Royal Platinum 2012

Royal Platinum by Charriol
Royal Platinum is a popular perfume by Charriol for men and was released in 2012. The scent is smoky-spicy. It is being marketed by Cofinluxe / Cofci.

Top Notes Top NotesChili, Persian saffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesSomalian frankincense, Damask rose, Leather
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Benzoin, Oud

Submitted by Mightynaf, last update on 28.07.2020.

Hidden gem?
This fragrance is a hidden gem. I blind bought this one based upon YouTube and Fragrantica reviewers, and it was totally worth it. This is an awesome smokey oud and rose scent. There are many of these on the market, but this one takes a slightly softer approach; and I love the saffron in this fragrance. It's a little harsh on the opening, and quickly dries down into a warm oud with incense. This fragrance is creamy and not powdery on the dry down. Great for all occasions. If you like warm oriental fragrances you will love this one.

A Platinum Oud Jewel - underrated so far
If you are a oud perfume lover I suggest you try this marvelous fragrance. I consider it to be one of my best wearable oud fragrance. By wearable I mean that you don't need to let it grow on you. Both myself and the people around me that tried it, loved it on the spot. I will explain you why:
- Oud is the main note, but it's a fully appeased oud. I do believe it to be made with very high quality ingredients. That's also true for the the other notes ingredients. The oud in this fragrance is warm , woody, balsamic, a bit sweet and not at all animalic
- The oud is combined with saffron, incense, rose (taif damascen rose?), leather and amber/benzoin. I listed the notes by my judgement of decreasing strenght. The saffon is bitter sweet, intimate and soft, with an earthy leathery nuance. The incense adds a balsamic, spicy, slightly lemonish note. Both the rose and the leather help the fragrance to build a magnific frame for the enjoyable notes development and by not being overly stong. The rose does not lead you into a "Montale" type of scent; it's soft, sweet and powdery. The leather is a "chamois" (suede) soft leather with sweet hints. Amber and benzoin do add a resinous, cozy and warm vanilla like sweetness that is also promoted by the leather.
- The final result is neither an arabic oud nor a western designer oud fragrance. It lies somewhere in the middle but using the best parts of both. It's long lasting, smooth, a bit sweet, and most of all, it's non offensive and tottaly wearable.
What a fantastic blending.
The performance is very good with 8+ hours longevity, 5+ feet sillage and an above average projection that lasts more than 2,5 hours.

Let us see what the math tells us about this intense EDT:
Scent opening: 9.5 (my judgement)
Scent dry down: 9.5 (my judgement)
Longevity: 8.5 (above average for a smoth fragrance)
Sillage: 8.0 (same as longevity)
Uniqueness: 9.5 (very well designed and blended, a real masterpiece and somewhat different from all other wood scents)
Wearability: 8.5 (Winter, Autumn, early Spring - Night and Day)
Versatility: 8.0 (a moderated "yes" to socializing, events, restaurants, and office type of situations due to the existing oud scent haters; it's a champion fragrance in what regards clubbing, night out, bar with friends, dates and "close encounters")
Quality: 10.0 (my judgement)
Presentation: 10.0 (outstanding bottle look, construction and card box protection; very good sprayer; very handy metal and plastic cap ans locking mechanism)
Price: 10.0 (100 ml for €26.00 + taxes; impossible to get this type of quality in an oud fragrance for a lesser price)
Overall rating for this fragrance: 9.15/10.00 (I really had to resist my will of rating a "10" in more features)
I really do recommend it.

This is my second Charriol EDT. This fragrance leaped imediatly to my love list.
All the stages are very pleasant.
The opening is strong but smooth, with a bitter sweet scent amplified by chili pepper and a nuance of sharp spiciness typical of ginger.
The saffron endures to the 2nd phase opening a door to a magnific sweet powdery taif rose (and I am not a fan of the rose note), the strong leather note - but smoth as suede - and the intensively aromatic olibanum incense. The oud note is now present and growing to impose itself as the major player in the up coming bottom notes phase.
The heart notes do fade a bit but without never going away, particulary in the case of the franckincense. The powerfull sweet smoth elegant oud dances with the emerging warm, cosy, powdery amber. This stage let«s you perceive a different sweetness (vanilla scented) most certainly due to the use of benzoin together with the amber note.
The long dry down does have some hints of rose and leather but the ruler oud combines itself with the frankinsense and vanilla scented amber to please you for more than a couple of hours more. You end up with a pleasant sweet oud skin scent.
Again I advise you to try this fragrance ASAP. If you are an oud lover you may as well blind buy it while it's relatively inexpensive. The gorgeous bottle looks will make you happy even before you smell the heavenly fragrance.

My global rating ?
- A solid 9.0 / 10.0 !

Totally underrated
This is a sort of copy&paste of my review for Royal Leather because they do smell very similar. The main difference is the rose and insence notes that are not present in Leather ( the rose is a dry and masculine one ) and the oud note which I beleive gives it the feeling of wet and soaked wood in a sort of alchoolic substance just like the one in Juicy Couture Dirty English, the boozy smell, but in RP it is much stronger. Nevertheless, Royal Platinum does remind Dirty English but here it is fullbody.

I find a little dificult trying to explain what I think about Charriol Royal Leather, and Charriol Royal Platinum, for that matter. But one thing I am sure of it is not the Chanel/Hermes/Dior/Yves Saint Laurent/etc... we all are acostumed to. No, there is something that says very clearly that this is something completely different. And I don't mean that it doesn't smell good, but the whole composition is of anther kind, the approach is not the same, and most of us are not prepared for it, perhaps? Is it nich it leans to? The scent itself is quite inspiring and reminds me of strange foreing places when you first arrive and it smells different from where you come from. It does smell exotic and the saffron note is almost food-like as in a Paella,there is some sweetness from fruit notes, iris and sandalwood/amber,and, of course, the Leather: it is like a piece of leather forniture that has been kept well treated for ages and you feel like loose yourself on it, on its softnes, on its luxurious feel. And when you do that you feel good, you feel richness around you, you feel comfortable. If it smells like TF TL... I cannot tell for I don't know the TF scent, but although it strangeness at first it does smell good, and yes, the bottle is like a $$$ goods. But, for an EDP, it seems to be very weak, is that a trait of nich fragrances, as my Musc Nomade by AG? Although I can smell it hours later it nedds more than few sprays to take off so close to the skin it stays. I paid about US$ 70 for it, and in Brazil, where a bottle of Bleu de Chanel costs US$ 210, it was a good buy. I hope more people take the leap and share their thoughts with us.

Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
I thought my successeful blind buys were over. I could not be more wrong. Charriol Platinum is a shining niche quality fragrance! Do try it!

by Miaw2
by Miaw2
by Vawallpa
by Vawallpa

Popular Charriol

Royal Leather by Charriol Royal White by Charriol Imperial Saphir by Charriol Imperial Ruby by Charriol Charriol pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Charriol Charriol pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Charriol Royal Gold (Eau de Parfum) by Charriol Charriol (Eau de Parfum) by Charriol Charriol (Eau de Toilette) by Charriol Charriol pour Homme Sport by Charriol Show Off by Charriol