up again Still together 20 years later.
Why? Egoists fit together!
The whole world revolves around me because I'm just an egoist The relationship has lasted a long time now, like the fragrance itself. And even with age, the fragrance has lost nothing of its charisma.
I love him

JayNayJayNay 2 months ago
Top A underrated class ass of a scent
Finerthings8Finerthings8 2 months ago
This is the wild one in a nice way.you have to get use to appreciate it.Very unique and daring ,despite it is targeted main stream
HugoMontezHugoMontez 5 months ago
One of the best fragrances of all time. A woody spicy blend that screams sophistication and masculinity. A must-have. 5/5
BertolucciKBertolucciK 8 months ago
Égoïste smells like a niche perfume that try to recreate the 80s scents. Strong, manly but yet still elegant. Cinnamon rose carnation wood
BodeBode 11 months ago
The scent is fascinating. I enjoy it from top till the base. And I love that I can smell roses when I shower in the evening.
Dan81Dan81 11 months ago
Egoistic but not narcissistic, stand offish but warm and even sweet occasionally. My first scent that will always be in my collection.
ElysiumElysium 12 months ago
It doesn't smell as if you’ve just come out of the shower. Still, it's inviolable, woody, spicy, with dark flowers and dry fruits. Selfish!
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
George Orwell forgot the line in 1984 where Big Brother stated that all men wear this in the presence of post pubescent women. Classic stuff
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
A spicy -Woody timeless masterpiece whose I'll never forget the 90es advertisement! Classy and longlasting.Good for Her too!
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
A classic statement of the 90s. I don't usually like the DNA of "old" (not really that old) perfumes but this one is stunning!

Ich werde auf eure Gräber spucken - Boris Vian
by EveMist
by Hexana
by Hexana
by DemonHead
by DemonHead
by Blödel
Wäre schon eher egocentrique manipulateur....;D
by Achilles
by Andreas09
by Andreas09
by Integral
by Integral
by Isto
by Isto
by Seejungfrau
Der letzte Sonnenuntergang vor der Zeitumstellung gegen 18:30 Uhr...
by JayNay
by Night88
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel 1957 by Chanel