N°5 1921Eau de Toilette

N°5 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jean Helleau
N°5 (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1921. The scent is floral-powdery. It is still in production.
Scent goes well with For Her Fleur Musc (Eau de Parfum)

Ernest Beaux

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Neroli, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Grasse jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, May rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by Estate, last update on 05.11.2020.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume N°5 (Parfum) by Chanel, which differs in concentration.

Susan
And life... an eternal circle...
This beautiful song from "The Lion King" was the first thing that came to my mind when I sprayed Chanel No.5 EDT in a perfumery for the first time today - after many decades.....

A fragrance description in the sense of scents is - so I think - not necessary at this point......this has already been done in detail by other dear members....
And just as the morning sun symbolizes the end of a past day and the beginning of a new one, so Chanel No.5 - right now, at this moment - also announces the beginning of a new cycle in my decades-long fragrance journey.....the circle has been completed......I am standing where I started.....at Chanel No.5.......

When I first discovered this fragrance at the age of 13 or 14, it was definitely "mainstream"......it was as present as today's "Angel" or "La vie est belle"......meanwhile it is not anymore.....everyone knows it (even if often only from hearsay), but only few wear it.....rather maybe still its flankers......

Here I sit now and feel as if I have just come home after a long journey......yes, THIS is a perfume as I imagine it....elegant, timeless, noble, classic, sovereign and feminine beyond all measure.....according to Madam Chanel's imagination, whose wish it was to create a perfume that smells "like a woman".....
Whether women really smell like this from the house, I dare to doubt......Jean-Baptiste Grenouille could certainly give better information about this ;-)......

What I can confirm, however, is that Chanel No. 5 gives the wearer, who is fond of it, a perfect feeling of deep and sensual femininity, and that this extraordinary fragrance will celebrate its 100th birthday next year, and not without reason......
Simply beautiful!
What do you do to be desirable for the other (or your own) sex. Humanity sprays itself with all kinds of exotic scents from the animal kingdom or dabs mouldy tree resin or similar behind the ear. Pheromones and other adventurous substances are also often used in modern fragrances. You are really beginning to be spoilt for choice! In contrast, Coco Chanel's wish was relatively modest: she wanted a perfume "that smells like a woman". This is probably the reason why No 5 became the most famous fragrance of all time, it apparently fulfils an elementary need of many women on this planet: to feel like a woman and be perceived as a woman by the opposite sex.

At the beginning I perceive a (albeit highly exclusive) hairspray note, followed by the characteristic waxy scented rose petals and peels of citrus fruits and a very sensual base. But what am I talking about? Most people will know how this perfume smells! The fragrance is truly a masterpiece and actually bears a striking resemblance to the "natural scent of women". Mainstream? No shit! Who knows what else is mixed into the popular niche fragrances, of which the bona fide consumer has no idea ;-)

In my younger years, I held Chanel No 5 in rather low esteem, it just smelled old-fashioned and madam-like to me. Today, however, I find this fragrance very natural and at the same time perfectly elegant
Perhaps it is also a "symptom of old age" that one gradually starts to let go and at the same time becomes more choosy? Maybe one day I will stop trying out new fragrances? At the end of my life at the latest, at any rate. Before that, the motto is: Reduce to the max!
Sentiments
Now I'm afraid I've had it too. I was a self-confessed non-Chanel fragrance wearer.
Just the typical Chanels like Chanel 5 I felt for me too adult, too musty oll.
Perhaps it is due to the fact that the sense of smell or the perception of scent is always
changes. At Chanel 5, my nose lasted a long time. Almost 40 years she has refused
and I'm ironclad with.
And then I get Chanel 5 EdT and I sniff it. Wow, what a memory explosion started right away. Like an ICE racing through all the stages of my life with over 300.
Tears, laughter, sensuality, horror, love. Everything together and individually and again together that it was a total mess in my nose.
It has taken me so long to appreciate and understand this fragrance. It's like a motherly embrace, where you press your head firmly against the mother's breast. Or the embrace of a dear person, a heart person, whom you pull so tightly to yourself that you have the feeling that you are one. Soft and warm and such a beautiful feeling of security.
Aldehydes that float through the air like finely spun threads. The colour of Chanel 5 is not green, but dry, powdery-herb in rich yellow. Refreshing lemons and vetiver sprinkles. Green-splashy and cheeky. Iris in her gentleness walking creamy and fluffy hand in hand with Madam Jasmine in the park. Quietly giggling and yet well-behaved. The lily of the valley, which can only be guessed at from time to time in the background and quietly moves the bells in the wind.
And sandalwood - my hated sandalwood. It's like here, Chanel 5 can't be without sandalwood
works. Sweet, milky, woody. Normally I could speiben with sandalwood, but here it fits. Vanilla goes under, but is only used as a base, if at all. Neroli and Rose are also listed, but play a more unnoticed role than extras.
Chanel 5, you have me now... or do I have you? A wonderful fragrance, a miracle for my nose.
Thanks to a rehearsal.
i was now able to test a Chanel fragrance for the first time. I would like to like it, because such a pretty Chanel bottle also looks good in the collection. I put some droplets on my wrist and sniffed directly. First of all, it smells very fresh. I don't like to hear special notes. Increasingly No5 becomes "soapy" and exudes its scent strongly. It smells clean and pure, I can easily perceive the flowers. For an eau de toilette I find the durability enormous. Unfortunately, the scent remains mainly smelling of soap, although not totally unpleasant for me, but for me personally just too little sweet, I had hoped for something else, because the base notes so often occur in perfumes, which I like very much. Unfortunately not really mine, but for all those who like clean, fresh and pure fragrances it will certainly fit great!

Vintage No. 5 = A Fine Wine
Smelling vintage No. 5 is like sniffing a fine wine to me. I'm not a fan of aldehydes and never have been, we don't get along too well, nor am I particularly fond of a perfume that is too heavy on the florals. But sniffing No. 5 is a whole new ballgame.
I was introduced to it as a child by my mother, and it wasn't my favorite. As a young adult, I was gifted it, and again, I just put it aside, not really appreciating it. I just have always leaned towards the oriental or gourmand side. I knew this was a hugely popular perfume and there had to be something to it, so why didn't I enjoy it?
A few years ago, a neighbor's mother passed away. She was in her 80's. One day, he handed me a carton of her perfumes, telling me he didn't know what to do with them. I took them, thanking him, not knowing what I would find in the box. After all, his mom was an older woman, so I knew there would be some interesting choices in there.
Lo and behold, there it was. Chanel No. 5, staring me in the face. Again. Daring me to pick it up and smell it. But this time, when I uncapped the Edt, something miraculous happened. The vintage inside that I swirled around was captivating. It had matured like a fine wine. It had such a heady aroma, I couldn't stop sniffing. This stuff smelled good.
The aldehydes have muted somewhat, allowing the civet to come to the forefront along with the vetiver. There's more earthiness to it that wraps around the florals too, but those florals will always be strong. There's also a muskiness that seems to overwrap the whole perfume. The woods come into play in the last phases along with a mild vanilla that surprises. It strong with the real civet. And, you have to be a civet lover to understand the beauty of it.
It's not a perfume to be taken lightly, it's one to be revered and worn at the pulse points. It's not a body spray or a fragrance mist. Chanel No. 5 is a mature perfume that warrants a mature nose that appreciates it.
How does it compare to today's? If anyone has sampled the formulations of today, they know it is a far cry from the vintage. More like an empty room missing pieces of its furniture.
If you're not an aldehydes or floral fan, this one's not for you. Pass go, keep your $200 and buy something else. There are plenty of perfumes in our world to sample and enjoy. But most definitely, if you do want to try it, stick to the vintage.

Review for the vintage Eau de Toilette
A truly perfectly balanced floral done in the way only Chanel could do. It is delicate and classy as well as being alluring and sensual, as if giving off a warm glow around the person who wears it, like a soft, golden "aura" following them.

It is subtle, but it compliments your own natural skin beautifully and it a natural way... as if enhancing your presence and making you feel beautiful and confident at the same time.

Ernest Beaux, the genius that he was, knew women so well, this fragrance seems to work and adapt differently on each persons skin. It has universal appeal... and works well with women of ANY culture, creed or generation. There is a reason why this one is hard to beat, even after 90 years, and why it will still be around 90 years from now.

50 ml
by WANJA
by WANJA
by Gumschel
by Gumschel
DER duft meines sterns....
by Couchlock
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel 1957 by Chanel