N°5 1921 Parfum

N°5 (Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1921. The scent is floral-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Ernest Beaux

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydesAldehydes
BergamotBergamot
NeroliNeroli
LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesIrisIris
Grasse jasmineGrasse jasmine
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
May roseMay rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.10.2021.

Give me the perfume..
Schützenfest at the end of the 80s. Visiting this traditional event with the mother-in-law in spe in uniform. The spouse in spe also in the green skirt. And it felt like everyone else present was there too, except me. Me totally ignorant of what to expect there, me young inexperienced bouncer.
The event takes its course, the tension rises by the minute - the room temperature as well. My mother-in-law-to-be has sweat on her forehead. She looks at me and says: "Give me just dat Parföng!". Irritated, I hand her the little bottle of N°5 that I've been saving for for months - and fate takes its course. Splashed into both hands and well distributed in the face and décolleté.
My face from that time I would have liked to see.
I got a new bottle as a gift from my spouse in spe. I still own that one - unopened.
How the fragrance smells? Indescribable, I am at a loss for words!
Often I think about whether I should try it again. But some things are perhaps better left alone.
Three times you may guess, whether the spouse of God in spe of that time has become my husband...

Sensational.
This fragrance is truly a timeless masterpiece. I feel powerful, wise and snobby with 2 spritz of this. I adore it. How things change. I used to turn my nose up at No.5, but after acquiring a bottle recently (I had decided I was of the age where this fragrance make sense to me) I cannot get enough. It's perfect, it smells like glass. There is a clean transparency throughout this fragrance but most apparent in the opening. This is something that did not appeal to my young nose, bearing a similarity (to me ) to White Diamonds by Arden several years ago. As my collection grew and I became more interested in the note profile and in aldehydes in general. This is a classic example of aldehydic floral. It is perfect. For bed, for business, for brunch, to meet the inlaws, for anything. To add your own take on it, layer it with another fragrance. The sillage is just right, not too large but enough for those immediately around you to detect it.

I just can't get enough of this. it is perfection.
Tabla
....if you listen you can hear it call..
....sie had saved herself and the boy at the last moment on the wooden raft by the river, which was to take them out of the Indian Territory. On the perilous rapids, this otherwise failed singer and barmaid in life, proved to be unfathomably fearless and plucky, and she stood her ground and held the oar as she steered the raft downstream through the perilous rapids....

Matt Calder, the boy's father thought little of her, even though she had saved his son. She was just the singer and barmaid Kay, so not a respectable lady like a man in the Midwest would marry. And now there she is again, as she always was, sitting on the counter in Saloon and she sings...

Marilyn Monroe, in the role of Kay, from Otto Preminges Western "River of no Return" sings with an incredible vibrato full of restrained eroticism in her voice, the song of the river of no return......... There is a river called the River of no Return. Sometimes it's peaceful and sometimes wild and free... Love is a Traveller on the River of no Return....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many years ago I was maid of honor at a dear friend's wedding and she asked me to choose some music for her civil ceremony. Among other songs, I had "River of no Return" played as they exchanged rings.
The registrar was so enraptured that she also specifically congratulated me on the music after the ceremony and said after all the other ironic pop warbling, she had rarely heard a more fitting song for a wedding ceremony.

N°5 remains, of course, immortally linked to Marilyn Monroe. At the latest with her bon mot that she supposedly wore nothing in bed but two drops ofN°5.Oh..... like Shocking in the prudish America of the sixties, where a decent American woman went to bed with a long-sleeved nightgown buttoned up to her neck.....

However, anyone who knows anything about film knows that this outstanding actress, was underrated throughout her life and reduced by many to the dimwitted sexy blonde. Anyway....

In principle, to Chanel N°5 everything has already been said up and down.
So I will limit myself only to the fact that I appreciate the perfume because it embodies the essence of everything that one has to imagine under a classic, floral powdery aldehyde perfume. To me, Chanel No.5 is the epitome of feminine beauty, fearlessness and therefore wearable in all moments of life. It is not the great perfume, for the great moments, but rather one what enchants me the everyday life.

Coco Chanel has designed the fragrance for women who want to stand in real life, as she once did. At a time when women were dependent and ranked in better circles as a trophy of their well-off husbands. Coco Chanel as a pioneer drew a modern image of women at that time, in which she threw the constricting corsets on the garbage and designed pleasantly wearable dresses, with which the women could also indulge in sporting activities and still look good. And no, these women certainly don't stay alone, they also team up with a man who is willing to share and navigate the rapids of life together.

Many young perfumas are often unsurprised at the first sniff, because it reminds them of mom, grandma or favorite great aunt. Which is often also the reason that they classify the fragrance as old-fashioned.... never mind. It will happen to them once similarly, when they themselves have matured and later the daughter or granddaughter sniff "Sweet Like Candy" by Ariana Grande and find the stale....

Well and how does Key's story end, just saying... the last shot the last frame of the movie is terrific. Kay's sequined red pumps land in the sand, on Mainstreet......

I have always imagined that Key later regretted it hard to have thrown away these great shoes at that time... but maybe you look at the strip yes times on occasion itself.

World’s Most Famous Perfume
You don’t have to be a perfume aficionado to know about Coco Chanel’s most famous perfume creation known as Chanel No 5.

But the surprising thing is that probably 99% of modern perfume consumers still associate No. 5 with “old grandma” smell without actually giving it a try on their skin.

In fact, after throwing away social misconceptions about men wearing female-targeted perfumes, I found that not only you can wear whatever you like, but I have also rediscovered this historical perfume in more than one “eye-opening” way.

Here are my 5 quick takes:
- One of the best candidates for a signature perfume
- A floral aldehyde with good longevity
- Created by Ernest Beaux in 1921
- Best used during warmer weather on business and leisure occasions
- A holy grail perfume that can get challenging

If you are interested in my perfume work and would like to check out the full review, you can find me on my scentgrail website and social media's under the Scent Grail name. Cheers.

Chanel N5
For my whole live I disliked this fragrance. I could not understand how anyone could weare it. As I turned 40 and accidentally sprayed eau de perfume I was suddenly hooked. I could smell beautiful clean white soap . Very classy, very clean .Suddenly aldehydes so disliked before became a selling point of this fragrance. Since then I can't live without it. I tried pure perfume version and eau de perfume. Perfume is less aldehydic ,more rosy/ neroli powder.My favourite is strongly eau de perfume. Its a great shame that after 2011 reformulation is extremely short lasting and more flat. It lacks something present in older versions . If you could get a well preserved vintage one you are in the game. Its not your crowd pleaser , you have to understand the idea behind it. The trick is to get a bottle kept in dark and right temperature as this particular scent get spoiled easly.I think that's why so many people hate it as they probably tried a spoiled one. Keep trying.

Can777
What she always wanted to say...
Who actually said I was old? I know I'm not the youngest anymore. But who cares? In my time I was young too, and I can always be new. Even for you! My way does not suit every woman or man, I am well aware of that. I am a bit brittle, but does that bother me? Certainly not! When I appear, the air is electrified. Aldehydes sparkle around me like a firework of electricity. A tingling like a slightly pretentious giggle. That's the way I am My skin may no longer be the most beautiful, but it's more than handsome and very well cared for. It still is! It is soft and waxy and white like jasmine in full bloom. I know you hate jasmine,...others not necessarily I have been told! And who actually said that lilies of the valley are cute? I love them and smell of them, but I am not cute. And anyway, who wants to be cute? Not me for sure! The little make-up I wear consists only of iris powder and a little lipstick. But even this has already made you moan. But I've never needed much to look better than some women. I have always been able to show off the beauty in me very skilfully. And look at that,... it worked! As for my passion, you have always underestimated me. I am not the sexual cure for you. And I never will be! My passion doesn't burn like a fire. Oh, no! My passion burns like an eternal candle in the darkness. My light is creamy soft like sandalwood and warming like resinous smoky amber. But the candle is now also extinguished for you. All that remains for you now, is fine smoke of delicate vetiver and the memory. You have never really understood me and probably never will. You have always lacked maturity. So much for that!

And before I forget...!
I didn't get this old for nothing. I've seen a lot of things since I was born. I've seen many come and go. But I've stayed, and I think I'll be around forever. Interesting,... isn't it? And believe me, I was and still am loved, Maybe not necessarily by you, but by so many other people. And over and over again. You've asked me so many times what I really am? I came to tell you now... complicated! Get used to it,... female beings are like that!
Chanel N°5

The most courageous action is still to think for yourself. Loud - Coco Chanel -
More seeming than his
Chanel No. 5, the fragrance means opulence and luxury to me. Unfortunately the old scent reminds me of my sister-in-law and I don't want to smell like her. Aunt was what they call Mrs. Neureich's economic miracle. From simple circumstances she had created it with all means in the occupation on top and did not shrink from using also what one calls today Mobbing. Everything about her was a strong trail too much. 180cm tall and about 120 kg heavy, she was what one calls a stately woman, tendency Valkyrie. She loved expensive furs, wore shoes, handbags and gloves made from the skins of animals that are now protected, expensive jewellery and luxury perfumes. Chanel No. 5 was one of them and it was only bought for its name. In this fragrance the lady bathed and her husband (yes she had) resulted there in his fate.

Now I was back in Venlo on Saturday and was supposed to bring a fragrance for a friend. The service very nice and then caught the eye with Chanel No. 5. Tested courageously and then I was given a sample just for myself.

Number Five and me, it's one of those things. The reworked fragrance is the same as before, but different. It's like the aunt's scent. The beginning with me aldehyde with slightly citric impact, but which did not last long. Then, after some time, the floral scents were added, but I couldn't assign any of them correctly. That didn't last very long with me either. In the finish I smelled amber, sandalwood and vetiver. Vanilla, no sign of it. I had expected a Wumser, but it was a tame and different variant than the old Chanel No. 5, but with such a funny, scratchy slightly rotten undertone, the durability with five hours very good.

You should be aware that if you choose this cult fragrance, you only have the feeling that it is the famous fragrance by name. The old scent was more opulent and richer. This is a lukewarm little thing with a great name.

I liked a lot of this fragrance, but not so good that I bought it. It doesn't have much in common with the aunt scent either. Since it's a strange scent with an old name anyway, I don't have to do this to myself.

Later I bought a fragrance similar to Chanel No. 5 of a Dutch brand. This scent doesn't have the notes in it that I don't like. Yesterday then the comparison and loser was clear to me Chanel
Unfulfilled Love
Since you're not with me anymore,
since then I know what winter is.
Ice cold that eats the soul,
Cloudy days, grey and dreary.

Endless nights and darkness,
winterlasting eternity...

The first lines of a lyric come to mind. How else can you describe a classic? Like a love you miss when you don't have it anymore?
And as much as I like to smell Chanel no 5, I can't wear it myself.
This fragrance is actually for woman of the world. Romantic, Thoughtful, Serious, Calm. My goodness, I love him! It's powdery, full, lasts for hours, you recognize it immediately. He nestles up to the wearer and makes her exclusive. Never cheap or mainstream, always perfect.
And that's why I just can't wear it.

Therefore the lines from Stoppok s song *One word*
In the end, my personal unfulfilled love
One bottle long carried
I'm not writing long, not much, here (but I've been reading enthusiastically for some time) and would describe myself as an untrained nose for smelling essences and therefore also as a perfume for laymen. But that's not the reason for being a perfume philistine. My personal preferences lie in the 70s, 80s and 90s, when perfumes, regardless of personal preferences and tastes, really still had a high recognition value. Even fragrances from lower price categories I often feel more beautiful and better in retrospect than some of today's "little waters" for which you should also impudently spend a lot of money.

Yes, I clearly belong to the "mourners" who are constantly mourning for fragrances that are no longer available for purchase. Yeah, and I'm always on ebay hunting for vintage minis. Mind you, Minis. Normal fillings, which are often offered at horrendous prices, are too high a risk for me, which my wallet would take very badly if the dream fragrance is tilted.

But, sorry to all lovers of Chanel No 5, this has never been there during my hunt.

"One bottle long," I used it. An autumn and winter in 2003/2004.
Actually, in retrospect, but at that time at least almost in my mid 40s, not really convinced either and perhaps even carrying a cloud behind me that was unbearable for others.
Was it my job in one of the most conservative industries that exist to date ?
Because that's what I associate with Chanel No. 5, "disguised" conformity. People who reveal nothing, absolutely nothing of their personality.

Yes, with the smell of Chanel No 5 I have the idea of an absolutely opaque, at least to the outside of any emotion, immune woman.
No joy, no sadness, no passion, no exhilaration, no sexiness, no playfulness, no casualness, no charm and no esprit.

Chanel No 5 expresses for me the absolute "Contenance". The absolute in the negative sense. For a woman who in the most positive case, perhaps at least on her deathbed, recognizes that she has made mistakes in her life and missed something. To be authentic and not only adapted and following conventions.

A currently still living woman would be Queen Elizabeth, who would occur to me to Chanel No 5.

One criterion meets Chanel No 5 in any case. A criterion which is also so important to me with my love for vintage fragrances. Chanel No 5 is unmistakable.

But for me in the memory meanwhile as horribly unmistakable.

Sorry for all fans of this classic fragrance.
But I personally can not understand the hype and also the longevity of this fragrance.

Whereby also I love smells, which are taken up surely into the hate list by others.

L'Eau de Monteil by Monteil is for me personally, for example, a scent from the aquatic direction, which many find quite terrible. And I personally love him.

Fragrance preferences can be so different. And I find that exciting and great.
Ahoy instead of Chanel No 5
Dear people here, I am very amused about all these serious reviews of Chanel No 5, probably the most famous perfume so far. I got to know it (as an adult) by smelling something and... i was looking for the kid to hold a glass of soda under my nose. I mean this sherbet powder that was dissolved in water and bubbled so well. One notices, I am already over 60. Anyway, the head, heart and base note of Chanel No 5 is just this for me: Effervescent. It doesn't smell bad, but it's not a perfume fragrance. And if everyone had a nose like mine, this perfume would have been a giant breeze and not the bomb for decades. That's what I wanted to tell you. Good thing tastes are different!

ZoikgreeceZoikgreece 2 years ago
The icon fragrance, just let some drops on your skin, put on your small black dress and conquer the world.
AttlasAttlas 4 years ago
This is one of thouse you don't need to spray. Just touch the bottle

by Zora
by Zora
by Fraenky
by Fraenky
by Entenradio
DANKEEE für das Fotolob :-)
by Rivegauche
Vintage Chanel No. 5 for Fresh21
by Kajsa5
Hommage an Karl Lagerfeld - Merci beaucoup et au revoir |       Der Eiffelturm ist echt, ca. 10m hoch und besteht aus Holz
by Morpheus1
by Kirthi
by Kylesa
by Kylesa
by Inger
...bin nicht C5...war es nie...werd es nie...
Fein u. rafiniert
by MadameLegras
Ich hasse es
by PontNeuf
by PontNeuf
Aldehyde wie hier kann ich nicht erTRAGEN.Verdammter Klassiker.Ich mag dich nicht.
by Digindirt
by Vawallpa
by Iris983
by Iris983

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel