By Night 2009Eau de Parfum

By Night (Eau de Parfum) by Christina Aguilera
By Night (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Christina Aguilera for women and was released in 2009. The scent is sweet-fruity. It is being marketed by Revlon. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesPineapple, Freesia, Mandarin orange, Rhubarb, Red apple
Heart Notes Heart NotesHeliotrope, Hawthorn, Peach blossom
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Moss, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 18.11.2020.

The advertising campaign was photographed by Ellen von Unwerth.

Beautiful, heavy, fleeting
Well, first of all I have to admit that the Christina Aguilera fragrances have influenced my school days. They are affordable, smell good and have a relatively nice bottle.

But the only one that is still in my collection today is the By Night.
Why?

It is a very nice gourmand fragrance, which is especially suitable for the evening or cold days. The vanilla and sandalwood make a very heavy and sweet base, which is bordered with fruit and a few flowers. Unfortunately I have to say that the sillage and durability is not very great, so the fragrance has established itself as a home cuddle fragrance for me. Or for a spontaneous dinner in a restaurant.

It is not suitable for going out or for the club because of its little sillage and durability. I would rather go for a Poison Girl from Dior.

The smell of my youth
I have a special relationship with Christina Aguilera's fragrances - yes, they have a special place in my heart. Why? Her first creation, Christina Aguilera, was my first perfume. I was 10 or 11 years old and incredibly excited to finally have a fragrance. After a few months "XX by Mexx Mysterious" by Mexx joined my collection and shortly after that "By Night". The latter quickly became my favourite autumn and winter scent. I still own a bottle and even though I rarely wear it myself, I find the fragrance beautiful. The sweet and delicious vanilla note is in the foreground. The whole thing is rounded off by a slightly fruity note reminiscent of candied apples. This gives the fragrance a little lightness. It is sweet, but not exceptionally heavy. I know the comparison to "Hypnotic Poison", but I find the scents very different. "By Night" seems sweeter, brighter and more playful. "Hypnotic Poison" smells significantly smokier, heavier and has more depth. However, the light plastic note is missing, which HP has in my opinion. This is positive. Also durability of HP is much better. Here comes the shortcoming - the scent doesn't last long. Not much longer than 3-4 hours. This is also the reason why I wear it only relatively rarely. It's a pity, because even now after 10 years, I still find it very beautiful for everyday use. A small plus point might be that you can spray it with the price. I find "By Night" beautiful in everything. Feminine, sweet, also a little sexy, very tasty and not exhausting. A nice everyday scent, which may not last all day, but is very cheap, so that you can spray it once in a while
0.5
Please don't
18:42 - the train arrives delayed at the next stop. A young woman sits in the free space opposite me. She looks friendly and we greet each other with a friendly smile, where the mouth is slightly tightened while the upper half of the face remains unchanged. And suddenly this discomfort sets in again. It doesn't come slowly, doesn't knock, doesn't ask if it's okay to be present for the next 2 hours. No. By Night kicks in the door, screams a loud "HELLO YOU ARSCHGEIGE" in your face and throws the destroyed door and ears at you. It's as pushy as a screaming kid on a plane. Only with one small difference: the pitiful parents can't help it, while there seem to be ladies who wear this perfume voluntarily.

The shelf life and silage of this drop seem to be really excessive for a drugstore fragrance, because it hardly takes a week for my olfactory nerves not to be bothered by it in public. It's this pushy sweetness, somehow flowery, synthetic, that drives me crazy.

Dear women, please, please, not this perfume!
The good sister of Hypnotik Poison
Since I already have Hypnotik Poison I can say I LOVE it:) If you love Hypnotik Poison like me, you'll like this one too. Because Hypnotik Poison smells very strong vanilla and creamy this one is much lighter and more suitable for everyday use it is not too strong it is not too beguiling but lighter and creamier as well as more berry. I like to wear it in everyday life when I don't know what to wear this is just the right one for me. It makes me happier and also fitter for everyday life. It just smells like warm berry pie with vanilla cream. Every time I use it I just don't get enough of it and spray it so that I really notice it all day long. Sometimes it stops at my place for six hours if I don't spray it. If I spray it, I'll notice it easily all day long. I think this perfume is a good alternative for the small wallet if someone says hypnotic poison is too expensive then he can also reach for this one;)
The better HP
I've been having so many problems with Dior Hypnotic Poison. At least the current version is simply too violent and girlie for me. By Night I was worried because in the comments here it was said he would smell similar but a bit more tender. Roughly speaking, I would sign that although the fragrance pyramids are not very similar.

The top note of By Night actually looks like a dimmed hypnotic poison to me. And so Christina's fragrance smells more elegant to my senses although you can already tell a qualitative difference because By Night is a bit flatter overall. But I don't mind now. Because HP is just too much sweet stuff for me anyway. The splash of rhubarb in the top note is really cool, by the way. That's something you don't expect at all, but that's a great counterweight to the sweet scent.

In the course of time By Night becomes quite independent. Hawthorn and heliotrope actually exude a rather sweet and heavy smell. Especially if the unavoidable vanilla is mixed in, as well as peach (here it smells more like the already almost overripe fruit and not like indicated after the blossom). But By Night basically has a rather reserved Sillage. So as long as you don't tip the whole bottle over your head, you don't have to worry about overdosing.

It's just I don't like the base very much. It's too amber-heavy for me. As I have written from time to time, I usually don't like amber notes in drugstore scents very much. Here it is also that there is such a synthetic side smell that it makes the whole thing look a bit cheap. Especially now in summer.

In general By Night is one of those fragrances that fall apart very quickly when it's warm. In my opinion it develops really nicely in late autumn, when there is no snow yet but it is really disgusting weather-wise. Then you are pleasantly surrounded by the scent. Also the durability is much better when it is cold. More than 6 hours can unfortunately not be taken out nevertheless.

I recommend By Night to all ladies who are looking for a more discreet and affordable alternative to Diors Hypnotic Poison (but not the vintage version)

A surprisingly sensual vanilla
It's been a while since I smelt Hypnotic Poison, and while I can in some ways understand the comparison, I don't think Christina Aguilera By Night is entirely similar.

Out of all her commercially released fragrances so far, By Night is the best. There is nothing horribly synthetic about it and it sits on the skin nicely without being too loud or offensive.

Vanilla is very much the driving force within this fragrance. Thankfully it blends perfectly with all the other notes.

I rather enjoy the uniqueness of the top notes which consist of mandarin orange, red apple, hints of vanilla, almond and freesia. The red apple adds a delightfully fresh yet gourmand quality when blended with the almond and vanilla. The scent makes me long for a warm dish of apple crumble served with whipped cream.

Heading towards the drydown, the vanilla becomes muskier and slightly powdery which certainly makes an interesting scent when combined with the rich and warm amber. There is also a possible additive of white woods in the drydown which my nose seems to detect.

Overall I think Christina Aguilera has managed to produce a fragrance that many will like and eventually purchase. Its creaminess and sweetness makes it an excellent choice for Winter, however it could wear well in the Summer too. The lasting strength is quite good so far, so I feel rather relieved in being able to finally recommend a fragrance from Christina Aguilera's range.

by NightAngel
by CocoBee
by Nici1993
by Nici1993

Popular Christina Aguilera

Definition (Eau de Parfum) by Christina Aguilera Christina Aguilera (Eau de Parfum) by Christina Aguilera Violet Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Christina Aguilera Unforgettable by Christina Aguilera Woman by Christina Aguilera Red Sin by Christina Aguilera Inspire by Christina Aguilera Secret Potion by Christina Aguilera Touch Of Seduction by Christina Aguilera Royal Desire by Christina Aguilera Glam X (Eau de Parfum) by Christina Aguilera Xperience by Christina Aguilera Eau So Beautiful by Christina Aguilera Christina Aguilera (Fragrance Mist) by Christina Aguilera Xpose Desire by Christina Aguilera Xpose Passion by Christina Aguilera Xpose Stardust by Christina Aguilera Xpose Glamour by Christina Aguilera