Aromatics Elixir 1971 Perfume

Aromatics Elixir (Perfume) by Clinique
Aromatics Elixir (Perfume) is a popular perfume by Clinique for women and was released in 1971. The scent is spicy-chypre. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Bernard Chant

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot VervainVervain GeraniumGeranium ChamomileChamomile CorianderCoriander Clary sageClary sage RosewoodRosewood
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris rootOrris root JasmineJasmine CarnationCarnation Orange blossomOrange blossom RoseRose TuberoseTuberose Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesOakmossOakmoss MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood VetiverVetiver FrankincenseFrankincense

Submitted by Sani, last update on 02.05.2022.

CallasCallas 10 years ago
What a luck that I already have the certain, desired age! Many mothers have been mentioned here. Like a pity, I cannot ask my mother any more. Did she have...
MisskMissk 10 years ago
I can't understand this fragrance. I can almost see why people love it, yet at the same time I can see why people dislike it. The opening is bitter,...

Happy half a century
Little more is to be said about this
baroque composition, maybe that under my nose AE is all about emotions and nostalgia, therefore reserved to those of us who can't avoid the intensity of our own feelings.

I wan't to celebrate the 50th anniversary of this beautiful creation by B. Chant. It isn't the one it used to be unfortunately, still after half a century it has become a classic which deserves to be honoured.

Big Yellow And Golden Heart
The "Wheel of Time" is a series of fantasy novels by American author Robert Jordan, with Brandon Sanderson as the co-author of the last three books. The series draws on many European and Asian mythology elements, most notably the cyclical nature of time found in Buddhism and Hinduism, the metaphysical concepts of balance and duality, and the respect for wildlife found in Taoism. At the dawn of time, a deity known as the Creator forged the universe and the Wheel of Time, spinning the Pattern of Ages using the lives of men and women as its threads. The Wheel has seven spokes, each representing an era, and is rotated by the One Power, which flows from the True Source. The One Power divides into male and female halves, saidin and saidar, who work in opposition and unison to lead the Wheel. Humans who can use their power are channelers; the leading channelers in books is called Aes Sedai or "Servants of All" in the Ancient Language.

Why did I mention the novel "The Wheel of Time"? Because it's old school but timeless. The initial explosion that exudes from this opulent perfume reminds me of the plot and the places described in that novel, a series that I am watching these days on TV. The Aromatic Elixir is like the fluid that passes through the channelers. I could imagine the Aes Sedai leaving such a sillage when they pass by someone. The White Tower where they reside must smell of this essence. It perfectly combines floral and dry powdery notes with warm woody and balsamic accords. All I can say is that it's a sight: old school with soapy aldehydes, notes of jasmine and indolic white flowers, wonderfully moist patchouli, animal civet, moss and lots of strength. Few compositions match the Aromatic Elixir in both opulence and sensuality. It is like a Venetian red potion, ripe, intoxicating, and represents its essential soul. Chypre expertly blended by inserting all the nuances that nature offers, from flowers to aromas, from spices to woods.

First of all, Aromatic Elixir is a chypre, all too austere. It is dry and green. I checked the nose behind this gem, it is Bernard Chant, and I realised that he is also the Creator of other masterpieces such as Aramis 900 Eau de Cologne, Cabochard (1959) Parfum, Cinnabar (1978) Eau de Parfum, and Halston Eau de Toilette. Not surprisingly, all those classic old school fragrances have different similarities from the decade they were born; you recognise the hand and genius of the Creator. The scent unfolds with biting, deep and bitter accords of dried dark flowers, aromatic herbs and a plethora of aldehydes. There is a kind of intoxication, bitter, dark and mystical as if we let the delicate dried chamomile flowers macerate in an alcoholic solution, along with geranium leaves and sage, inside a small rosewood barrel. It is a healing potion reminiscent of Far Eastern medicine. Wow, there are so many aromatic nuances that every time I sniff my pulse, I perceive a different scented herb, sometimes woody and other times medicinal. The coriander leaves are pungent and remind me of soups from Asian restaurants. When aldehydes appear, they raise the opening, and I feel them like the bitter taste of good soap.

The floral heart, dried flowers to be precise, bright and sharp on the head, is released in the embrace of dark pink geranium and sweet ylang-ylang. There is an explosion of colour, with exceptional depth and sweet darkness, the earthiness of patchouli and vetiver blending with floral jasmine and Venetian red carnation. A thick layer of oakmoss covers a heart of jasmine and rose that does not yield at the base. Patchouli is not subdued; it is not modern and clean. It has its medicinal and camphoric obscurity instead. I can get a dusty shade in the background; I feel the presence of the iris root in it. The tango between rose and iris is flawless, albeit a little or no discernible rose.

The animalic base of oakmoss, patchouli, incense and soft musky notes is a whole. There's even a touch of creamy sandalwood between those ambers, dirty, earthy and smoky accords. The whole composition stays cool and dry, with a clean yet earthy exterior quality that reminds me of sun-warmed dry hay. It smells like sex, and I'm not kidding. Balsamic like tiger oil, this fragrance is not transparent but thick; it comforts the nose and the soul. Since I have a recent version, I bet the musky vibe comes from something synthetic as real oakmoss - Evernia prunasti - is now banned.

Aromatic Elixir is like the freezing rain that brings with it the scent of damp earth and mountain nuts for a winter experience that invites you to retreat to an intimate and sensual place. The performances are impeccable; intense persistence and a moderate sillage consistent with the nature of the composition and its ingredients. My advice is that the boys try it too because the sweetness is minimal despite a hefty dose of flowers. It doesn't have the quality of contemporary women's fragrances, and no one could tell you that you smell like a girl. You just smell delicious. Earthy, sophisticated, complex and appropriate as a modern men's fragrance. To conclude, if you have come across the television series "The Wheel of Time" in programming in recent months and have had the opportunity to smell this perfume, you will surely understand the reason for my association.

I base the review on a 100ml bottle I have owned since April 2021.

-Elysium

Not too shoddy
I have bought sample after sample in an attempt to find something, anything, that I liked. I've tried everything from the latest Miss Dior to niche but to no avail. So, despite the rotten reviews the latest formulation of Aromatics Elixir has had from having no staying power to having no scent to etc etc I decided I had better try it myself on the understanding that any Aromatics Elixir was better than no Aromatics Elixir.

I bought the 100 ml with batch code A31 which comes out, according to CheckFresh, as March 2021. I purchased it as dispatched from and sold by Amazon uk i.e. not an unknown seller.

So, was it a successful buy? To my nose, yes, a successful buy and I am pleased that I took the plunge.

Aromatics Elixir seems to have had formula tweaks many, many times and this one is no exception. It no longer says on their website that it has 500 or more ingredients and whether that indicates a reduction or they no longer think of it as being a selling point I don't know.

Taking longevity, one spray on my arm in the afternoon still smells the next morning. That is a very individual thing and I am sure that when people say that this new formula doesn't last then that is their experience. An age ago I did a set of tests with my mum using various aroma chemicals and some of the musks had no smell at all on mum; I couldn't smell them and neither could she but on my skin we both could smell them. My mum is the least smelly person I have ever met; she never used deodorant but never had foul body odour, she never had smelly feet even if her slippers were years old. The less said about my feet the better.

One of the difficulties I have had with the last couple of bottles of Aromatics Elixir is its decent into Marmite/meaty/savoury territory after a few hours wear. I am happy to say that this current batch doesn't do that. No idea what is in a perfume that makes it wear savoury on me but however this has been tweaked it has ended that problem for me. I compare with my other bottles (I now have four on the go) and still have the savoury problem with two of the earlier versions so it is a tweak rather than a phase I was going through

Another change is that the previous bottle I had had a very odd, synthetic, sweet rose overtone. This rendition doesn't come across with the heavy rose note at all. This is much to my preference as although I love rose essential oil there was something about the wrongly sweet rose overtone that was not to my liking.

Overall I would say that this formula (always on my skin so not a set in stone 'this is how it is') is greener, dryer, more mossy, and more woody, maybe a touch thinner and leaves less of a trail but altogether not too shoddy.
Just before Christmas...
Long time ago... It was around Christmas and my aunt sat next to me and she smelled sooo delicious. Now you must imagine under my aunt no old lady, no she was rather only a little older than we children and always class drauf. She pulled out a brown bottle from the handbag and gave me a Spüher.
I thought Armomatics Elixir was just beautiful to have. Somehow the bottle had already changed, but the scent I ordered to my bedside after Christmas smelled just as good as my aunt's.
I wore it for a very long time and later my girls always said clothes box from the attic to it. My passion for collecting began, but none has managed to accompany me so long, it was my signature scent for a long time. For me, he was always soo delicious that I then the scent tail quasi pursue, speak him smelled in the department store and actually picked up the scent to find out how the lady looks, who also wears this fragrance.
From hearsay I know that you like him or not. Thus, Aromatics Elixir is and always will be something special, even if my nose no longer perceives him as in 1982.
Today I would say, rather something for older (aunts just) and not for girls...
Not for me
I know that the perfume is a classic that is loved by many. But despite several attempts, I just can't get used to it. The top note is extremely pungent and the heart and base note are not getting milder and don't blend with my skin like they usually do. And the heart notes and base notes develop on my skin like Maggiweed. According to the fragrance pyramid, I should actually like the perfume, but unfortunately I don't. And this is not the only chypre I have. From aromatics Elixir I rather get headaches and nausea but fortunately, as we all know, tastes are different.
Missis.....Columbo
A beautiful invitation flutters into the house. Invitation to Mrs. Columbo, her husband's in downtown L.A. on investigative business, and I get to spend the whole day with her in the little wooden house over the beach. Winking over huge sunglasses, she greets me, her dark hair covered with a colourful scarf, full red lips with beautiful teeth and a truly funny smile on her face. She embraces me lovingly and tenderly, my nose captures a touch of spices, a haze of clove and geranium. It is summer, and the sun is golden over the Pacific Ocean. She turns around, we are standing in her rustic kitchen, the espresso is already steaming in the cups. She goes in front, outside to the veranda, I follow the fragrant coffee trail, mixed with the noble, aristocratic scent of her aura. We laugh, we are exuberant, cheerful, the heat is mixed with the fresh breeze of the sea, in between the woods of her wonderful perfume combined with the dry floorboards of the veranda. She suggests to go down to the sea, one is in possession of a small catamaran and wants to take a trip. Do I agree? No question! Her wide, colourful tunic, matching the hairscarf, flutters in the sunny wind in front of me, I am wrapped in a wonderfully warm, austere, yet very soft fragrance illusion, which invites you to dream every second. We jump down, take the steps like two young girls and downstairs the boatman is already waiting. The freezing cold waves hit us, refreshing in these outside temperatures, and after a long boat ride we meet a hunchback mum with her boy. They roll around, they jump around like two young dogs and it is a great intimate joy to watch them. At the same moment the deep, loving base of Aromatics Elixir is revealed, Mrs. Columbo is happy and spins in circles in the wind. MMMMhhhhh, a rich fragrance full of power and spice, balsamic almost worthy of a Grail. I am very happy because of these moments. As we drove back, finding ourselves back on the veranda, I hear the tinny sound of Monsieur's engine roaring up the serpentines. I quickly say goodbye, because Mrs. Columbo has already started the fire, because after the many hours in which the landlord has kept himself afloat with work, toast and raisins, he is now looking forward to a nice T-bone from the grill. I drive down the road and watch the sun setting over the sea. It was a dreamy summer day...
Pot pourrit
The appealing advertisement of Clinique that the fragrance makes you "happy" aroused my curiosity. It must have been a perfume with a high percentage of essential oils. Normally " organic perfumes " are rather narrow-breasted, one cannot say about AE. Interesting. I had to test it. The nice lady at the clinic counter sprayed my arm, which was stretched out to her. Indeed, a wonderfully spicy and herbaceous scent caressed my nose. Herbs play the absolute leading role in this fragrance, not fresh green, but rather a dried bundle of herbs, flanked by a flower potpourri. Although I associate chamomile with sickness and nausea, it did not bother me (at first).

Fortunately, on that day my reason was stronger than my greed! I resisted the temptation to have a 100ml bottle packed right away.

I was not prepared for the following: the fragrance began to tilt on the worst part of my skin, at first sour and pungent, then musty, it literally rotted :-( The fragrant bundle of herbs had turned into a compost heap! So the camomile after all? Or was the tester tilted? But I would have noticed that immediately?slowly memories of past stomach upsets and intestinal flu came up in me. Then this odeur stuck to me like glue! Only after several washes was it gone.

Pity. I wish I could have been happy with Aromatics Elixir. :-(
Hippie Chic for the Hippie Chick
Reading some of the comments here I am amazed how different perceptions and associations can be. The first time I tested this fragrance may have been in the early 90s, and, despite its intensity, I liked it immediately. This scent reminds me of my exuberant time in the 80s, when I danced my feet flat almost every weekend in the "Alternative Disco"...

At the beginning of the 80s it was always crowded there on weekends. Punks, freaks, alternative, weird but also some chic people wanted to have fun, see how to spend the evening, or just "dance off" like me. I remember those hot summer nights, I wiggled, danced and jumped over the dance floor. The music was just great, and then these smells: At that time there were these little bottles of scented oil, which were very popular because they were cheap and some of them didn't smell that bad : patchouli, opium, musk, yasmin, ylan ylang...above all there were clouds of nicotine, and every now and then a clearly noticeable cannabis note "wafted" through the room and mixed with the sweat of the dancers. When you breathed this for a while, the scents would condense and become an intense scent, and I was intoxicated.

Aromatics elixir would have been noticed even then, however, and would have been successful. This fragrance is an announcement in itself, it is so dense, intense and rich that only a single spray is enough - in my neck. Then it lasts, hours after hours.

At first I was surprised by the camomile, as I had never perceived it in fragrances before. Here it is present, but very quickly blends in with the colourful array of clary sage, rose geranium, coriander and co. Carefully dosed, it remains harmonious, and soon Patchouli leads this round dance.

Sprayed Aromatics Elixir once on a hot summer day, as mentioned, one sprayer is enough. I was in the mood for a light "hippie outfit", and this fragrance seemed to suit it. The scent accompanied me for almost a few days, it was the patchouli that surrounded me for a long time. Not disturbing, but becoming more and more gentle, and even in the heat easy to bear. Also my scent of sensitive husband was impressed, and that means something. In my clothes the scent lasts almost eternally
No, AE is not a "silent peddler", but the time of the 70s, when it was launched, was intense, colourful, loud... a time of "women's movement", when women raised their voices, demanded their rights and fought for equality. So this fragrance fits quite well into an already special era, and stands for itself.

Not a fragrance I can or want to wear all the time. But I am glad to own an older version, and I don't give it away anymore - despite sensitive bronchial tubes ;o))

SO.....and now I hear "Shine on you Crazy Diamond"... ;o))

EsterEverest
That's how I might smell later...
I bought the fragrance because of the very exciting descriptions - flying blind, you could say.
I can smell the raw materials used very well for all of them.
So on paper, exactly what I want. a pithy scent, not a crowdpleaser, something with character I don't know what to say... i got exactly that, but unfortunately in this case I'm part of the group, which doesn't let the rather extraordinary scent pick it up, but prefers to stay outside.
The perfume is not badly made and I can understand immediately, with the first spray already, what someone can find in it. It has something timeless and extraordinary. Definitely a fragrance that stays in the memory - unfortunately, one could add, but I think it depends very much on the wearer's own body scent.
But the image that immediately comes to mind is that of an aging, somewhat over-painted lady who is used to getting her way. Nothing for weak nerves and weak noses
It is a herbaceous cloud that is almost overly dominant on the olfactory nerves - following the recommendations here, I really only used a small spray. My bathroom is still filled with the shadow of the fragrance - the silage is literally, breath(be)robbing.
Unfortunately, even after some time, it did not arrive on my skin.
Scratchy, unruly and the wrong kind of frost I feel with it.
The camomile is very dominant on my skin at the first attempt, only to be knocked away by the organ blossom and the really very powerful patchouli like in an unfair match. The rose resonates subconsciously, but not radiantly, as it can sometimes be, but dull, dull, weedy.
My husband says to the scent, it makes me feel a little older... and it's true, it has an earthy, sedate quality
Between you and me, Aromatics Elixir, that's not going to happen... maybe in a few years, who knows.
But you're making me into a woman I'm not yet
Serenissima
from another world of scents
Amazing that "Aromatics Elixir" has been on the market for so long.
Only towards the end of the eighties, when the opulence was almost overflowing and reached a previous climax in fashion and fragrance, did this spicy something appear on my fragrance horizon.
At that time, elaborate wardrobe dominated: "Dallas" and "Denver Clan" still show the enormous proportions of fashion at that time.
Christian Lacroix created impressive collections in his beautiful "gemstone colours": Sapphire blue, robin red, emerald green and lots of gold dominated the fashion with not exactly puristic cuts.
The creations of the fragrance world were just as powerful and impressive: if you look here for dates, you will find many of these powerful and impressive creatures in the enchanting flacons.
We loved her very much and wore what is today a little bit called the "massive humming noise" every day:
That's what happened! Everybody did it!

Suddenly a woody, spicy fragrance appeared: "Aromatic Elixirs" set a counterpart to the Oriental Chypre fragrance in a true fragrance laola.
We all noticed! What was that?
Whoever is in the middle of a vortex is dragged along and does not notice it at all.
Where would this mighty fragrance opulence, which I still love today, have led then? Was there ever an increase?

Suddenly, aromatherapy was used and "That was good!" (to quote a former Berlin Governing Mayor following)
Spice and freshness (sometimes even a bit biting!) suddenly reigned: "Aromatics Elixir" conquered us.
The top note alone resembles a walk through the herb garden of a monastery: the senses are awakened and calmed at the same time.
All the green and herbaceous was given attention; we saw and rediscovered our fragrance environment!
A fragrant balance suggests itself: the senses are suddenly freed from all the fragrant balast and begin to spread their wings!
instead of being opulently scented and overwhelmed with fragrance A lightness in the fragrance spread!
And yet the heart of this seductive fragrance carries all the classics that we know from the past and love so much.
Only here jasmine, iris, carnations and their well-known playmates seem slim, less peppy.
So there is also a kind of minimalism here.
Oak moss and patchouli bring earthy nuances to this composition, Vetiver also belongs to this category.
Whereas musk, sandalwood and incense clearly appeal to the senses.
This classic fragrance appears round and new and inspiring.
Do we dare?

"Aromatics Elixir" removed pomp and plush from the scent world; it was new and somehow puristic!
Even the followers of Jil Sander's minimalist fashion found in her first perfumes the concentration of fragrances associated with the spirit of the times: they were not tame and natural: they only wore "antique" names

But at the same time "Aromatics Elixir" was also not without problems.
Several cases of allergic reactions in the form of pimples and sore spots on the sprayed skin I saw myself.
If this clear, woody-spicy fragrance did not immediately disappear from the repertoire of some users, it was only sprayed on the underwear! Where he left borders.
To my knowledge nobody found the trigger: it was just like that!

At that time I was still swimming on the wave of monster scents; "Aromatics Elixir" only touched me peripherally.
Most of the time I was confronted professionally with this new spicy-woody freshness.
It was not until the end of the nineties, when I discovered Shiseido fragrances, that I discovered this area for myself.

Through our lovely perfume "Gold" I now have the opportunity to test "Aromatics Elixir" once for me.
Despite careful packaging, the slender, fine-walled glass foil was destroyed: a long crack was drawn through the glass body.
Thus "Aromatics Elixir" enriched not only my skin, but also my apartment: a positive addition to the currently only moderately available feel-good climate due to various construction works in the house!

Timelessly beautiful is this fragrance from Clinique still; it spreads well-being and also attracts a lot of attention: "sensually beautiful" would be here even the more appropriate expression!
But also I have to be a little careful; on some days this aromatic beauty bizzelt nevertheless very much in my nose: I must sneeze and the eyes get immediately red borders and tears!

So I find here a not completely unproblematic smell creation, which lures me however again and again.
But in the meantime I have learned to sound out our mutual forces - there are days when "Aromatics Elixir" and I go on a confrontation course: then we make a bow around each other!
But it is beautiful, this clear purity in the fragrance!
Thank you, Gold, for the generous bottling!

JayNayJayNay 9 months ago
It’s my mom’s scent. Give her a bottle every year and she smells amazing. Just received a perfumed card trough snail mail. Lovely
CymCym 5 years ago
Reminiscent of the scent used in some museums to evoke a medieval village scene: dirt, hay, decaying vegetation, animal funk and excrement.
DorothyGraceDorothyGrace 7 years ago
Love and wear my bottle from the 1990s. Formula from last year brings me up in angry red welts. Used to be my go to perfume.

by Ginger
by Callas
by Callas
by Serenissima
by Serenissima
Wo geht die Reise hin...., lost in time....
by Sani
by Sani
by Queenie
by Queenie
by GeorgeMaras
by GeorgeMaras
by Rosaviola
Vintage Parfum mit Ballonzerstäuber, alte Version Made in Switzerland. Enorme Sillage und Haltbarkeit.
by Morpheus1
by Kwad
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular by Clinique

Aromatics In Black by Clinique Aromatics In White by Clinique Wrappings by Clinique Happy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Clinique Beyond Rose by Clinique Happy (Perfume) by Clinique Aromatics Elixir Perfumer's Reserve by Clinique Chemistry by Clinique Calyx (2014) by Clinique Aromatics Elixir (Eau de Toilette) by Clinique Simply by Clinique Aromatics Black Cherry by Clinique Happy Heart by Clinique Aromatics Elixir Velvet Sheer Philtre Sensuel by Clinique Happy To Be by Clinique Happy in Bloom 2006 by Clinique Happy Heart 2012 by Clinique My Happy. - Lily of the Beach by Clinique Aromatics Elixir Premier Edition Prestige by Clinique Happy Summer Spray by Clinique