C'est la vie! 1990Eau de Toilette

C'est la vie! (Eau de Toilette) by Christian Lacroix
Bottle Design Véronique Monod
C'est la vie! (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Christian Lacroix for women and was released in 1990. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued. Pronunciation

Aldehydes, Amber, Pineapple, Benzoin, Bergamot, Carnation, Heliotrope, Raspberry, Iris, Jasmine, Cassia, Musk, Orange blossom, Osmanthus, Patchouli, Peach, Rose, Sandalwood, Tuberose, Vanilla, Ylang-ylang, Cedar

Submitted by Lobelia, last update on 14.08.2020.

Drseid
Flechier's "Worst" Still Succeeds...
C'est La Vie opens with slightly nose tingling aldehydes and dulled peach fruit before moving to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart the aldehydes smooth, morphing into a play doh-like floury undertone to the remaining peach fruit that melds with an emergent starring carnation note, supported by slightly powdery yellow floral ylang-ylang, and a narcotic tuberose and jasmine led white floral accord, with semi-sweet sandalwood added to the overall mix. During the late dry-down the composition sheds most of its fruity-floral focus, with the remnants supporting the remaining sandalwood with a touch of balsamic, slight sweet powdery benzoin detectable through the finish. Projection is excellent, and longevity average at around 8 hours on skin.

C'est La Vie first caught my attention when I discovered that the perfumer responsible for the 1990 crafted composition was none other than what this writer believes to be the most consistently excellent nose in the business, Edouard Flechier. As I haven't sniffed anything from the perfumer that I disliked to date, a blind buy of a used vintage bottle of C'est La Vie seemed low risk. I guess the most important question is whether the win streak still holds? The short answer is "yes." The longer answer is a bit more complicated, as C'est La Vie seemingly throws everything but the kitchen sink into the composition. With anyone else trying this, the perfume near-certainly would fail. Luckily under Flechier, disaster is avoided, but complete success proves elusive. The composition is at its best in the early heart, where the amalgamation of red, yellow and white florals miraculously comes together with the aldehydic peach to provide a fine symphonic overall accord. It is far from the best of its kind (look to something like Gucci Accenti for that), but very pleasant smelling and relatively distinctive regardless. The weakest aspect to the perfume is the late dry-down, as the semi-sweet sandalwood and benzoin driven finish comes off as relatively ho-hum and short-lived. The end result is a composition that for most part succeeds, but is probably the worst thing I have sniffed from Flechier to date. That may sound like a pan, but actually it is high praise, as the composition is successful on the whole, while still being his "worst." I can't say that of any other well-respected nose, save maybe the great Jean Kerleo... Not bad company, Mr. Flechier! The bottom line is the $120 per 50 ml bottle on the aftermarket long-since discontinued C'est La Vie may be Edouard Flechier's least successful composition, but that only makes the "very good" smelling 3.5 stars out of 5 rated composition all the more impressive when looked at as part of his overall legendary career output. Recommended to collectors for at least sample, but a buy is probably not advised at current aftermarket pricing.
ElysaShades
May the noble donor of samples feel snogged...
...because I was really happy about this.

Just so he slides schöon into the nineties but he still smells very strongly after Eighties. Where... not so typical. We all know the aldehyde opening but then it will not be warm oriental like Poison or Obsession but spicy and flowery. Tuberose, carnation with a certain warmth of benzoin, amber and a little sweetness that actually reminds of raspberries... but a certain scratchiness resonates. Like a stuck chypre prelude. Nice and prickly, but without citrus fruits. It reminds me more of pepper. And this prickly thing gets stronger and stronger with time. When the flowers have faded after about 6 hours a very heavy and somehow smoky base of a lot of carnation, some patchouli and probably also black pepper and possibly even some incense remains. This is a food that takes getting used to compared to the modern mainstreamers. But I like that.

The bottom line here is a typically hopelessly old-fashioned women's fragrance. but somehow not. I have not yet experienced this grater base in its form. In this respect, the name is well chosen. Life is sometimes hard and sometimes soft, but always intense.

The durability is really enormous. 12 hours is zero problem. And the fragrance defies even the deepest sub-zero temperatures.

But when can you wear one of these these days? (ALWAYS IF MAN WILL!!!!) I'd say C'est la Vie is for big shows. Who's going to the opera ball this year? I could imagine that the scent on the right lady could even be intimidating. At least at the base. But he's so elegant. Now of course I remember Meryl Streep in the showdown scene of "Der Teufel trägt Prada" again. It really doesn't get any clearer and more clichéd anymore. Well, girls, even if you're on it too... And if not (like me), but think that peppered patchouli carnation is THE thing, dare you! That's aura to spray on.

So where do I get a bottle now?

Just found a bargain...
I know this is once again a fragrance that often is not liked by other people. But I love it....an Early nineties I already had, I am so pleased I just won another bottle eau de parfum at eBay at a good price compared to other prices some people ask. I love it and will use it ofcourse and.... I even see it as an investment, I am often so surprised when I see the high prices of the good discontinued fragrances, even used ones. I feel happy due to the bargain..

Big and Beautiful
I remember the first time I smelled this in the early 90's, and I thought it smelled like nothing I've ever smelled. I know some may find it loud, but if you use this sparingly, it smells classic. It's probably not something I'd wear to work, but sometimes you want a fragrance with presence. It's got a lot of notes , but they go together. I also don't find this dated because it's well-balanced, and like it or not, big is still with us now (Flowerbomb and Alien, for instance). The sillage and longevity are great with this, so a little goes a long way.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I even like the quirkiness of the "heart" bottle.

BronxBeauty
Perfume for bubble skirts, big hair
Gotta hand it to Christian Lacroix: This tuberose-heavy fume is the olfactory equivalent of his famous late 80s bubble skirt-- kooky, impractical, overblown, a hot mess with too many notes competing for attention in each tier of its fragrance pyramid. Kind of lovable for all that.

Isabelle1Isabelle1 5 years ago
I was looking around in my perfume closet and I took since a long time C'est la vie Eau de parfum and I really do love the smell on me

Discussions about C'est la vie! (Eau de Toilette)

by Smitty
by Süchtig
by AmySourbutts
by AmySourbutts

Popular Christian Lacroix

Tumulte pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Christian Lacroix Christian Lacroix (Eau de Parfum) by Christian Lacroix Tumulte by Christian Lacroix C'est La Fête! Patchouli by Christian Lacroix C'est la vie! (Eau de Parfum) by Christian Lacroix C'est la vie! (Parfum) by Christian Lacroix Bazar by Christian Lacroix C'est La Fête! by Christian Lacroix Eau So Couture by Christian Lacroix Eau Florale by Christian Lacroix Bazar pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Christian Lacroix