N°5 (1921)Eau de Toilette

N°5 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jean Helleau
N°5 (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1921. The scent is floral-powdery. It is still in production.

Ernest Beaux

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Neroli, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Grasse jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, May rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by Estate, last update on 25.03.2020.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume N°5 (Parfum) by Chanel, which differs in concentration.

10.0 9.0 9.0 9.0/10

Greatly helpful Review
Sentiments
Now I'm afraid I've had it too. I was a self-confessed non-Chanel fragrance wearer.
Just the typical Chanels like Chanel 5 I felt for me too adult, too musty oll.
Perhaps it is due to the fact that the sense of smell or the perception of scent is always
changes. At Chanel 5, my nose lasted a long time. Almost 40 years she has refused
and I'm ironclad with.
And then I get Chanel 5 EdT and I sniff it. Wow, what a memory explosion started right away. Like an ICE racing through all the stages of my life with over 300.
Tears, laughter, sensuality, horror, love. Everything together and individually and again together that it was a total mess in my nose.
It has taken me so long to appreciate and understand this fragrance. It's like a motherly embrace, where you press your head firmly against the mother's breast. Or the embrace of a dear person, a heart person, whom you pull so tightly to yourself that you have the feeling that you are one. Soft and warm and such a beautiful feeling of security.
Aldehydes that float through the air like finely spun threads. The colour of Chanel 5 is not green, but dry, powdery-herb in rich yellow. Refreshing lemons and vetiver sprinkles. Green-splashy and cheeky. Iris in her gentleness walking creamy and fluffy hand in hand with Madam Jasmine in the park. Quietly giggling and yet well-behaved. The lily of the valley, which can only be guessed at from time to time in the background and quietly moves the bells in the wind.
And sandalwood - my hated sandalwood. It's like here, Chanel 5 can't be without sandalwood
works. Sweet, milky, woody. Normally I could speiben with sandalwood, but here it fits. Vanilla goes under, but is only used as a base, if at all. Neroli and Rose are also listed, but play a more unnoticed role than extras.
Chanel 5, you have me now... or do I have you? A wonderful fragrance, a miracle for my nose.

Thanks to a rehearsal.
i was now able to test a Chanel fragrance for the first time. I would like to like it, because such a pretty Chanel bottle also looks good in the collection. I put some droplets on my wrist and sniffed directly. First of all, it smells very fresh. I don't like to hear special notes. Increasingly No5 becomes "soapy" and exudes its scent strongly. It smells clean and pure, I can easily perceive the flowers. For an eau de toilette I find the durability enormous. Unfortunately, the scent remains mainly smelling of soap, although not totally unpleasant for me, but for me personally just too little sweet, I had hoped for something else, because the base notes so often occur in perfumes, which I like very much. Unfortunately not really mine, but for all those who like clean, fresh and pure fragrances it will certainly fit great!
6.0 7.0 6.0 6.0/10

Vintage No. 5 = A Fine Wine
Smelling vintage No. 5 is like sniffing a fine wine to me. I'm not a fan of aldehydes and never have been, we don't get along too well, nor am I particularly fond of a perfume that is too heavy on the florals. But sniffing No. 5 is a whole new ballgame.
I was introduced to it as a child by my mother, and it wasn't my favorite. As a young adult, I was gifted it, and again, I just put it aside, not really appreciating it. I just have always leaned towards the oriental or gourmand side. I knew this was a hugely popular perfume and there had to be something to it, so why didn't I enjoy it?
A few years ago, a neighbor's mother passed away. She was in her 80's. One day, he handed me a carton of her perfumes, telling me he didn't know what to do with them. I took them, thanking him, not knowing what I would find in the box. After all, his mom was an older woman, so I knew there would be some interesting choices in there.
Lo and behold, there it was. Chanel No. 5, staring me in the face. Again. Daring me to pick it up and smell it. But this time, when I uncapped the Edt, something miraculous happened. The vintage inside that I swirled around was captivating. It had matured like a fine wine. It had such a heady aroma, I couldn't stop sniffing. This stuff smelled good.
The aldehydes have muted somewhat, allowing the civet to come to the forefront along with the vetiver. There's more earthiness to it that wraps around the florals too, but those florals will always be strong. There's also a muskiness that seems to overwrap the whole perfume. The woods come into play in the last phases along with a mild vanilla that surprises. It strong with the real civet. And, you have to be a civet lover to understand the beauty of it.
It's not a perfume to be taken lightly, it's one to be revered and worn at the pulse points. It's not a body spray or a fragrance mist. Chanel No. 5 is a mature perfume that warrants a mature nose that appreciates it.
How does it compare to today's? If anyone has sampled the formulations of today, they know it is a far cry from the vintage. More like an empty room missing pieces of its furniture.
If you're not an aldehydes or floral fan, this one's not for you. Pass go, keep your $200 and buy something else. There are plenty of perfumes in our world to sample and enjoy. But most definitely, if you do want to try it, stick to the vintage.
7.5 5.0 7.5 9.0/10

Review for the vintage Eau de Toilette
A truly perfectly balanced floral done in the way only Chanel could do. It is delicate and classy as well as being alluring and sensual, as if giving off a warm glow around the person who wears it, like a soft, golden "aura" following them.

It is subtle, but it compliments your own natural skin beautifully and it a natural way... as if enhancing your presence and making you feel beautiful and confident at the same time.

Ernest Beaux, the genius that he was, knew women so well, this fragrance seems to work and adapt differently on each persons skin. It has universal appeal... and works well with women of ANY culture, creed or generation. There is a reason why this one is hard to beat, even after 90 years, and why it will still be around 90 years from now.

50 ml
by WANJA
by WANJA
by Gumschel
by Gumschel
DER duft meines sterns....
by Couchlock

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel 1957 by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel