Gabrielle Chanel (2017) Eau de Parfum

Gabrielle Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel
Bottle Design: Sylvie Legastelois
Gabrielle Chanel (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 2017. The scent is floral-fruity. It is still in production.

Olivier Polge

Ylang-ylang, Jasmine, Orange blossom, Grasse tuberose, Mandarin, Grapefruit, Blackcurrant, Sandalwood, Musk

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 07.10.2019

The face of the advertising campaign is actress Kristen Stewart.

7.0 5.0 1.0 8.0/10

Late summer
Summer came back with a bump. So, tested in my regular perfumery and fresh.
With Gabrielle, I didn't really have an expectation. Chanel smells like Chanel. The Exclusif fragrances fall wonderfully out of the frame.
And now I'm pleasantly surprised after testing. I find him noble, young, mature, refreshing, invigorating. It reminds me a little of Christalle.
I smell grapefruit, tuberose and mandarin mixed with woody notes. Elegant and feminine. I see a lady in a yellow linen dress pushing her sunglasses onto her forehead.
Unfortunately, after 30 minutes, I don't take him anymore. However, my neighbour noticed in the hallway: here it smells so fresh. That was me, 3 hours after applying.
I'm definitely going to retest him today. The weather just cries out for Gabrielle.
10.0 6.0 8.0 10.0/10

Annikatz
A mystery, not quite solved.
Oh, Gabi, you didn't want to play with me for a long time. I got to know you in November 2017, when I bought a miniature for a rather large purchase. And I thought you were boring.
Actually, I love Chanel. Got some. In perfume, in EdP, in Edt. And with you, it was kind of too flat for me. You were powdery-floral, the shelf life was okay, but I missed that typical Chanel note.
I don't know what it is, but every Chanel I know has. You smell it on someone and you know it's Chanel. And you didn't! Also the flowers were very reserved - only jasmine stuck to me. Nothing else. I was disappointed.
See you on vacation. It just so happens you were in your purse. I just put you on, and half an hour later you were there in full glory.
The ylang, the slightly bitter grapefruit with peel, the berries, and this Chanel note, which wasn't there before, came out!
So for Gabi to play with me, she has to go to the sea. It needs sunshine, a light salty breeze, long walks, peace and quiet and time.
I'll know. Next vacation, you're definitely in!
7.0 6.0 7.0 7.5/10

DonJuanDeCat
Normal, maybe boring, but still not bad
Hm, for some reason Chanel fragrances don't have a soo big attraction to me yet, although I like the brand actually quite and also find noble. Like other big, beautiful scent houses (e.g. like Guerlain and Dior) Chanel also offers nice mainstream scents as well as more exclusive ones.

Why I'm not soo keen on the newest Chanel fragrances is probably due to the fact that first of all most fragrances are only available for scratch brushes (by that I mean you women :D), and secondly I see most of the fragrances in a shop standing only in the back corner and therefore always forget them there, so that when I'm there, I'm already sprayed full anyway and therefore can't do anything with the fragrances any more and they fall into oblivion with me. Too bad, because I would like to try out the Les Exclusifs. What the hell. From time to time I still get a scent under my nose, where I can't do anything else than write my mustard down here :D

Hach,... Chanel... especially played by Audrey Tautou, who for me is an elegant dream woman with a really charming smile and great eyes :)
On Kristen Steward, on the other hand, the face of this scent, I somehow don't stand soo much... even if she should be good-looking, hmm...

Well then, let's get to the fragrance, somebody has to write a commi for every imaginable fragrance, and who could do better than the omnipresent DonJuanDeCat? *sigh* How negative that sounds...

The fragrance:
The fragrance begins with light mandarins, sweet jasmine, but above all with ylang-ylang, which underlines the feminine aspect of the women's fragrance, but for me, ... as so often, it takes getting used to, it smells a bit sultry and heavy, which makes fragrances a bit more exhausting for me.
At first the Neroli is a bit heavier, which makes the scent even heavier together with the Ylang-Ylang. However, the Ylang-Ylang seems to lose some intensity a little bit later on, which also makes the Neroli look a bit looser. Not really fresh, but not really heavy anymore.
From the base, you can smell the musk pretty good. And I have the feeling that the fragrance in general becomes a little looser. It doesn't seem that heavy anymore, even though you can still smell the ylang-ylang in the background. Instead, the fragrance smells of orange blossom notes, beautiful sweet flowers in general (probably a mix of jasmine and tuberose), and a vanilla powdery fragrance. In the further or later course, the fragrance remains floral-sweetish, basically soft, but also has light spicy notes.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
At the beginning, the sillage is still slightly subtle, as one briefly smells the citric notes before the fragrance opens the heavier floral artillery and makes the fragrance more intense. This means that the scent will be perceived well on one for a while before it becomes softer and lighter at some point.
I also found the shelf life okay, which it was at least eight hours smellable.

The bottle:
Although the bottle is rectangular, it looks a bit like a gemstone due to the individually looking or triangular-cut sidewalls running to the centre. In the middle you can see a white-silver label, the lid is metal-gilt and square with a cylindrical base. It may seem a bit simple, but it's elegant and with its clear lines it's probably shaped like Coco Chanel would have liked it to be. Yeah, it's nice.

Sooo,... you know, when people here say that the scent itself is nothing special, I have to agree with all of them, but not in the negative way. Of course, you have the feeling that the fragrance was really trimmed to mainstream and also goes with "fashion", as I've noticed several times in the last months that newer women's fragrances or new flankers of a fragrance often contain ylang-ylang, which is also the case here.
But despite the rather ordinary scent, which by the way could also be in a bottle that doesn't have "Chanel" on it, it's still a fragrant scent that you (or woman :D) can try out, but maybe you shouldn't expect too much new or daring from a new Chanel scent.

Hm... although the scent was marked as summer scent here and despite a difficult beginning it actually becomes a bit looser with time, Gabrielle is in my opinion not a really loose and fresh scent. As an all-rounder you can use it well, even if you should use it less on very hot days. That's why the scent is not a summer scent for me. Besides, he's nice, but a little mainstream. Can be used during the day as well as for going out. He looks elegant and feminine, and if the sultry Ylang-Ylang-note were not there, then I would say as so often also that one (... actually woman :D) could seem quite biteable with it :)
8.0 6.0 7.0 8.5/10

Gabi somehow always goes
Gabrielle kind of always leaves.
If I can't decide on some days and no perfume fits the mood or the occasion, then Gabi is the right choice for me Certainly not spectacular. Also not exciting or even conspicuous.
But an unobtrusive companion with a feel-good factor, elegant, well-groomed, simply beautiful.
Without being annoying. Just like it does you good some days.

Like a light chiffon cloth it plays around me almost the whole day.
Unsweet but fruity flower start. Mandarins and grapefruit as good mood makers. Discreet bitterness, in the background
Catched by a cushion of soft musk and sandalwood.
There's actually no reason Gabrielle wouldn't fit.

jtd
What would Gabrielle think?
Chanel says Gabrielle is composed around four classic white flowers: tuberose, orange blossom, ylang ylang and jasmine. They call it, "the perfect white flower." Olivier Polge has called Gabrielle "abstract", an apparent allusion to Chanel's monumental abstract floral, no 5. Abstraction implies veering away from duplicating a given scent and instead reimagining it. Gabrielle is abstract in that it doesn't smell like any of these four flowers per se. In fact it doesn't smell appreciably botanical. Despite the press release talking points describing the perfume's flower as "imaginary" and "perfect", Gabrielle is less an ideal flower than the mean average of a set of 'floral' notes.

Gabrielle is linear for the most part but it has an identifiable drydown. The perfume grows less specific as time passes, though not inadvertently. The drydown seems intentionally indistinct, recreating the risk-averse, bleary musky/woody finish found in many mainstream perfumes geared toward the young female perfume buyer. To its credit, though Gabrielle is a fruity floral it's neither gourmand nor particularly sweet. A mildly acerbic twist runs through the perfume's duration, cropping any nascent sweetness.

Gabrielle hits its marks and doesn't flub its lines but it doesn't inspire. A noncommittal floral mix leading to a fairly anonymous drydown gives Gabrielle a shapelessness that undercuts Polge's efforts to create an ideal white flower. The composition seems specifically calibrated to create soft-focus haze and a dull shine. It's a ho-hum vision of femininity from the house that produced challenging and powerful feminine perfumes like 19, Cristalle and Coco. I don't doubt the expertise and technical proficiency involved in creating a perfume like Gabrielle. It performs precisely as intended and accomplishes its design goals but it reads as a collection of non-negatives. It's attractive in that it's not ugly. It's appealing in that it's not offensive. Again, this strategy seems deliberate. The most flankable perfumes tend to be those that don't commit too strongly to any olfactory characteristics and I imagine it won't be too long until Gabrielle Eau Fraiche, Gabrielle Eau Tendre and Gabrielle Edition Blanche hit the shelves.

(from scenthurdle.com)
8.0 6.0 4.0 2.5/10

SuzanneS
Gabrielle ...oh Gabrielle...what to do with you....
I tried this in store with the preliminary reviews in mind. Its a hazy, white -floral melange. Its bright, but easily forgotten. No wow factor but would be a great worksafe scent. I dont think anyone could be offended smelling like this. Gabrielle as in Gabrielle Chanel? Its not.

Interesting in its way
I finally tried Gabrielle. I did not know what to expect, but I did not expect to be in a certain way. I found brightness, a lot. It is such a luminous perfume.
It opens with some citrus notes, a little bit tangy and bitter. After a while, the flowers appear. Tuberose and ylan-ylang is what my skin smells like. Yes, it’s about tuberose but a light one, glorious and full of joy. I can feel the orange blossom which give some pleasant bitterness to the composition. It gives the impression that each flower of the composition has its own place and appears when necessary.
This is a happy perfume. It has nothing dark in it. Maybe it is not like the others from Chanel, but I like its younger and clear approach.
The base is about musk and sandalwood, so it is nice and sweet.
I liked this perfume maybe because I am not a big fan of No 5. It is different from The Chanel line and it brings a younger touch to this house. My first word was: bright, so bright and full of light.
Everyone should give it a try without compare it to No 5. It has good sillage and good longevity.
5.0 6.0 8.0 5.5/10

Abstract modern fruity floral
Gabrielle opens with a modern, bracing, soapy aldehyde and sweet mandarine, not the vintage-smelling aldehyde in No.5, as if it's an effort to remind people that it's a Chanel fragrance but also to send the message: "Rest assured, this is not 'old-fashioned', at all".

The transition between the forcefully bright fruity aldehydic opening to the luminous, clean white floral heart is seamless. I can hardly discern any particular facets of these 4 flowers, "abstract floral" indeed. Slowly but surely, Gabrielle gets sweeter with time, and almost turns jammy and saccharine around the 3rd hour because of the cassis note. Thankfully, it then goes back to the "abstract floral" route and firmly remains in the "clean soapy fruity floral shampoo" territory till the end.

Gabrielle has a moderate sillage and a longevity of 8 hours on my skin.

I have to admit, the olfactory description employed in the press release is spot on. Gabrielle is indeed radiant, sparkling, luminous, feminine, and its treatment of flowers is very abstract. It's also predictable, inoffensive, pretty in the conventional way and attuned to the modern sensibility. Moreover, its jammy fruitiness is also clearly a sign that Gabrielle is engineered towards a young clientele of today, which totally makes sense for a major commercial launch from a business point of view.

However, from my personal point of view, I find Gabrielle derivative and uninspiring. While wearing Gabrielle for a few times, I was initially reminded of other abstract florals such as Dior J'Adore, Chanel Beige and Jour d'Hermès. But upon examining them more closely, the touted "abstract"quality of Gabrielle actually makes it appear more muddled and less refined, and ultimately the one with the least personality.

I would recommend Gabrielle to those who'd like a feminine, abstract, clean, modern aldehydic fruity floral from a widely-recognised brand, but I think there are other quality, similar-styled and more affordable choices out there, if one is not fixated on the Chanel brand.

Trucklady 122 days ago
Something reminiscent of Beige edp; a top note of minty quality and heart notes of yellow florals. No point owning both.+1
4.0
Alex1984 2 years ago
Expensive for a body spray, cheap for Chanel. Average 'shampoo' smell that was a comin' despite the hope that maybe, maybe it was good. No.+5
6.0
3.0
3.0
0.5
IanFriedrich 2 years ago
The opening scent is similar with J'adore
Gabrielle is for young girl who want some fun & J'adore is for mature woman who like to keep cool+4
10.0

by Lexa
by Nanina
by Nanina

Popular Chanel

Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Sycomore (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Parfum) by Chanel Chance (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel