Égoïste 1990 Eau de Toilette

Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jacques Helleu
Top 49 in Men's Perfume
Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1990. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesCorianderCoriander
LeatherLeather
SandalwoodSandalwood
TobaccoTobacco
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 17.10.2021.

The holy grail...
My actual perfume journey began in the early 90s..... More specifically in 1993 with Chanel EGOÏSTE. Before that it was things like Gammon or Axe.

But Chanel EGOÏSTE just changed everything. Since then, it's been my holy grail of the perfume world.
Until today I have found NO perfume which could reach the water.

Alone this start of the fragrance is a revelation in the form of woods and lemon....perfect start.
You get a big smile from it.
And the further course of this masterpiece does not get worse, but always better.......
Rose, cinnamon, leather, tobacco, vanilla.....just to name a few ingredients.
A perfect combination of spice and freshness!
I also find that Chanel EGOÏSTE is one of the fragrances that would hardly be copied like Le Male or 1million. There are virtually no identical fragrance twins....apart from the cheap brands from Poland which must not be named here. They smell almost identical but they only last from 12 to noon......Self tested. None of it has what getaugt.
I have therefore rather bought the original. Original is always better.

The bottle I will guard like the apple of my eye.

Wandering Cinnamon Stand
I was quite classically through an enclosed fragrance sample on this fragrance attentive.
The first smell perception was WOW. This fragrance absolutely meets my taste in the direction of spices and wood.

Since I consider the price relatively "expensive", I wanted to test the fragrance, however, from a normal bottle and thus this me in a local perfume store.
Three puffs, hours of longevity and a blast of cinnamon and wood.

I will say this, the scent is not for the faint of heart and if used in too high a dose it will get on your nerves. So really be careful with it.

About the fragrance:
The mixture of a big load of cinnamon, wood, rose and tangerine is more hit for me than I would have thought.
The scent starts off with a vengeance! Like when Santa breaks into his own candy factory drunk and choreographs an ass bomb into the cinnamon pool because of his unbridled ravenous appetite. Rudolf gives it a straight 10, with the slightly portly White Beard juggling tangerines and wooden partings. I am impressed. But what does this guy do now? He's picked the only rose from the North Pole for his wife and presents it to her with one of the warmest smiles I've ever seen. They both sit by the roaring fire and good old Santa lights a pipe with the finest tobacco he could find in this world.
His wife hates it when he smokes a pipe. But what does the hatred of others mean to a selfish man?
Is this combination to blame for why the reindeer herder and his wife have always been inseparable?
I can only puzzle, however I understand.

Application:
When I'm not working a temp job at the toy factory at the North Pole, I wear the fragrance to go out to dinner, whether day or night. For work, he is rather less suitable. It's too loud and too warm for that. As an executive it may be suitable, but then please only with a suit. He also works great at business lunches.
You are not only smelled with the fragrance, but also seen to 100%.

Conclusion:
Through this warm hearty cinnamon note, the wood and the freshness of the tangerine is a creation, which is unique. I can recommend the fragrance to anyone who feels and understands this fragrance description. Also as a blind purchase. (Try him anyway to test before)
Égoïste. Excentrique. Humaniste.
1990. After the epochal classics Pour Monsieur from 1955 and Antaeus from 1981 only the 3rd perfume for men from the house of Chanel. And the first men's fragrance with sandalwood as a dominant note. And again a milestone.

Personally, I don't find Égoïste remarkably egotistical at all, I attribute that attribute much more to my beloved Antaeus than to it. Perhaps 'uncompromising' is a more appropriate word for the attitude I mean here. I'd call Égoïste Excentrique instead, but then it would have been guaranteed not to be a big seller.

I don't know if the following motives contributed to the naming, but in a historical context Égoïste was a real announcement. These were dire new times for our gender at the time, as two major waves threatened to bury us beneath them at once: The 3rd wave of the women's movement was crashing mightily on our shores, calling our gender into question altogether. And two years earlier, with Cool Water, the aquatic tsunami had found its source, we men no longer smelled not because we had showered, no, we were now to underpin qua perfume that we had really done it. And the shirt should now also no longer be unbuttoned so far, what for, the way the modern, aquatic 'man' smelled, the basic assumption was anyway that he had already shaved off his chest hair in conformity as a precaution. If any, I might add.

What was that all about, how could it come so far at all and where should it all lead to? Perhaps Jacques Polge, who had previously created Antaeus, wondered all this too.
Well, anyway, 'Égoïste' addressed certain basic needs with its grandiose advertising. I, at any rate, have yet to meet the sex comrade who doesn't want to be damned as an egoist the next morning by a whopping 35 balconies of gorgeous drama queens.
The Égoïste man, recognizable only by his hairy (!) Arm, opens the lamella doors just a crack and puts in the middle of the whole theater just very cool the flacon on the balustrade. After all, there is nothing more to say about it.
And just as the egoist does his thing, Égoïste was, in any case, once again proof that Chanel unflinchingly goes its own way.

Égoïste begins with wood and ends with wood. The eccentric drumbeat begins with rosewood, which only doesn't smell too pungent because it is softened by mahogany flanked, refreshed by mandarin and spiced by coriander. Individually, I hardly if ever notice the last three notes in isolation; they serve the overall tone. And almost immediately, the sandalwood is in orbit and we are already very close to the heart.
Now Égoïste transforms and a dark, beautiful rose grows on slivers of sandalwood. And no, it doesn't smell rosy. If you know the slightly truffled black rose from Dior Homme Parfum, you know what I'm talking about. But here it's very delicately dusted with cinnamon, quite soft yet deep. So beautiful. And soon, even very delicately gossamer tobacco leaves settle on our rose, making it spicier and darker, and the cinnamon dust grows to flake size, and now we're divinely relaxing in the base:
The cinnamon lingers, more tobacco blossoms and then ambery warm leather grows on the joints of the solid sandalwood base and as we tap on the leather, feathery clouds of vanilla rise.

Égoïste has an intangible drydown. From here on, Égoïste could no longer be called Excentrique, but quite possibly Humaniste.
It will probably forever remain a mystery to me that some associate sweet baked goods here or even develop pre-Christmas feelings. Perhaps the mere mention of 'cinnamon' is enough for that, much like citricism immediately - all too often - gives birth to toilet bowl analogies. "Nonsense!" I shout as loudly as the 35 ladies shout "Égoïste". The cinnamon here is always dry, the vanilla always dark, neither sticky or sweet, yet warming. They're sometimes contrasts, sometimes additives. And what this melange in the base transports there in distinctive, elegant friendliness, that has so much character, Laytonistas and other love-uncle scents from Marlyland and similarly mild climes can only dream of, if I may also note that. So!

Égoïste has phases yes, movements like a symphony and tempos and loudness change. But there is this one theme that runs through from beginning to end, the proverbial whole that is more than the sum of its parts, the "fragrance Égoïste" as a total sound. As befits a masterpiece.

Note: I apologize for any potential political incorrectness. I was just being ... selfish.
What a name!
Chanel is one of the brands that I personally count among my "Les Indispensables".

To this day, I have not smelled a fragrance from the house, which I did not like.
As you know, there is the Bleu range, of which I owned the EdP for a long time. All three variants are certainly very good in their own way and with none one does in principle something wrong.
Then there is the Allure series, of which I also find many very good and in which you can definitely find among all the flankers.
In addition, there is the Pour Monsieur, which is almost a "must" as EdT or EdP for classic lovers.

All these fragrances have one thing in common: From the basic equipment they are primarily fresh.

In addition, the 80s powerhouse fragrance Antaeus is also available, which certainly (rightly) has its fans. But I personally do not like to wear it, although I consider it very well done.

[...]

But quite different is this Égoïste. Man, what a name...

In the research for my reviews, I also always try to find out something about the name of a fragrance, among other things. Personally, I'm not just interested in the smell, but the big picture. Something specific I did not find out regarding the naming, but master perfumer Jacques Polge will have already thought of something.

Because if you call a fragrance so, then something great must inevitably come around. And it is also how I find. He smells just very different from all other men's Chanel. As if he wants to say "look, I am the way I am. You either like me or you don't."
And like someone who is self-aware and doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. An "egoist" just that...

I actually - for whatever reason - left it out for too long before blind ordering it a few months ago. And I experienced one of those moments that I love so much in this hobby; I smelled the spray head and knew: Oh yes, this is phenomenal! That's what happened to me with Égoïste EdT. And yet, this didn't surprise me, because among the warmer notes, cinnamon is one of the ones I favor the most.

[...]

The fragrance starts very intensely with a fresh and slightly fruity mandarin note, which is however enveloped by clearly perceptible coriander, which provides for a bitter-spicy and sage-like impact. I can well imagine that just this beginning does not appeal to every nose. Because it comes mMn not suitable for the masses. I find the beginning but already excellent, because he has something independent and expressive in itself.

But after a short time, the tangerine with the coriander withdraws and makes room for the cinnamon note, which I like so much and also perceive here. This is how I find already dominant, but it is not too strong and sweet as in other cinnamon-heavy perfumes (eg Calvin Klein's Obsession EdT), because it is made at the same time by a floral chord, which I attribute to the rose, somewhat milder and gentler and is thus harmoniously and perfectly integrated with each other. From this phase onwards, I find the fragrance to be very sensual and elegant. This famose cinnamon rose combination I have namely not been allowed to experience until now in any other fragrance.

Towards the base, the fragrance gets with the sandalwood and vanilla an additional touch of Orient with woody undertone missed.

[...]

Despite its at first sight appearing warm character, you can undoubtedly wear it - except probably in high summer - all year round.

My bottle is from this year, as mentioned. Its durability is with about 6-7 h on my skin for me personally more than satisfactory.
Despite its rather warmer aura, it does not project all too strongly, but this suits me personally. In the first 1 - 1.5 h nehm I still perceive a sillage cloud, before he is still intensely perceptible for the remaining 4-5 h directly on the skin.
Conclusion:

I have smelled and tested all the men Chanels known to me. Besides the Pour Monsieur I personally consider the Égoïste EdT as the best men's fragrance from the house. What was created here already resembles mMn almost an olfactory unique master creation.

This fragrance manages to be classic, but without "old-fashioned" (I do not like this term, therefore in quotes) to act and at the same time so sensual-elegant in its own way as hardly any other fragrance known to me.
Who wears Égoïste, wants to make a statement and does first and foremost itself a favor.

A fascinating perfume with a most exciting name, which I would not want to miss in my collection.

Thank you for reading!

Unparalleled
Égoïste is in a league of its own. Warm and friendly in character. Rich and classy in appearance. It has a clear nineties vibe, but unlike any other perfume from the era. Except for big sister Coco, I guess.

A true pleasure to the nose. Oriental warm spice, creamy sandalwood and a carnation/rose with nuances of dried fruit. In the opening I also get a warm kind of citrus. Tangerine, orange maybe.

After 2-2,5 hours, there's a tipping point in terms of vibrance. The sillage is turned down a few notches. Other than that, the scent is pretty constant and easily makes it past the 10 hour mark.

Every time I wear Égoïste, it creates a 'bubble'. A vibrant glassy/crystalline layer that separates me and my perfume from everything around me. I get that a lot with Chanel. As a result, it doesn't feel naturally 'me', so I'm struggling to find the right occasion to wear it with confidence. Other than cosy sundays at home, that is.
Aliven
Not so selfish through the night...

You don't belong to me at all.
You belonged to someone else. Someone who carried you every day. Basically in every situation. I guess that's called signature scent.

When I first met you, him, you, I became skeptical.
Weed? Marijuana? Did this guy just smoke a joint?
No, he didn't. You did!
Nobody else noticed but me, though.
I still find that thought funny today You were strong. Full of metal and wood and hugging and holding on with a flower in your hand.
And you stayed, even after he had gone.
Sometimes days.
Sometimes nights.
Once I found a T-shirt behind the sofa. It must have been there for 10 days.
You were still there.
Came to stay - like the one whose skin you were glued to.

I don't always like you, alone or on me.
But on him - it seems to be the mixture. A good team.

Even if someone else has changed worlds, and a little life has passed in the meantime, you're still there, in that drawer.
And sometimes I spray you on an old teddy.
Or on his leather jacket, still hanging in the closet.
And it's not so bad anymore.
You will forever be his, as he will forever be mine.
MrMagic
In between the decades, there's a first-person account..
Dear friends of the classics,

today it's about Chanel Egoiste - Again, a fragrance that I was particularly interested by its presentation.
The commercial, the praise on Parfumo and the simple bottle, provided with "Egoiste - Chanel Paris" made me so curious that the fragrance on my now very large watch list slipped significantly up. I could then still get a good 30ml at a reasonable price blind and must anticipate: I was not disappointed!
Egoiste starts getting used to in good oldschool manner. Coriander, wood and a slight sweetness set the tone here for me, although I still could not quite determine whether the sweetness is the tangerine or the already incipient cinnamon.
Relatively quickly now put the clove and a so far for me still very dry cinnamon in the foreground. Here also lies my biggest problem with Egoiste - a problem with the garden carnation.
This I could not stand already with "New York Intense", too stale, too intense comes to me this note therefore, besides, I'm basically not the biggest fan of cloves in general, so I give this in the kitchen also rather little attention. But when I look at the entire presentation of Egoiste with its very wintry scent character, the clove is probably still just part of it. Since anyway the cinnamon gradually takes over the helm as the main actor of the fragrance and the clove moves into the background, I can also live well with this note after multiple tests.
Up to this point, however, I understand: Egoiste is not everyone's cup of tea.
After about 30 minutes, amber hints, after just under 45 minutes, a clear vanilla note follows. The cinnamon is meanwhile increasingly moist, intense and authentic. This is the part of the fragrance that I like best and that fascinates me. I have to think here of strong cinnamon rolls in the spice drawer and fortunately times not of cinnamon-sugar-pamper, as it is today gladly in fragrances gepanscht.
Egoiste develops over time clearly different than the prelude would suggest it, although this is not entirely lost. This is probably the aspect that many perfumos see as a bridge between oldschool and newer fragrance compositions and I would like to agree. Cinnamon, amber and vanilla remain dominant for me until the end, with a very subtle sandalwood coming more to the fore towards the end. Synthetics is a foreign word for this fragrance - good so!

The performance can really be seen. Although Egoiste is absolutely no "beast", but belongs to the stronger fragrances and is clearly perceptible. Sparingly dosed, this can therefore also be worn in the office, just the durability turns out on my skin between 11-12 hours. On clothes Egoiste lasts much longer, but for my sensation somehow musty with time, so that I leave it with this fragrance to spray the skin. That already fits so, he is strong enough.

Flacon and sprayer convince freely according to the motto "less is more". Although this does not fit the then yet quite complex fragrance, but to the cool and distant, perhaps even sublime presentation.
Chanel's Egoiste can really be seen, here you get a lot for your money and has the perfect winter men's fragrance, if it should not be stale, but also not generic-pleasing, as is the case with many new releases today. The bottom line is that this makes the scent timeless for me. He is indeed more suitable for older (from 30 years plus) gentlemen, but here is of course again simply to wear what you like. Visually I see the fragrance nevertheless something finer seeming, a hoodie fits here simply not.
From me there is a clear purchase recommendation.

Thanks for reading!

INDIGOSPHINX
the dry down of two fragrances
first of all.
this> Platinum Egoiste for me.

I won't go into notes as it is useless and redundant.

however, I want to discuss the dry down.

the dry fruits accord in this smells like a whiskey of some sort, with that cherry like sweetness. And I only get this dry down when I spray on my skin. This dry down reminds me Bel Ami Vetiver. If you own that, you know that once the bottle ages, you can absolutely get a gorgeous dried fruitiness from there.

On clothes, I get a different dry down. It's like a Sandalwood+Rose/Geranium smell that is HIGHLY close to Equipage Geranium. If I didn't know better they almost smell identical. I somehow don't detect the cinammon here, but cloves.

Performance on me is average to low, perhaps due to olfactory fatigue. Which I'm ok with because this scent profile shouldn't be beastly as to offend average consumer noses around me.

Edit:
An update, this performance is VERY POOR (2020 batch). I don't think it's olfactory fatigue. So because of this poor projection, I think it can be worn in summer because the heat help you to enjoy the beauty of EGoiste more.
Reagenz
Selfish since early youth...
...I was about twelve when there was the first commercial on TV of this Chanel fragrance. Many well-dressed women kept shouting Egoiste and waiting for this man to make a scanty appearance and put a bottle on the parapet.... It was the time when my big sister had her first boyfriend in the early 90s. And she wanted to introduce me to him proudly and took me to meet him at his apartment. It was a guy without big words and he was more interested in my sister, her lips than in me, but he smelled exceptionally good. After much boredom, five lemonades and certainly ten comics later there on the spot, I discovered a bottle in the bathroom with him. Aha a Chanel Egoiste, times smell what he can, curiously pulled off the cap and sprayed a strong push on my upper body. Wahnsinnsduft, this spice and the woods, as well as the slightly fruity note with the recorded rose scent drew me immediately under his spell (at that time he smelled just so good without knowing what's inside ;), from this point he let me no longer loose. Always I ran with my young years in the perfumeries and used the favor of the hour around me with Chanel Egoiste to soak. A purchase was sadly a long way off as I lacked the wherewithal at twelve. Three years later, my love for Egoiste continued to burn unrestrictedly (in contrast, my big sister's love for her boyfriend at the time died out). At the age of fifteen I finally bought my own bottle from the proceeds of the newspaper delivery. It was my signature scent for a very long time. As many have already said, this fragrance is not for everyone and certainly not a true "comliment-getter". You either fall for it completely or find it off-putting. I can always wear it whether it suits the situation or not; selfishly so. I have had to buy so many new bottles to date that I have lost count of them in order to satisfy my craving for this fragrance (along with its reformulations), including Egoiste After Shave, of course. Now I leave the fragrance more often in the closet to give others a chance to assert themselves ;) The fragrance will always have a place of honor with me. For me this fragrance DNA is unique. A triple high on the perfumers. Definitely not a blind buy !!! Caution !!! , can make addicted for decades.
Unsuess
This scent doesn't fit any man I know..
Classics or not: Although I am now over 40, this fragrance does not fit any man I know. It is also difficult for me to imagine how such a man should look at all. The marketing department of Chanel could not imagine that probably even so right, which is why you get to see only the hand of the wearer in the commercial from that time.

Admittedly: If you have arrived after a few hours at the base notes, you can slowly venture out the door with Egoiste, but then you can also take the same Trumper Sandalwood Cologne, which smells similar in the finish and top rum from the beginning is much less intrusive.

MatuxMatux 2 months ago
Rose, sandalwood, spices - still contemporary regardless of the years in the market.
WinandVWinandV 4 months ago
Oh Egoïste! This is a very nice warm and spicy scent! Daring choice due to the strong presence of cinnamon, but I have fallen for its charm!
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 5 months ago
It somehow has a magical aura. I smelled it and it immediately took me on a journey
JayNayJayNay 8 months ago
Top A underrated class ass of a scent
Finerthings8Finerthings8 8 months ago
This is the wild one in a nice way.you have to get use to appreciate it.Very unique and daring ,despite it is targeted main stream
HugoMontezHugoMontez 11 months ago
One of the best fragrances of all time. A woody spicy blend that screams sophistication and masculinity. A must-have. 5/5
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
Égoïste smells like a niche perfume that try to recreate the 80s scents. Strong, manly but yet still elegant. Cinnamon, rose carnation, wood
BodeBode 1 year ago
The scent is fascinating. I enjoy it from top till the base. And I love that I can smell roses when I shower in the evening.
Dan81Dan81 1 year ago
Egoistic but not narcissistic, stand offish but warm and even sweet occasionally. My first scent that will always be in my collection.
ElysiumElysium 1 year ago
It doesn't smell as if you’ve just come out of the shower. Still, it's inviolable, woody, spicy, with dark flowers and dry fruits. Selfish!

Ich werde auf eure Gräber spucken - Boris Vian
by EveMist
by Hexana
by Hexana
by DemonHead
by DemonHead
by Blödel
Wäre schon eher egocentrique manipulateur....;D
by Achilles
by Andreas09
by Andreas09
by Integral
by Integral
by Isto
by Isto
by Seejungfrau
Der letzte Sonnenuntergang vor der Zeitumstellung gegen 18:30 Uhr...
by JayNay
by Night88
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel