N°5 Eau Première (2008)

N°5 Eau Première is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 2008. The scent is floral-powdery. It is still in production.

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Neroli, Ylang-ylang
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, May rose
Base Notes Base NotesBourbon vanilla, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 20.06.2019

10.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

JetonToni
The feminine aura of the N°5 Klassiker´s , with less aldehyde!
N°5 Eau Premiére was launched in 2008 as an everyday fragrance for the day with the elegance of N°5, with significantly fewer aldehydes, but with intense floral notes and more vetiver and less musk or vanilla.

Eau Premiére already begins to "tingling" in the top note. A wonderful note of the well-known aldehyde chord as in the classic, but here much more defused and therefore also interesting for younger people. One wanted to transfer the zeitgeist of Klassiker´s to other fragrances.
And with Eau Premiére, we have achieved this excellently. After the aldehyde start, a soapy floral note comes to the fore, but over time it becomes more floral and puts the soap in the background.

As if Eau Premiére had a life of its own. Different moods and changes also accomplishes this smell like all Chanel´s. Later comes a woody fiery note of Vetiver´s coupled with fluffy sensual musk (here I guess white synthetic) and a hint of vanilla.

Who does not have so much money for the fragrance or wants to spend and can, should buy the body lotion to the classic N°5, because it has a clear very similar aura of the Eau Premiére´s.

I feel that Eau Premiére is more concentrated than L´Eau. Accordingly one can apply the Eau Premiére also in the evening, since it smells more sinnlicher and fuller than the L´Eau.
Für´s Office are however both N°5 Flanker suitable, since they do not impose themselves, if one does not overdose.
Both seem noble and at the same time serious and sensual.

With a shelf life of up to 8 hours and a good Sillage I am more than surprised that this "not screaming loud" fragrance (but rather subtle and flattering) lasts so long.

I take all three also to relax, especially the classic N°5 has a very calming and earthy effect on my psyche.

The high (2008) 75 ml bottle* has over time been adapted to the square bottle of the classic N°5 Eau de Parfum´s.

I'm very happy that Chanel reinvents herself with her fragrances every time and doesn't chase after some latest scream or trend. The scents look noble, each in its own way.
Not candy sweet or on a marketing trip. Here there is still refinement and may it stay that long.

*Rating refers to the high 75 ml bottle from the year 2008 that I own!

Anosmia
Elegance is a steel bath
Completely contrary to the fashion line of the company which has got a clear twist by Lagerfeld towards punk and has made itself popular with the young audience, the No 5 is modernized in the sense of the inventor and has kept its classic, elegant appearance, so I hear anyway.
When I had it new, I "shared" it with a friend and my mother, so to speak, and up and down the country, the eau was praised enthusiastically: Flowery, fresh, powdery, noble, elegant, classic, feminine, incomparable, not to be sated, suitable for around the clock, the office, the first date, the theatre, a fantastic, unsurpassable fragrance.
By the way, these storms of enthusiasm came almost exclusively from women. As if he would embody something that almost all women want to radiate - self-confidence and a sense of style presumably.
Eau Premiere sometimes had quite strange effects on the wearers: My girlfriend for example, until then rather from the leather jackets&Boots Fraktion suddenly walked around with a trench coat and a plain light leather bag and tried French Manicure. And my mother had me sew piles of black longsleeves with inserted white shirt collars and cuffs which always had to be worn with Eau Premiere. Surely the name (CHANEL!) contributed a lot to this change of mind, but it was not the decisive point at all.
The first prophecies of doom came from the guys my girlfriend and I had a relationship with. They found the scent old-fashioned, bland, penetrating and absolutely unsexy. Probably it was too perfumed for them, perhaps they also disturbed the aldehydes and the often described soapiness. And I'm sure she was disturbed by what this fragrance expresses. Elegance and understatement were not their thing and under eroticism they imagined fishnet pantyhose, suspenders, tube jeans with boots or hotpants but certainly no silk blouses and trench coats.
And then it happened:
My mother and my girlfriend were tired of the Eau premiere almost overnight: they couldn't stand it anymore and found it exhausting. At the same time, the nude nails and the penchant for selected elegant clothing disappeared, which had to be worn at home until late at night.
What happened?

Perfect elegance is something wonderful. Whenever I see a woman with a full-day perfectly lying short hairstyle or an artistically attached chignon, in a perfectly pale blue crease-free silk blouse that perfectly fits the at least almost perfect figure, in addition a pencil skirt and a casually blowing trench coat - not to forget perfect make-up and perfectly manicured fingernails - then I stop and marvel and swarm.
Elegance as a consistent lifestyle is also something very rare. I think you can see if someone has styled themselves for an event or is on the move every day.
And last but not least (Chanel once said so similarly) elegance is something timeless: Individual accessories may change, a certain attitude, a certain basic style seem to remain. And so No 5 became No 5 Eau Premiere.

BUT: For myself I find elegance a steel bath and I have the impression that I am not alone with it. There are girls who insist as children on being schooled completely in white lace, but forget themselves after the first piece of cake and come back in the evening - as if all the big ones had not suspected it - with torn tights, mud on their dress and leaves in their hair. These girls may then grow up to be women who lay down trench coats and eau premieres to realize after 3 months that this ensemble is not made for their everyday life.
Just as this fragrance gives posture, so it demands it. In the long run he may be too much for robber princesses, even if they find themselves in his self-confidence and determination for the time being.

Which - in the end - doesn't change the fact that a very large perfume was successfully modernised here.
6.0 6.0 8.0 7.0/10

The tender light-hearted lightness
N°5 Eau Première begins sweetly sparkling - flowery, but also old-fashioned and slightly soapy.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "Zirkeltanz" for the rehearsal.

The first thing you can notice is an intense, sparkling, flowery note that brings something exhilarating, slightly soapy and is thanks to Neroli.

At the same time, a heavy flowery sweetness is perceptible, which almost devours the neroli and comes from the ylang - ylang.

The aldehydes enclose these two notes, with a hint of lemon and bergamot scent and I also mean to smell a little bit of bitter orange, which makes sure that the scent is really lifted into the air and unfortunately also appears unpleasantly old-baked.

But dear Pafuma's, wait and see, because you will be rewarded, because the old aura disappears completely from the heart note :-)

This constellation is perceptible on my skin for 20 minutes before the heart note unfolds.

Now a deep, engaging floral note is perceptible, which also brings with it a light creamy sweetness, which gives the fragrance a beautiful femininity and stems from the May rose.

The May rose is covered with a delicate, light floral shade, which gives the fragrance something light and carefree at the same time and is due to jasmine.

Already in the heart note a sweet, creamy vanilla hint is perceptible, which builds up towards the base and harmonises wonderfully with the Mairose and the Jasmine
The heart note is perceptible on my skin for 4.5 hours before the base asserts itself.

Now the Bourbon - Vanilla has completely built up and gives the base something fluffy, where you just want to lie down and enjoy.

At the same time the Bourbon - Vanilla is accompanied by a gentle spicy shade and is responsible for the fact that the basis receives something "full" and comes from the sandalwood.

In the background, the subtly tangy vetiver rounds off the base wonderfully and lets the fragrance fade away very pleasantly
N°5 Eau Première is a great companion in the spring, summer and autumn months for young and old women who are looking for a floral and floral fragrance with a light and carefree aura.

In total the fragrance lasts 8 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is conceived from the outset in such a way that one is clearly noticed at half an arm's length and this is maintained also 3 hours in such a way, before it reduces itself in quiet steps, until the smell finally completely fades away.
7.5 10.0 7.5 8.0/10

Soap in marble bathtub!
My whole impression will take place on the famous No5 itself, but I have this opportunity, while I'm trying Eau Premiere these days, to write about this flanker briefly. No5 Eau Premiere in one sentence is bright and sheer version of No5. Imagine if No5 was a plant, Eau Premiere would be the twig of a main stem with lighter color.

Isn't interesting that No5's aldehyde smells like soap in marble bathtub!? This aldehyde is not my type at all but interesting that it doesn't punch me over. Eau Premiere presents that aldehyde form much lighter and less radiant, having this mixed with floral notes (five star ylang ylang accord) and indolic jasmine. The edges are chamfered by vanilla…

The result is young femininity, strong personality, charming fatality! I found this flanker much wearable and much modern than the original No5, yet the nearest to the source than the other flankers.
8/10
8.0/10

N°5's bubblier granddaughter
I have been meaning to review this one in English for a while now, and now that the weather is warm enough to try floral-aldehydic fragrances and I have been on a N°5 binge, the time seems ripe for it.

First off, the aldehydes are far lighter, more modern -- and more fleeting -- than in Eau Première's esteemed foremother. The opening lacks the bug spray accord (aldehydes spiked with intense bergamot) that can be so off-putting to delicate contemporary noses in the original N°5 and many others, and instead comes off as non-aquatic fresh floral that soon gives way to the classical jasmine-rose combo. Those two flowers seem to me to be a cornerstone of modern Western perfumery, and for good reason -- there is nothing quite as heady yet bubbly and classy as jasmine and rose blended well together. While it can feel a bit soapy especially when transitioning from top notes to the heart, it's a very, very classy kind of soapy.

The base lacks the plump oriental amber that makes the original so intoxicating, but the vanillic-woody sweetness is there, shining a golden undertone throughout the duration of this perfume. The developmental stages seem more distinct to me in Eau Première than the original N°5, which is a near-seamless floriental joy ride, and for some reason EP lasts longer on my skin, too. It's a great, classy light floral quasi-oriental, a sharper, more contemporary Atkins diet version of the plush original; nothing off the beaten path, but I would say a definite failsafe for most people looking for something elegant and unobtrusive to wear or give as gift. I for one would be only happy to receive a bottle.

~ Premium Premiere ~
Wearing this in the comfort of my own home it has greeted me with a very friendly bright aldehyde/lemony opening that calmed down quickly on my dry male skin. It reminded me of a more floral opening of the mens Pour Monsiuer Homme. As I sit here the dry down I get is a classy, clean rose and subtle vanilla that just keeps evoking in me the image of an intellectual type modern woman in an office or boardroom setting? It does seem to sit closer to the skin than the sweeter coco's I've tried with almost a transparent sillage. I have never smelled the original No5 on a woman but if this version is even remotely similar the original must surely be very elegant? I would very much respect a woman's taste in fragrance that wore Eau Premiere as it is unmistakeably all Chanel DNA and another Polge masterpiece.
My score ~ Fittingly a no. 5/5.
7.5 5.0 5.0 9.0/10

Miaw2
Well done reinterpretation of the classic
Beautiful opening with ylang-ylang and aldehydes that lasts for almost one hour.

Then jasmine joins the composition and gives an powderiness, together with roses.

Dries down to a very sweet and creamy sandalwood with lots of vanilla.

Sillage is close to skin but sometimes it leaves a magic trail. Projection is also soft. Lasting power is average.

I would rate this as unisex. I like it very much and use without any problem.

Updated January 2014
10.0/10

Premiere Eau
I was a little wary of trying Eau Premiere, as I love the original No 5 and firmly believe in the adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it". In this case though, I admit Chanel have created an absolute delight. Eau Premiere is softer, warmer and kinder than the original and I am falling more in love with this every time I wear it. It also lingers on my skin all day. The feel of No 5 is still there, but with Eau Premiere her smile finally reaches her eyes.
5.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Modern Classic
The original Chanel No:5 was the first classic perfume my mother bought me. A rite of passage, a 'grown' perfume for a 17 year old bookish girl that was deemed mature enough by her mother to wear a classic. I have always loved that scent. Timeless, chic and unmistakably classy.
Eau Premiere Chanel strikes me as a lighter, cheerier version. Probably more suited for me way back when, but way back when there were only a few Chanels to choose from, and my mother wanted to give me something that I had always admired on her and that would amaze & enchant me. It did! I had it on a prime spot on my vanity and only wore it for very formal occasions, feeling very lady like
: )

I adore a few 'newer' Chanels. But the original is just the one you can't get around. Its legend is too big and too seductive.
Today it's still a loved one: A little black dress, a string of pearls, high heels, red lipstick and Chanel ?5. Let the evening begin.

I too must watch the "Coco Avant Chanel" film (again) this time whilst wearing my favorite Chanel. It seems like an experience a Chanel fan would enjoy greatly : )
10.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Hey little sister
Chanel No. 5 was the first smell at which I had the feeling decades ago to be a young but mature woman now. It came added to that that I have got married also young. This probably also played a role here - I seemed adult to myself;-)
The smell accompanied me also reconcile year which of later smell purchases I cannot claim. It was just a classic. I liked him very much but the ways divided sometime.

I have found the little sister thanks to a sample now and will take by the hand tightly and not release so fast her again.
Enthusiastic - I find the smell is toddled into the footprints of the big classic and can stand the ground there very much well.

I am pleased about this new member of the family. Thanks Turandot, another stage of the smell journey is immortalized in my diary.
10.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Chanel No 5's Younger Sister
This is a Earthier version of the original no 5 the original is more
crisp with more citrus while the Eau Premiere deeper woodier with hints in my opinion Chocolate. and with more
patchouli. then no 5 A reserved more
Quieter Little Sister Compeard to the Larger then Life Diva of all diva of perfumes Chanel No 5

But neatherless stands on it's own.
7.5 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Younger No.5
Like every girl on the planet, I cannot resist the urge to be drawn to expensive and exclusive brand names. The name 'Chanel', if mentioned in a conversation can make one sound and appear sophisticated and classy. It had been my dream ever since discovering a love of fragrance, to be able to add a Chanel perfume to my growing collection. However, finding a Chanel perfume that I actually happened to like was starting to look like an impossible task.

I had tested the original Chanel No.5, and although I could understand its appeal, it was far too mature and soapy for my liking. I concluded that it was my young age that made me feel this way.

I convinced myself to try this new version of the original today, to try and prove myself wrong and to make a comparison between the two. The first initial spray, to my nose, was much softer and more pleasant than Chanel No.5. The scent also had a slight tang of citrus in the top notes, that when blended with the aldehydes and soft florals, it created a warm and creamy fragrance. The drydown was an exquisitely soft vanilla scent with touches of rose and jasmine.

I would describe Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere as a youthful spin on the original infamous fragrance. It is less aggressive with its powdery notes, much sweeter and evidently more casual. Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere is the fragrance you would wear when you can't wear Chanel No.5; like on a hot Summer's day or in the office.

For those women, who like me, thought Chanel No.5 was far too strong and soapy, this fragrance would be your better alternative.

Jazzy76 38 days ago
Feminity at its top : all the charm and the class of the legendary n.5 in a fresher edt to wear manily by day in the good season. Wonderful.
10.0
9.0
Trucklady 51 days ago
Pairs up superbly with the body oil. Aldehydic ylang ylang that veers down a fluffy femme route. Comforting in a pink bath robe.
9.0
Lillibet 16 months ago
A very wearable variation on Chanel's iconic No. 5. A lovely soft chiffon aura. Somehow bracing and comforting at the same time.+3
6.0
Bcars10 20 months ago
This is the Chanel No. 5 for people who can't/won't wear the original. I prefer this because it is lighter and fresher but still nostalgic.+3
6.0

by Vawallpa
by Diorella
by Diorella

Popular Chanel

Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Sycomore (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Chance (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel