Platinum Égoïste 1993 Eau de Toilette

Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1993. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Jacques Polge

OakmossOakmoss
SandalwoodSandalwood
VetiverVetiver
CedarCedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.10.2021.

Fresh all-rounder
I must confess that next to Dior, my favorite designer house is Chanel, as far as fragrances in the designer segment are concerned Their fragrances embody elegance and style.
And that for 100 years.
I like the Platinum version now better than the classic version. Although the fragrance came out in 1993 I have discovered him only 2021 for me.
The fragrance is more portable even in everyday life or sports. I love this cool freshness, which emanates from him.
A Chanel, which pleases almost everyone.
I also always get compliments for the fragrance, no matter where and how I wear it.
A simple-knit, linear and timeless fragrance for the modern yet timeless man
One man, one forest
My way leads me in this shimmering summer heat to one of my favorite places at this time of year. Actually, this place is always an experience, no matter when. But in the summer it is here just especially beautiful!

I reach the small piece of forest. It is a mixed forest of cedars and various deciduous trees. Simply beautiful. The ground here is decorated with the most diverse plants, even rosemary can be found here.

As soon as I enter the cool green wonder of nature, a wonderful scent flows towards me. I smell the trees, the plants, which grow at the feet of the trees and found there in the shade refuge from the sun. Moss grows here and there.
And already after one or two steps, I smell what is in the midst of this woodland, in my heart. It is a deep, clear, cool lake, which is framed by wonderfully fragrant lavender and sage.

I reach the lake. Full of anticipation I jump without hesitation with a Köpper in the middle and dive off. Immediately I feel the cold, the deep water that surrounds me.
As I surface and swim ashore, I lie down refreshed and cooled in the purple-green sea of plants and enjoy the scent of the forest, the plants, the moss.

Simply always an experience and worth a trip, this place!

A masterpiece
One of the best fragrances ever. True to the 90s, however, always up-to-date and magnificent.
I used it in the 90s as a signature fragrance and it stayed in my rotation forever.
There is a great emotional side, great connections and memories associated with this perfume.
A masterpiece.
Yannosch
Business casual or tailored suit - the fragrance fits
This scent just compelled me to write a review, as unusual as we have met.

It was the day before my wedding as my actually intended fragrance first fell victim to my sweaty hands and then the floor. So in a hurry I went to get the fragrance again. However, the perfumery of my confidence was already closed and so it was left to me only to drive to a large turquoise chain. On the way I hoped and prayed that the fragrance was there and ..... sold out.

In a panic, I sought advice from a saleswoman after already somehow magically holding Platinum Egoiste in my fingers myself and spraying a test strip. Normally, I always throw the strips away immediately if a fragrance does not convince me right away. This time, somehow, I wasn't. The advice was not very helpful and the saleswoman then asked me which test strip I was carrying around. "No, that's an old men's fragrance" was her reaction. I smelled the test strip again because I didn't associate the scent with old men at all. And then it hit me like a blow. This was the fragrance for me. Fresh, elegant, unobtrusive and yet always noticeable in the nose.

So there I was, a day later, wearing a custom Italian suit, saying "yes" not only to my wife, but somehow also to Platinum Egoiste.

Even today I wear the fragrance, especially in the summer with pleasure. It goes perfectly with business casual looks for dinner after business meetings, in my opinion. Although I had not expected it, I was often asked which fragrance I would wear.

And so began my journey into marriage and relationship with Platinum Egoiste.
Always fits
Reminds me of the hair gel I used as a pooper. Have been looking for this fragrance for a long time and now found it 30 years later. It suits all occasions. Wearable in the office and in the club. A nose flatterer that you can recommend to buy blind or to give away. It smells flowery fresh and at the same time woody warm. Suitable for all ages.
Appleslap
PLATINA: Ecuador, misjudged and banished in 1650 - platinum shines; Nelly sur Seine, prized and revered in 1993 - platinum shines; New York, a historic all-time high in 2008 - platinum shines
First things first:
Platinum, today extremely valuable and appreciated, both in technology and in the jewelry segment, was, like so many elements, far ahead of the time of its former discoverers.
This gray-white metal received its name in the age of colonization, more precisely, the local contemporaries used the term "platina", a diminutive of the Spanish word "plata" for silver.
At that time, this metal was considered a troublesome guest in the search for gold and so one or the other ancestor, without even wasting another thought on this concomitant, this unwanted "platina" unceremoniously, carelessly plop back over his shoulder into the river.

Today, platinum forms one of the many cornerstones and pillars upon which our civilized (capitalist) world is based, exists, prospers and prospers.
Apart from jewellery production, platinum is valued and technically processed due to its high melting point, its inert behaviour (chemical resistance) and its good catalytic properties. Platinum (along with other elements of the platinum metals) can be found in laboratory equipment, resistance wires, thermocouples and all kinds of catalysts. The best-known examples are detoxification catalysts such as Pt/Pd/Rh catalysts for car exhaust gases. (Nitrogen oxides, cat, lambda probe, environment, ring a bell?)
Now that the history and chemistry crash courses are over, it's on to the nitty gritty.

Chanel, a name, a traditional house and company, as familiar and prestigious; revered and cherished; storied and avant-garde as only a select few have managed in this big wide world.
We are in the middle of the confused 90s, a time of upheaval, turmoil, a partial renaissance, but above all an era of progressive digitalization and mechanization (SNES, Nintendo 64, Sega Megadrive, PlayStation, Game Boy and not to forget, the magnum opus of handhelds: Game Boy COLOR - inventions, with which even the kids of today are tangent from time to time).

In the midst of this globalization, the prêt-à-porter market is becoming more profitable and popular by the day. P-à-p, nothing new really, has been wafting around the fashion industry for over 60 years at that point. But the parity of society is picking up speed around the globe: Those who have money would also like to spend it again with full hands.
The quintessence behind Chanel's drumbeat lay (and still lies today) in the fact that while all those who scream for bread, just this bread was served by the baker, at Chanel, on the other hand, with the finest confectionery quality are served: Keyword Baumkuchen.
Neither Chanel nor Polge resign themselves to mere fare, it is composed, created, arranged and constructed.
Back to the 90s: while some find their way back to the old greatness and launch opulent and extravagant P-à-p collections (Tom Ford and Gucci send their regards), Chanel dedicates itself to the matter-of-fact purist style, both in terms of couture as well as olfactory.
Platinum Égoïste fits perfectly into this scheme: neither too experimental, nor too daring, but puristic and perfected in the highest form: ergo a symbiosis of haute couture and prêt-à-porter: available for the masses, but of the quality of a carefully manufakturell, from exquisite ingredients, created tailor-made suit: luxury off the rack, or in this case the drugstore or perfumery (globalization and commercialization can be warmly recommended at this point).

Why now the epithet Platinum?
Just as the market segment of luxury bar clothing is experiencing a flight of fancy, so are collectors, investors and lovers of platinum intoxicated by the steep breakthrough on the stock markets.
Platinum is experiencing a renaissance in the jewelry industry, this so costly extracted and presented (production in pure form) precious metal, once still displaced by (recently discovered) white gold in the 20s of the 20th century, is once again highly valued and loved by smiths, watchmakers, (coin) collectors and shareholders.
Contrary to (yellow) gold, platinum has always been considered the more demure precious metal.
The play of colors is more discreet, cooler and brighter, and above all, the maxim applies here: Understatement, which layman is able to distinguish from afar whether the wearer is adorned with noble platinum or silver suitable for the masses ? Even today, many people can not identify with the conspicuous presence and color of gold.
Platinum as a piece of jewelry appears more purist, more straightforward, and (in my humble opinion) far more sublime than any other precious metal. On top of that, it is also more multi-faceted and complementary with the entire color palette that the fashion world has to offer.
I feel the same way about Chanel's Platinum Égoïste:
It is not the most complex fragrance that has ever seen the light of day, it does not have to, because it fits seamlessly into the zeitgeist of the 90s, exemplary for Chanel's direction at that time (contemporaries hands up!).
A fragrance as puristic (keyword: dignified), stylish and multifaceted as the precious metal itself, a composition consisting of delicate (keyword: soft) components that in their entirety are more than the mere sum of their parts. An olfactory creation that represents a masculine (keyword: hard), sophisticated, yet entirely unobtrusive presence (catcalling was already uncool back then, at least that's how my mother taught me).
A composition which is accessible to the masses (keyword: prêt-à-porter), but sublime to all representatives of mass appealipng crowdpleasers (keyword: bread/tree cake or silver/platinum).

Actually, I'm borrowing from the concept of gender-typing fragrances, however there are (whether historically or socially) subjective associations to certain scents.
The ladies may be indulgent with me, but this so specific fragrance personifies a charming (no charm stud and also no charmer in casanovaschen manner), neat, well-read, balanced grand seigneur of the modern age.
Even if the 90s are long past and whose children now, with a bottle of wine in the designer tote bag on an e-scooter hurtle into the Big 30, the fragrance is by no means outdated.
Au contraire! Especially in the current era of fabric softeners and mop water, the organic juices they want to literally push on us as the olfactory grandeur of the 21st century, as they bring us good cheer and compliments compliments on immature school desk pressers, especially now it is important to stand up for yourself and express your character, or is all the tolerance and love of diversity only available on Instagram and Co. adorned with a cute hashtag?

Who can identify with understatement, purist elegance and individuality, this fragrance will snuggle like a second skin and dress him for Wahr in the aura of a Gentilhomme of modernity.
Young gentlemen listen up, the gentleman of today is still considered such in the hoodie and sneakers, as long as he behaves like one, the clothes are always secondary.

Stay gentle, stay humble, stay kind.

(full version on the blog)

Compare this with Armaf Legesi
Smells Good AC suggested a highly viable alternative to this.
I happen to own both PE and Legesi, hope this helps...

I personally feels Legesi is a modernized and improved version of PE. Reason being, the overall scent profile is very very close. But Legesi removes all the aspects of PE that is lacking. Let's compare

The biggest difference to me is the base notes in these. On me PE dries down to a sour, cucumber-like, watery musk. It is not unpleasant but I prefer the opening much more. Legesi, however, pumps up the ambroxan/amber in PE by a whole lot so the dry down is extremely pleasant, smooth and sweet.

The performance of Legesi is twice more than modern PE

PE smells absolutely more metallic than Legesi due to it's geranium and herbal notes.
Legesi smells more simple with it's prominent sweet amber, but still retain that masculine edge of PE.

PE's lavender smells very natural, if you ever smelled lavender oil you'll know. It's not just sweet but also herbaceus.

Legesi's lavender is more pleasant (it smells smooth and doesn't have a cheap synthetic feel, but still doesn't smell realistic or natural)

My recommendation:
If you have never tried PE, please go for Legesi, IMO it is a VERY HIGH QUALITY juice, absolutely tacky bottle though so you'll have to deal with that.
Lastly, let me attempt to "poetically" describe the impression of PE:
Imagine a bundle of lavender and rosemary you harvested a month ago, they are all nice and dry on your window. You use your hand to grab that bundle and put your hand into a fridge-cold basket of Vodka. Then you pull your hands out and smell the entire thing with cold vodka dripping from it.
Yeah...

Don't know how anybody would want to smell like this during winter, but for summer, I can't think of a more refreshing scent

Sleep in on Sunday and then Platinum Egoïste
Only recently have I caught myself in such a moment that made me appreciate the Platinum Egoïste, like this one Sunday when I slept in late and first trotted sleepily to the bathroom.

The look in the mirror was borderline, as my scrunched up face with all the pillow marks looked like I had once again been spinning the nightly big wheel with friends, even though I dutifully stayed home for pandemic reasons.
The water temperature at the tap first turned to cold to counteract the monstrosity and scrub the facial wrinkles properly through.
Normally I shave myself wet with razor only weekdays during the week, because the employer attaches importance to a well-groomed appearance. But this time I had only Bock the contours of the three-day beard to shave.

So neat shaving foam on it on neck and neck and with acoustic Mukke of Damien Rice, David Gray from the Bose Bluetooth box come fitting finest vibes for the Sunday.
Rinse the whole thing off with water and while I used the towel to wipe the remaining foam from all
openings, the Platinum Egoïste in my collection laughed at me.
Splash on wrist, neck, neck and shirt with simultaneous explosion of freshness.
This lavender and rosemary, which immediately shoots into the nose, is so refreshing that it immediately promotes your body feeling in another league.
Until today, I have not found a fragrance that gives in such a natural way one this enormous fresh masculine body feeling, which makes me appear so confident that I have to think long, which fragrance would be capable of similar.

This fragrance also always reminds me of my childhood, when my father has always unpacked the roof brush for the weekend before breakfast, swung the Gilette blades and then cycled to the bakery around the corner. On his lap, it always smelled just like classic aftershave, which for me always underpinned his self-confident manner. I suspect times, that that aftershave also lavender and fresh scents had inne.

What makes Platinum Egoïste for me not a daddy scent. It is a fragrance that anyone can wear, who confidently goes through the day and also has a certain "masculine" self-confident appearance. The course I hear as quite linear but the freshness does not lose the beautiful intensity.

Overall, I would classify him already tending as Ü30 fragrance but for one or the other with certainty already earlier portable.

The durability and sillage are decent at about 6h, however, I have the impression that this earlier even stronger and more radiated.

In conclusion, I must say that this fragrance accompanies me very solid and confident through the day. When I wear this fragrance, I have the Chanel vibe. You put another one on top without screaming around.
The fragrance does not do somersaults but it also does not do somersaults, for which I love him, because understatement fragrances, are fully my thing.

So, this was my second comment on Parfumo and hopefully I could help undecided.

Have a nice Sunday together !

Chanel Platinum Egoiste EDT
Very underwhelmed by this scent. It smells like a very generic barbershop fragrance. Too Tinny and hollow for me. All I get is a mint opening with a synthetic, Lavender and Sage. There is an amber note that doesn't hang around for long. Smells like a semi skimmed Davidoff Cool Water and a watered down Tommy Hilfiger EDT Also doesn't project much and lasts around 2 hours. Also it is not soapy in the slightest. Scent 6/10 Sillage 6/10 Longevity 6/10

I know you
I've ran out of my first bottle. The opening is a bit angular, but once dried in, the scent develops a fresh metallic soap scent.

An acquaintance of mine always wore this perfume as his signature scent and I always wondered what he was wearing. Bought it blind one day. I sprayed it on my wrist and immediately gor shot back in time. It is funny if you have not smelled a scent for so long but it somehow remains stored.

Chanel Platinum Egoïste is a great scent in my opinion, someone else might find it a bit ordinary if they smell it on me. But just wait for the moment they buy her by accident. Then, after that first spray on the wrist, they immediately know what my motive was.

Would I buy it again? Yes, when i’m feeling to.

Finerthings8Finerthings8 16 days ago
It is a good smell but unfortunately it is very familiar.this formula has been copied a lot for aftershaves,shaving foams.feels less special
WinandVWinandV 4 months ago
What a beauty! Such an energizing, uplifting and herbaceous fragrance. Perfect to start the day. Girls love this clean slightly green scent!
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 6 months ago
The best fougere out there. Similar to MontBlanc Legend but more refined and less fruity
JulphJulph 7 months ago
An old fashion 90'scent that I still love it in 2021.
MeneeixMeneeix 8 months ago
A metallic lavender that does not go out of style, with an excellent durability
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
Some fresh flowers with a metallic touch. Little bit of green. It is smooth and has a calming mood. Elegant and discreet. Signature scent.
Dan81Dan81 1 year ago
Sharp and metallic flowers. Scent itself is not similar to its original but there is an Egoiste vibe of uncompromising expression of "self"
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
Less powerful and less clear-cut than Égoïste, but brilliant. A fern-green eau de toilette. An energetic accord of fresh and aromatic notes.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
Original Egoiste is miles better than this one. To be fair this one is a completely different take on Egoiste, so it's not just a flanker.
RocendrollRocendroll 3 years ago
[Może być] Chłodny, elegancki, świeży, z klasą.

by Zora
by Zora
by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13
Signaturduft Herr Lavendel :)
by Lavendel18
Chanel -  Platinum Égoïste (1993) | Cold as ice | it's not the vodka tv commercial spot ;-)
by Nicos91
by Nicos91
by Dunki
by Dunki
by OvidiuH
Chanel -  Platinum Égoïste (1993)
by Morpheus1
Chanel -  Platinum Égoïste (1993)| in platinum style | Es war der Duft vom verstorbenen Rapper Notorious B.I.G. aka Biggie Smalls. Während sein größter Rivale 2Pac Shakur wohl Dior bevorzugte.
by Appleslap
by Appleslap
by Sternenklar
by Sternenklar
Chanel -  Platinum Égoïste (1993)
by TomDuft
by Night88
by Echtdufte
by Echtdufte

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel