N°22 2007 Eau de Toilette

N°22 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
N°22 (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 2007. The scent is floral-powdery. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Lily of the valley, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 27.11.2020.

Bus vs. taxi
First of all: I like Chanel 22, I like aldehydes and especially the way Chanel embeds them in a fragrance. The "22" smells aldehyde-flowery and very well-groomed .....the Ylang Ylang I take almost more distinctly than the Lily of the Valley .....in the base the vanilla stands out clearly and gives a pleasant sweetness...... "soapiness" I can't really recognize to my great regret......rather a coarse-grained powderiness......the scent is round, balanced, timeless and "très Chanel"....

But now comes my personal "BUT"......I am a great admirer of the No.5 (EDT)......for my nose (and also my wallet) the two fragrances are too close together to integrate BOTH permanently into my collection .......on the other hand they are different enough to be able to name a clear favourite ......and that is for me clearly the No.5........

While my nose perceives the No.5 as clear, radiant, sparkling and rather cool, I perceive the No.22 as warmer, rather milky, powdery and clearly softer......especially in the base when the vanilla sets in......

Chanel 22 (EDT) is for me the "bus stop", which is within reach, but to which I have to walk first...No.5 (EDT) on the other hand is the "taxi", which picks me up right in front of the door :-)...

No. 22 or how I learned to love the soap
Huiuiui Kernseifenalarm! After gardening we went to the small bathroom, where there was only cold water and where next to the sink there was always a small nail brush and a half dried piece of yellow curd soap, in which in the course of time more and more deep grooves formed, in which the black garden soil settled. So the first association when I meet Chanels No 22 for the first time.
But I guess I grossly underestimated the scent. Because after the first minutes with the curd soap on my arm, the piece of soap suddenly turns into a super noble soap cream, more creamy than soapy. And then the amazing transformation continues: the scent separates from the skin, becomes crystal clear, like a translucent pyramid of crystalline scent molecules, almost inaccessible but nevertheless beautiful to wear.
For me, No. 22 is becoming more and more a translucent vetiver scent, elegance in pure culture, perfection in top form. Floating, feather-light vetiver, enveloped in flowers, as if disassembled into individual components, constantly reinventing itself and complementing itself. Wonderful and never smelled like that before.
Perfection can sometimes intimidate more than conquer, but with Chanel No. 22 it's different for me. As an old Guerlain aunt, I haven't found a Chanel fragrance that has really stormed my heart. And this fragrance doesn't succeed either - after the first date it's more of an intellectually fascinated affection than an affair of the heart. But this number 22 could very well be my entry into the universe of Chanels. And who knows: Sometimes friendship turns into real love!

My spine
My number 22, my support, my rod, my spine. It's clean, it's perfect, it's Ariadne's thread that leads me out of the darkness of the cave, once I've talked my way in. In the conference room with lots of suits, I take a draught from my silk scarf, thank God, it is always there, my 22, don't leave me. "Don't be intimidated", whispers my 22, "my aldehydes are with you, don't worry, as long as I'm here nothing will happen to you". All good, all done, compliments, mate, perfect. Thank you my 22...
Number 22 is the soapy, clean variant of number 5, a highly revved-up aldehyde mixture, elegance just before tipping over, an olfactory tightrope walk, nothing more is possible. A thousand times polished, a thousand times tasted. That's it, that's perfect. Change one little thing, and this tower of aldehydes would collapse. But it holds and holds. And me with it.

religious experience
This truly is a High Frequency Scent, this #22. Vibrating and resonating, my body plucked like a string pulled taut between heaven and earth. spiritual, soulful, sensual.

This goes beyond scent and skin, as though I have slipped beyond my own perimeter into an boundless universe of fragrant delight.

in love with fizzy
No. 22 made me fall in love with aldehydes. Prior to our acquaintance, I only liked or appreciated aldehydes. I own a few, Chanel's No.5, Van Cleef's First, which are all glamorous beauties but left me cold. I got closer to Tauer's Noontide Petals and Guerlain's Liu but never contemplated a serious attachment until I met 22. The aldehydes are glorious, of the champagne fizzle type, not too soapy or powdery on me, as No. 5 and First became. I get the citrus that's bright and tart, the white florals and ylang ylang are smooth and ladylike. No. 22 is such a smooth composition with no rough edges (rough edges unfortunately brings to mind Noontide Petals which I do enjoy but find unfinished compared to Liu and 22). For me in the drydown, the aldehydes are still going strong and mixing with a woody tone, vetiver? I don't get the vanilla in this which is fine by me. Side by side comparison, Liu dries down and reveals it's Guerlainade DNA. 22 is all about Chanel. Both very French but still unique in composition. 22 for me is more affordable than Liu, which makes it easier for me to continue this relationship that is not as high maintenance but still full of class and fizz.

Great floral
This is was a challeging fragrance to my nose.
In the beginning i just did not like it and found a bit dated to my nose.

After some months trying, i've realized why this is called a masterpiece by some people.

This is a heavy aldehydic floral that turns to a beautiful floral and soapy scent when dries down.
First notes are a bit difficult to my nose, but the powdery and woodsy drydown is just wonderful.

I guess the tuberose note along with vetiver gives the fine tune to this fragrance.

Very well blended, this fragrance can be used for men without problems.

If you like aldehydes and florals, this is a must have.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are good.

Classic, Timeless Elegance
No.22 is so exquisite. I smell a gorgeous combo of white flowers and smoky incense with that signature CHANEL powdery aldehyde on top. It's simply timeless, one of the best of the Les Exclusifs line.

SUMMARY: 1920's flamenco dancer having a cigarette after the show

No.5's sexier, and naughtier twin sister
Chanel No.22 is much prettier and ten times sexier than Chanel No.5.

No.5 is like sharp baby powder and old cosmetics, whereas No.22, although powdery as well, has a beautiful array of floral accords, smokey incense and bourbon vanilla.

I can really smell the ylang ylang in this fragrance, along with the vanilla and the lily of the valley. These combined notes gives this scent a classically feminine appeal.

It's a confident scent with a touch of youthfulness, particularly with the sweet nuances. I initially detested aldehydes when I was younger, however since reaching my 20's, powdery scents are classified by me as being sexy scents.

Chanel No.22 is very white, but nowhere near being innocent. It brings to mind the feeling of being prim and proper but flirtatious at the same time.

The powder in this fragrance is less alarming than some aldehydic fragrances I've tried. It has some similarities to the beautiful D&G Women (the one with the red cap), which I also adore.

The sillage and lasting power is commendable, as is its ability to work well with any kind of skin chemistry. I highly recommend this classic Chanel masterpiece.

Thatsmr2usir
My all time favorite Chanel! Enough said!
Vintage: First let me start off my saying this is my favorite Chanel! No 22 is the envy of all ancient Chanel's! This classy beauty is by far one of thee most interesting & highly appealing fragrances I have come across! It opens up with a tremendous burst of Aldehydes in which No 5 can not compare. It then slowly progresses into a soft white rose fragrance which is later dominated by the best part of this fragrance which is the base! Incense, Vanilla & Vetiver form a highly delectable delicious aroma that is soothing to both men & women. No. 22 becomes a skin scent which is the only thing I do not like about it. I wish it could project for miles, however it is meant for close quarters & it preforms very nicely. Dare I say this is far superior than No 5 is a understatement. The vintage formula is best, altho the Les Exclusives line is not bad, I noticed they did tone down the incense in the newer version, however a remarkable structure to a underestimated fragrance IMO! Long live NO 22!

by HsChen
by Thatsmr2usir
by LanaL
by LanaL

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel