A rope shaped sweet jewel
A good restaurant must serve good food, but not only. A good chef must be a wonderful cook but also a skilled fine arts artist to compose a visual strong impression with any food dish he serves. The fragrance community demands the same. Looks are very important as well, and the brand signature begins in the flask and case presentation.
Charriol is a Swiss manufacturer of luxury watches and jewellery founded in 1983 by French entrepreneur - Philippe Charriol. It produces expensive fashion jewelry, watches, accessories and fragrances. With this type of background you may expect beautiful flask designs, like it is also the case of Bvlgari and Lalique. All the Charriol bottles I own are very stylish, and Charriol pour Homme EDP is not an exception. Philippe Charriol, an art and history lover, was the first jeweler to use gold entangled cables, or steel cables, as decorative motifs. We may see that influence in the perfume flasks as well. It's a truly masculine design with an strong presence. The bottle is square, solid and powerful. On the sides, it bears a steel cable motif, the Charriol signature. The bottle is a pleasure for the eyes!
Philippe Charriol was also a racing car addict, and in 2019 at the age of 77, he died in a tragic racing accident on the Circuit Paul Ricard race track.
This perfume develops an alluring seductiveness through its spicy sensuality and masculinity. The scent is spicy and flowerly sweet, in an amber and leather frame.
It opens very spicy with mild earthy black pepper and a massive bittersweet and sensuous cinnamon.
Jasmin, makes itself evident with a narcotically sweet accord, that blends to perfection with a almost pungent animalic black leather note, typical of very well crafted cured hide goods.
The spicy and flowery sweetness, together with the fine leather, will endure till the bottom phase. The fragrance reveals now a woody masculine vetiver blend with a warm, sweet and balsamic amber.
The drydown is all about this ambery frame securing the mixed sweet notes and a charming fainting leather.
This fragrance shows some similarities to the 1 Million family - particularly with 1 Million Privé - but has its own individuality. With three sprays on skin, the performance is above average. The fragrance will last up to 8 hours with a 5~6 feet sillage and a reasonable projection for 2 hours. Ladies really do like this fragrance and it is quite adequated for a fancy party or for clubbing.
How does Charriol EDP cope with metrics?
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Scent opening............8.0 (various spices, heavy cinnamon and sweet jasmin)
- Scent Dry Down.........8.0 (amber and tamed leather)
- Longevity....................8.0 (8 hours on my skin, with 3 sprays)
- Sillage.........................7.5 (sillage peeking at 5~6 feet, projecting for 2 hours)
- Versatility....................7.5 (average versatily of a sweet/gourmand fragrance, expressing itself better in Spring and Fall, at ease in Winter days and in Summer nights)
- Usability......................8.0 (Don't use it in any occasion requiring a fresh scent)
- Compliments..............9.0 (This scent is a compliment magnet. You will smell manly and sexy and in general ladies do notice this fragrance with pleasure)
- Uniqueness.................7.5 (It could an EDP flanker of 1 Million. I compare Charriol EDP with 1 Million Privé, but it has its own individuality)
- Quality.........................9.0 (Quality above average; Very good cap and spray; Quality ingredients)
- Presentation...............10.0 (It can be displayed in a jewelry window)
- Price.............................9.0 (€ 32 for a 100 ml non tester flask)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;
Opinion on "Charriol EDP":
This is a good manly sweet fragrance that will please almost all gourmand scents lovers. It attracts a lot of compliments.
Recommended? I recommend this perfume provided that you like masculine sweet fragrances.
Blind buy worthy? It's better that you don't blind buy it. Try it first. But if you are a clubbing addict or an "1 Million" lover, go ahead and buy it. The price is more than Ok.
Music: Eurythmics - "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This"