Chalayan Airborne (2011)

Chalayan Airborne by Comme des Garçons

Chalayan Airborne is a popular perfume by Comme des Garçons for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is being marketed by Puig.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Neroli, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesMastic resin, Juniper berry
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Frankincense, Cedarwood

Submitted by Barney, last update on 28.03.2019

Postmodern lentiscus
Airborne opens with a bitter, crunchy, herbal green accord surrounded by spices and lifted by crisp, zesty lime/citrus notes, slightly creamy on the base (sandalwood?) and overall showing the usual “synthetic” clean look of most of recent CdG’s. The juniper is quite loud and sharp initially, and so is the lentiscus note, which I must say it’s much compelling and realistic: it smells indeed of those Mediterranean bushes on the sea, with their aromatic, dry, somehow shady somehow fruity aroma. Once the head notes vanish the lentiscus note emerges even clearly, and still much realistic. Lentiscus is one the few materials I can say I know fairly well, because my family comes from the coast of West Sardinia on the Tyrrenian Sea, and we’re full of lentiscus there. And sniffing Airborne really feels like breathing that air – and it’s curious how it manages to smell clean, thin, sharp and “synthetically contemporary” as per CdG’s style signature, yet effortlessly natural, vibrant and realistic, with also a veil of melancholic “grayness”, arid and austere. The drydown is a bit disappointing though, as this “realistic” feel soon vanishes and a dry, synthetic woody note remains – quite sour and rubbery, frankly boring after a while. Nonetheless, a good scent!

7/10
2.5 5.0 5.0 1.0/10

Air Sickness Bag Please!
This starts out with a large blast of Vodka accord followed by a Juniper/Gin note and bitter lemon rind. This seems hard, herbal and icy to me. Quicky this morphs into an ISO Super-E , Lime and Pepper situation, very much like Escentric 01. Probably better on a man but with a respectable sillage that could work for either day or night attire. There's a little wood in the drydown that I am unfamiliar with, but not enough to ground this into a wearable scent for me personally. That synthetic Frankincense note really overwhelms me and I feel like the flight attendant has just encountered turbulence and spilled a tray of Gin & tonics all over my lap. This is not loud but it is distinctly unpleasant unless you like that juniper-Neroli-Frankincense trio. Overall I wouldn't mind smelling this on a male co-worker at the office as long as I was secure in the knowledge that we would not be trapped in the elevator together. However, if I was sitting on a plane wearing this I would make a B-line to the cramped little restroom as soon as the "fasten seat belt sign" went off to scrub it.

by Siebter