Platinum Égoïste (1993)Eau de Toilette

Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1993. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is still in production.

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesLavender, Neroli, Petitgrain, Rosemary
Heart Notes Heart NotesGalbanum, Geranium, Jasmine, Clary sage
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 08.08.2020.

The Sharp One
Egoiste was my very first perfume that I wore. I was a teenager and it was definitely heavier than what my peers were wearing. Then came Platinum Egoiste a few years later. It was fresh, metallic and blossoming with a spark that made my teenage heart believe it was more modern and sharp. I switched from Egoiste to Egoiste Platinum as I was eager to appear more mature.

Fast forward 20 years. I had gone through multiple different and "modern" perfumes and then I spend another ten years nearly never wearing colognes for work reasons. When I was able to enjoy fragrances again, I realize my old Egoiste bottle had been long gone but my Egoiste Platinum had survived the multiple changes in countries and cities. It unfortunately did not get stored in the dark or cool place. So most of the top notes are gone and has a piercing ethanol smell but the heart and base notes were alive. I was curious to compare the new and old Platinum Egoiste side by side, albeit the old one has been spoiled a bit so I purchased the new Platinum. With the reformulation, comparison is even more obscure but I feel the metallic coldness that I felt with the old Platinum may be much more rounder and warmer in the new platinum, but it is still very fresh.

I do feel the platinum does smell a little dated in comparison to other modern fragrance, however it is still very charming. I now appreciate how Platinum is so absolutely different from Egoiste itself the original in terms of scents, yet I feel they both accomplish to illustrate an Egoiste : the original feels more warm overall but you know he doesn't care anybody but himself. Platinum appears fresh and easily approachable, but it has metallic coldness that signals he is an Egoiste who is stylish and doesn't mind to play nice with others but do not compromise who he is. I believe Egoiste and Egoiste platinum will always remain fascinating for me.
The Companion
The "One"
Who does not know the myth of the signature scent In search of security, individuality and masculinity. A fragrance that is always there, like family or friends.
It becomes loud when it gets hot, it caresses you in quiet moments.
It has the quality for a signature scent.

How would I describe the fragrance from a layman's perspective?
Initially fresh, spicy, green dry then clean after expensive soap. "No sweet powdery scent."

First of all, it is not a party clubbing scent, but it does have the potency for a flirt in everyday life.
The age group he addresses is currently at Ü30, so my feeling is.
Is really, as so often described, the cool water for adults.
If U30 people feel addressed, then please, allowed is what pleases. He's worth getting to know.
Dislikers would describe it as old-fashioned, but these are the ones who complain when a 69 Ford Mustang has no servo or electric windows.
I would even wear it to a funeral, which for some would be a knockout criterion right now.
For me a testimony of his quality for a real Daily.
As he performed in summer I can't say, the love is still fresh ;-)
In general I quickly reach working temperature (I am a craftsman).
And he's doing pretty good.
So nu is but good....

P. P.
Thanks to Fresh21 for the impulse to write a comment.

SHARP
The best way I can describe the olfactory experience with PE would be..

imagine you harvested a bunch of lavender off the field, cut them up and put them into a stainless steel box. Next, you pour water on top of them till all are soaked, after that you put the box into a freezer for a week.
When you get the ice cube out, you grind them up into a slushy texture and serve it into a rock.
Finally, pour a half cup of fine grey goose on top

Voila, that should approximate what platinum egoiste smells like
Lush, calming, ice-cold, sharp, intimidating, sparkly

The nobler cool water
Am I the only one here who thinks that Platinum Egoiste smells similar to Davidof's cool water?! PE smells more noble and metallic, but otherwise very similar. Very well suited for the office, actually I only use it there. I even got an (indirect) compliment from my boss, and he never actually gives compliments (although hardly anyone in my office wears perfume): "I don't know who it is, but somebody smells very good here.".
So if someone really doesn't know the scent yet, he just has to imagine cool water in something more noble.
Great durability, by the way.

Only for real Men
My workday was over. As usual, I went to sephora to smell some fragrances. After my nose was knocked-out, I decided to smell one last fragrance. I thought that the last one should be a real hero to tickle my senses. I grabbed Chanel Platinum Egoiste. As soon as I smelled it, it felt like something else. I had to spray it on my skin and see how it would go. It developed into a very elegant, charming, manly scent. Earthy, green and elegant smell. This thing smells like a real man who won't look back. Never. I left the perfumery and got home. After 2-3 hours, the egoiste was still projecting. Not beastly, but I was still able to feel it. And pretty good. Longevity ? 9+ hours for me. I think it must be used only for special occasions and by real & mature men. Nothing casual. Blind buy is out of the question. I have to put my hands on this one. And soon. Highly recommended !
Overall rating : 8/10

Chrisdl
A must-have for all. Go get it!
After all these years Platinum Egoiste still makes heads turn. "Mmm, you smell great. What is it? I could eat you!" I'm not sure if I'm quite ripe enough to be eaten, but this Chanel is something else, though.

It's one of those scents that you should have in your possession, no matter what. You'll use it, you'll love it, people will love it. But... How exactly does it smell?
At first spray, you'll be bombarded by a metallic blast mixed with lovely neroli. On your skin, it'll smell like you've just come from a bathtub, liberally soaked in bath salts.

Those aromas quickly make way for the longer lasting center. It is as if you're walking barefoot through a field of flowers, honey bees buzzing around your head while you're picking different herbs freshly from the ground as you walk along. Warm summer air fills your nostrils. A bit further down the path, you can see the tree line and a faint whiff reminds you of the darker forest that lies ahead.

So yeah, go get it. If you don't like it, you can always send your bottle to me. I'll accept it without compensation.
Chanel Platinum Egoiste comes with you to the desert island
Do I have to lose a lot of words in the headline? Chanel Platinum Egoiste is together with Heaven from Chopard one of my two Lifetime signature fragrances. It's hard for me to concentrate on that as I'm lying relaxed on the bed wrapped in a cloud of steam from a Heaven Dupe and Joops Nightflight and wallowing away.
You know what. I'll leave it at that. This will be a slightly longer statement:
Platinum is still available unlike Heaven. Go to Douglas or Karstadt and let yourself be intoxicated by this classically modern and cool luxury fragrance. Yeah, intoxicate.

Unless you're into sweet bubble gum punches, you won't regret it.
This perfume is a world-class milestone of cool, fresh elegance. An addict.
Also reformulated, so much next to it can simply wrap up.
The beginning
My first comment must of course be on my first true scent revelation! It was about 1995, I was a 11 year old youngster like I used to be every day at my neighbours or my best friend's home and how to do that you go into the rooms of the bigger siblings... there we were in the room of his big sister we looked at her cd collection and next to it stood at least 50 miniflacons of various perfumes my eye fell somehow directly to egoiste Platinum and I opened the small and smelled on it and it would have me away this special fragrance was different than anything I knew! (father an Azzaro pour Homme man and grandpa a Tabac carrier) I had Old Spice because I liked the advertising already as a small pimf and it smelled clean after man what I knew from my men in the family so! Chanel I knew only from my grandmother and until then I thought the make women's products

CHANEL Best for men
Top Notes: Freshness
Middle Notes: Aromatic
Base Notes: Love Combination

IMO, This fragrance show good performance with perfect projection and long lasting.
Aromatic, Clean all seasons perfume for all occasions.
I'm very recommend for this perfume.

My score to this perfume: 8

Cold & Metallic.
Of course my opinion is very subjective here... but this is not an easy one to like for me. I find the opening a little harsh, although the dry-down is really good. I think it's a mixed feeling for me. I think the quality is good (it's Chanel). To me it seems like a very high class, very formal version of Acqua di Gio. I find Acqua di Gio very playful, but I wouldn't wear it with a suit. This I would. Definitely. Overall it's not bad at all, I think it would smell good to most people. For me I find it a little metallic and cold (the geranium note?), and I often like my fragrances very warm and a little sensual, so I think for me I'm not too crazy about this as other people are. But I respect that this is very high quality smelling and would make a great impression with a suit in my opinion. So I just hope that what I've said here helps!

Dan81Dan81 88 days ago
Sharp and metallic flowers. Scent itself is not similar to its original but there is an Egoiste vibe of uncompromising expression of "self"
ElysiumElysium 138 days ago
Less powerful and less clear-cut than Égoïste, but brilliant. A fern-green eau de toilette. An energetic accord of fresh and aromatic notes.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 19 months ago
Original Egoiste is miles better than this one. To be fair this one is a completely different take on Egoiste, so it's not just a flanker.
RocendrollRocendroll 23 months ago
[Może być] Chłodny, elegancki, świeży, z klasą.

by Zora
by Zora
Signaturduft Herr Lavendel :)
by Lavendel18
by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13
Chanel -  Platinum Égoïste (1993) | Cold as ice | it's not the vodka tv commercial spot ;-)
by Dunki
by Dunki
Chanel -  Platinum Égoïste (1993)
by Morpheus1
Chanel -  Platinum Égoïste (1993)| in platinum style | Es war der Duft vom verstorbenen Rapper Notorious B.I.G. aka Biggie Smalls. Während sein größter Rivale 2Pac Shakur wohl Dior bevorzugte.
by OvidiuH
Chanel -  Platinum Égoïste (1993)
by TomDuft
by Night88
by Echtdufte
by Echtdufte

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel 1957 by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel 31 Rue Cambon (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel