Happy (1997) Perfume

Happy (Perfume) by Clinique

Happy (Perfume) is a perfume by Clinique for women and was released in 1997. The scent is fresh-floral. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Grapefruit, Laurel, Tangerine tree
Heart Notes Heart NotesBoysenberry flower, Jasmine, Orchid
Base Notes Base NotesHawaiian wedding flower, Lily, Magnolia, Mimosa

Submitted by Sani, last update on 25.06.2019

Edda32
What is actually a bad mood scent or Who has worries, also has liqueur
I've been wearing this scent for two days now. In the garden while mowing the lawn and weeding the weeds, while shopping (huiii again expensive!) and during various bicycle rides with the children... (please RIGHT RUN! RE-HIGHT...!!!!!) ...It's holidays, it's early spring with all its tulips, daffodils, winterlings, forsythia... I see yellow, yellow yellow, the magnolia next door drops banana peels in the gardens. So Mr. Neighbor, please rake and sweep every day, otherwise there will be trouble.
The birds are roaring in front of the window at half past five. (Hey, does anyone know where the spring tiredness comes from?) The sun is shining and I have even worn short sleeves with goose bumps today. Sometimes I already dream about sandals. And with all this I am surrounded by a delicate, tangerine-yellow-orange scent, like busy bees, with little buckets of henkele on my feet.

Loud cheerful notes, yes indeed.
Of the eleven notes from the pyramid, some I feel are dazzling. The Hawaiian wedding flower doesn't want to get googled, and I'm a little suspicious. The association 'wedding' wants to fit so well to 'happy'...Well then.
Start at the front of the fragrance. A few common suspicious components can be found in the top note: bergamot, fresh green lemon and the always sporty pamelmuse. However, these two slightly effervescent fruit notes are immediately intercepted by the mandarin and carried into the sweetness. It's not mentioned, but I smell also candied orange slices, but not the dry, brown ones, from the Christmas spotpourri, but these here shine like cathedral windows.
Or like Capri ice cream.

The heart note combines spring and summer notes. Countless white flowers are snowing in. Jasmine shines fragrantly from afar, a few fruit trees in addition... Here spring and summer - fruits here and flowers there - unite and it becomes clear that it is not really a native scent, but an exotic and it wants to be worn where it belongs. On vacation, on vacation, in the sun.

Boysenberries are simply a cross between blackberries and raspberries, better brimberries so to speak. They come from America, just around the corner from Hawaii by the way .....You should meet them in the heart note, not yet to pick, but as flowers. Well, I can't smell it, but I can sense it. It smells like fruit blossoms.
Slowly the Capri ice cream melts with my skin and all the bees and flowers together, to a well-known scent:
Sunshine on warm skin. There is even a bitter component, that must be the laurel. And I think this is typical Clinique: always slightly edgy, somewhat bold and very cultivated in this fragrance despite the cuteness.

Earlier, while sniffing at my forearm, I asked myself what actually characterizes a so-called good mood scent. Here the term would be so impudently imposed that one would like to avoid it.
Short brainstorming. Good mood...is light-heartedness, freedom from worries, no brooding, simply serenity, a smile in the eyes and sunshine in the heart. Taste doesn't need caffeine, 'Happy' doesn't need sexiness, is an end in itself for innocent serenity.

I can really use it: the kids drive as they like, fucking magnolia slop, account empty and in the garden everything full of weeds.
And I spray, I spray, I spray................................................................................................................
7.0 7.0 8.0 6.5/10

Secure in life
Dear Happy,
yesterday I sprayed you up and expected my familiar, beloved fragrance. I loved Your merriment, which was never loud or oppressive and which made me cheerful, even when thunderstorms were going through my interior. With you, I felt safe in life.
But the familiar pleasant smell failed to appear. I waited. And waited. Everything I smelled seemed synthetic. Where's my girlfriend? Happy, where are you?
Full of melancholy, I sneaked through the day. It reminded me of everything we had experienced together. All painful and beautiful, all life avalanches and pink clouds. I sighed. Because I knew what would come inevitably.
I don't know how to tell you this.
I, I have another...
Of course I'll give us another chance. But I'm afraid we'll split up.
My life used to be simple. In winter Must de Cartier, you in summer and in between Helmut Lang. The Helmut did not exist any more and so the summer time with you was extended until the first snow and the winter time with Cartier until April.
And now this. I've become a perfumer. And our love, Happy, has become stale. Oh, Happy. I am sad.

Germanblonde
A real good feel frag for hot, dry summer days
I actually like it a lot, especially today. The citrus notes are peppy and perky. However, it is not always as lovely as today, and I start to wonder if it has to do with the humidity. At least on me it is lovely and carefree when it is hot outside with low humidity. When it's humid, it seems like the lovely citrus has a hard time to make its way through and it smells a lot greener. I don't care for it when the green takes over, but when the citrus hangs on like this, it is truly lovely. For me it is a keeper and used only on hot summer days with no clouds in sight and no thunderstorm approaching. I bet it's a lovely fragrance for Arizona desert summers, carefree and really lovely. I am shocked to read all these bad reviews. It is not sexy, not a head turner, but on hot, dry days it really has a feel good vibe. I think Happy is really a great name for it.
5.0 7.5 7.5 2.0/10

I regret to report that my sister was right
It took me years to muster up the courage to test Clinique HAPPY. It's possible that I finally did it only because of my conversion to true love for AROMATICS ELIXIR--against all expectations. I had no specific reason for believing that I'd hate AROMATICS ELIXIR beyond the flagrant contradiction that a fragrance-free skin care company should produce a notoriously powerful perfume, but I had read so many songs of praise written by so many perfumistas whose opinions I respect, that I finally tried that creation and feel shortly thereafter in love. I now own two bottles, one made in the United States and the other made in Switzerland, and both of them smell great, once one gets past the bitter chamomile opening.

With HAPPY, I had some serious baggage to deal with and barriers to surmount. Several years ago my sister sent me one of her generous gift packages filled with ceramics (she's an artist) and various snack items and usually a couple of random and unpredictable "things". In this particular package, she had also "thrown in"--just in case I might want them--about five or six Clinique HAPPY minis which she had accumulated from gwps but did not use. She warned me that, in her view, the true name of HAPPY should be MISERABLE.

I stowed the minis away among a bunch of others and swiftly forgot about them. When I began reviewing perfumes in December 2009, I noticed that the Clinique company does a pretty good job of distributing samples of HAPPY, because I always seem to be finding them, and each time they remind me of the minis, and each time I remember why I never really want to sample this perfume.

On this historic night, with a hot bath on the horizon, I took out one of the fresh samples of HAPPY and sprayed it on. In a moment's time, I realized that my sister was right. This is just horrible. It smells like orange cleaning products to me, not all-natural orange-scented cleaning products, but foul-smelling orange Windex.

Based on the reviews I've seen, HAPPY seems to be a fairly polarizing composition, with people generally lining up in either the love or the abhorrence camp. So I am aware that this fragrance has its fans, and my guess is that this particular combination of chemicals is quite compatible with some people's physiological constitution, and according to them, HAPPY is an excellent citrus scent. To me and those of my ilk, this smells like the emanations from an organic chemisty lab and so off-putting that I just want to wash it off.

My sister and I are similar in many ways, and I have to say that I agree in this case, that wearing Clinique HAPPY is not a pleasant experience at all. I cannot say that I feel miserable, but unhappy might be a fair assessment of the effect of this fragrance on me.

Now It's time for that bath...
5.0 7.5 7.5 4.0/10

Moderately Happy
A happy fruity floral scent with a faint note of lily-of-the-valley and a hint of musk in the drydown, but only a hint, because the oranges, mandarines & other assorted citric-fruits drown everything else out.

I love orange notes in happy summer scents, but for my taste there are too many heavy fruit notes going on in this fragrance. I couldn't wear it everyday and I find I can't wear it the whole day long either. A scent for those that love orange enough to smell it all day long. I would say this is a day wear scent only, and would be great for a summer holiday. Silage is "I can smell fresh oranges all around me" and the longevity is 5+ hours. Definitely sample before purchase.

To satisfy my orange need in a perfume bottle I prefer Cacharels Liberté far more. It has just enough fruity orange to give me that happy feel, yet is mixed in such a way that other lovely notes -like patchouli- help the orange to find some balance and stop it from feeling too overpowering on the fruit front.
5.0 5.0 5.0 5.0/10

Popular citrus fragrance
I tried Happy for the very first time in a large department store whilst on holiday in Melbourne. I instantly loved it and quickly added Happy to my perfume wishlist. I was shocked when I heard how many negative reviews this perfume had been given and I found it extremely hard to understand why... until today. I entered that same department store, (except in a different location), where they had a Happy tester bottle waiting to be sprayed. I tried it, and was utterly shocked! I now know what people meant when they said that Happy smelt like burnt rubber and licorice.

Happy does not have a very long shelf life. It has been known to go off in as little as 8 months. Many tester bottles are kept out in the open, exposed to light and heat which will naturally see them deteriorate faster.

My advice to you, is if you have had a similar unpleasant experience, I suggest you buy from a trusted dealer, especially a place that sells Happy at such a rate that they have to renew their stock every 6 months.

Jazzy76 21 days ago
apparently minimal and clean, it's a multifaceted fragrance with fruity accents and a gentler and more flowery heart. A little evanescent
5.0
LauraBella 22 months ago
Should come with complimentary pom-poms. Too citrus for my taste. Hyper, unanchored, and definitely notice the alcohol scent.+4
4.0

by Hamraz
by NikkRouse10
by NikkRouse10

Popular Clinique

Aromatics Elixir (Perfume) by Clinique Happy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Clinique Happy (Perfume) by Clinique Aromatics In White by Clinique Wrappings by Clinique Simply by Clinique Aromatics In Black by Clinique Calyx (2014) by Clinique Beyond Rose by Clinique Happy Heart by Clinique Aromatics Black Cherry by Clinique Aromatics Elixir Perfumer's Reserve by Clinique Happy in Bloom 2006 by Clinique Happy To Be by Clinique Chemistry by Clinique Aromatics Elixir Velvet Sheer Philtre Sensuel by Clinique Aromatics Elixir (Eau de Toilette) by Clinique Happy Heart 2012 by Clinique Happy in Bloom 2010 by Clinique Happy Summer Spray by Clinique