Le Lion de Chanel 2020

Le Lion de Chanel is a new perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 2020. The scent is resinous-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average.

Olivier Polge

Top Notes Top NotesLemon, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesLabdanum, Madagascan vanilla
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Patchouli

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 26.11.2020.

Chanelle
...awakens the tiger in you!
If I had to take a blind test, I'd have guerlain. The first chanel to go to the djedi. Djedi is not mine in the slightest, no matter how highly praised and glorified he is, but fortunately Le Lion only goes in that direction and eventually slows down. I find this to be quite positive.
First things first.
The top note is just as I would have dreamed of the Rammstein fragrances:
Leathery dirty.
As un-Coco as it gets, but still slightly oriental, so likeable.
The further development has slight hints of my favourite luten, the Fumerie Turque, still a bit leathery, but slowly already spicy incense sticks.
No flowers far and wide, just dry, burnt spices on a leather bed. What a nice surprise from Chanel, whose non-exclusive fragrances are becoming more and more popular and mainstream.
And yes, i recognize shalimar dna too. Bergamot is involved, vanilla also appears at some point, makes the fragrance rounder and actually more wearable for little Chanelli.
This is the fragrance for the hard, fun-less, hopefully never repeating Covid winter 2020.
He rips me out of my lethargy and gives me headaches. Vintage Esso commercial. Roar.
"Leather Shalimar" ....
May one talk about an "exclusive" in the way I would actually like to do it? Probably not ;-).....

I will now pull myself together and try to present my impressions as objectively as possible......but still, the reader may allow me at least THIS one exception:

The smell makes me sick.
The same nausea that affects me with Shalimar.

At this point it should also be mentioned that LE LION shows clear Shalimar reminiscences....

LE LION starts with a dominant, cool-bitter bergamot note...... almost immediately followed by the first clear leather impression.....whereby this is concretely evoked, I am not yet really...... partly due to Labdanum, which appears here in abundance..... but can Labdanum alone conjure up such a leathery impression? I do not know.....

Although the leather impression for my nose seems to be masculine throughout (in the absence of any flowers), I still don't find it rustic at all or rough.....I rather think of expensive, elegant, deer-colored smooth leather, as it is often found in luxury cars.....or luxurious deer-colored briefcases, belts or shoes of the well-groomed gentleman on his way to a business meeting......that the leather does not appear black or dark brown to me, but rather "deer brown", may have something to do with the vanilla, which in combination with labdanum produces a resinous-sweet background noise........by the way, it also smokes a little here ;-)....

Little by little sandalwood and patchouli are added........where I notice patchouli much more......

In the course of further fragrance development, the initial shalimar impression finally disappears.....

All in all, LE LION is a resinous-sweetish scent for my nose with a smoky trail and a bitter aftertaste..... and: ZUMINDEST unisex......

My evaluation consists of two parts:

Rating of the creation itself: 8
Personal favor: 4
Very biting lion
At the beginning it is scratchy fire smoke, later resin and patchouli are added. Softer. Very bold and a completely new Chanel scent; unfortunately not quite mine. Reminds me of Replica By the fireplace!
So if you want to have something inconspicuously light for the background, you are in the wrong place. Campfire à la Chanel.
ParfumAholic
Well and loudly roared lion
Ever since I joined Parfumo, I've been really taken with the Les Exclusifs fragrances from Chanel. I appreciate the high quality and unagitated nature of the fragrances, which for me are classic and timeless. Just like the world-famous bouclé jackets and the 2.55 bags, they will probably never go out of fashion.
The fragrances are never loud or have extreme / special corners and edges. They seem to fit naturally into the Chanel cosmos and skilfully complement / round off the highly noble range.

And so it was of course clear that the new "Le Lion de Chanel" directly got a fixed place on my watch list. However, obtaining a sample / bottling turned out to be very difficult, as the fragrance was probably only launched in the Middle East at first. So I was all the more grateful to a dear perfuma who sold me a bottling.

Needless to say that I have not put off the scent test ;-))

Immediately after spraying on, heavy, dark and very smoky leather appears, which has probably also got some resinous stains. Leather is not listed in the fragrance pyramid, but I can't imagine that only the listed Labdanum could have such leathery properties.
I have to admit that this very opulent leather opening is almost too much for me. Also my thought (my hope) that this will be only briefly in the top note should prove to be wrong. I find this leather to be very brute and dominant. And it might not fit to Chanel at all for me. Rough leather boots / leather jackets to thin Chanel dresses or strict black and white looks might work as style-breakers, but then I would rather imagine the smell of fine suede.
Little by little, spicy patchouli is added, which only minimally reduces the somewhat coarse impression.
Olivier Polge then smuggles vanilla in through the back door. Smoky vanilla that makes me think directly of Shalimar. Not quite as powerful as Guerlain's classic, but a certain relationship cannot be denied So it smokes and steams around me for hours and I don't know exactly how to find it now. Actually I thought that the leather theme had had breakfast with Chanel's Cuir de Russie. Then why this leather scent? And as I indulge in this thought, the leather whip noticeably slackens and the scent changes into a warm, almost balsamic base. Here the smoky leather more or less well-behavedly classifies itself and now also leaves room for the vanilla (which has obviously lost its smokiness) to unfold. Despite all this, it won't be a cuddly scent, but rather a harmonious leather scent with a soft and unsweet vanilla base.
Just towards the end I like the Chanel Lion. Even though the scent still has a rather darker aura. This new one from Chanel is really different and leaves the known Chanel fragrance paths or adds new facets to them. The fragrance will not be part of my collection, but I like to acknowledge that one has dared to try something new.

by Gallerph
by Gallerph

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel