Sycomore 2016Eau de Parfum

Version from 2016
Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jacques Helleu
Top 48 in Women's Perfume
Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 2016. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 28.10.2020.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel, which differs in concentration.

Androgynous vetiver....
After the sad loss of "Vetviver pour Elle" (Guerlain) I am extremely delighted to have come across this one....

Even if the majority of lovers and owners seem to be male, this fragrance is still declared as a women's fragrance.... and I now understand why.....

It's a classic vetiver....something is certain....grassy-woody and pollinated with a pinch of pepper....Vetiver is definitely to be liked, otherwise it will be nothing.....

What distinguishes him for my nose from typical men's veils is his softness..... his softness.....

The beautiful Chanel aldehydes create a discreetly waxy impression, which takes away the hard edges and creates smooth, flowing transitions for the individual components, which are typical for them......a little sweet tobacco smoke intensifies this impression even more and creates a mood of warm woody earthy security.....with increasing dominance of the woody notes.....

As a frequent hiker, I have a loving relationship with the smells of the forest and nature itself......to moss-covered tree trunks for example......but in order to finally make it into my heart, I would have been allowed to have one more flower besides the violet, which from time to time cheekily flashes through the undergrowth.....but then it would no longer be this enchantingly androgynous vetiver scent....then it would no longer be Sycomore....
The ultimate fragrance
Everyone finds the "ultimate" fragrance at some point. With me, it's Sycomore. Especially the Drydown (the ultra long one) is another dimension for me. The vetiver top note is a bit scratchy, but after that comes heaven on earth.
The path taken Part 2
Again I stood at the fork in the yellow forest. The one path, the darker one, was in my good memory and I was tempted to walk it again. Alone, I'm a perfume walker (or walker), I also had to get to know the other one. It's much nicer, tidier, right in front of me. A touch of noble orange freshness caresses my senses, urges me to leave. They had even secured the path to the sides with ropes and removed the wild growths.

In the middle of the forest, pepper orange trees smell, reminding me of the earthy warm liquorice haze I heard during my first trail experience. They stand in line and limb, up to the clearing in the distance and drip resinous orange blood. Under them a moss carpet is laid out. I break one of the branches and can't believe my eyes: small plastic parts are worked into the wood. Also the moss, as clean as freshly rolled out and completely odorless. On the way small puddles of orange resin have formed and I have to be careful not to step into them. Now would actually be time for a cigarette break, I think, but apparently I used up the tobacco on my last hike. So I pause and become aware of the already intense sunrays that fall through the not very dense canopy of leaves. The air has now filled with tiny pepper particles that float weightlessly around like glittering dust.

In general, I am driven to the end by a sensual sense of vegetative-vetiver freshness, but I am not able to get ahead without further ado. Due to my inattention I sank too deeply into one of the countless pepper orange puddles. The sultry, peppery air is slowly becoming a bit much. I wriggle out of my stuck shoe and continue on my way with dwindling steps, careful not to put my foot in another orange peel.

The path makes some not noteworthy detours. With the clearing in the distance always in view, I hurry past the endless pepper orange trees, the image of impressive fields of salty-juicy sweet grass perennials in my mind. I accelerate my step and meanwhile hop quite gracefully over all the impassabilities that come my way. My hat's coming off my neck. Anyway, I'm leaving him behind. Someone will need him. Both to the right and left of me, I see nothing but these trees. Accurately, as if pulled on a string. I accelerate again and concentrate on the clearing
I run out of breath after half an hour. The clearing is in the far distance. It seems I haven't made any progress. I lie down exhausted against a tree, feel the thin layer of moss underneath me and close my eyes.

When I wake up, the muffled pepper haze has largely dissipated. It's still light. In the far distance the clearing. I suddenly find myself at a fork in the road. Confused and overjoyed at the same time, I walk towards the dark, overgrown forest entrance. But, I'm clipping. It's just painted on. Behind the huge canvas the pepper orange forest stretches out.

This Lutens Sheldrake, I think in a fit of rage. Chanel episode, I still think
New Vetiver favourite
Sycomore by Chanel has revealed to me that I can "love" other vetiver fragrances besides the Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford.

Sycomore is completely different from Grey Vetiver except for Vetiver, of course.
At first I get a very nice cypress note, which reminds me of a walk through a pine forest.
If I then wait a few minutes, it becomes warmer and woodier and, in my opinion, underpins the cypress perfectly.
Vetiver nestles gently into the fragrance and is not intrusive, but rounds it off beautifully.
Tobacco and juniper I perceive quite discreetly, but definitely does not stand out.

My girlfriend loves the scent too. She remembers our vacations in Spain and France.
Whether it is for dinner or for a nice evening walk, Sycomore always makes me feel good and that is what I love about this fragrance.

Never again without!
The same, but different
With Sycomore we have once again a beautiful proof that the indication of twin fragrances is quite interesting, but unfortunately not very helpful in the decision making process in the search for fragrances.

Encre Noire, one of my absolute favorites, is also listed here as a fragrance twin at Sycomore. And yes, if you look at the scents, mainly vetiver and cypress - fits.

And then there's the bottling. And you spray yourself with anticipation with a strong thrust on the wrist. After all, I don't want to wear a men's scent, and Encre Noire is a men's scent. And yes, I don't really care whether I'm wearing a men's or women's fragrance, as long as it's beautiful. But Sycomore is a declared women's fragrance, and I would rather wear a women's fragrance... :-)

And there this spray shot has landed on the wrist... Yes, he immediately reminds me of my beloved Encre Noire - but stop!
Ui, but he's got a lot of wood in front of the hut... (well, it IS a ladies scent - muahahah, collapses) and then quite a spiciness too... (although I actually like pepper a lot). But unfortunately too much wood usually has the effect that it smells after a while - I don't like to pronounce it - peeled on it. And this effect will appear quite soon with me here...

Oh, what a pity... but in this constellation it is too much wood and spiciness for my nose and in the end so completely different from Encre Noire with its light sweetness. If I didn't know any better, I'd classify the two exactly the other way round, Sycomore rather than men's fragrance - whereby I would find unisex the most appropriate for both of them.

Well, the nose wants what the nose wants - and so Sycomore is allowed to move on and hopefully make a nose happy, which can do more with it :-)

Sycomore Eau de Parfum
Having not tried Sycomore EDT previously, I had no preconceived thoughts about this fragrance, other than having read that the EDT is more smoky and the EDP is more woody.

The Eau de Parfum is a dark woody fragrance, with fresh green and a warm medium smoky scent. The notes seem to switch back and forth between the vetiver and cypress, with a slightly spiced tobacco and juniper poking out here and there.

Though it is listed as unisex, this is seems to be more of a masculine scent. Due to its refined scent, I would gauge this best for age 25+.

With two sprays, the sillage was about 6 feet (2 meters).
If you feel like wearing this to the office, I would suggest limiting yourself to only one spray, as it is nicely potent.

The scent had a really strong sillage for about four hours, and then mellowed out a bit but is is still detectable from about 3 feet (1 meter) away.

Really well made!
9/10

Finerthings8Finerthings8 30 days ago
If i am not mistaken Laliques Encre Noire came out before this.For sure this one is beter but still doesn’t justify the price.i stick withEN
LillibetLillibet 3 years ago
Sycomore grew on me by degrees. It isn't a "swoon when you first sniff it" scent but it is tremendously versatile & I reach for it often.

by Rivegauche
by SonyCrockett
Sycomore EdP
by Lillibet

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel 1957 by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel