No. 1 for Men (2001)

No. 1 for Men by Clive Christian

No. 1 for Men is a popular perfume by Clive Christian for men and was released in 2001. The scent is floral-powdery. It is still in production.

Patricia Choux

Top Notes Top NotesTarragon, Grapefruit, Cardamom, Caraway, Lime, Mandarin, Nutmeg, Paprika
Heart Notes Heart NotesHeliotrope, Iris, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 09.04.2019

Shimmering Haze
2018-03-13-09-## UTC

"Shimmering haze
Is in my brain ... "

I've said this elsewhere, & I'm not a sycophant of the perfume manufacturers, nor am I purist who scorns discussing price, & it is this: is not this a pure undiluted perfume oil, & EDP is usually 20% perfume oil? - which means that £300 for this 30ml is equivalent to 150ml of EDP, or perhaps 100ml of stronger EDP @ that price? which although high-end, is not stratosphærick. I think it's generally much above this price-brackett that people start getting ^seriously^ alarmed & forensic about the price; although of course we are devoted 'fume-heads, & non-'fume heads think we're utterly barmey of course!

As for the 'fume itself: well, I would say so far it's delivering pretty much what I would expect of a £2 to £3 per ml 'fume, & I scaled down the amount I put on according to the assumption that it is pure perfume oil (which is easy, as there is an unusually good pump & nozzle such that the spray is nice & even & devoid of dribbling), and I'm getting this very heady shimmering haze of perfumigation. It's a fine-floral kind of affair, at least superficially - but - in another review I read elsewhere, the reviewer dismissed this as being reminiscent of a mixture of insect block & manure; & I, on the basis of squirting it onto card thought "skanky-skatty-funky!? uw must be juxing! have uw got the right bottle there?", but now I think I might be getting it, but my slant on it is ^completely^ different, & I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that skank-skat-funk has been integrated into this composition with a most extraordinary artistry. I wouldn't say they dominate or exceed - not remotely so - I think that reviewer must have been præternaturally sensitive to such notes (or possibly determined to scathe this 'fume for some private reason); and whilst I said floral, I don't really think so really, forthat the aroma is so very exalted it just goes way beyond that - shimmering, shimmering. I think I'm going to like this!

In fact, this is so musky, it's just so insanely musky that that this is - 'a ~musk-bomb~' doesn't do it justice - it's a ~musk depleted-uranium-tipped armour-piercing HNHAIW hayrick-charge~! Which is particuarly fittting, I think, as it is a ^piercing^ aroma. One would expect it to be rather delicate on basis of initial impression; but it certainly is not! It's like a diamond cutting wheel slicing into one's olfactory faculty; but smoothly, without ripping @ the edges. If uw're somewhat pacifistick & uw eschew such figures, then broaching that of cake instead: this is like, rather than a pastry with a bit of cream in it, it's more like a big blob of double Channel-Island-cow cream with a few bits of pastry stucken-in to give it comestibility - and proper fine pastry @ that, & a bit of ripe fruit. And it seemith veritably to shine.

I think I'm going to enjoy this one!
7.5 5.0 2.5 7.0/10

Drseid
Number One Poor Fragrance Investment...
No. 1 for Men on skin all but immediately goes straight to the floral heart notes of powdery heliotrope and iris, a subtle jasmine and rose, and an almost banana and honeyed frankincense-like ylang-ylang floral as the primary heart note. Base notes of tonka bean, sandalwood, amber and vanilla sweeten the now receding powdery florals further in the dry-down almost to the point of the scent becoming too sweet, but stopping just short. Projection is below average and longevity is below average to average.

No. 1 for Men is a very nice pleasant smelling unisex floral composition that while not really my kind of thing is well put together. The ylang-ylang really dominates the other florals here, with the heliotrope and iris adding powdery support and the rose staying well in the background but still detectable albeit quite subtle. Subtlety in general can sum up No. 1 for Men, as it really is rather conservative for a floral and is relatively easy to wear for just about anyone. I particularly like the honey-like nature in the heart that pervades the florals to give No. 1 for Men a nice sweet overall character. What I *don't* like is the ridiculous price it sells for. At $100 for 50ml I would continue singing No. 1 for Men's praise, but at $865 you have got to be kidding me! I won't unfairly mark down the composition due to the pretentious and insultingly snobbish marketing on the bottle as "The World's Most Expensive Perfume" nor its entirely unreasonable wallet busting price-point but even though the scent earns a very good 3.5 stars out of 5 rating for its smell, the value for the money and marketing from Clive Christian does not even merit one star. I recommend getting a free sample of this just to say you have tried it, but in no way would I ever buy or recommend this at anywhere near its retail price. Shame on you Clive Christian!

Lexa 2 years ago
White flowers,whole bouques of them.And somewhere in between there is something sultry,but have no idea what...civet maybe? Hardly for a man+2
10.0

by Cezar
by Lopezgj
by Lopezgj

Popular Clive Christian

1872 for Men by Clive Christian X for Men by Clive Christian No. 1 for Men by Clive Christian C for Men by Clive Christian No. 1 for Women by Clive Christian L for Men by Clive Christian X for Women by Clive Christian 1872 for Women by Clive Christian V for Men by Clive Christian C for Women by Clive Christian V for Women by Clive Christian Noble VII - Rock Rose by Clive Christian Noble VII - Cosmos Flower by Clive Christian L for Women by Clive Christian Noble VIII: Rococo - Immortelle by Clive Christian X Tabac by Clive Christian X Myrrh by Clive Christian Noble VIII: Rococo - Magnolia by Clive Christian AddictiveArts - Jump Up and Kiss Me Ecstatic by Clive Christian Private Collection - L: Woody Oriental by Clive Christian