Égoïste 1990Eau de Toilette

Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jacques Helleu
Top 45 in Men's Perfume
Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1990. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Sauvage (Eau de Toilette)

Top Notes Top NotesCoriander, Mahogany, Mandarin orange, Rosewood
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Rose, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Leather, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.10.2020.

Pollita
Attack of the clone warriors
The title of this Star Wars film adaptation seemed appropriate for the perfume world today. How often do you stumble upon another clone of a blockbuster Mostly it is Aventus, which is copied by many brands, both cheap and very expensive. Often it's also the fragrances of Roja Dove or Tom Ford that you'll find somewhere, often packaged in a bottle of another brand. And often this garment, is it by Guerlain, for example, is identical or even more beautiful. At least for my nose
But it is not new to pour the same juice into a different bowl. In the nineties and at the beginning of the 2000s this was already practised. Only there were not so many possibilities to compare, because the internet was just coming and so no one noticed it at that time
And so it was that my husband and I already knew the wonderful Égoïste of Chanel. This warm and spicy combination accompanied us for quite some time in our youth. With this scent I learned to appreciate coriander and not only as a Christmas spice. And in this leathery presentation, caressed with tobacco and vanilla, I even liked cinnamon, which, on the other hand, often disturbs me in women's fragrances. There's even a rose that neither I nor my husband would have noticed. Otherwise my husband would not have chosen this Égoïste clone when he was young, because rose is even less popular with him than with me. (Editor's note: Also at me only those scents are tolerated, where the rose is not immediately recognizable as such).

Égoïste has style, is timeless, wonderfully classic and anything but old-fashioned. Égoïste is back to the roots, I'd almost say, with all the sweets these days who want to jump on this tobacco+vanilla bandwagon and use this combination to create a Christmas market association. Égoïste just doesn't do that, because here we also have some sweetness in the base, but this is a fragrance that is good for a man through and through. If you want a real nineties feeling, give this one a try!

And now, of course, I still haven't told you the name of the fragrance that Mr. Pollito had at that time. It was the now discontinued Route 66 Mystic Road, which apparently smells sweet and citric. Which he did not do. Because this was a very successful clone of the Chanel classic!

Many thanks to Chizza for the sample.
The perfect man
If there is one fragrance that is REALLY timeless and classic, it is the now thirty-year-old classic from Chanel. I don't need to describe the course of the fragrance, it is known in many ways, except that it is the most masculine cinnamon scent I have ever come across. This is a fragrance for any man who is truly confident. When I smell it, I may fall in love with this man immediately, as there are still few men who wear it. Full score!!!
The Egoist
A year and a half beside me the man and his fragrance
so warm so familiar the woody spicy cinnamon-clove vanilla
the perfume as room filling as the man
recently met again
the smell so warm and familiar, the man a stranger
N471v3
Égoïste - French for "selfish". German for "supergeil".
And yes, it's easy to become selfish when you're carrying something this great
Background.
I can still vaguely remember the last time I tested Égoïste in a department store about 2 years ago.
Fast, loveless, on paper, maybe even a little biased.

Because the first chords that fly towards you here smell a bit like the day before yesterday, a bit dusty
Slightly fougere-like fragrance image, tamed by cinnamon sweet, carnation, coriander, rosewood... olfactory spines without end.
Don't be surprised if your girlfriend tells you, "you smell good but a bit like daddy."!

But years later, one has tried so many things again, and yet the soul is always looking for something new.
One reads something here, and there, one is reminded of certain things by scents...

And poof, me, standing in the orange "M", and testing some aged classics.

Only this time a trick:
I spray a few things on test strips that I label. I don't smell anyone. I'm gonna take the car home again real quick
And test an hour later.

And wow... i am more than surprised. Well Égoïste is just really special, and has a very delicate touch. You just shouldn't sniff too close and not spray too much. We come from an economical time, and it should be enough to spray 1x properly! This way you can get along with the bottle for a long time.

Right? ;)

Finally, the next test on my body, I was completely addicted to the smell... every time I got a spray of it on my chest, it smelled a little different And every time, unbeatable good.
It's as if the sweet, almost powdery nuances are fighting with the spicy nuances all the time. Like two snakes intertwined, each trying to wrap its neck around the other's to defeat them.
But none wins, because they are exactly the same strength...

All this is embedded in a nice woody basket, so that it doesn't get too dusty and degenerate during the fight! ;)

It is therefore a fragrance that challenges you a little bit with every scent, but in a way that makes you want more.

My congratulations to the creators, a masterstroke from my point of view.

I think the fragrance is very timeless, among other things because there have been so many sweet scents, oud, etc. in the last decade that the horizon is simply wider and more open again.
And if you wear Égoïste self-confidently and don't spray too much of it, even people who have an association with "old" fragrances at first will find it extremely pleasant and interesting, I think.

But basically I'm not interested in it anyway, because I'm an egoist for once! :D
Old love does not rust
Hi, Chanel. What's your name? EGOISTE.
Nice name, I've been smelling all day
on you. Could you imagine a relationship with me? Yes Why not?!!.
You think you're different than everyone else. Slightly fruity at first, then suddenly a bit of spices and great cinnamon. Later a little bit of leather and vanilla. But somehow always sexy and mysterious Years later... Hi selfish I have something new. I'm terribly sorry. But I have to break up with you.
Again years later, at the opening of a perfumery, I accidentally meet Chanel Egoist again.
So how are you Chanel? I'd love to be able to look at you again. Go ahead Damn, that fixes it good. Mysterious sexyness and yet different than all the others.
How could I ever have said goodbye to you?
Would like to try it with you again.
Please give me this one chance.
Okay, but don't screw it up again Still together 20 years later.
Why? Egoists fit together!
The whole world revolves around me because I'm just an egoist The relationship has lasted a long time now, like the fragrance itself. And even with age, the fragrance has lost nothing of its charisma.
I love him
DerDefcon
Yesterday's DNA is today's niche.
If you are looking for a niche, you will find it here, because niche, in my opinion, is defined neither by the price nor by the "difficulty" of testing or buying a fragrance. The last point in particular is one that I always have to smile a little when I hear that it is supposedly so difficult to test or buy product XY in times of globalisation and mail order. This may be true of some of them, but let's face it - they are only a minority. Well, and the fact that the price doesn't make a niche for a long time should be well known to us perfume enthusiasts. So I don't need to talk about that any further, because in the end the fragrance DNA is the absolute be-all and end-all and Chanel's bestseller, the "Égoïste", has quite a lot to offer in this respect.

If "Égoïste" is in fact already a little bit older, this old age can somehow also be determined by his DNA. This is mature, adult, but never old-fashioned or even stale. Remember: old age is not the same as old age - very important! This Chanel is simply not a water that everyone wants to please. One loves it or hates it, there is hardly any "in between".
Our "Égoïste" - this name is so fitting - begins with a good load of cinnamon, which is so dry and dusty that it almost dehydrates the wearer's nose. If you don't know what to do with this spice, you are already completely lost here. I like this slightly stinging, sometimes scratchy feeling in my nose and cinnamon anyway. But if you think that the spice is already gone, you are wrong. The cinnamon canonade is now joined by the clove, which shines with a wonderfully sharp appearance, with a minimal woodiness - of course also dry to the maximum - still resonates. I am hardly able to perceive rose, perhaps only in a very reduced form, since it is wrapped in a dusty cloud of cinnamon and may actually be left out, provided a short, concise description of the fragrance is given.
A little sandalwood is added at the end, but also only with a small drop of creaminess. It simply does not have its otherwise woody sweetness here. The weak taming process in this uncompromising composition is optimal in its weakness, as it keeps the "Do I like/hate I play" perfectly going and a "Joa, don't know if I like him", i.e. an in-between, is still not to be thought of. This Chanel omits the cuddly, angular and edgy scents that are often found in other fragrances, because if edgy, spicy and woody scent compositions are often diluted with a lot of sweet stuff at the end, just to avoid any nasty taste, Jacques Polge and François Demachy in the case of "Égoïste" did not use such an adaptation that conforms to the taste of the masses.

In conclusion, however, I must criticize that I am not entirely satisfied with the durability of this fragrance. With an autumn or winter scent I simply expect a little more. As long as the fragrance is on the skin, the radiance is not from bad parents for the first few hours. Maybe my nose adapts this spice only quite fast and it is still there longer than I think. This would have to be investigated again, which is why I will not make an evaluation in this regard for the time being.

Gold In The Bottle
Gold in the bottle is simplistic. When a perfume is a work of art, inimitable. I was 16 when I entered for the first time alone in a perfumery of a shopping center to buy my first perfume. , my first perfume.
Not really a scent for kids, perfect for gentlemen with low temperatures.
I speak of the old version, a powerful opening, a mandarin made sweet by rosewood. A gloomy, woody heart made sweet by cinnamon that never disturbs, dusty. rose, vanilla, and class.
The old version is so much stuff, all of it, rich, sweet, woody, I would spend hours smelling it. A woody oriental dessert.
I advise you to smell the old version, with the word eau de toilette written above the word Chanel. The older it is, the better it is.
Good duration, because of his goodness, you would always have him on, tireless. Among the best in the world

Rating: 9.5
Volker1964
My dear Herr Gesangsverein, a horny smell .....
I was given a sample of this fragrance as a gift. Then I tested it for a few days and ordered 100ml EdT. How do I like it ? Let's go:
Top note: The top note is already quite powerful. Wood notes quite strong. Discreetly pleasant, green freshness. Well spiced with very discreet fruit. Fruit rather in the background, wood dominates very clearly. For the top note already quite complex.
Heart note: It remains strong and quite woody. Very subtle floral note, more a touch. A hint of spicy cinnamon, not sweet!
Base note: wood still quite present, in addition strong and noble leather. A good portion of tobacco is added. Overall quite complex and very versatile. Fresh, green note pleasant, a bit more subtle than in the beginning. Also in the base this scent doesn't weaken.
Conclusion: Chanel Egoiste is a mMn already exceptional fragrance. It smells strong, powerful and has a certain old school touch, although it is quite modern. A fragrance more for leisure time, for me less for work. Complex ? Yes! Exerted ? Possibly, but I personally don't mind. Striking ? In any case, I like it (leisure). If you like strong or striking fragrances, this mMn is not a bad choice. Lasts a good 8 hours with me.
Chizza
I can't explain it... but the scent is fascinating
Of course I can already explain it, the base notes are really all the perfume components I appreciate and combine here to a high-quality result. Other perfumes I find really great when I smell them, egoist is different. Sometimes I catch myself thinking why I didn't spray an egoist today, the fragrance is kind of old and conservative but it has such a sublime aura. All too often I cannot perceive him in my surroundings either. Here and there you meet the Sauvages, Aventus and AdP of this world (which I also appreciate all of them) but egoists or even an Antaeus are hardly to be found. Kind of dropped out but very stylish. For me a great office fragrance also in the course of customer appointments

My love
My first fragrance love that started it all. Still my biggest love. Many say its the male version of Bois des Iles, but I think its a more slimmed down version of Coco (my second favorite). The far dry down of the Vintage smells a lot like Egoiste. Florals removed, sandalwood amped up. The rose note is actually made up of damascones, famously used in Shiseidos Nombre Noir and Coco. They have a smell of rose and dried fruits. Egoiste never smells fruity on me, but MyMickers (RIP) seemed to got it sometimes... I get 10 hours out of Egoiste, but even later when I have a hot shower after a long day it reactivates and fills the shower with its heavenly aroma. This is seriously the last thing I want to smell before I die.

BertolucciKBertolucciK 60 days ago
Égoïste smells like a niche perfume that try to recreate the 80s scents. Strong, manly but yet still elegant. Cinnamon rose carnation wood
BodeBode 150 days ago
The scent is fascinating. I enjoy it from top till the base. And I love that I can smell roses when I shower in the evening.
Dan81Dan81 158 days ago
Egoistic but not narcissistic, stand offish but warm and even sweet occasionally. My first scent that will always be in my collection.
ElysiumElysium 174 days ago
It doesn't smell as if you’ve just come out of the shower. Still, it's inviolable, woody, spicy, with dark flowers and dry fruits. Selfish!
TruckladyTrucklady 17 months ago
George Orwell forgot the line in 1984 where Big Brother stated that all men wear this in the presence of post pubescent women. Classic stuff
Jazzy76Jazzy76 24 months ago
A spicy -Woody timeless masterpiece whose I'll never forget the 90es advertisement! Classy and longlasting.Good for Her too!
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
A classic statement of the 90s. I don't usually like the DNA of "old" (not really that old) perfumes but this one is stunning!

Ich werde auf eure Gräber spucken - Boris Vian
by EveMist
by Hexana
by Hexana
by DemonHead
by DemonHead
by Blödel
Wäre schon eher egocentrique manipulateur....;D
by Achilles
by Andreas09
by Andreas09
Erste Wassersportversuche am Baggersee  :-) Der Wellengang war sehr bescheiden.
by Integral
by Integral
by Seejungfrau
Der letzte Sonnenuntergang vor der Zeitumstellung gegen 18:30 Uhr...
by Isto
by Night88
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Beige (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel 1957 by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel