Platinum Égoïste 1993Eau de Toilette

Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1993. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is still in production. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Z Zegna Extreme

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesLavender, Neroli, Petitgrain, Rosemary
Heart Notes Heart NotesGalbanum, Geranium, Jasmine, Clary sage
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.11.2020.

Ahead of its time
I can hardly believe that this fragrance is from 1993. I still think it's up to date. Elegant, fresh in the usual Chanel quality. To me, Platinum Egoiste seems to be the spiritual father of Reflection Man and Prada L Homme. Many modern fragrances are inspired by the masterpiece of Jaques Polge. You can wear this fragrance very well as a signature. Fits to all occasions, also very well in the office. The durability is not too good, but you often have that with fresh scents. Some call Platinum Egoiste the commercial brother of the original Egoiste from 1990, but the commercial success speaks for itself. For me, Platinum Egoiste is the rediscovery of the year 2020

Class in a bottle
What a delight to smell a reformulation that is better than the original. More floral-citrusy and less metallic, this fragrance smacks of refined opulence. Classy masculinity with good longevity and a discreet sillage; only a couple of dabs behind the ears will last for hours and will not overpower anyone. Luxuriate!
LUKE, I'M YOUR FATHER! *schaufff... huff*
ATTENTION! MANY SPOILERS!

Fun Fact 1:
Dart Vader never said that line (googles "Darth Vader Mandela effect")

Nevertheless, he is his father
And Chanel's "platinum egoist" (that's how they say it in fyi..) is A&F Fierce's father
But it doesn't have to be a bad thing... ...for Fierce, anyway. With Luke and Annakin... well ':D At his children's birthday parties, this father would have been a scream! D And hey, who can say, "My daddy is the ruler of the empire"... ;)

Well, back to the topic of this post:

Fierce is, in my opinion, a perfectly made, fresh, woody, fruity and sweet daily driver fragrance. I have the feeling he doesn't have the best reputation, which is true for many designer fragrances that "everyone likes".

It was already like that in the school class... who is liked by all teachers, is quickly teased by the comrades... (Btw. I hate people... so I was not liked, but still I was teased...)

But I don't care about clichés and prejudices. And I like to wear Fierce every now and then, and it really goes down well with everyone exorbitantly.

For a long time I thought it was the first fragrance to take this direction.

Now that I've gone Platinum Egoist, I'm of the opinion that this was the unofficial prototype for Fierce...

But Fierce is: fresher, woodier, more lively, modern, timeless (because he smells neither old nor new, Platinum you can smell his generation a bit...), and yes... simply better from my point of view.
I'm actually talking about the newly available Fierce, not some vintage batch...

But what I find cool about PE is that it's a bit of a "matte template" for Fierce, but still doesn't look like a cheap clone (a'la "wants but can't").
Platinum egoist just says "Hey, I'm just a bit of an oldie, treat me with respect" :D

So for my feeling it is a slightly flatter Fierce, with such a light aftershave-like note, which gives the whole thing a certain "gilette feeling". (Think of Burberry, Viking, Herrera for Men...)

Vl. sounds negative for some people, but give him a chance. As much as I like Fierce, as much as others like it... sometimes it's too much "statement", too clearly pretty ... if that makes sense So if you want the DNA with a little understatement, a tick more "Daddy" instead of "Junior goes on his second date", then PE is a good choice.

Considering this, I also think the performance is well chosen, the scent is a little weaker than Fierce, but this allows a more precise dosage, and it fits better to the image / feeling than if he was a silage monster.

For a fragrance from 1993, I find the whole thing groundbreaking, in the truest sense of the word ;P

Typical Chanel, top quality, very distinguished.

More unique and special I find nevertheless the normal "Egoiste", which is a completely own animal! :)

Cheers
Norleans
Why didn't you introduce yourself earlier?
I am constantly trying to keep my collection "clean". This includes that I want to have as few fragrances as possible that resemble each other. Exceptions confirm the rule, as always.

So it happened that a friend of mine sent me his remaining Platinum bottle. Although I already knew Platinum from a bottling, the fragrance experience straight from the bottle was as different as day and night. Was it because of the plastic of the sample vaporizer? Does the eye smell? I don't know. Anyway, I suddenly became a fan of Platinum. And I had to get my own new bottle Pre-commentators compare Platinum with Cool Water or Green Irish Tweed (both of which are known to be very similar, at least in the top note). And: You are right. Since Green Irish Tweed was in my collection until recently (you might have guessed it already), the similarity could be verified, the differences highlighted.

Where GIT with its verbena flair comes across as perhaps too old-fashioned, Platimun with its neroli and jasmine touch is somewhat less dogged in its appearance. Platinum is not necessarily light-footed, but very relaxed, less serious, but still serious. GIT has a certain muff at the end of its shelf life when dosed properly. Which I don't think is necessarily bad, but which doesn't match the previous course. Platinum remains more faithful in its development and says goodbye after a similarly long dwell time with a little more oakmoss and vetiver, but doesn't surprise you with an unpleasant drydown.

Platinum is attached to me for many hours, accompanies me reliably for a whole working day even in high temperatures and also amuses me in my free time. To recommend unconditionally, to all those who like freshness with a little substance, not averted from the scent of GITs, but who like to smell a little more modern. It should be mentioned that Platinum is in no way a modern creation of recent years, but has been around for 27 years. Were there any reforms? Maybe, I only know the current version.

GIT is still a brilliant fragrance for me, but had to give way to Platinum in my collection.

Thanks for reading it

The Sharp One
Egoiste was my very first perfume that I wore. I was a teenager and it was definitely heavier than what my peers were wearing. Then came Platinum Egoiste a few years later. It was fresh, metallic and blossoming with a spark that made my teenage heart believe it was more modern and sharp. I switched from Egoiste to Egoiste Platinum as I was eager to appear more mature.

Fast forward 20 years. I had gone through multiple different and "modern" perfumes and then I spend another ten years nearly never wearing colognes for work reasons. When I was able to enjoy fragrances again, I realize my old Egoiste bottle had been long gone but my Egoiste Platinum had survived the multiple changes in countries and cities. It unfortunately did not get stored in the dark or cool place. So most of the top notes are gone and has a piercing ethanol smell but the heart and base notes were alive. I was curious to compare the new and old Platinum Egoiste side by side, albeit the old one has been spoiled a bit so I purchased the new Platinum. With the reformulation, comparison is even more obscure but I feel the metallic coldness that I felt with the old Platinum may be much more rounder and warmer in the new platinum, but it is still very fresh.

I do feel the platinum does smell a little dated in comparison to other modern fragrance, however it is still very charming. I now appreciate how Platinum is so absolutely different from Egoiste itself the original in terms of scents, yet I feel they both accomplish to illustrate an Egoiste : the original feels more warm overall but you know he doesn't care anybody but himself. Platinum appears fresh and easily approachable, but it has metallic coldness that signals he is an Egoiste who is stylish and doesn't mind to play nice with others but do not compromise who he is. I believe Egoiste and Egoiste platinum will always remain fascinating for me.
The Companion
The "One"
Who does not know the myth of the signature scent In search of security, individuality and masculinity. A fragrance that is always there, like family or friends.
It becomes loud when it gets hot, it caresses you in quiet moments.
It has the quality for a signature scent.

How would I describe the fragrance from a layman's perspective?
Initially fresh, spicy, green dry then clean after expensive soap. "No sweet powdery scent."

First of all, it is not a party clubbing scent, but it does have the potency for a flirt in everyday life.
The age group he addresses is currently at Ü30, so my feeling is.
Is really, as so often described, the cool water for adults.
If U30 people feel addressed, then please, allowed is what pleases. He's worth getting to know.
Dislikers would describe it as old-fashioned, but these are the ones who complain when a 69 Ford Mustang has no servo or electric windows.
I would even wear it to a funeral, which for some would be a knockout criterion right now.
For me a testimony of his quality for a real Daily.
As he performed in summer I can't say, the love is still fresh ;-)
In general I quickly reach working temperature (I am a craftsman).
And he's doing pretty good.
So nu is but good....

P. P.
Thanks to Fresh21 for the impulse to write a comment.

SHARP
The best way I can describe the olfactory experience with PE would be..

imagine you harvested a bunch of lavender off the field, cut them up and put them into a stainless steel box. Next, you pour water on top of them till all are soaked, after that you put the box into a freezer for a week.
When you get the ice cube out, you grind them up into a slushy texture and serve it into a rock.
Finally, pour a half cup of fine grey goose on top

Voila, that should approximate what platinum egoiste smells like
Lush, calming, ice-cold, sharp, intimidating, sparkly

The nobler cool water
Am I the only one here who thinks that Platinum Egoiste smells similar to Davidof's cool water?! PE smells more noble and metallic, but otherwise very similar. Very well suited for the office, actually I only use it there. I even got an (indirect) compliment from my boss, and he never actually gives compliments (although hardly anyone in my office wears perfume): "I don't know who it is, but somebody smells very good here.".
So if someone really doesn't know the scent yet, he just has to imagine cool water in something more noble.
Great durability, by the way.

Only for real Men
My workday was over. As usual, I went to sephora to smell some fragrances. After my nose was knocked-out, I decided to smell one last fragrance. I thought that the last one should be a real hero to tickle my senses. I grabbed Chanel Platinum Egoiste. As soon as I smelled it, it felt like something else. I had to spray it on my skin and see how it would go. It developed into a very elegant, charming, manly scent. Earthy, green and elegant smell. This thing smells like a real man who won't look back. Never. I left the perfumery and got home. After 2-3 hours, the egoiste was still projecting. Not beastly, but I was still able to feel it. And pretty good. Longevity ? 9+ hours for me. I think it must be used only for special occasions and by real & mature men. Nothing casual. Blind buy is out of the question. I have to put my hands on this one. And soon. Highly recommended !
Overall rating : 8/10

Chrisdl
A must-have for all. Go get it!
After all these years Platinum Egoiste still makes heads turn. "Mmm, you smell great. What is it? I could eat you!" I'm not sure if I'm quite ripe enough to be eaten, but this Chanel is something else, though.

It's one of those scents that you should have in your possession, no matter what. You'll use it, you'll love it, people will love it. But... How exactly does it smell?
At first spray, you'll be bombarded by a metallic blast mixed with lovely neroli. On your skin, it'll smell like you've just come from a bathtub, liberally soaked in bath salts.

Those aromas quickly make way for the longer lasting center. It is as if you're walking barefoot through a field of flowers, honey bees buzzing around your head while you're picking different herbs freshly from the ground as you walk along. Warm summer air fills your nostrils. A bit further down the path, you can see the tree line and a faint whiff reminds you of the darker forest that lies ahead.

So yeah, go get it. If you don't like it, you can always send your bottle to me. I'll accept it without compensation.

BertolucciKBertolucciK 3 months ago
Some fresh flowers with a metallic touch. Little bit of green. It is smooth and has a calming mood. Elegant and discreet. Signature scent.
Dan81Dan81 6 months ago
Sharp and metallic flowers. Scent itself is not similar to its original but there is an Egoiste vibe of uncompromising expression of "self"
ElysiumElysium 8 months ago
Less powerful and less clear-cut than Égoïste, but brilliant. A fern-green eau de toilette. An energetic accord of fresh and aromatic notes.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
Original Egoiste is miles better than this one. To be fair this one is a completely different take on Egoiste, so it's not just a flanker.
RocendrollRocendroll 2 years ago
[Może być] Chłodny, elegancki, świeży, z klasą.

by Zora
by Zora
by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13
Signaturduft Herr Lavendel :)
by Lavendel18
Chanel -  Platinum Égoïste (1993) | Cold as ice | it's not the vodka tv commercial spot ;-)
by Dunki
by Dunki
Chanel -  Platinum Égoïste (1993)
by Morpheus1
Chanel -  Platinum Égoïste (1993)| in platinum style | Es war der Duft vom verstorbenen Rapper Notorious B.I.G. aka Biggie Smalls. Während sein größter Rivale 2Pac Shakur wohl Dior bevorzugte.
by OvidiuH
Chanel -  Platinum Égoïste (1993)
by TomDuft
by Night88
by Echtdufte
by Echtdufte

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel