N°5 1986Eau de Parfum

Top 50 in Women's Perfume
N°5 (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1986. The scent is floral-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Neroli, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Jasmine, Lily of the valley, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by Estate, last update on 15.01.2021.

MsGina
The beginning of a great love.
In the summer of 2 years ago I decided on a hot Saturday that a new perfume had to be found. After three stays in hospital and several operations I had the desire for a new fragrance to start another chapter in my life.
Soon I decided rather half-heartedly for a fresh, fruity scent and tested only out of curiosity the No. 5 on the other arm
"What a stinker! " So my first thought was. With my new acquisition, I left the store, strolled back to my parking lot and smelled on both wrists alternately.
Unfortunately, my new acquisition in the summer heat developed into a sweet and sticky mixture. The 'Stinker' however became more and more pleasant. Gentle, serious, but friendly, bright, soft and pleasant. Present but not intrusive.
Less than half an hour later I realized that I had completely misjudged this great scent and that I absolutely had to have it.
In another branch of the perfumery I was lucky enough to return my bad purchase and at the same time happily take the No. 5 with me. From that day on, my great love, although I now prefer the pure perfume.
The smell makes me feel safe. A perfume which I wear mainly for me
For me Chanel Nr 5 EdP smells like security, peace, serenity and style.
I think the fragrance is suitable for all ages, but it is a very mature fragrance, it does not play.

With me it lasts 6 to 8 hours, but stays close to the body.
Chanel Nr 5 - the fragrance for natural authority
This fragrance is and remains the true one, if you want to radiate something like natural authority, especially if you don't have it spontaneously available, because you forgot it in the car, for example, or in the bathroom or between the newspaper. That's how I felt today:
For some time now I have been thinking about how I could make a fool of myself again. I didn't have to wait long and the situation arose. I messed up one thing. That is to say, my colleague and I actually messed them up together, but I did a bit more, because you had to be powerful to really mess up Italian, which unfortunately my colleague is not, but I am. I really hit it. Shortly after that I was invited to the boss, and while I was still thinking about whether I was really an idiot enough with this messed up thing, a second messed up thing came unexpectedly, so that the invitation was at least really worthwhile. What a beautiful day!, I thought to myself in the morning and pondered: Which perfume suits this wonderful day best?
Chanel No. 5, of course. It's the fragrance that best gets you through these days. No matter how stupid you look - with the No. 5 you always appear somehow competent and authoritarian. You grow by at least 20 centimetres, which enables you to communicate at least at eye level. These are of course the aldehydes. At the beginning they march up with such military rigour that the whole environment, depending on the situation, comes to a standstill or at least goes mugging. What a wonderful smell! What strength in the first moments! The aldehydes cover every sensitive area like a protective film. It is possible that Siegfried did not bathe in dragon's blood at all, but in Chanel No. 5 - who knows for sure even today. This perfume gives strength to anyone who needs it, it never lets anyone down. Maybe that's why it has so many lovers and so many enemies. Similar to some beers, I suppose you have to pass a maturity test first. You have to go through the enormous aldehyde wave and get used to it, and then discover a wonderfully warm, spicy, floral note at its core, which becomes more feminine by the hour, and finally, after the struggle you have survived for which you put on this fragrance, lulls you into delicious relaxation. When you get to the woody base, you're already relaxed and happy enough to pat yourself on the back and say, "You did good! And tomorrow we'll do it again!
SchatzSucher
The cool beauty with the warm heart
I could slap myself that I have not gotten to know this wonderful scent before. I've never met Chanel No. 5 anywhere My mother never liked him and there is no one in my circle of acquaintances who wears or ever wore Chanel No 5. I began to wonder if this scent might be so aloof that no one would dare to approach it.
Now he is recently with me as a test specimen in the eau de parfum version and I am raptured
I know it does not correspond exactly to the original No. 5 of 1921, but is considered a new interpretation created in the 1980s by Jacques Polge. But I consider this new interpretation to be outstandingly successful.
And I am relieved to discover that Chanel No 5 is not an aloof and unattainable fragrance.
I have been working on the fragrance for quite a while now and would like to say a few sentences about it.

First of all I notice this cool, slightly candle waxy note, with an almost metallic touch. In addition one can guess delicate citrus notes, which lighten up this waxy-metallic cool note.
Soon a bouquet of bright white flowers appears, so pure white that I am almost blinded by its beauty and brilliance. The cool impression is still there, together with the candle wax-like background.
The radiant bouquet lasts a long time and waves with its cool elegance.
There is something diva-like about it, whereby Chanel No 5 never seems bitchy and alluring in my nose. The overall impression is altogether a very friendly one, even if a bit distanced.
But we divas like to allow a little distance
You have to wait a long time for the base, because here a very skillful turn takes place.
The splendid bouquet of flowers has made its entrance, recedes somewhat into the background and leaves the stage to the notes, which provide a reversal from cool to warm. Amber and vanilla are the most obvious, sandalwood may be present in small traces, I don't smell vetiver.
I have already encountered this reversal from cool to warm with other fragrances, but here with Chanel No 5 I notice it particularly clearly.
And this fine note of candle wax still resonates, I would even like to say that the candle has just been blown out and the hint of warm wax and this fine smoke gives the fragrance an even more refined underline.
Who of us hasn't already consciously perceived this fine smell of a freshly extinguished candle and enjoyed it?
After many hours, the fragrance bids farewell quietly, gently floral and delicately vanilla, like the last glow of a candle until it is completely extinguished.

My conclusion:

Chanel No 5 is a fragrance that should be performed, that needs a great performance and audience. A big gala, a party with evening dress and beautiful jewellery. For the everyday life almost too bad.
This aldehyde candle wax note may certainly put some people off and may also seem old-fashioned (I have often read "Alte Hütte" in aldehyde-laden scents, I find it fitting and delicious), but I prefer to replace the term "old-fashioned" with "timeless".

On the subject of durability, I can only say that many a modern water, whether for ladies or gentlemen, can cut a very thick slice off this EdP. There are easily nine hours in there. At the beginning you are also very well noticed
One of the really great fragrances and in my opinion rightly a wonderful classic and one of the most famous and best-selling fragrances. No matter what the concentration of the fragrance, each one will have its advantages and its lovers.
And it is not for nothing that this composition is the inspiration for so many other fragrances that float along in the aldehyde fairway and some of which can and could hold their own just as well.
I am thinking of Tosca, as well as the original No 5 published in 1921, or Nonchalance from 1960, where there are many similarities
I thank you, dear Santalwalti, very much for making it possible for me to get to know and love this treasure!
I also felt like getting to know the other scent concentrations.

I can only advise everyone to try it. Even if you decide against No. 5.
Grandma's bang
"boring granny stink smell" that's what I used to think when I saw Chanel No 5 in the shop shelf.
But I had never tested him... and I also knew how to judge him... Such a well-known smell and I had prejudices, although I had never smelled it before...

How superficial of me. I must say, I'm almost a little ashamed of it :(

When curiosity had won over me again and I decided to test this "grandma water", I was almost a bit nervous...
What does this fragrance actually have in store for me? I don't know anybody who wears or wore No. 5 and therefore had an absolute 00.00 comparison...

So I asked a saleswoman in one of my favourite fragrance shops if she could give me a sample of Chanel No. 5 so I could try it.
With the "grandma-stink-water" in my luggage I go home and prepare myself mentally for a probably very strong slap in the face of the "grandma"...

With awe I spray "the grandma" on my arm and smell with closed eyes - for fear of the bang - sometimes shy at my arm:

Yes, but there's a little bang, but not as great as expected...

"Grandma" first throws "old hats" around her before she reaches for bergamot and lemon...

-----The prelude of aldehydes, bergamot, fresh lemons and neroli is rather "old-fashioned" and already very "fresh" but not bad, I have to say (I don't like citrus scents)...

Shaken by the "throwing around" of the "old hats" and the citrus drizzle of the "grandma", some dust has stirred up...

-And the scent becomes slightly powdery through the iris.... Also a light sweetness - probably from him Jasmin - I can sniff out...

The "dust" hasn't settled yet and grandma already starts to wash off the "dust" with soap everywhere. Full of energy and with a lot of soap "the granny" scrubs what holds the stuff!

-----The scent runs with the powdery into the soap and holds surprisingly long in this fine powdery soap state on my skin...

The "grandma" - still angry - starts to tear the wooden slats out of the ground !

-----The scent becomes with me after approx. 4.5 to 5 hours of the fine powdery soap additionally still easily "musty-woody", which is here very harmonious and suitable...

"The "grandma" has slowly reacted a bit and the energy is gradually dwindling...

-----The smell says goodbye with me after a wearing time of approx. 9 hours, which is nevertheless tidy..

In summary, I can say that "grandma" is sympathetic to me and I like her. She is a bit energetic and crazy, but still she has class and charm... (a real grandma hald ;)

I would like to revise my prejudices against Chanel No. 5 - stamped as "granny fragrance" - but advise everyone to test the fragrance once ...

TetrodoxTetrodox 1 year ago
This is the bourgeois middled age woman's fragrance par excellence. It's a rich bitch slap in ur face, & you turn the other cheek for more!

by Leloup
by Nisie
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel 1957 by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel