N°19 (1971) Parfum

N°19 (Parfum) by Chanel
N°19 (Parfum) (Chanel)
N°19 (Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1971. The scent is green-floral. It is still in production.

Henri Robert

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Galbanum, Hyacinth, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Narcissus, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Leather, Musk, Sandalwood, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 28.09.2018

Bottle 6.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Fairies in a garden
The parfum of No. 19 is truly spectacular. I never tried a vintage. My bottle is from 2016 I think. But it is very heavily weighted in sharp, bitter, green galbanum and powdery, starchy orris root. I detect tender greens and yellowish wildflowers. It's a classy fragrance and feels cool and crisp. Definitely aloof, but just so magnificent. I feel it's totally different from the EDT and more similar to the EDP in a way. I find it less woody than the EDT, but I don't get the strong rose in it that I get in the EDP (when I last smelled the EDP around 2011), and it is far more starchy in orris & powdery iris than either of the other versions. Really, it's like all 3 could be different fragrances. Anyway, this one is not to be missed!

I didn't realize I had to review all the concentrations under the Parfum here, so here is a brief description of each:
Parfum (approx 2016) - Sharp, green, powdery, starchy, bright yellow florals
EDT (approx 2010) - Powdery, woody, green, no florals that I can easily detect
EDP (approx 2011) - Not very powdery, greenish and rosey
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.5/10
A scent to sink in*******
Yeah, I'll give you five stars. EdP says hello, but the perfume is even more intense in expression. It's as if I were lying in the middle of a meadow, forest around it, and all the scents suddenly reached my nose. Grass, freshly mowed, the aromas of bark, the green breath of fresh moss and mixed meadow flowers.
And it's powdery soft. Not THE powdery one that reminds of dry dust and is much too sweet.
No, JENES is powdery, fresh, subtle, slightly moist and seems to come from the depth of the perfume. Always somewhat delayed appearing after the "actual" fragrance. I also think of freshly washed, fragrant bed linen with a harmonious flower pattern, or with a lot of green inside. Early in the morning the sun shines into the room, while the cheeks touch the open window with cool air.
I would like to get up because the weather is nice, but on the other hand I would like to stay in bed for a while to enjoy the scent of "bed linen" together with "morning air".
I could sink into that. Stay in bed or on the meadow.
But the leaf canopy of the forest and the shimmering mosses are also tempting.
A difficult decision?
Not with Chanel N°19 Perfume or Eau de Parfum!
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Eau de Toilette Review
No. 19 is a strange one... A lot of people label this as a cold, heartless, "ice queen/boardroom bitch", kind of fragrance. I don't get that at all. To me it smells like a bunch of freshly cut morning spring flowers being newly placed in a vase.

I find this to be very soft, slightly powdery, and sensual. I don't find it "unemotional" or whatever. To me I think Chanel Cristalle fulfills all of those previous labels, that is one that I see as more masculine (and one which as a man I happily wear). No. 19 EDT opens a little like the Cristalle EDT does (hyacinch and bergamot) but the galbanum really gives it an amazing quality (warm and sensual). The powdery iris is really beautiful here. It's clean and fresh and sexy at the same time. I do get Oakmoss and Vetiver and I think the earthiness of the Iris (orris root) and the dryness of the Vetiver compliment each other beautifully.

It's true that this fragrance is the opposite of "girly", as it definitely gives off a grown up vibe, but I wouldn't say it's a "cold-hearted bitch" kind of perfume. To me it's quite alive and soft. The kind of person I would see wearing this would be an intellectual, kind hearted young woman, the kind of girl who is really attractive with a sweater and glasses who always has her head in a book, but doesn't know just how beautiful she is kind of thing. Alternatively any woman who wears a suit to work or academic but deep down is still really kind and loving to those around her.

With reference to the unisex quality often attributed to this, I find Chanel Cristalle (also by Henri Robert) more masculine than this, but something like "Dior Homme" (also an iris leathery fragrance) more feminine than this, it being sweeter and more gourmand than No. 19. Coincidentally... I know that my grandfather sometimes wears on occasion so I think it certainly wouldn't be out of place being worn on a man.

As mentioned before, this was Gabrielle Chanel's signature scent. It was originally private and exclusive to her, before being released publicly just before she died. However, that being said... I'm now starting to get a pattern in late Chanel perfumer, Henri Robert's creations: Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) is a green Chypre, No. 19 (1971) is a green floral, and Cristalle (1974) is floral Chypre. All have Citrus notes, all have Oakmoss, and all have Vetiver. But what sets No. 19 apart is the beautiful, sublime Iris note. Powdery, soft, warm and somehow elegantly clean... it undoubtedly makes No. 19 the plushest, most sensual, and most feminine of the trio. It really is a masterfully blended perfume.

I don't see Chanel No. 19 as a cold, "unemotional" fragrance, to me (a man's opinion) it's like meeting a very attractive yet quiet, shy, intellectual type of girl with a kind, warm, loving heart who you just want to cuddle up with on the sofa by the fire. This is just one gorgeously grown-up, well- balanced fragrance!
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 5.0/10
Chanel N°19
This fragrance opens with a boozy rose note. The spicy-sweet flower is framed by light woodsy and rich floral notes. These surrounding notes become more prominent as the fragrance progresses, causing it to morph from a spicy floral scent to a woodsy-green one. The new accord has got an astringent quality I find rather pleasant, as it is masterly blended with the light woods and therefore not too harsh. Additional powdery accents further soften the green main accord. This is a crisp fragrance - the fresh green colour of the juice is a good choice. Underneath said crisp green heart I detect a base which at first appears to be spicy, but is actually a leather accord. This scent is long-lasting and has great sillage – lasts more than six hours on my skin.
Scent 10.0/10
Might be my favorite CHANEL
I love so many by CHANEL that it's difficult to choose just one favorite, but sometimes I think it's the No.19 Eau de Toilette. It's green and outdoorsy. I love the outdoors, and the scent of this takes me there immediately. The strange thing is that the EdT is quite powdery, which isn't very natural or outdoorsy, yet it works for me. It reminds me that I am feminine. This is my #1 perfume for a walk in the park or for hiking. Somehow it elevates me and makes the outdoors just a bit more heavenly.

I know No. 19 has a reputation for being cold, austere, and suitable for the office. I can understand, and I do not disagree. But at the same time, I often find it so fresh and alive and green that wearing it indoors doesn't seem appropriate for me. And how can something that brings me so close to nature, therefore to my heart, be "cold"? No, I find this to be warm in the right ways.

I also have the Eau de Parfum, which is more rosey and not nearly so powdery. I don't like it nearly as much as the EdT and rarely wear it, although it's exquisite in its own right.

SUMMARY: "Deep in the Hundred Acre Wood, where Christopher Robin plays...."
transformative experience
Correction: this is my feedback on No.19 Poudré EDP -- which I just discovered has its own page.

Initially was somewhat reminiscent of Rive Gauche, however only picking up two voices, the sharp astringent underneath a creamy lily or tuberose scent

40 min later, develops into a delicate, but multivoiced scent. Made me think of delicate blossoming white flowers, very translucent. It has become a delicate and sweeter scent with a hint of the sharpness to prevent it from becoming cloyingly sweet -- retaining a piquancy. Making me think of bone china or fine thin porcelain tea cups, a young woman blossoming under the kisses of her lover; breathless, suspended quality of a ballerina with alabaster skin.

2.5 hrs later: more delicate, still the same tones but creamier.

6 hrs later delicate dry but also creamy at the same time.

This perfume made me feel young, beautiful and elegant, the way I felt when I was a ballet dancer.
jtd
Cardboard Terrarium
The opening of Chanel 19 edt is one of my favorite experiences. It is a focused demonstration of the iris. I agree with many of the characterizations of 19: venomous, aloof, off-putting. 19 is powdery, but coldly and bluntly so. Up top, other notes, especially galbanum and hyacinth, accentuate the iris root and add to the wonderfully acetone, dry-cardboard smell of 19. Chanel 19 edt is a floral fragrance, but far les so in the topnotes than in the heart. The chill remains, but the acetone and paper recede, and the rose/jasmine heart continues the green trend right through to a grassy, vetiver drydown that I would ultimately categorize as woody-floral.

If I could make any perfume moment last forever it would be the topnotes of 19 edt. (Aside: I feel similarly about Cristalle and Pour Monsieur. Love them. Just want to drink them in. But, sadly, all three edts are brief experiences.) Despite its passing nature, though, I love the whole shape of 19. It is a beautifully worked-out fragrance and has a coherence of tone from start to finish that is both effusive and logical.

My dilemma: the concentration. The various Chanel concentrations are notorious for their qualitative differences. The edt is not a dilute version of the edp or of the extrait. It is a different formulation. I’ve fallen in easily with one concentration of the other Chanels. No 5: I understand the edp; I enjoy the edt. Cristalle: I don’t quite understand the edp (it has a niceness that defeats the pretty brutality of the edt) and want to live in the edt. For 19 I want both the edt and the edp.

While there is a similar componentry, the edp is leathery and warm where the edt is a cool, rooty/grassy floral. The evolution of the edp has a much slower timeframe, and gives a warm treatment to its flowers, rose in particular. Though distinctive, the edp winds up a broken-in green, leathery chypre not far from the drydown of Scherrer’s Scherrer.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
Nakedness Adorned to Produce a Simulacrum of Nakedness
Walking barefoot through a dark forest at the dawn of civilization or, as Rousseau would say, avant la chute. Chanel No. 19 is a paradoxical artifice, creating, as it does, an illusion of untouched nature. Muddy earth, squishy mushrooms and wet spongy moss are massaging my feet as I walk. Dew is dripping from the shadowy leaves of trees far above.

A primordial scent which renders all words irrelevant, pure pretense and mendacity, No. 19 somehow leads the wearer back to the time before man invented sin. The epitome of nakedness adorned to re-create a simulacrum of nakedness. Rather like the manmade myth of Adam and Eve. Approach with caution...
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Rain on a Sunday Afternoon
Chanel no 19 conjures A rainy Sunday morning
with gray skies on a lush Irish
moors with the musk of pure green grass damp
from a early morning rain.
With the Morning mist blown from the sea
breaks the darkness of night into the new
dawn with some instinct you begin wondering
around feeling the refreshing
texture of the green grass beneath your
bare feet you start to be aware of your
senses around you you smell the sharp
bright scent of bergamot and spicy
hyacinth to awake your senses.
Then you hear the most haunting tune of
church bells your entranced by the clear
and most purest bells that chime you see
the most beautiful Celtic Cross made of
white stone and beautiful purple irises
and pale pink that adorn the alter of the
Virgin Mary and the vivid color of
the ancient Celtic Illuminated Book of
Kells.

Chanel no 19 has a beautiful Earthiness
that is not comely sluttish or flamboyant
it's a simple and pure scent
with a spiritual tone.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 6.0/10
Grassy green
I've never had any luck with Chanel fragrances and I definitely didn't fall in love with Chanel No.19 when I tested it today in the fragrance department.

Green is an excellent word to describe this scent. It's a mixture of wet sand, freshly cut grass and alfalfa sprouts to my nose. Something that I adore in nature but not on my skin.

This fragrance is fresh yet sharp and quite soapy. Although the floral notes are present in this fragrance, they aren't soft and feminine like other Chanel perfumes, instead they are sour and overpowering.

In the drydown I sensed the familiar soapy/powdery notes that are present in every single Chanel fragrance I've tried. I could easily pick a Chanel fragrance out of 100 other scents with my eyes closed.

I don't entirely dislike this scent; I do admire its individuality and freshness, however I'm more attracted to florals and sweeter scents. The lasting power is excellent, but that is to be expected from Chanel. On the right person this scent could be very distinctive, sophisticated and unique.

Jazzy76 19 days ago
Green, earthy, classy and refined: a precious scent to wear with a silk shirt and a string of pearls and masculine pants. Wonderful sillage+2
Bottle 9.0
Sillage 7.0
Longevity 7.0
Scent 8.5

Discussions about N°19 (Parfum)

Dulcemio in Miscellaneous

• by Nosynora by Nosynora
  • by Diorella by Diorella
  • by ExUser by ExUser

Popular Chanel

Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Sycomore (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Chance (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel