Black Sheep

Black Sheep by CinisLabs
Black Sheep is a perfume by CinisLabs for women and men. The release year is unknown. The scent is smoky-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Perfumer & Creative Guidance

Donnie Bovi (Brand Owner, Perfume maker)

Birch, Castoreum, Vanilla absolute, Styrax, Cedarwood

Submitted by WiB, last update on 19.01.2021.

The smoky sheep
I am not a friend of CinisLabs to fall right into the house. Absolutely not. My first two encounters were cruel, Leather Rum Geranium with the penetrating geranium (I can't stand geraniums) and Oud Black Suede Vetiver (gaudy and disturbing) couldn't persuade me to buy, to say the least. Since then I've avoided the label like the devil avoids holy water, Yatagan commented fragrances or Floyd sweet-powdery perfumes. Thanks to the esteemed Dennis I had the opportunity to test two more fragrances, which I wanted after hearing some positive opinions about the label. Nibiru as a first test was quite pleasing, but did not completely convince me. Now then Black Sheep.
My first thought after spraying was that this one smells like Broken Theories. On the surface it still smells right, but in detail there are striking differences, so I consider Broken Theories stronger in comparison. Which doesn't make Black Sheep any less appealing, because it radiates an even dirtier charm, an even more sinister smoke as if some pollutants were burning and you almost feel like you're dying.
Initially overwhelmingly intense, the black sheep exudes a little vanilla over time, which loosens up the fragrance a bit and makes it more wearable overall. Nevertheless this creation of Donnie Bovi is relatively one-dimensional, you won't find much development here. Somehow it makes sense, because if you want to smell like this, you like it simple and direct, which is not meant disrespectfully.
In any case, the birches are burning, the beginning captures the dirty and sooty smoke at the climax of the scene, everything is ablaze and a dense grey-black smoke hits us. One stands directly where the wind moves the smoke. And that for a very long time. So impregnated with smoke and shortly before the break-off due to the intensity, the smoke becomes weaker. A little vanilla burns on the side, makes Black Sheep less extreme. It's now bearable for those who don't know this kind of perfume and who have fatally seen here an acquaintance of such creations.
Relatively unnoticed the Styrax joins them. The olfactory taste of vanilla changes, and Black Sheep is now subliminally spicy and resinous. This is where the fragrance itself reaches its peak, but it is a long way to go until then and will cause many to resign. At this point the fire dies away, the vanilla becomes stronger and Black Sheep ends up with a blackened vanilla-styrax combination. The end is very splendid, but even here more would have been possible.
For me, as already mentioned, the perfume is a relative of Broken Theories despite different ingredients. These can be considered stronger in Kerosene's work, the fragrance has more depth. But maybe Black Sheep doesn't want that at all, because basically we have here a first very smoky and strongly borderline product, then tamed by vanilla. For me so far the strongest creation of CinisLabs, his two in my eyes faux pas I look after him at this point.

ElderPunch
The morning after the fire
Scent evoke memory, boxes of the past stored away; when opened sentimentality, and the past into the present.

I own four Cinis Labs scents, and they all fit this. The scents are not beautiful on their own, without the references to my own boxes of past experience.

But all of them take me back in time to specific experiences.

Black Sheep reminds me, put me in frames of the past where fire was present. In particular fire on the beach, the smell of burned wood mixed with the dampness of morning and salt water, when the fire was almost out.

The smell of smoke everywhere in my slightly damp clothes, and warm skin. Stayed for days, like this scent.

If you have no reference to this scent, it may not appeal. For me it is a tool, evokes past emotion to bring into the present. Cinis scents are tools for the time traveller. They are not perfumes in a traditional sense.
A gift for his enemy
That smell is anything but pleasant. Never thought I'd get a 1 as a rating but here it's well deserved. I don't even dare to give away my bottling except maybe with 5 other samples and at the same time hope that the new owner used it after a long time and forgot who it came from. It worked for me, too (laughs).

It's not even a "smell," it's a "smell" that smells like smoke. Vanilla & Tonka Bean? - completely forgotten because I only perceive the smoke.
I cannot evaluate the durability because I feel bad to wear it.
The Sillage, on the other hand, could loosely have a smoke detector
to beep! Maybe I'll try mine to see if it works.

A perfume must be wearable first and foremost and not simply an experiment of meaningless ingredients just to satisfy its own egocentric "that's art" and then let it loose on humanity.

by ElderPunch
by ElderPunch

Popular CinisLabs

Fueled Up by CinisLabs Son Of a Gun by CinisLabs Frankincense Sandalwood Oud by CinisLabs Unholy water by CinisLabs Nibiru by CinisLabs Whiskey Tobacco Malt by CinisLabs Aether by CinisLabs Forgive not Forget by CinisLabs Oud Black Suede Vetiver by CinisLabs Absinthe IX by CinisLabs Sangue by CinisLabs Cedarwood Grapefruit Oud by CinisLabs Leather Rum Geranium by CinisLabs Amber by CinisLabs Oudh by CinisLabs Blasphemy by CinisLabs Chypre by CinisLabs Dead Wood by CinisLabs Licorice Orange Sandalwood by CinisLabs Chypre Fig Woods by CinisLabs