N°22 2016 Eau de Parfum

N°22 (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 2016. The scent is floral-powdery. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydesAldehydes
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
NeroliNeroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmineJasmine
RoseRose
Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesVanillaVanilla
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 12.10.2021.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume N°22 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel, which differs in concentration.

Overdosed
As my name suggests, I am quite fond of the products from the house of Chanel.
It's my second favorite fragrance manufacturer. (I wouldn't push the bags and other accessories off the edge of my bed either, in case someone wants to give me some as a gift.)
Chanel fragrances rarely go out on a limb, or rather you rarely have to open the same when it comes to Chanel fragrances. (Well, the Lion is a bit unusual, but still not whacky or unwearable.)
The other day, I acquired at a bargain price, a burst of the EdP of No.22, thanks to a generous Parfumo. This purchase allowed me to delve deeply into the fragrance, which first appeared nearly 100 years ago.
So I sprayed generously on it.
After only milliseconds, I smelled the 5th scent. (Where were the other 17, you might now interject. Well, they didn't come.)
The 5 really, truly and immensely made itself aldehydic, underlaid with a bit of draggy vanilla. After constant re-sniffing, I also detected a bit of ylang-ylang, but it was only laboriously detectable, obscured by a massive cloud of powder.
And anyway:
Powder! Cream!
If No. 5 and Nivea had a child, and this could be compressed by reduction or otherwise, condensed as it were, then No. 22 would come out of it.
I can't make out any flowers otherwise. My nose is too powdered. And too soapy.
If I previously thought White Linen, the dream of all washerwomen, was the cleanest, I am now taught better: No. 22 - the best Persil ever.

Strangely delicate
I bought two samples of Chanel 22 to give myself a good test run on it. I was surprised at how beautiful and delicate this perfume is, particularly with aldehydes.

Totally noticeable on first spray, it takes a while for them to nestle down, but when that happens (barely) I smell the Lily of the valley and jasmine. It’s so beautiful! I was expecting a stronger scent, as I had owned a bottle of No. 5 years ago, but it’s nothing like that, or at least my memory of it. I don’t smell vanilla. I pick up something else, but my nose is still untrained, so I can’t tell what it is. (Apologies).

I wear this fragrance day or night, but find it most pleasing when it’s warm outside. To me it’s not a winter scent. It’s about expecting a spring thunderstorm or summer rain, which in turn awakens flowers. It’s femininity and strength, luxury and self awareness. It’s something a Virgo woman wears with pride.

Longevity and sillage are both higher than expected, providing a day’s worth of scent. I would splurge on a big bottle of it if I didn’t already own so many perfumes!
Pinkdawn
A fragrance for queens and business ladies
There I sit with my shopping bags on the Christian-Broda-Platz in Vienna-Mariahilf, not far from my apartment. The autumn wind blows the tender, feathered leaves of the robinias that live there down on me. They are so bright yellow that I feel like I am in a golden rain. I wear Chanel N°22 and try to make contact with this fragrance, which is new to me, to see if it suits me and how I feel about it.

The Les Exclusifs de Chanel series now includes several - as the name suggests - exclusive and all very well-known perfumes. I count myself more to the Guerlain Group. That's why I recently tested a fragrance from this series, N°22, as I mentioned earlier. Incidentally, it owes its name to the year of its birth, 1922, although it has been reformulated. My comment refers to the eau de parfum released in 2016.
N°22 has always been considered the flanker of the legendary N°5 from 1921, and although this fragrance may be iconic and have its fans, I still can't do anything with it. It simply does not suit me.

How do I fare now with N°22?

It is said to be more "feminine" than N°5, "caressing", milder and powdery. That's not bad for someone for whom N°5 was always too "brisk" and strong.

Gladly awaited, I treat myself to a dose of N°22 and admit that the scent immediately impresses me. It is flowery, but not sweet, but soapy from the start. These are the aldehydes that are not too weakly represented here, I know. N°22 has an intense scent of white flowers, but it is not very sweet, it is rather elegant, noble, exclusive and ladylike. The EdP is expensive and smells the same: precious and noble. It manages the balancing act between intense and subtle. The discreetness creates something distant, cool. This aura of the unapproachable reminds me of the attractive, "cool" blondes from the Hitchcock films of the 1950s.

N°22 is described as floral-powdery. I like powdery. I'd like more of that here. But the scent is rather soapy. It gives you the feeling of being well-groomed, which is almost too perfect for me. I'm thinking of the famous retro soaps from the old days. They were available everywhere, in every drugstore, Lux, Camay and whatever else they were called, those soaps with the perfume scent, but they were marketed as luxury.

N°22 has something similar to vintage. It does not change much either. In the top note the aldehydes are very present. They give the fragrance that clean image of fresh out of the bath. Lily of the valley, which I love, and neroli I don't notice much. More so from the flowers of the heart note: jasmine, rose, tuberose and ylang-ylang. Jasmine and ylang-ylang dominate here.

Amber and vanilla in the base note could have given the fragrance feminine softness and sweetness. But they can't compete with the masculine vetiver. That's probably deliberate
I know the scheme of N°5, which is the same in structure. Both have a concise aldehyde note and close with a mercilessly strong vetiver. I like vetiver, but not when it is so intense that it takes away all sweetness from the floral scents and turns the fragrance into a chypre that is as if it were elegant.

N°22 is indeed considered feminine, sensual and seductive according to the description of the manufacturer Chanel. But I cannot confirm this. The fragrance has too little warmth and softness for that. For me it rather radiates the soulless crystalline perfection of a lady who wants to appear almost inhumanly perfect herself. The fragrance has an almost frightening hardness. I can imagine it on proud queens and self-confident business ladies in elegant clothes. In my opinion it does not suit sensitive women.

I too feel "disguised". N°22 and I are not compatible. The perfume is too perfect for me. It's not me. I don't want to be either. I think of all the wonderful flowers that have come together here, along with such deliciously sweet aromas as vanilla and amber: Jasmine, ylang ylang, neroli, roses, lily of the valley, tuberose... And I wonder how one can make a perfume with such a masculine attitude from such lovely scents. Soapy aldehydes and masculine vetiver reign supreme.

I imagine the woman who wears N°22 to be powerful, maybe a little bit know-it-all, very mature, serious and strict. And reserved. She always has herself and her feelings under control and knows exactly what she wants and how to achieve it
The flowers are already there, but frighteningly abstract. That's how I feel about them, anyway. Passion and liveliness, emotions like tenderness, devotion, joy, playfulness, flirtation and smiling are not present in my opinion.

No question, the fragrance not only has a solid durability, it is also good and has class. And size. I see it as a perfume for festive, maybe even official occasions, a kind of status symbol.

I like the soap, but it's too strong for me. Too much. Too much. Probably I am too weak or too sensitive for this classic fragrance for women who (want) to radiate power. I am neither a queen nor a business lady and I don't want to be.

With thanks to Leons for the rehearsal

Clean man/woman
Maybe one or the other may be surprised that a young man writes a comment to such a fragrance, but I am certainly no stranger when it comes to classic "women's fragrances". Chanel is my "home" anyway (together with Guerlain) and I like to wear Egoiste and Antaeus as much as I like No 22 or Misia.

Now for the fragrance. For me No 22 is what you probably imagined in the 20s under "clean". Nowadays the ladies are rather citric, the men " shower gel-aquatic". It was powdery then. The fragrance starts aldehydic-buttery and then migrates to vanilla-powdery. The flowers are just to underline the whole thing, I wouldn't call No 22 a flowery scent. This is Sister No 5, where you can clearly smell jasmine and ylang ylang. That's why I really like no 5 only as a piece soap. I have the privilege to own a bottling of the EdT and a Vintage Eau de Cologne (from America). It is clear that the EdP is a higher concentration and it is understandable that the fragrance has been used in lower concentrations for decades. The scent can be too much and too dense for many people, I can take it fortunately. What I find really unfortunate is that no 22 has stolen the incense. Today's version has lost complexity. Nevertheless, anyone who likes aldehyde scents should give No. 22 a chance, it is a great feeling to feel clean in this special way!

by Nikolina
by Nikolina
by PontNeuf
by PontNeuf

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel