N°5 1921Parfum

N°5 (Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1921. The scent is floral-powdery. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Ernest Beaux

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Neroli, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Grasse jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, May rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 18.10.2020.

Chanel N5
For my whole live I disliked this fragrance. I could not understand how anyone could weare it. As I turned 40 and accidentally sprayed eau de perfume I was suddenly hooked. I could smell beautiful clean white soap . Very classy, very clean .Suddenly aldehydes so disliked before became a selling point of this fragrance. Since then I can't live without it. I tried pure perfume version and eau de perfume. Perfume is less aldehydic ,more rosy/ neroli powder.My favourite is strongly eau de perfume. Its a great shame that after 2011 reformulation is extremely short lasting and more flat. It lacks something present in older versions . If you could get a well preserved vintage one you are in the game. Its not your crowd pleaser , you have to understand the idea behind it. The trick is to get a bottle kept in dark and right temperature as this particular scent get spoiled easly.I think that's why so many people hate it as they probably tried a spoiled one. Keep trying.

Can777
What she always wanted to say...
Who actually said I was old? I know I'm not the youngest anymore. But who cares? In my time I was young too, and I can always be new. Even for you! My way does not suit every woman or man, I am well aware of that. I am a bit brittle, but does that bother me? Certainly not! When I appear, the air is electrified. Aldehydes sparkle around me like a firework of electricity. A tingling like a slightly pretentious giggle. That's the way I am My skin may no longer be the most beautiful, but it's more than handsome and very well cared for. It still is! It is soft and waxy and white like jasmine in full bloom. I know you hate jasmine,...others not necessarily I have been told! And who actually said that lilies of the valley are cute? I love them and smell of them, but I am not cute. And anyway, who wants to be cute? Not me for sure! The little make-up I wear consists only of iris powder and a little lipstick. But even this has already made you moan. But I've never needed much to look better than some women. I have always been able to show off the beauty in me very skilfully. And look at that,... it worked! As for my passion, you have always underestimated me. I am not the sexual cure for you. And I never will be! My passion doesn't burn like a fire. Oh, no! My passion burns like an eternal candle in the darkness. My light is creamy soft like sandalwood and warming like resinous smoky amber. But the candle is now also extinguished for you. All that remains for you now, is fine smoke of delicate vetiver and the memory. You have never really understood me and probably never will. You have always lacked maturity. So much for that!

And before I forget...!
I didn't get this old for nothing. I've seen a lot of things since I was born. I've seen many come and go. But I've stayed, and I think I'll be around forever. Interesting,... isn't it? And believe me, I was and still am loved, Maybe not necessarily by you, but by so many other people. And over and over again. You've asked me so many times what I really am? I came to tell you now... complicated! Get used to it,... female beings are like that!
Chanel N°5

The most courageous action is still to think for yourself. Loud - Coco Chanel -
More seeming than his
Chanel No. 5, the fragrance means opulence and luxury to me. Unfortunately the old scent reminds me of my sister-in-law and I don't want to smell like her. Aunt was what they call Mrs. Neureich's economic miracle. From simple circumstances she had created it with all means in the occupation on top and did not shrink from using also what one calls today Mobbing. Everything about her was a strong trail too much. 180cm tall and about 120 kg heavy, she was what one calls a stately woman, tendency Valkyrie. She loved expensive furs, wore shoes, handbags and gloves made from the skins of animals that are now protected, expensive jewellery and luxury perfumes. Chanel No. 5 was one of them and it was only bought for its name. In this fragrance the lady bathed and her husband (yes she had) resulted there in his fate.

Now I was back in Venlo on Saturday and was supposed to bring a fragrance for a friend. The service very nice and then caught the eye with Chanel No. 5. Tested courageously and then I was given a sample just for myself.

Number Five and me, it's one of those things. The reworked fragrance is the same as before, but different. It's like the aunt's scent. The beginning with me aldehyde with slightly citric impact, but which did not last long. Then, after some time, the floral scents were added, but I couldn't assign any of them correctly. That didn't last very long with me either. In the finish I smelled amber, sandalwood and vetiver. Vanilla, no sign of it. I had expected a Wumser, but it was a tame and different variant than the old Chanel No. 5, but with such a funny, scratchy slightly rotten undertone, the durability with five hours very good.

You should be aware that if you choose this cult fragrance, you only have the feeling that it is the famous fragrance by name. The old scent was more opulent and richer. This is a lukewarm little thing with a great name.

I liked a lot of this fragrance, but not so good that I bought it. It doesn't have much in common with the aunt scent either. Since it's a strange scent with an old name anyway, I don't have to do this to myself.

Later I bought a fragrance similar to Chanel No. 5 of a Dutch brand. This scent doesn't have the notes in it that I don't like. Yesterday then the comparison and loser was clear to me Chanel
Unfulfilled Love
Since you're not with me anymore,
since then I know what winter is.
Ice cold that eats the soul,
Cloudy days, grey and dreary.

Endless nights and darkness,
winterlasting eternity...

The first lines of a lyric come to mind. How else can you describe a classic? Like a love you miss when you don't have it anymore?
And as much as I like to smell Chanel no 5, I can't wear it myself.
This fragrance is actually for woman of the world. Romantic, Thoughtful, Serious, Calm. My goodness, I love him! It's powdery, full, lasts for hours, you recognize it immediately. He nestles up to the wearer and makes her exclusive. Never cheap or mainstream, always perfect.
And that's why I just can't wear it.

Therefore the lines from Stoppok s song *One word*
In the end, my personal unfulfilled love
One bottle long carried
I'm not writing long, not much, here (but I've been reading enthusiastically for some time) and would describe myself as an untrained nose for smelling essences and therefore also as a perfume for laymen. But that's not the reason for being a perfume philistine. My personal preferences lie in the 70s, 80s and 90s, when perfumes, regardless of personal preferences and tastes, really still had a high recognition value. Even fragrances from lower price categories I often feel more beautiful and better in retrospect than some of today's "little waters" for which you should also impudently spend a lot of money.

Yes, I clearly belong to the "mourners" who are constantly mourning for fragrances that are no longer available for purchase. Yeah, and I'm always on ebay hunting for vintage minis. Mind you, Minis. Normal fillings, which are often offered at horrendous prices, are too high a risk for me, which my wallet would take very badly if the dream fragrance is tilted.

But, sorry to all lovers of Chanel No 5, this has never been there during my hunt.

"One bottle long," I used it. An autumn and winter in 2003/2004.
Actually, in retrospect, but at that time at least almost in my mid 40s, not really convinced either and perhaps even carrying a cloud behind me that was unbearable for others.
Was it my job in one of the most conservative industries that exist to date ?
Because that's what I associate with Chanel No. 5, "disguised" conformity. People who reveal nothing, absolutely nothing of their personality.

Yes, with the smell of Chanel No 5 I have the idea of an absolutely opaque, at least to the outside of any emotion, immune woman.
No joy, no sadness, no passion, no exhilaration, no sexiness, no playfulness, no casualness, no charm and no esprit.

Chanel No 5 expresses for me the absolute "Contenance". The absolute in the negative sense. For a woman who in the most positive case, perhaps at least on her deathbed, recognizes that she has made mistakes in her life and missed something. To be authentic and not only adapted and following conventions.

A currently still living woman would be Queen Elizabeth, who would occur to me to Chanel No 5.

One criterion meets Chanel No 5 in any case. A criterion which is also so important to me with my love for vintage fragrances. Chanel No 5 is unmistakable.

But for me in the memory meanwhile as horribly unmistakable.

Sorry for all fans of this classic fragrance.
But I personally can not understand the hype and also the longevity of this fragrance.

Whereby also I love smells, which are taken up surely into the hate list by others.

L'Eau de Monteil by Monteil is for me personally, for example, a scent from the aquatic direction, which many find quite terrible. And I personally love him.

Fragrance preferences can be so different. And I find that exciting and great.
Ahoy instead of Chanel No 5
Dear people here, I am very amused about all these serious reviews of Chanel No 5, probably the most famous perfume so far. I got to know it (as an adult) by smelling something and... i was looking for the kid to hold a glass of soda under my nose. I mean this sherbet powder that was dissolved in water and bubbled so well. One notices, I am already over 60. Anyway, the head, heart and base note of Chanel No 5 is just this for me: Effervescent. It doesn't smell bad, but it's not a perfume fragrance. And if everyone had a nose like mine, this perfume would have been a giant breeze and not the bomb for decades. That's what I wanted to tell you. Good thing tastes are different!
Serenissima
Mademoiselle Coco and the smell of love
"I don't do fashion, I am fashion."
In 1919 Tout Paris wears the designs of Gabrielle Chanel; better known as "Coco".
This woman was as uncompromising in matters of style and fashion as she was in love.
When my beloved "Boy" Capel dies in a car accident on the Côte d'Azur (he drove his fast sports car much too fast of course), she sinks into mourning.
She even has her bedroom painted black!
Their first (desperate) attempt to return to life is not very successful. Her liaison with the composer Igor Stravinsky is not what really helps; quite quickly their paths part.
Étienne Balsan, a friend of both, succeeds in keeping them alive for a longer period of time with the help of the legacy of her lover: "Boy" wanted to develop a spectacular fragrance together with Coco.

Not only does she want to commemorate her great love with a fragrance, but she also wants to create a perfume for the modern independent woman.
In the search for the right fragrance, Coco also met Dimitri Romanow, a Russian grand duke in exile. Through him, with whom she shares the feeling of being lost, she was inspired by the perfume of the legendary Czarina Catherine the Great.
But one day, almost unbelievably for her, she can open herself up to love again and her inspiration returns: Coco Chanel gets on the trail of this fragrance, which is still the most successful perfume in the world today - "Chanel N° 5".
(Source: "Mademoiselle Coco and the Scent of Love" novel by Michelle Marly , published as an advanced paperback, 2018.)

The charm of this perfume has accompanied me since my earliest youth; my knowledge in this fragrant world was not very great either The statement alone (whispered only behind a whispered hand) that Marilyn Monroe wore only a touch of "Chanel N° 5" at night probably put the final dot on the "I".
At that time she was an icon and the breath of the slightly wicked still surrounded her.
Only later did I ask myself: Did these two really fit together?
Had Coco Chanel thought of this type of woman as the bearer of her fragrance; would she have liked it?
And if Ms. Monroe, had she not, had she not been allowed to grow older, had she not one day discovered the allure of a seductive nightdress for herself? We won't know
Yves Saint Laurent is known to have dedicated his legendary fragrance "Opium" to the great lady Catherine Deneuve. This fascinating woman remained a loyal friend to both YSL and his love Pierre Bergé throughout their lives.
We don't know anything similar about Coco Chanel; we only know that she created an everlasting monument to her great love "Boy" Arthur Capel with this fragrance.

This fascinating fragrance composition greets you with the lively spraying of aldehydes; this is accompanied by the lovely charm of neroli, the freshness of lemons and the slightly musty bergamot scent.
It is a walk through a southern fruit-rich garden; thus an ideal start.
The heart note brings together everything that is important in the world of flowers: the elegant iris, the strongly earthy-scented lily of the valley (as we all know, this is where minds part!), the intoxicating aroma of the large-flowered white jasmine (often referred to as stinky in comments here) and the king of everything: the full-bloomed, fragrant rose!
Each one of these beauties gives its best here; a full-bodied, noble fragrance marries with the radiant freshness of the Entrées.
Amber, vetiver and sandalwood in a subtle blend, together with the rich, erotic warmth of vanilla, provide a base that seems to be exactly what this fragrance needs to be a complete success.

Sillage and durability are exceptional; even after hours, an abandoned room testifies to the presence of the wearer of this fragrance.
However, more than two ladies surrounding themselves with "Chanel N° 5" are sufficient for a spacious ballroom. Also here the dose makes the scent.

As a younger woman and also later testing this fragrance on me again and again, I used to regularly declare: "One day I will be old enough to wear "Chanel N° 5". When I then put on the pearl necklace with a classic twinset and carefully coiffed grey hair, the right time will have come."
In the meantime I am an older woman; the hair will never become noble grey - a mixture of street dog blonde with underpants grey and a touch of white knows how to prevent this.
I wore classic twinsets in the office (because the door to the long corridor had to be open all the time; the reception was not occupied); pearls actually fit me quite well as well.
Only with "Chanel N° 5" it won't work: we both don't harmonize with each other at all.

I like this scent, but I feel disguised with it So unfortunately I cannot pay tribute to this great love celebrated with this fragrance!

All the more reason why I will enjoy reading the above mentioned novel and follow Coco Chanel's aberrations through love and life with interest.

An Icon Not for Me
Gifted the Eau de Parfum, and not having tried Chanel No. 5 for years, I only slowly remembered why I don't own a bottle. It was like being in the early stages of a second labor and only gradually remembering what labor pain feels like, too late to escape.

At first this rich, powerful floral lay grandly on my skin like the diva it is. Then something went wrong. I felt a little dizzy, then headachy then nauseous as too late I remembered. Oh, crap! It's the aldehydes. Soon I was so sick I had to get up and vigorously scrub the scent off. I didn't feel well again for a while. Until the next day, really. Next time I won't forget. I can't wear Chanel No. 5.

Mind you, I have nothing against Chanel or Aldehydes. Happily I wear their other aldehydic perfume, No. 22. Another aldehydic, Paco Rabanne's Eau de Metal, was my signature scent for a good while. For some reason, Chanel No. 5's bouquet of alphatic or "fatty" aldehydes--C10, C11 and C12 per Fragrantica--make me desperately ill. Were it not for them, I'd be remarking on this iconic perfume's seductively citrus and floral glory. As it is I can only report failure, so I will.

I CAN'T WEAR Chanel No. 5.

(Not to self: DON'T forget again.)

THE classic perfume !
Chanel No.5 was the first perfume launched by French couturier Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel, and has been going strong since 1921. It was this fragrance that saw the introduction of aldehydes into perfumes, by the perfumer Ernest Beaux -- a revolutionary move.

This wondrous fragrance is surely eternal. It was my elder sister's keynote which I remember so well from the days of my youth! Yes, I am biased -- and happily so!

What can one add to what has already been said? This perfume has everything... beautiful ethereal opening tones, marvellous floral follow-through, and a charming, elegant seductively long finish that lingers and lingers.

The box is starkly lovely, the bottle a simple design that gives no indication of the little miracle inside; clever!

This is a 100% perfume in all respects; for many, it is THE perfume: perfection.

Not for me
I appreciate that many people will disagree with me but this is just my personal opinion. Had this for a while now so the other week decided to take the plunge and try it, was put off by thinking it was too classy for me. Really did not settle well on my skin, maybe too oily. First whiff was lemony which I hate so didn't help,then turned to a sort of sour flowery smell. Will smell beautiful on the right person though.
*edit the version I have is the modern one. Will have to get hold of the original one to test

ZoikgreeceZoikgreece 11 months ago
The icon fragrance, just let some drops on your skin, put on your small black dress and conquer the world.
AttlasAttlas 3 years ago
This is one of thouse you don't need to spray. Just touch the bottle

by Zora
by Zora
by Fraenky
by Fraenky
by HsChen
Schwester, rutsch mir den Buckel runter! feat. N° 5 (Eau de Parfum) - Fresh21/Foto-Challenge
by Hosianna
Vintage Chanel No. 5 for Fresh21
Hommage an Karl Lagerfeld - Merci beaucoup et au revoir |       Der Eiffelturm ist echt, ca. 10m hoch und besteht aus Holz
by Morpheus1
by Kirthi
by Kylesa
by Kylesa
by Inger
...bin nicht C5...war es nie...werd es nie...
by Tweed
by Vawallpa
by Iris983
by Iris983

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Beige (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel