By Night by Christina Aguilera
By Night (Christina Aguilera)
By Night (Christina Aguilera)

By Night is a perfume by Christina Aguilera for women and was released in 2009. The scent is sweet-fruity. It is being marketed by Revlon.

Top Notes Top NotesPineapple, Freesia, Mandarin, Rhubarb, Red apple
Heart Notes Heart NotesHeliotrope, Hawthorn, Peach blossom
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Moss, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 16.11.2018

The advertising campaign was photographed by Ellen von Unwerth.

Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
The good sister of Hypnotik Poison
Since I already have Hypnotik Poison I can say I LOVE it:) If you love Hypnotik Poison like me, you'll like this one too. Because Hypnotik Poison smells very strong vanilla and creamy this one is much lighter and more suitable for everyday use it is not too strong it is not too beguiling but lighter and creamier as well as more berry. I like to wear it in everyday life when I don't know what to wear this is just the right one for me. It makes me happier and also fitter for everyday life. It just smells like warm berry pie with vanilla cream. Every time I use it I just don't get enough of it and spray it so that I really notice it all day long. Sometimes it stops at my place for six hours if I don't spray it. If I spray it, I'll notice it easily all day long. I think this perfume is a good alternative for the small wallet if someone says hypnotic poison is too expensive then he can also reach for this one;)
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 4.0/10 Longevity 3.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
The better HP
I've been having so many problems with Dior Hypnotic Poison. At least the current version is simply too violent and girlie for me. By Night I was worried because in the comments here it was said he would smell similar but a bit more tender. Roughly speaking, I would sign that although the fragrance pyramids are not very similar.

The top note of By Night actually looks like a dimmed hypnotic poison to me. And so Christina's fragrance smells more elegant to my senses although you can already tell a qualitative difference because By Night is a bit flatter overall. But I don't mind now. Because HP is just too much sweet stuff for me anyway. The splash of rhubarb in the top note is really cool, by the way. That's something you don't expect at all, but that's a great counterweight to the sweet scent.

In the course of time By Night becomes quite independent. Hawthorn and heliotrope actually exude a rather sweet and heavy smell. Especially if the unavoidable vanilla is mixed in, as well as peach (here it smells more like the already almost overripe fruit and not like indicated after the blossom). But By Night basically has a rather reserved Sillage. So as long as you don't tip the whole bottle over your head, you don't have to worry about overdosing.

It's just I don't like the base very much. It's too amber-heavy for me. As I have written from time to time, I usually don't like amber notes in drugstore scents very much. Here it is also that there is such a synthetic side smell that it makes the whole thing look a bit cheap. Especially now in summer.

In general By Night is one of those fragrances that fall apart very quickly when it's warm. In my opinion it develops really nicely in late autumn, when there is no snow yet but it is really disgusting weather-wise. Then you are pleasantly surrounded by the scent. Also the durability is much better when it is cold. More than 6 hours can unfortunately not be taken out nevertheless.

I recommend By Night to all ladies who are looking for a more discreet and affordable alternative to Diors Hypnotic Poison (but not the vintage version)
Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
A surprisingly sensual vanilla
It's been a while since I smelt Hypnotic Poison, and while I can in some ways understand the comparison, I don't think Christina Aguilera By Night is entirely similar.

Out of all her commercially released fragrances so far, By Night is the best. There is nothing horribly synthetic about it and it sits on the skin nicely without being too loud or offensive.

Vanilla is very much the driving force within this fragrance. Thankfully it blends perfectly with all the other notes.

I rather enjoy the uniqueness of the top notes which consist of mandarin orange, red apple, hints of vanilla, almond and freesia. The red apple adds a delightfully fresh yet gourmand quality when blended with the almond and vanilla. The scent makes me long for a warm dish of apple crumble served with whipped cream.

Heading towards the drydown, the vanilla becomes muskier and slightly powdery which certainly makes an interesting scent when combined with the rich and warm amber. There is also a possible additive of white woods in the drydown which my nose seems to detect.

Overall I think Christina Aguilera has managed to produce a fragrance that many will like and eventually purchase. Its creaminess and sweetness makes it an excellent choice for Winter, however it could wear well in the Summer too. The lasting strength is quite good so far, so I feel rather relieved in being able to finally recommend a fragrance from Christina Aguilera's range.

• by Gold by Gold