Le Lion de Chanel 2020

Top 74 in Women's Perfume
Le Lion de Chanel is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 2020. The scent is resinous-smoky. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Olivier Polge

Top Notes Top NotesLemonLemon BergamotBergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesLabdanumLabdanum Bourbon vanillaBourbon vanilla
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwoodSandalwood PatchouliPatchouli

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 26.05.2022.

Xanthon
Does this one make younger Polge the new wizard?
Animalic? A bit!
Majestic? Maybe!
Amber? Kind of!
Unisex? No doubt!
Elegant? For sure!
Lasts? Forever!

Brief:
A wonderful pick-me-up animalic opening which subsides in a few minutes, never failing to put a smile on my face. Then, as most people call it, labdanum stays forever in an elegant way, hugely presentable.

My thoughts: (with a slight focus on Chanel as a brand)

The first time I sniffed Le lion, all my memories of (hindi) Oud conjured up, which is too inaccessible to be used even for Le exclusif's line. Frederic Malle tried it and is selling oud-based perfume (The Night) at about 5 times the price of this Chanel. Then, there is that uncontrollable barnyard aspect in oud oil, that basis your skin chemistry can make you either repulsive or adorable. While oud is hugely popular in Arab markets, it's unfamiliar to Western noses. And, for the lack of any better association, it reminds of an unpleasant fecal smell. The fun stops here! Now, the wizardry is to replicate a similar smell while tackling challenges of being prohibitively expensive, unpleasant associations, and subjective effect.

Now, Chanel is a brand that keeps things in a certain style - LUXURY. Primarily, the sense of luxury is abstract, and in today's fragrance market, perhaps, Chanel has the monopoly on this word, maybe along with Dior. (Yes, there are many other Niche players, but I don't suppose most people who live luxury lifestyle are perfume enthusiasts. They probably wear Gucci, or Dior, drive Masseratis, or Bentleys, and prefer Chanel or Jo Malone (sad I know!) as perfume).

What Chanel does brilliantly is serving up the newly innovated or even old fragrance styles in a highly presentable unique Chanel way. Case-in-point: Coromandel (a Borne 1834 in Chanel's interpretation), Eau de Cologne (a cologne to end all), Sycomore (a reinterpretation of Timbuktu or even Guerlain Vetiver). Not to say, Chanel does not innovate. Perhaps, No 5 is a famously towering masterpiece, which arguably built Chanel style. Others can be Pour monsieur (reference masculine Chypre), Cuir de Russie (a leather in an elegant Chanel way), or even Bois des Iles (a take on Sandalwood and by the way, Egoiste is spicier version which I much prefer over BdI). This list is also not short!

Famously, Sheldrake made Ambre Sultan, an Amber to end all others. And, as is the case with the Niche industry, the products are mostly experimental, which basis the level of artistry of the perfumer can be masterpieces. But from the market perspective, it commands a very small part of the market namely enthusiasts, who love the perfume in its truest form rather than as an accessory.

Coming to Le Lion, this seems like an attempt to create an amber in the Chanel way. But to my amateur nose, it also is not far from oud but in a presentable form for the western world. Either way, it is beautiful.

If you look at how the BIG ones in Le exclusifs have faired over the years. It's easy to see that Cuir de Russie has proven as a perennial charmer in any form. Coromandel or even Sycomore, while comparatively recent releases, has sustained market interest in their short 15 years of existence and could claim the mighty title of classic masterpieces some day.

Does it belong to the league of Chanel towering masterpieces?
While the world was split at the time of the launch of Le lion, now, the market is on the verge of a verdict. Chanel is pushing Le Lion strongly in the market, but does it lack the charisma of the top contender in the niche market? In sad words, even with Chanel's unmistakable elegance, maybe. As a personal preference, I find it charming than most other offerings in the line!

Now to Mr. Polge (junior), undoubtedly a master perfumer of great talent, with his groundbreaking fragrance Dior Homme in 2005 and many others in the mass market, Le exclusifs is a special range, please don't overcrowd it. Bring more like CdR, EdC, or massively popular Sycomore, and Coromandel! Charm of the Boy was short lived, and Le Lion might be other dud in the market. There is no question, it is undoubtedly tremendously hard to build masterpieces. Let's keep this line neat and long-term. People love Chanel because too many choices are never fun!

Should Have Been Named Equus
This is astonishing. It is absolutely gorgeous. The birch tar opening is so raw it almost smells like electric wires burning. I was taken aback for a moment. But then it calms down and I get the smell of a horse saddle. A well tooled, well worn, horse saddle. A saddle made of the finest leather money can buy. And it is sprinkled with amber, and spices, and myrrh, and citrus. And it is dusty. And there is a horse in the saddle. And the horse is running wild. He escaped his owner, and he is off. He is running through the forest, racing through the brush, passing campfires and getting covered in their smoke. And I can smell this animal. I can smell this wild wonderful beast. And I am overwhelmed by his beauty. At a total loss for words.

Big surprise here
Resinous à la Grand Soir MFK-comforting fragrance. Instantly fell in love with!
It opens with citrus but soon it becomes an ambre scent with that typical Chanel vibe. Very well done & absolutely well blended. The citrus stays on the background while the ambre - resinous + the typical chanel vibe are taking the main act throughout this magical, warm, seductive play! A must have !!!

Roaring Oriental
Chanel Le Lion is simply brilliant and one of the best (if not the best) releases of 2020.

For me this is a dry amber-oriental! You get a bright opening because of the lemon quickly transforming into a dark smoky, ambery, resinous heart. There is also a presence of vanilla, but only as a supporting note. Never dominant. Same counts for the patchouli that makes it’s way during the drydown, but never too prominent. A well orchestrated symphony of notes!

Smoky and ambery are key in experiencing Le Lion!

Projection and sillage are also off the chart!

DoctorIon
An unexciting perfume with a brilliant name.
"Le Lion de Chanel" fails to impress.
It is Chanel's proposal to a very specific market of heavy orientals with a pronounced labdanum, oud, leather, smoky "whatever-ness" which lacks distinction and uniqueness.
So many niche brands have one (or more) perfumes of the same kind and do rather well, so I can understand the motivation behind this release but for me personally, this one is a failure not because it is worse than the rest (not at all),  but because it presents itself last, without adding anything new to the picture.
I can see an abstract correlation to the amazing "Coromandel" (which I prefer without any hesitation) but it is the legendary "Shalimar" that mainly inspires the composition here (yes, we still use lemon to balance the heavy oriental base of the formula) but if you ask me,  "Shalimar" is a better perfume in all possible ways!
Having said that, "Le Lion de Chanel" is well-blended and surpasses almost all other niche proposals of this type that I know of, so go ahead and test it for yourself - but as a blind buy, I simply can't recommended it at any price.
Désolé..
Polge's trip to Italy
Since it's first time everything out what's in it, slays you, and when the alcohol has evaporated comes slowly order pure. This is for me a really good perfume. So also Le Lion.

Initially, I thought the perfume you already know. There is already in very similar form. But which one?
Shalimar with the previous comments compare it?
It's not entirely far-fetched under a very analytical scrutiny. The citrus vanilla accord is indeed an (initial) parallel.
But still, I don't associate it with anything other than - Prada Amber - from 2004, which yes, unlike Shalimar, is also on a labdanum/cistus/patch/vanilla base like Le Lion is now.

But I find Le Lion as less intense, and softer, and phenomenal that a floral accord in the house of Chanel once does not dominate, or is not present.

As a leather fragrance, I do not feel it. Leather scent is for me -Cuir de Russie- , and especially the Extrait.

For me, this is perhaps a softer, revised, so softer Prada Amber, but not necessarily better. Both are very nice fragrances. But it does surprise me that Chanel years later brings such a similar fragrance on the market.

Who loves Prada Amber, will certainly also love Le Lion. It may be a subjective feeling, but nothing reminds me personally of Shalimar.
Kimm40
At least the gold Rolex must be....
... to capture you with all force.

Leo, the radiant majesty among the zodiac signs, flaunting with radiance, in his younger years very inclined to femininity in hot nights, grows up and matures. He knows about his powers of display, he likes to flirt, drive a Porsche, wear a Rolex, and the more mature he becomes, the more he has to flaunt and show off his masculinity. And yet he's tamable without losing his soft golden heart, which makes him stunning. And majesty still shines, even when he has come to rest.

Coco Chanel was a lioness and had immense creativity and radiance in all things in life, this fragrance suits her when she was charting her courses and on a course of conquest and success. She was passionate and created so many classics, I love her style, cih love some fragrances by ihe, not all .....you hear it, as a dreamy little fish I love the Chanel brand.

Did Coco need a time out, then she took my beloved Beige, she said Beige brings me to rest.....and Beige has been my classic for many years.

Le Lion is just the opposite...

For me, Le Lion is a wicked oriental slaying spice bomb that makes one dream of sultry hot nights of love with an oligarch on a luxury hunt....

Do I find Coromandel already very sensual and erotic, so here is even more hidden in eroticism and sensuality in it.

It reminds me of a fragrance by Amouage, I just don't know which one, I didn't buy it at the time because it was too spicy for me in the delivery.

Le Lion keeps its sultriness, but becomes very round in the course with me and it remains so, I find it beautiful.

Think, however, that it is rather a fragrance for the more mature in the noble outfit and with a lot of style and class, with the back door to the forbidden.....

I myself could never get comfortable with Shalimar, even more so with leather, but this combination here is beautiful, so extravagant, so mature, so round, a bit bitter, leathery and a certain sweetness paired and fused with 1001 night spice oils.

Certainly not a fragrance for all days, but a fragrance for the grand entrance, for the evening, for a great love.
For me to be worn by man and woman, best still as crowned majesties, because the king of the animal kingdom needs a queen who hunts him down with femininity and whom he adores and worships, then he is tamed without losing his majestic masculine charisma.

This is what fragrance tells me.....

Very successful, very distinctive, very nice, very good in durability and very nice in progression to the end....

Chapeau Chanel
Chapeau Olivier Polge
NikEy
Polge's interpretation of one of the greatest perfume classics
To create a new interpretation based on something that already exists always leaves room for the shadow of the existing and for criticism. But in the same breath, it also honors the greatness of the original, elevating the creativity of the original creator to a new level. While Chanel doesn't cite a reference here, many of you perfumos will have come across a truly great perfume classic that was one of the founders of its genre: citrus, powder, vanilla and resin. A pioneer of the Western definition of Orient: Shalimar!

The structure of Le Lion and its comparison to Guerlain's Shalimar came to me immediately after spraying it on. Especially the radiant citrus head in combination with powder and resin, immediately makes a clear connection for me. It's the overall structure rather than the individual notes in each case. With labdanum, Chanel manages to incorporate an entirely different variation of resin. Often relatively tart and naturally with a dirty, grungy quality, the cistus resin here adds a distinct, almost masculine bass. The combination with vanilla can best be described as a disreputable (smoky) dark powder a lá Chanel-DNA. Draws clearer edges than the opoponax in Shalimar, which can come across as equally animalic in its own way. Whether the subtle earthy tones here are more due to labdanum or patchouli, I can't make out, but I can make out a flattering impression of leather, which comes along without the classic synthetics.

I like the nod to Guerlain's classic. Le Lion seems darker, edgier and altogether more modern. Unisex and in any case for all men who may not have dared to wear Shalimar so far, but actually liked him.
As a small drawback, I personally notice only the very intense sillage, which is almost atypical for a Chanel Exclusif and makes the fragrance relatively difficult to dose. A slightly more discreet impression would have done him good.

Chanelle
...awakens the tiger in you!
If I had to take a blind test, I'd have guerlain. The first chanel to go to the djedi. Djedi is not mine in the slightest, no matter how highly praised and glorified he is, but fortunately Le Lion only goes in that direction and eventually slows down. I find this to be quite positive.
First things first.
The top note is just as I would have dreamed of the Rammstein fragrances:
Leathery dirty.
As un-Coco as it gets, but still slightly oriental, so likeable.
The further development has slight hints of my favourite luten, the Fumerie Turque, still a bit leathery, but slowly already spicy incense sticks.
No flowers far and wide, just dry, burnt spices on a leather bed. What a nice surprise from Chanel, whose non-exclusive fragrances are becoming more and more popular and mainstream.
And yes, i recognize shalimar dna too. Bergamot is involved, vanilla also appears at some point, makes the fragrance rounder and actually more wearable for little Chanelli.
This is the fragrance for the hard, fun-less, hopefully never repeating Covid winter 2020.
He rips me out of my lethargy and gives me headaches. Vintage Esso commercial. Roar.
"Leather Shalimar" ....
May one talk about an "exclusive" in the way I would actually like to do it? Probably not ;-).....

I will now pull myself together and try to present my impressions as objectively as possible......but still, the reader may allow me at least THIS one exception:

The smell makes me sick.
The same nausea that affects me with Shalimar.

At this point it should also be mentioned that LE LION shows clear Shalimar reminiscences....

LE LION starts with a dominant, cool-bitter bergamot note...... almost immediately followed by the first clear leather impression.....whereby this is concretely evoked, I am not yet really...... partly due to Labdanum, which appears here in abundance..... but can Labdanum alone conjure up such a leathery impression? I do not know.....

Although the leather impression for my nose seems to be masculine throughout (in the absence of any flowers), I still don't find it rustic at all or rough.....I rather think of expensive, elegant, deer-colored smooth leather, as it is often found in luxury cars.....or luxurious deer-colored briefcases, belts or shoes of the well-groomed gentleman on his way to a business meeting......that the leather does not appear black or dark brown to me, but rather "deer brown", may have something to do with the vanilla, which in combination with labdanum produces a resinous-sweet background noise........by the way, it also smokes a little here ;-)....

Little by little sandalwood and patchouli are added........where I notice patchouli much more......

In the course of further fragrance development, the initial shalimar impression finally disappears.....

All in all, LE LION is a resinous-sweetish scent for my nose with a smoky trail and a bitter aftertaste..... and: ZUMINDEST unisex......

My evaluation consists of two parts:

Rating of the creation itself: 8
Personal favor: 4

SmellGoodGuySmellGoodGuy 12 days ago
First impression: Hard pass. It's warm outside and a bit humid, so maybe it's me. To be continued...
XanthonXanthon 2 months ago
Le lion, while with delicious opening, has an unfinished dry-down. I much prefer nuanced, mysterious, masterful dry-down of Coromandel.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 6 months ago
Citrusy opening with a soft earthy/woody patchouli. Then, a light animalic leather, spicy and smoky. Ambery, slightly powdery drydown.
MariaSMariaS 6 months ago
Great perfume! It’s leathery powdery with some citruses. Longevity and sillage are great!
EstbienlaEstbienla 6 months ago
Real Chanel, warm and deep, a labdanum/vanilla wrap. Well done
Jbl775Jbl775 8 months ago
Heavy amber and labdanum to create a gorgeous symphony that lasts for hours and hours. Great value for money, an upcoming winter gem.
MrKaraMrKara 8 months ago
Opens bright with lemon and bergamot and quickly transforms into a dark smoky, powdery, ambery fragrance. Longevity is amazing as well.
Ka3nKa3n 11 months ago
Magnificent fragrance, carries very little similarities to Shalimar, only faint resemblance. Best Chanel's work in years for exclusives
MarabuntaMarabunta 12 months ago
This scent gets better and better over the months. Complex yet versatile. Deep yet easy going. In the same vein of Derby & New York Intense.
MrLimuzinMrLimuzin 1 year ago
Just going off the bottle sprayer and the tiniest dab on my hand, not a thorough test, but it reminds me of Roja Parfums Fetish Pour Homme

by LadyLuxifer
by Jbl775
by Estbienla
by Estbienla

Popular by Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Parfum) by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel