N°5 1921 Parfum

N°5 (Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1921. The scent is floral-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Ernest Beaux

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydesAldehydes
BergamotBergamot
NeroliNeroli
LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesIrisIris
Grasse jasmineGrasse jasmine
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
May roseMay rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.06.2021.

Mean and whimsical things about the eternal No. 5
Not that I don't tip my hat to Mademoiselle Gabrielle's great throw; it was THE
Liberating blow in the '20s from the lush, heavy florals and oriental perfumes that befuddled more than subtly seduced. Exciting and new as fashion finally became more wearable and flattering, turning women into light-footed, confident beings!

Never mind that a few more will be added to the many origin stories surrounding Chanel 5 over the next few years; they may be found in some old notebooks or discovered as lost, long-missing "secret" documents in a safe.
The triumph of fragrance has been ingeniously orchestrated for decades and is unstoppable.

I have once in the most extensive fashion and society magazine STLYE - not the today known, colorful Glamour-Blättchen, but the catalog thick, wonderfully 70s and 80s conform "fashion and society bible", on whose first page was first reported in detail, which nationally and internationally famous personality had just arrived in Munich and found himself in Kay's Bistro - read that when testing the vials lined up in front of her by Ernest Beaux, Gabrielle Chanel then pointed to the vial with the number 5 and chose it because she liked this creation best.
Another speculation in the article was that number 5 was the fifth attempt to tweak the previous creations with ever so slightly more refinement.
What do I know how many more versions of this we'll hear...

As a patient and long-time perfume miniatures collector, I of course have a few versions of Chanel 5: square, flat, upright, with "normal" 4 or 5 ml contents or even silly minimal 1 ml contents etc. etc.
Of the newer editions, one fell into my hands at the weekend in a larger, very flat outer box; on the front is the typical Chanel 5 flacon, divided into geometric, golden rectangles. Or are they gold bars, demonstrating the undisputed rank in the throne room of perfumes? Very elegant and tastefully presented, even if the rather meager content of the miniature - 1.5 ml - in contrast to the packaging once again makes you sigh.
Well; given the fact that online even used Chanel perfume packaging - bags, boxes, ribbons; sometimes new, sometimes bent, machmal with stains - are offered (and bought!), nothing surprises me anymore. The main thing is that it says "Chanel" on it!
As my mom always said: "S' gibt nix, was ned gibt"!

Speaking of my mum; luckily Chanel 5 was never hers. That saved me the smell, my father the trip to a perfumery, for whose articles he had no understanding anyway and of course also the grip in the wallet for a little something expensive even then.
When the annual visit to his half-brother Paul, 25 years older than my father, was pending, I bought in our small perfumery in front of the main street, the elegant scented soap from the Chanel 5 series as a souvenir for Paul's wife Erika and had it nicely packaged. Both gentlemen were then already in their 70s and had retired to Bad Füssing in Bavaria after Paul's active service at the American Embassy in Berlin and his retirement there; their favorite health resort.
When I handed the little package to Aunt Erika and she unwrapped it, she exclaimed in surprise and happiness, "But that's my favorite perfume!" and tears welled up in her eyes.
I still smile today at the equally surprised faces of my parents, who had more than doubted my "success" in choosing presents!
Later, when we were back home in Munich, my mom asked me how I knew that; Chanel 5 the favorite perfume of Erika? After all, contact with the two of them had only come about a few years earlier; for it was only in his retirement that Paul felt the need and curiosity to meet his younger half-brother Wolfgang, my father. My grandmother, Dad's mother, was Paul's father's second wife and 24 years younger than her husband; so almost the same age as his son from his first marriage.... But I digress; too much "family" doesn't interest anyone...
I had bought the beautiful soap (the perfume itself would have been much too expensive and exaggerated as a guest gift), which at that time also already cost 35 marks, with fullest conviction; I would have bet my head that exactly that will happen: the blissful exclamation of a lady born in 1910, for which such a gift, no matter whether it was "only" the scented soap, as in our souvenir, was like Christmas and Easter together.
The ultimate in fragrances and the fulfillment of all wishes!

My answer turned out young-teenie-like spontaneously honest, but not very charming: "All the old ladies have Chanel No. 5 as their favorite perfume!" My mum was gobsmacked, but smiled amusedly at my captivatingly convincing statement and took it upon herself to also give away Chanel 5 if in doubt; after all, apparently you really couldn't go wrong with it...
Years later, when I celebrated my 35th birthday and also invited my father's best friend, Günther, a valued and ingenious player in our Schafkopfrunde, who liked to play with us "young foxes" because we were absolute "card sharks" like him, to my party and was pleased that he, absolute party pooper that he was, accepted and also came, it was me who was blindsided! What did dear Günther bring and present it to me with a little bow? Chanel 5!
After a moment of surprised speechlessness, I thanked him and of course wanted to know how he came up with the idea of Chanel 5? Somewhat sheepishly, he smiled and said with conviction, "All women love Chanel 5!" Well, at least he hadn't said "All OLD women" like I had at the time! And whispered in my ear hours later, when my round the big table had already thinned out a bit: "I didn't know what else I should have brought; I really wanted to give you something nice!" I thanked her again nicely and gave the perfume to my mother-in-law a few days later; the Chanel 5 programmed-in effect followed on its heels, a happy little cry of jubilation!

After so many years of conscious abstinence from Chanel 5, little has changed in my conviction; the many Chanel 5 lovers who wear the fragrance because they like it and love it, I begrudge it from the heart! Only for me it's just nothing; too many old ladies and gentlemen and too much dried laurels with it in my circle...

Probably the incredible sales but also result because it is for so many unimaginative gift almost already natural to buy Chanel 5. Even today, or especially today, where in the fast-paced working life hardly anyone has time and patience to think about a suitable gift.

The fragrance is untouchable; its reputation cemented by decades of ingenious sales strategies; its star shining brighter than ever. And who would not like to have a star around him...?
Tabla
....if you listen you can hear it call..
....sie had saved herself and the boy at the last moment on the wooden raft by the river, which was to take them out of the Indian Territory. On the perilous rapids, this otherwise failed singer and barmaid in life, proved to be unfathomably fearless and plucky, and she stood her ground and held the oar as she steered the raft downstream through the perilous rapids....

Matt Calder, the boy's father thought little of her, even though she had saved his son. She was just the singer and barmaid Kay, so not a respectable lady like a man in the Midwest would marry. And now there she is again, as she always was, sitting on the counter in Saloon and she sings...

Marilyn Monroe, in the role of Kay, from Otto Preminges Western "River of no Return" sings with an incredible vibrato full of restrained eroticism in her voice, the song of the river of no return......... There is a river called the River of no Return. Sometimes it's peaceful and sometimes wild and free... Love is a Traveller on the River of no Return....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many years ago I was maid of honor at a dear friend's wedding and she asked me to choose some music for her civil ceremony. Among other songs, I had "River of no Return" played as they exchanged rings.
The registrar was so enraptured that she also specifically congratulated me on the music after the ceremony and said after all the other ironic pop warbling, she had rarely heard a more fitting song for a wedding ceremony.

N°5 remains, of course, immortally linked to Marilyn Monroe. At the latest with her bon mot that she supposedly wore nothing in bed but two drops ofN°5.Oh..... like Shocking in the prudish America of the sixties, where a decent American woman went to bed with a long-sleeved nightgown buttoned up to her neck.....

However, anyone who knows anything about film knows that this outstanding actress, was underrated throughout her life and reduced by many to the dimwitted sexy blonde. Anyway....

In principle, to Chanel N°5 everything has already been said up and down.
So I will limit myself only to the fact that I appreciate the perfume because it embodies the essence of everything that one has to imagine under a classic, floral powdery aldehyde perfume. To me, Chanel No.5 is the epitome of feminine beauty, fearlessness and therefore wearable in all moments of life. It is not the great perfume, for the great moments, but rather one what enchants me the everyday life.

Coco Chanel has designed the fragrance for women who want to stand in real life, as she once did. At a time when women were dependent and ranked in better circles as a trophy of their well-off husbands. Coco Chanel as a pioneer drew a modern image of women at that time, in which she threw the constricting corsets on the garbage and designed pleasantly wearable dresses, with which the women could also indulge in sporting activities and still look good. And no, these women certainly don't stay alone, they also team up with a man who is willing to share and navigate the rapids of life together.

Many young perfumas are often unsurprised at the first sniff, because it reminds them of mom, grandma or favorite great aunt. Which is often also the reason that they classify the fragrance as old-fashioned.... never mind. It will happen to them once similarly, when they themselves have matured and later the daughter or granddaughter sniff "Sweet Like Candy" by Ariana Grande and find the stale....

Well and how does Key's story end, just saying... the last shot the last frame of the movie is terrific. Kay's sequined red pumps land in the sand, on Mainstreet......

I have always imagined that Key later regretted it hard to have thrown away these great shoes at that time... but maybe you look at the strip yes times on occasion itself.

World’s Most Famous Perfume
You don’t have to be a perfume aficionado to know about Coco Chanel’s most famous perfume creation known as Chanel No 5.

But the surprising thing is that probably 99% of modern perfume consumers still associate No. 5 with “old grandma” smell without actually giving it a try on their skin.

In fact, after throwing away social misconceptions about men wearing female-targeted perfumes, I found that not only you can wear whatever you like, but I have also rediscovered this historical perfume in more than one “eye-opening” way.

Here are my 5 quick takes:
- One of the best candidates for a signature perfume
- A floral aldehyde with good longevity
- Created by Ernest Beaux in 1921
- Best used during warmer weather on business and leisure occasions
- A holy grail perfume that can get challenging

If you are interested in my perfume work and would like to check out the full review, you can find me on my scentgrail website and social media's under the Scent Grail name. Cheers.

Chanel N5
For my whole live I disliked this fragrance. I could not understand how anyone could weare it. As I turned 40 and accidentally sprayed eau de perfume I was suddenly hooked. I could smell beautiful clean white soap . Very classy, very clean .Suddenly aldehydes so disliked before became a selling point of this fragrance. Since then I can't live without it. I tried pure perfume version and eau de perfume. Perfume is less aldehydic ,more rosy/ neroli powder.My favourite is strongly eau de perfume. Its a great shame that after 2011 reformulation is extremely short lasting and more flat. It lacks something present in older versions . If you could get a well preserved vintage one you are in the game. Its not your crowd pleaser , you have to understand the idea behind it. The trick is to get a bottle kept in dark and right temperature as this particular scent get spoiled easly.I think that's why so many people hate it as they probably tried a spoiled one. Keep trying.

Can777
What she always wanted to say...
Who actually said I was old? I know I'm not the youngest anymore. But who cares? In my time I was young too, and I can always be new. Even for you! My way does not suit every woman or man, I am well aware of that. I am a bit brittle, but does that bother me? Certainly not! When I appear, the air is electrified. Aldehydes sparkle around me like a firework of electricity. A tingling like a slightly pretentious giggle. That's the way I am My skin may no longer be the most beautiful, but it's more than handsome and very well cared for. It still is! It is soft and waxy and white like jasmine in full bloom. I know you hate jasmine,...others not necessarily I have been told! And who actually said that lilies of the valley are cute? I love them and smell of them, but I am not cute. And anyway, who wants to be cute? Not me for sure! The little make-up I wear consists only of iris powder and a little lipstick. But even this has already made you moan. But I've never needed much to look better than some women. I have always been able to show off the beauty in me very skilfully. And look at that,... it worked! As for my passion, you have always underestimated me. I am not the sexual cure for you. And I never will be! My passion doesn't burn like a fire. Oh, no! My passion burns like an eternal candle in the darkness. My light is creamy soft like sandalwood and warming like resinous smoky amber. But the candle is now also extinguished for you. All that remains for you now, is fine smoke of delicate vetiver and the memory. You have never really understood me and probably never will. You have always lacked maturity. So much for that!

And before I forget...!
I didn't get this old for nothing. I've seen a lot of things since I was born. I've seen many come and go. But I've stayed, and I think I'll be around forever. Interesting,... isn't it? And believe me, I was and still am loved, Maybe not necessarily by you, but by so many other people. And over and over again. You've asked me so many times what I really am? I came to tell you now... complicated! Get used to it,... female beings are like that!
Chanel N°5

The most courageous action is still to think for yourself. Loud - Coco Chanel -
More seeming than his
Chanel No. 5, the fragrance means opulence and luxury to me. Unfortunately the old scent reminds me of my sister-in-law and I don't want to smell like her. Aunt was what they call Mrs. Neureich's economic miracle. From simple circumstances she had created it with all means in the occupation on top and did not shrink from using also what one calls today Mobbing. Everything about her was a strong trail too much. 180cm tall and about 120 kg heavy, she was what one calls a stately woman, tendency Valkyrie. She loved expensive furs, wore shoes, handbags and gloves made from the skins of animals that are now protected, expensive jewellery and luxury perfumes. Chanel No. 5 was one of them and it was only bought for its name. In this fragrance the lady bathed and her husband (yes she had) resulted there in his fate.

Now I was back in Venlo on Saturday and was supposed to bring a fragrance for a friend. The service very nice and then caught the eye with Chanel No. 5. Tested courageously and then I was given a sample just for myself.

Number Five and me, it's one of those things. The reworked fragrance is the same as before, but different. It's like the aunt's scent. The beginning with me aldehyde with slightly citric impact, but which did not last long. Then, after some time, the floral scents were added, but I couldn't assign any of them correctly. That didn't last very long with me either. In the finish I smelled amber, sandalwood and vetiver. Vanilla, no sign of it. I had expected a Wumser, but it was a tame and different variant than the old Chanel No. 5, but with such a funny, scratchy slightly rotten undertone, the durability with five hours very good.

You should be aware that if you choose this cult fragrance, you only have the feeling that it is the famous fragrance by name. The old scent was more opulent and richer. This is a lukewarm little thing with a great name.

I liked a lot of this fragrance, but not so good that I bought it. It doesn't have much in common with the aunt scent either. Since it's a strange scent with an old name anyway, I don't have to do this to myself.

Later I bought a fragrance similar to Chanel No. 5 of a Dutch brand. This scent doesn't have the notes in it that I don't like. Yesterday then the comparison and loser was clear to me Chanel
Unfulfilled Love
Since you're not with me anymore,
since then I know what winter is.
Ice cold that eats the soul,
Cloudy days, grey and dreary.

Endless nights and darkness,
winterlasting eternity...

The first lines of a lyric come to mind. How else can you describe a classic? Like a love you miss when you don't have it anymore?
And as much as I like to smell Chanel no 5, I can't wear it myself.
This fragrance is actually for woman of the world. Romantic, Thoughtful, Serious, Calm. My goodness, I love him! It's powdery, full, lasts for hours, you recognize it immediately. He nestles up to the wearer and makes her exclusive. Never cheap or mainstream, always perfect.
And that's why I just can't wear it.

Therefore the lines from Stoppok s song *One word*
In the end, my personal unfulfilled love
One bottle long carried
I'm not writing long, not much, here (but I've been reading enthusiastically for some time) and would describe myself as an untrained nose for smelling essences and therefore also as a perfume for laymen. But that's not the reason for being a perfume philistine. My personal preferences lie in the 70s, 80s and 90s, when perfumes, regardless of personal preferences and tastes, really still had a high recognition value. Even fragrances from lower price categories I often feel more beautiful and better in retrospect than some of today's "little waters" for which you should also impudently spend a lot of money.

Yes, I clearly belong to the "mourners" who are constantly mourning for fragrances that are no longer available for purchase. Yeah, and I'm always on ebay hunting for vintage minis. Mind you, Minis. Normal fillings, which are often offered at horrendous prices, are too high a risk for me, which my wallet would take very badly if the dream fragrance is tilted.

But, sorry to all lovers of Chanel No 5, this has never been there during my hunt.

"One bottle long," I used it. An autumn and winter in 2003/2004.
Actually, in retrospect, but at that time at least almost in my mid 40s, not really convinced either and perhaps even carrying a cloud behind me that was unbearable for others.
Was it my job in one of the most conservative industries that exist to date ?
Because that's what I associate with Chanel No. 5, "disguised" conformity. People who reveal nothing, absolutely nothing of their personality.

Yes, with the smell of Chanel No 5 I have the idea of an absolutely opaque, at least to the outside of any emotion, immune woman.
No joy, no sadness, no passion, no exhilaration, no sexiness, no playfulness, no casualness, no charm and no esprit.

Chanel No 5 expresses for me the absolute "Contenance". The absolute in the negative sense. For a woman who in the most positive case, perhaps at least on her deathbed, recognizes that she has made mistakes in her life and missed something. To be authentic and not only adapted and following conventions.

A currently still living woman would be Queen Elizabeth, who would occur to me to Chanel No 5.

One criterion meets Chanel No 5 in any case. A criterion which is also so important to me with my love for vintage fragrances. Chanel No 5 is unmistakable.

But for me in the memory meanwhile as horribly unmistakable.

Sorry for all fans of this classic fragrance.
But I personally can not understand the hype and also the longevity of this fragrance.

Whereby also I love smells, which are taken up surely into the hate list by others.

L'Eau de Monteil by Monteil is for me personally, for example, a scent from the aquatic direction, which many find quite terrible. And I personally love him.

Fragrance preferences can be so different. And I find that exciting and great.
Ahoy instead of Chanel No 5
Dear people here, I am very amused about all these serious reviews of Chanel No 5, probably the most famous perfume so far. I got to know it (as an adult) by smelling something and... i was looking for the kid to hold a glass of soda under my nose. I mean this sherbet powder that was dissolved in water and bubbled so well. One notices, I am already over 60. Anyway, the head, heart and base note of Chanel No 5 is just this for me: Effervescent. It doesn't smell bad, but it's not a perfume fragrance. And if everyone had a nose like mine, this perfume would have been a giant breeze and not the bomb for decades. That's what I wanted to tell you. Good thing tastes are different!
Serenissima
Mademoiselle Coco and the smell of love
"I don't do fashion, I am fashion."
In 1919 Tout Paris wears the designs of Gabrielle Chanel; better known as "Coco".
This woman was as uncompromising in matters of style and fashion as she was in love.
When my beloved "Boy" Capel dies in a car accident on the Côte d'Azur (he drove his fast sports car much too fast of course), she sinks into mourning.
She even has her bedroom painted black!
Their first (desperate) attempt to return to life is not very successful. Her liaison with the composer Igor Stravinsky is not what really helps; quite quickly their paths part.
Étienne Balsan, a friend of both, succeeds in keeping them alive for a longer period of time with the help of the legacy of her lover: "Boy" wanted to develop a spectacular fragrance together with Coco.

Not only does she want to commemorate her great love with a fragrance, but she also wants to create a perfume for the modern independent woman.
In the search for the right fragrance, Coco also met Dimitri Romanow, a Russian grand duke in exile. Through him, with whom she shares the feeling of being lost, she was inspired by the perfume of the legendary Czarina Catherine the Great.
But one day, almost unbelievably for her, she can open herself up to love again and her inspiration returns: Coco Chanel gets on the trail of this fragrance, which is still the most successful perfume in the world today - "Chanel N° 5".
(Source: "Mademoiselle Coco and the Scent of Love" novel by Michelle Marly , published as an advanced paperback, 2018.)

The charm of this perfume has accompanied me since my earliest youth; my knowledge in this fragrant world was not very great either The statement alone (whispered only behind a whispered hand) that Marilyn Monroe wore only a touch of "Chanel N° 5" at night probably put the final dot on the "I".
At that time she was an icon and the breath of the slightly wicked still surrounded her.
Only later did I ask myself: Did these two really fit together?
Had Coco Chanel thought of this type of woman as the bearer of her fragrance; would she have liked it?
And if Ms. Monroe, had she not, had she not been allowed to grow older, had she not one day discovered the allure of a seductive nightdress for herself? We won't know
Yves Saint Laurent is known to have dedicated his legendary fragrance "Opium" to the great lady Catherine Deneuve. This fascinating woman remained a loyal friend to both YSL and his love Pierre Bergé throughout their lives.
We don't know anything similar about Coco Chanel; we only know that she created an everlasting monument to her great love "Boy" Arthur Capel with this fragrance.

This fascinating fragrance composition greets you with the lively spraying of aldehydes; this is accompanied by the lovely charm of neroli, the freshness of lemons and the slightly musty bergamot scent.
It is a walk through a southern fruit-rich garden; thus an ideal start.
The heart note brings together everything that is important in the world of flowers: the elegant iris, the strongly earthy-scented lily of the valley (as we all know, this is where minds part!), the intoxicating aroma of the large-flowered white jasmine (often referred to as stinky in comments here) and the king of everything: the full-bloomed, fragrant rose!
Each one of these beauties gives its best here; a full-bodied, noble fragrance marries with the radiant freshness of the Entrées.
Amber, vetiver and sandalwood in a subtle blend, together with the rich, erotic warmth of vanilla, provide a base that seems to be exactly what this fragrance needs to be a complete success.

Sillage and durability are exceptional; even after hours, an abandoned room testifies to the presence of the wearer of this fragrance.
However, more than two ladies surrounding themselves with "Chanel N° 5" are sufficient for a spacious ballroom. Also here the dose makes the scent.

As a younger woman and also later testing this fragrance on me again and again, I used to regularly declare: "One day I will be old enough to wear "Chanel N° 5". When I then put on the pearl necklace with a classic twinset and carefully coiffed grey hair, the right time will have come."
In the meantime I am an older woman; the hair will never become noble grey - a mixture of street dog blonde with underpants grey and a touch of white knows how to prevent this.
I wore classic twinsets in the office (because the door to the long corridor had to be open all the time; the reception was not occupied); pearls actually fit me quite well as well.
Only with "Chanel N° 5" it won't work: we both don't harmonize with each other at all.

I like this scent, but I feel disguised with it So unfortunately I cannot pay tribute to this great love celebrated with this fragrance!

All the more reason why I will enjoy reading the above mentioned novel and follow Coco Chanel's aberrations through love and life with interest.

ZoikgreeceZoikgreece 2 years ago
The icon fragrance, just let some drops on your skin, put on your small black dress and conquer the world.
AttlasAttlas 3 years ago
This is one of thouse you don't need to spray. Just touch the bottle

by Zora
by Zora
by Fraenky
by Fraenky
Vintage Chanel No. 5 for Fresh21
DANKEEE für das Fotolob :-)
by Rivegauche
by Kajsa5
Hommage an Karl Lagerfeld - Merci beaucoup et au revoir |       Der Eiffelturm ist echt, ca. 10m hoch und besteht aus Holz
by Morpheus1
by Kirthi
by Kylesa
by Kylesa
by Inger
...bin nicht C5...war es nie...werd es nie...
by Tweed
by MadameLegras
Ich hasse es
by PontNeuf
by PontNeuf
Aldehyde wie hier kann ich nicht erTRAGEN.Verdammter Klassiker.Ich mag dich nicht.
by Digindirt
by Vawallpa
by Iris983
by Iris983

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel