Pour Monsieur 2014Eau de Parfum

Pour Monsieur (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 2014. The scent is citrusy-chypre. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Jacques Polge

Submitted by IrisMann, last update on 08.11.2020.

According to our information, this scent is meant to replace Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) starting from 2014. As this happened without any announcement from Chanel, it is not possible to state whether Pour Monsieur (Eau de Parfum) comes up as a mere renaming of Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) or an actual formula/concentration adjustment.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel, which differs in concentration.

Salva
(M)An access to chypre scents...
You know what that is? You have the feeling that a certain brand is missing in your collection, the collection feels somehow incomplete (without this brand) and therefore you have the urge to take a bottle from a certain house? That's what happened to me personally for a while with Chanel...

At the beginning of my time here the Bleu de Chanel EdP was in my collection for a long time, before I parted with it at some point due to its rather weak durability with a heavy heart. On the long search for a new Chanel fragrance I came across the Pour Monsieur EdP here.

The Pour Monsieur EdP is known as the Chypre fragrance. At first, I didn't know what "chypre" meant in terms of perfume at all. Although I was aware that the term is the French term for the Mediterranean island of Cyprus. But I couldn't make any sense of scents. So my research didn't take long...

The origin of the term goes back to the perfumer François Coty and his creation 'Chypre' in 1917. Mr. Coty's fragrance at the time was probably mainly comprised notes found in countries around the Mediterranean. That's how he named his fragrance after the island of Cyprus (why exactly Cyprus, of all places, I haven't figured out; theoretically, it could have been any other Mediterranean country, but here goes).

Basically, chypre fragrances are categorised into fresh-citric top notes and woody-moossy base notes. This contrast usually characterizes fragrances that contain the word "chypre" [...]

When I ordered a bottling from this Pour Monsieur EdP here, I was naturally very excited, as I had no previous experience with chypre-like waters. I tested my sample right away and was quickly taken with the scent, so that I was able to fill a bottle quickly. Why? Because right from the start I found it very pleasant, smooth and pleasant to the touch.

The start of Pour Monsieur EdP consists precisely of this hesperidic chord mentioned earlier, and mainly of a soft fruity tangerine note. But at the same time I perceive lavender, which gives the beginning a woodsy-floral touch in addition to the citric-fruity freshness. Lavender is one of the notes that is especially used in chypre or so-called lavender. Fougère fragrances. So the fragrance begins for my nose very pleasantly fresh.

After a short while, the citrus fruitiness gradually recedes to make room for another herbaceous-spicy impact in the middle, which further emphasizes the lavender character, supported by nutmeg. The spiciness is also slightly enhanced by cardamom.

The typical mossiness in this fragrance is perceived in the base through the oak moss, which makes the fragrance earthy and mossy. Vetiver is also responsible for the strong, earthy nuance in the base, which makes the fragrance woody-balsamic. Personally, I like the added minimal sweetness of vanilla as well. I find the combination with the woody notes very successful.

Except in midsummer, when it would be too woody and a bit warm in the base, you can wear it in every season and on every occasion. In my experience it is also very well received by people in the area and is usually always positively received.
I am more than satisfied with the durability with about 6h on my skin. You don't need to worry about a giant sillage cloud (if you don't want one), because this Pour Monsieur EdP is more like one that stays in the background and keeps a low profile.
Conclusion:
The Pour Monsieur EdP has a very dynamic scent that has given me access to chypre scents. Through him I have learned to appreciate and love scents of this category. In my eyes this Monsieur is a very easy to like chypre, which I can recommend to anyone who wants to approach this genre. Because of the mild vanilla in the base I can imagine that he could appeal to many people who are sceptical about mossy scents.

For my part, I am glad to have finally found a Chanel that I not only like very much, but also has a decent durability.

Because unfortunately some of the men's channels lack a little bit of stamina, and with their slightly higher prices you can expect a little bit more in this respect...
[...]

Many thanks for reading it!

INDIGOSPHINX
You know you are wearing a Chanel
Of my short fragrance wearing career, I have realized something spectral about the charm in Chanel fragrances.

My very first Chanel fragrance was Bleu EDT. The OG formulation, it can last a week on my clothes with no problem with 2-3 sprays, monstrous projection that is compatible with Sauvage EDT :D Sadly, I gave it away to a friend because I think I'm allergic to some ingredient in it. It always give me a "sore throat." Literally

The next one was AHSEE and then after that PE... I eventually sold both because they do not perform too well
Next, I turned to other brands and promised myself I will never "waste" my money on chanel's lackluster performers.
I tried Dior Guerlain Hermes etc. Sure, pretty much all of them perform better than Chanel frags for their price if not the same performance.
But eventually, I switched back to Chanel.

I think the reason I did is somehow within the charm in this particular fragrance.
What's so interesting about a Chanel fragrance is that... when you wear it, when people ask you, you don't have to tell them you are wearing a Chanel. Even if nobody in the world knows you are wearing a Chanel fragrance, you know. And that luxurious and self-indulgent feeling of wearing one really makes you somehow view yourself in a different lense.

I can work a little harder and do a better job, after all, I am wearing a Chanel fragrance.
Sometimes I think more than the brand name, this brand really reminds you that the luxury is not in the product but in yourself.
So yes, I won't care if Niche houses cost a lot more than a Chanel fragrance. To me, this fragrance is the ultimate luxury.

For PM EDP
I have never met a creation like this. It smells like all of the individual notes at once. The creaminess of vanilla, the comforting trail of lavender, the sharpness of a lemon peel, and the warm nutmeg.
Sure, this does not project too well, but now I think a lot of the frags within this house are designed to sit closer to the skin. It's designed to project enough to let the people you really care to smell you but not so loud that you are self-conscious of the fact that you are perfumed.

I love it.
ZrankFappa
My first good chypre perfume! Merci bien, Chanel!
My first good chypre perfume! Merci bien, Chanel!

The directions citric, vanilla, chypre, powdery are actually among the notes I can't stand until now.
For the fact that I am a man, I consider myself firstly relatively young and secondly for my manageable perfume experience not "ready" in the sense of demanding, experienced, tolerant.
I'm also a woodcutter and garden type, so I can show it in a simple way.

But for that even I must realize: This fragrance is an extremely exquisite brew, it surely puts 95% of all flowery, sweet, vanilla, chypre fragrances loosely in your pocket, e.g. the terrible over-candidate Dior Homme which I almost became diabetic with, but which was quite nice as a carnival effect,
Comparatively Antaeus is not quite so good but rather mine,
and also Morabit Or Black is by far not so refined.

PS:
I washed my arm with clear water 10 minutes after application. Actually, I was shocked and done. But it still smells and now I'm almost only done.
Now even better and more balanced. And very tasty! Chapeau!

Delicious. Here less is more, because more is already much, and almost too much. So it is also productive.

It is definitely in the test the surprise of the last few months, and for me something like an experience.

I will keep the specimen contrary to my first consideration and use it as a test to hunt the noble woman.

Wow, my first good sweet perfume!
And what a grandiose reparation for the chemical warfare agent "Bleu".

Merci Bien, Chanel!
Merci Monsieur!
At this point I would like to express my sincere thanks to Monsieur Polge senior! Merci Monsieur! Even though he probably will never read this comment.
I know, own and appreciate some of his creations, which I consider to be very successful throughout. Fragrances of most different kind, for most different occasions and seasons (I pay quite a bit attention to what could fit to what) and for me there is none, which I would not buy again and again.
Allure Homme is and remains "my" favourite fragrance, but when I think about which Chanel-Jacques-Polge creation should also have a high place in the ranking, I also think of Pour Monsieur EdP.

This is a fragrance with very good manners. It is friendly and cheerful with tangerine and lavender in the opening, despite a certain seriousness, which is underlined by petitgrain and oakmoss and opoponax flashing through quite early. The spices underline the line between cheerful and serious very well and make sure that it is not exaggerated in either direction.
Monsieur Polge has succeeded excellently in transferring the classic chypre theme (hesperidic top note, flowery heart note, woody and musky base note) into modernity. The flowery heart note would not have fitted so well here and was replaced by a spicy heart note. However, this spicy heart note is not too dominant, otherwise the fragrance would become too serious.

I like all this very much. Pour Monsieur doesn't fall into the house with the door, he announces himself gently and cuddly, remains on a rather quiet level and keeps his well-behaved charm all the time.
In my opinion, this is a fragrance that is perfectly suited for the job. He does not fill the entire office floor, remains constantly pleasant and friendly, and can very well accompany an important business appointment. And should a negotiation fail, it is definitely not due to Pour Monsieur.
Suit and tie are beautiful companions to the fragrance, but jeans and casual shirt make themselves just as good Pour Monsieur.

A small point of criticism should not go unmentioned. For an eau de parfum the shelf life could be a little better. After 5-6 hours the friendly gentleman said goodbye. Now that's the only thing I could blame him for. There is no such thing as perfection.
The rather reserved projection is very pleasant for me, because I have a lot of customer contact and don't want to bother anyone with strong scent clouds.
The flacon design is kept very simple and actually matches the fragrance. Many frills and kitschy design would have been disturbing.
I just sprayed some Pour Monsieur on again and feel good all around with this pleasant and really good perfume.
I also know the much earlier Eau de Toilette and like it with pleasure, but I feel more attracted to the Eau de Parfum.

Encore une fois: Merci beaucoup Monsieur Polge! Très bon!

IanFriedrichIanFriedrich 3 years ago
There is something special on P.M. that I found out.
It's sophisticated & timeless scent, but u won't feel the scent too old.
OPomoneOPomone 5 years ago
Forget the sad EdT Concentrée.
This new EdP is brighter, more roguish and melodious.
Somewhat as if Chanel had moved from Salieri to Mozart.

Mein ewiger Kaiser! In all seinen Gewändern seit 1984™
by Couchlock
by Drakecito
by Drakecito

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel 1957 by Chanel