N°22 (1922)Parfum

Top 48 in Women's Perfume
N°22 (Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1922. The scent is powdery-floral. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Ernest Beaux

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Lily, Lily-of-the-valley, Neroli, Orange blossom, Tuberose
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Nutmeg, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesIris, Vanilla, Vetiver, Frankincense

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 04.05.2020.

Gorgeous Soapy White Floral
This review is for the vintage EdT, c. 1990.

Top Notes: Tuberose, Lily, Neroli, Lily of the Valley, Orange Blossom, Aldehydes.

Heart Notes: Nutmeg, White Rose, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang.

Base Notes: Iris, Vanilla, Vetiver.

For a very long time, I was afraid of No. 22. Its legendary aldehydes caused me to keep my distance. If they were not enough to make me reticent in ordering it, there was the unfortunate issue of poor performance to consider. Frankly, at Chanel prices, it did not seem worth the risk. However, I recently had the opportunity to acquire a vintage EdT, and I decided to take the plunge. I am more impressed than I ever thought I would be! Wow!

No. 22 is a divine, soapy white floral. I do not think I really understood what "soapy" meant until I smelt No. 22. It smells very "French" and very elegant. Yes, there are aldehydes that persist throughout the wearing, but they are not the monsters I feared they would be. Some people think No. 22 is a version of No. 5, but I disagree. No. 22 stands completely on her own merit, and she smells much more elegant and refined than No. 5. No. 22 is the type of fragrance I envision being worn by a very refined, very wealthy woman.

The beautiful white floral notes seem to float on the aldehydes in this feminine composition. It smells soapy, clean, and fresh. Thus far, I do not detect the incense that so many reviewers claim to detect. To my nose, this is simply while floral perfection. I picture the woman who wears this as tall, slender, with porcelain-like skin. She wears her elegantly styled hair upswept, and she is draped in the finest silk garments.

The story goes that whence Coco Chanel was ready to launch her first fragrance, Ernest Beaux wanted her to choose No. 22, but she chose No. 5 instead. All I can say is I agree with M. Beaux. Chanel should have taken his wise counsel. The man was a genius. I cannot wait to find out how No. 22 performs in cold weather. I bet it will be stunning.

The vintage EdT has better than average, projection, sillage, and longevity, too.

Embraceable Twenty Two
A pink satin-clad version of No.5.

The romantic floral bouquet, exquisitely captured by Ernest Beaux's mastery of aldehydes, is what makes No.22 more embraceable than her older sister.

There is no particular aspect to the scent that makes it stand out, but a simple keen loveliness that stays in the memory.

A product of the Roaring Twenties which reflects in its streamlined profile the boyish androgyne silhouette that was the fashion of the day.

A heritage masterpiece.

LovingTheAlien
The smell of ancient wisdom.
I find most of Ernest Beaux's fragrances to be a bit simplistic and utilitarian. That is absolutely not the case here. This is poetry in perfume.

The clear aldehydic opening smells of the sun reflecting off of the snow. Flowers come together and lose their identity, instead becoming a cool, sharp wind. Ancient stone steps, still redolent of the incense burned there for centuries, crawl upward into the heavens.

This may be the most intensely religious feeling perfume I've ever encountered. An incredible beauty.

by Daneh
by Daneh
by Digindirt
by Digindirt
by Evita
by Evita

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel 1957 by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel