Wrappings 1990

Wrappings by Clinique
Wrappings is a popular limited perfume by Clinique for women and was released in 1990. The scent is green-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Limited Edition

Perfumers

Elie Roger, Firmenich

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Mugwort, Herbaceous notes, Lavender, Mace
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Carnation, Hyacinth, Jasmine, Rose, Sandalwood
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Moss, Musk, Patchouli, Cedar

Submitted by Sani, last update on 06.01.2021.

Flash Commentary: Rumpelstiltskin at the Beauty Farm
NAME

What sense the name Wrappings (wrappings, wrapping papers, and a few more facets) for this fragrance has, I do not understand. What is certain, however, is that the fragrance by this name becomes the absolute set test candidate for the second Christmas holiday, the traditional day of bringing down the wrapping papers to the garbage can.

BRAND

Clinique is a US brand focusing on body and face care for the lady. In between, it had to call itself Linique in Europe times, because regulators or courts were of the opinion, Clinique sounded as if the anti-wrinkle creams and face masks had a medical benefit. For some time now you've been reading Clinique again, apparently the company has been in a legal battle and won. Fragrances are not part of the core business.

Fragrance

With the brand, one expects an unexciting, soft-creamy, somewhat boring to stuffy women's fragrance, whose claim to originality at best reaches as far as that of fragrance oils in the wellness sector.

Here, however, a wood gnome, perhaps Rumpelstiltskin, seems to have managed to break open the spa window and perform wild dances and archaic rituals nightly between the massage tables.
Indeed, we are met here by an extremely pithy and extremist green chyproid who has washed (or actually rather: who has not washed). Wrappings is everything that is green, from the entire kitchen herb bed of the monastery garden (though trampled and vandalized) to peppermint, moss, leaves and weeds. Further from the forest each a touch of berries, honey and wood.

In addition, lush flowers, but not a discreet bouquet in pastel, but a grobianisch zusammengeraffte heap of proletarian forest and meadow flowers, of which equal with plucked roots still generously earth trickles onto the sparkling white marble floor tiles of the Institut de Beauté.
CONCLUSION

Although no galbanum is listed: a rabid green fragrance that immediately made me think of Vol de Nuit. However, a direct similarity is not present, for that Wrappings is too telluric. Not a night flight, but a night hike through the woods, a randonée de nuit. One of the most unusual and original scents I have ever smelled. Very nice, unusually nice, but I practically can't imagine it on me, maybe because my name isn't Rumpelstiltskin. Definitely worth testing. That he has crept into the Clinique portfolio of all things and held there for 30 years, I rate as subversive irony.

DISCLAIMER

Tabla I thank you very artfully for this testing opportunity. According to your source, this is the original 1990 formula. Vintage this fragrance certainly smells.
So especially Bämm
I try to describe the scent for me: strange that it is only in winter and at Christmas time in the shops. In my opinion, it's a summertime hoot! Yeah, I mean, it's a real hoot... because wrappings don't come on quiet paws... it makes bämmm and for me it should. Fresh and spicy and tart and yet somehow very feminine. Especially in this fragrance category it lasts... and also a powerful Sillage. It is certainly not everybody's cup of tea to be wrapped in herbs and moss and maybe get stings from nettles on the side. This is how I would describe the whole thing and if there was not only a bottle with 25 ml but with two liters i would be the one to buy it! For me an absolute happiness maker.

Truly one of a kind
I have never smelt anything like Wrappings. To my nose it is much more interesting than Aromatics Elixir. It's so unusual, awkward and peculiar! A true gem. It's really a shame that Clinique only releases it next to Christmas time.

The opening can scare you, beware. It's a clash of green and blue, of white and brown. Masterpiece!
Tabla
Long time the signature scent of one of my dearest sisters...
...because I gave it to her over and over again.
No, no, no....... not unken, he is super.

At the beginning wonderfully refreshing, herbal and something else... without first having a clue is how to proceed. I am aware that this is quite unusual in the ides of oud, tonka bean and incense, which often start with fresh ingredients, but where you can already see at the entrance how far down the party is already in full swing.
Macis delivers a restrained spice, but without the need to suspect at the beginning of the story that they might end up with gentlemen who have to play chess in one of the city parks until they can pick up their classic cars again from the maintenance (terrible idea of such a classic car nowadays). The head simply rounds itself off with it and the olfactory brain turns contentedly to something new. Knowing that this will not be all. There's something else...

Ahhhh, the initial Aldehyd Accord was there all the time and has been working on the plot. From now on a flower poem is noted, very lyrical, but not epic, rather in bouquet form. You'd call it poetry slam these days. Mano man, should wrappings be discovered by the poetry slammers, Zadig&Voltaire would be history on the spot.
After some time the flowers bed down on leather and moss and the real affair can begin with patchouli, while they float on their raft of cedar wood, further on the aldehyde stream towards the delta, but that is still very far away ............
Horny somehow
I got a sample of this stuff after I entered the keywords 'fresh' 'green' 'flowery' 'striking' or something like that.
The scent arrived and I thought 'wow' and then nothing for a while. I was stunned! That was supposed to be a perfume? Maybe a sauna infusion or a herbal beer concentrate?
Sniff it again.
Wow!
Off on the back of your hand. Something unfolds.
I think I'm standing in the woods. Golden forest and green forest. Sun rays and wet moss.
Rot, sprout.
Green freshness, withered leaves.
I see wood anemones and hedgehog shit.
Forest finished, monastery ruin, herb garden, witch garden. Mugwort runs through the whole composition. Bitter herbs, sweet herbs, bitter herbs. Oh magical green magic glory, don't let me go!
And honestly, I wake up at night and I'm thirsty for that scent, sleeping next to it. Everything becomes clear, pure, fresh and green green green ...

As a potion? Okay, always with me, in my rock crystal flask. In my green-leather belly bag.
Perfume? I don't dare.
Maybe Tilda Swinton. Or that aunt of Harry Potter... what was her name?

by Turandot
by Philosykos
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular Clinique

Aromatics Elixir (Perfume) by Clinique Aromatics In White by Clinique Aromatics In Black by Clinique Happy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Clinique Beyond Rose by Clinique Happy (Perfume) by Clinique Aromatics Elixir Perfumer's Reserve by Clinique Chemistry by Clinique Aromatics Black Cherry by Clinique Calyx (2014) by Clinique Simply by Clinique Aromatics Elixir Velvet Sheer Philtre Sensuel by Clinique Aromatics Elixir (Eau de Toilette) by Clinique Happy Heart by Clinique My Happy. - Lily of the Beach by Clinique Happy in Bloom 2006 by Clinique Happy To Be by Clinique Happy Heart 2012 by Clinique Aromatics Elixir Premier Edition Prestige by Clinique Happy Summer Spray by Clinique