N°19 1971Eau de Parfum

Top 10 in Women's Perfume
N°19 (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1971. The scent is green-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Henri Robert

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Galbanum, Hyacinth, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Jasmine, Lily of the valley, Narcissus, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Leather, Musk, Sandalwood, Cedarwood

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 15.01.2021.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume N°19 (Parfum) by Chanel, which differs in concentration.

Tradescantia
Tradition - craftsmanship and emancipation in one bottle
Chanel No. 19 Edp, my third favorite perfume.

It opens with galbanum and seems strict. It is not a bit playful and I feel that is very appropriate here.
Neroli loosens up the top note a bit, but you can't talk about softening it.
The green of the perfume is just the right color. It is not dark, but bright, but just not directly left out. The fragrance is serious and does not want to please, yet it comes with many. For me best for working and learning. The head becomes downright free.

No note seems synthetic.
The flowers slumber magnificently in the base accord: rose, hyacinth, ylang-ylang and jasmine. In and of itself, this would have to act quite heavy, but it does not. Rather, a certain freshness always resonates, reminiscent of expensive cosmetics. Really creamy, however, the perfume is not. It is too tart and woody for that. The transition to the classic base note is subtle and grounds the whole. Oak moss as an elementary building block. A touch of leather, some sandalwood. Discreet and neat.

I don't put this on to go down well somewhere, I put this on because I really like it.

However, he is so serious for me that he does not always fit, but that should also be no claim and is only individual feeling.

I think it's nice that you can also wear it in the summer.
I do not like to do without intense floral fragrances, just because the temperatures rise.
In case of doubt, of course, it is still necessary depending on the occasion.
My grandma has always complimented this fragrance on me, which touched me, because she herself hardly used perfume.

I find the fragrance very emancipated and a sign of how well Chanel has mastered the balancing act between innovation and tradition for years.

Matching music... Definitely Beethoven.
An inspiring personality to whom this perfume would have suited: Erna Scheffler. The first female judge to rule for the Federal Constitutional Court.
Of course, this is only a subjective and somewhat emotional impression, but I just want to express how special I find Chanel No. 19.
Almost indispensable. Erna Scheffler, on the other hand, was not indispensable.
Thanks to her, women can express themselves As they see fit.

Classic elegance
When I wanted to try the other day in the perfumery both No 19 and Coco by Chanel, to have the direct comparison, because I could not decide, explained to me the saleswoman that No 19 is a rather fresh fragrance for the spring, and she would therefore recommend Coco for the winter.
A little bit, I had to smile there but, because I thought to myself that she has certainly not too often let the fragrance develop.

But no problem, that's what I'm here for, I like to do! :)

I did know what No 19 smelled like, but like I said, I wasn't sure which one I liked better.

So I walked around with both scents (No 19 left arm, Coco right arm) all day, sniffing every now and then.

Spoiler: I could not - and can me until today - decide which I find "more beautiful".

But after following it all day, I quickly realized that I particularly like smelling No 19 because it just smells super clean and crisp to me. But at the same time elegant and unobtrusive, and yet you can smell it.
The iris, which I love so much in general, comes through incredibly beautifully. Although the fragrance is fresh, it is also heavy at the same time and thus absolutely wearable for me, even in cold seasons.
On the contrary, when I wear No 19 now (yes, I have decided to do so, due to the fact that my colleague always wears Coco and I smell it so super often anyway), then I feel at this cold time of year as if my fragrance and thus my charisma merge with the cold and it becomes a great coherent composition.

It doesn't offer the typical contrast of "wear warm scents in cold seasons and vice versa" but it feels right to wear a scent that itself has a reserved and "cold" vibe. - Very strange description, I know.

All in all, No 19 is for me a terrific fragrance that you can always wear, I like it extraordinarily well!
An ode to joy
Although I tend to associate Chanel no 19 with the first movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, which is entitled Allegro ma non troppo, un poco maestoso, this fragrance is in itself simply an ode to joy. Majestic, wild, untamed and hard, Chanel no 19 starts with a slightly bitter and austere opening and therefore, in my opinion, can be compared very well with Beethoven's Allegro ma non troppo, un poco maestoso. Just as in the first movement of the 9th, the key of the scent pyramid changes and the leathery, bitter component gives way to softer, more lovely and flowery notes, which give this loud perfume a delicacy that breathes something heavenly into it. Something that is out of this world. For me, the rose but also the jasmine becomes clearly scented and this remains so for a while. A gentle play full of lightness until new scents are repeatedly added, culminating in a grande finale of floral, leathery and mossy components, only to slowly fade away and still remain tenderly noticeable on my skin. What a masterpiece, what a heavenly composition - an ode to joy!

INDIGOSPHINX
Why folks say this thing cold?
So I'm a 22 year old dude with a fairly vintage preference when it comes to perfumery. I love Bel Ami and Platinum Egoiste a lot. So...in my love search for more chypres that excites me, No 19 came across my radar.
I was a bit concerned at first because I was afraid not being able to pull this off. but I blind bought it anyway.

As I opened the package and sprayed it on myself, my immediate reaction is that this reminds me of No 5 big time. If you smelled No5 EDP and loved it, you will love this one for sure.

However, I find this warmer and creamier than No 5 EDP. Yes, you heard me. I found No 19 warmer.
While in no 5 that sharp Ylangylang punches you and leaves a trail of metallic aldehydes, No 19 becomes so comforting as it settles down.

On my skin, its a haven of hyacinth and sandalwood. And it is EXTREMELY elegant. Something about No5 is a bit vulgar to me, as if the wearer is trying too hard to announce oneself. However, No 19's impression on me is confidence, in the sense that the wearer is a very pleasant person to be around.

CREAMY, yep, I found this not only warm but also creamy. If you ever smelled hyacinth in nature, you will know that it has a green and fresh sharpness to it. That facet of hyacinth is gone here.

Finally,
to men who are watching:
This is less sweet than Dior Homme OG edt and Dior Homme Intense and more floral and natural smelling, and if you appreciate chypres you would not regret buying and studying this.
To ladies who are watching:
You might be concerned that you find various dudes writing a review here for a perfume marketed to female, you might be wondering if this thing is too masculine. NO. As a straight guy, I would be incredibly delighted if my girl wears this. I have to admit that although it is wearable for a guy, it would accentuate femininity indefinitely better. It's just that as a perfume lover, I find it a crime for such a beautiful creation to be only enjoyed by women!!

Classic green chypre
I got a very good 90s vintage bottle a while ago. For me this is like the green version of Cabochard or the animalic version of Jacomo Silences. It's very beautiful classic green chypre and dried with Santos-like animalic scent. It is not a beast mode, but it has rich and delicate elegance. Bergamot, Neroli, or Ylang-Ylang in it are very difficult to detect. Maybe it's because the top notes evaporated with age.

After that I tested the current version in a department store near my home. The current version has more flowers and some fruity sweetness compared to vintage. However there are just few animalic scent that fascinated me. I don't know if these differences are the result of reforms, or simply because the vintage bottle is old. Obviously, both are incredibly good. But for men, the vintage is much better.
Magic in a bottle
It was a shock for me when I met number 19 of Chanel. Evil, evil and green, I thought. That was the first chypre scent in my life. The whole world smelled of La Vie est Belle, of chocolate and biscuits. And compared to this, No. 19 was something completely different and special at the same time. Does anyone want to smell like that, I just thought, and if so, why? But the saleswoman in the perfumery said I absolutely had to try it on my skin and gave me a sample. The sample lay at my home for a few more years, until it finally happened and I dared to wet my skin with it. I sprayed the scent before going to bed and was prepared for the nasty comments from my husband, which, however, did not materialize. I woke up in the middle of the night and knew why. Something divine has awakened me, so indescribably beautiful, filling, elegant and tender has the fragrance become and has taken me forever in his possession. He chose me, not me him. That's why I don't want to list notes here, for me it was and still is the magic in the bottle
A lukewarm spring wind
This fragrance starts slightly bitter, but quickly evaporates and turns into a leathery moosy fragrance. Flowery things are also easy to catch. An incredibly elegant women's fragrance. The picture of a green spring landscape opens up to me. An elegant rider with saddlery made of fresh leather rides on a beautiful Arabian stallion through spring meadow and moss. She wears an elegant black leather handbag from Chanel. The wind carries the scent of moss and flowers. Even in summer this fragrance is easy to wear, but in my opinion it is best in spring.
Robin and Marian
The legend about the legendary hero Robin Hood and his great love Maid Marian is surely known to everyone.
But that he also loved to wear her favorite scent is probably unknown.

Her rarities were rare, since Robin Hood was constantly on the run and had to hide from Prince John's and Nottingham's sheriff's credentials. But time and time again Robin managed to get through to Marian and pay her a visit, in spite of all the imminent dangers. He could be incredibly imaginative not to be recognized. And every time he managed to escape undetected back into the forest.

Of course Maid Marian always wanted to make herself especially beautiful when she expected her Robin. She decorated her bower with particularly beautiful flowers, aroused in a beautiful incense burner the most wonderful smoke and wore a beautiful soft green robe.
Her only confidante, her valet, gave her a beautiful scent on these special, rare occasions. A fragrance that knew how to combine all her longings and her preferences for green, woody, mossy and spicy in one.
Maid Marian was very nature-conscious, but since she was under strict surveillance, she could never escape into the oh so wonderful nature to her adored Robin Hood, but could at least temporarily satisfy her longing with this even delicious fragrance.

Immediately after application, she felt deeply immersed in the cool shady forest in which Robin was hiding. The tall moss-covered majestic trees, the wonderfully spicy forest air, the beautiful flower meadow nearby, the small clear stream that she would love to sit on, all this passed her by in her mind when she enjoyed this delicious fragrance. Oh, how long has it been since she last saw each other....

Finally the moment had come, finally the beloved stood before her. Her heart was beating faster. Her beloved Robin was there, wrapped in chic green, the cheeky hat with the feather on her head, the mischievous smile that Marian loved so much.
But something was different this time. He used to greet her so gallantly... This time he pulled her to his arms and sniffed her.
"Oh, dear Marian, there's something so special about you today. You are surrounded by such a wonderful smell of nature, forest, precious resin. Say, what is this?"
"Dear Robin, since our reunions are unfortunately so rare and yet I often yearn so much for you and for the beloved forest, my dear and faithful valet has prepared a precious fragrance that can temporarily quench this longing"
With these words Marian handed her Robin the bottle. Robin immediately took a deep breath and a blissful smile conjured up in his face.
He applied a few drops of this wonderful fragrance and said: "Oh how wonderful, oh how blessed I am! This fragrance not only dresses my dear Marian, but me too! This knowledge unites us, and our love for our forest only closer!"
"Beloved Robin, I can only agree with you. It smells wonderfully delicious with you, even if harsher, spicier and less floral than with me. I'll ask my valet to make a bottle of this wonderful essence for you, too."
"Thank you very much, my love! I couldn't be happier."
"sigh...." (censored.....)

And so Marian and Robin became even closer to each other. No.19 contributed with its special kind quite certainly to it ;-)
(The plot was freely invented and lacks any historical basis. Nevertheless I would like to add that No.19 from Chanel is quite suitable for the Robins. It is green, spicy, with floral aspects, but not overly feminine, slightly tart and creamy and has an unbelievably good hold and exudes a certain erotic attraction, which is not superficial and cheap, but subtle and mysterious.
Dear Angelliese, I hope you won't be angry when I have taken your wonderful statement as inspiration and knitted a little bit further...)

Enigma
I ordered a back up bottle today, the equivalent of building a bunker at the edge of the millennium, I fear world war and pestilence. I'm told there is a movie where Adolf HItler wakes up, bemused, and finds that the bullet that blitzed his brain simply sent him to sleep for 70 years.
He's back, and I imagine the fields of Iris pallida and Rose de Mai as scorched earth. Coco, no angel where the Nazi's were concerned, inspired the perfume that is No 19 and I adore it. As many others vocalise this is my one and only, if I wasn't totally unfaithful to any one perfume.

For a more detailed breakdown of what No 19 is driven by (no aldehydes, no labdanum, little oak moss) see Elena from Perfume Shrine's article. It's a perfume that is driven as much by what it doesn't contain as what it does contain, It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. It's beautiful, just beautiful, forever and a day, until the 12th of never.

N°19 eau de parfum
I like so much this perfume. I like the kind of bitterness and coldness it has. Its beyond time and gender.

OmniamfayedOmniamfayed 9 months ago
The most beautiful dry down I have ever smelled❤
AldestAldest 2 years ago
Very sexy male fragrance !
Green Fresh. A magical floral accord emerges after one hour. It's a different kind of Vetiver after all.

by Hexana
by PontNeuf
by PontNeuf
by Maya11
by Maya11
Chanel - No. 19 EdP  (miniature)
by Lillibet
by Spring
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel 1957 by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel