Comme des Garçons 1994 Eau de Parfum

Version from 1994
Comme des Garçons (1994) (Eau de Parfum) by Comme des Garçons
Bottle Design Rei Kawakubo, Marc Atlan
Comme des Garçons (1994) (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Comme des Garçons for women and men and was released in 1994. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Mark Buxton

LabdanumLabdanum StyraxStyrax CedarwoodCedarwood CardamomCardamom CinnamonCinnamon Black pepperBlack pepper HoneyHoney RoseRose CloveClove NutmegNutmeg FrankincenseFrankincense SandalwoodSandalwood

Submitted by Sani, last update on 15.04.2022.

Fond memories rediscovered
I first tried the original Comme des Garcons not long after it was first released in 1994 when I was just starting to get into fragrances. It was love at first sniff. My girlfriend at the time also loved it. I immediately bough a bottle. My girlfriend would spritz herself whenever she visited.
My then uneducated nose had not smelled anything like it. And at the time, there were probably few fragrances on the market like it. It smelled like a delicious, pungent Indian curry: cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, pepper and other spices but nothing with heat such as chilli. All softened slightly by honey.
I wore it regularly in cool weather for about 10 years.
When it was then discontinued for a while it was like the death of an old friend, and a marker of the end of my youth. I missed it often.
CdG then re-released it again about 10 years ago. Rediscovering it again was re-uniting with an old friend you hadn't seen in years. Again, I immediately bought a bottle.
But by then I was 20 or so years older than the first time I wore it and my nose was somewhat more educated. The 'curry' smell was still the same and still potent, but it now clearly smelled like a simulation of 'curry' made from some natural ingredients and a lot of aroma chemicals. It smelled good but I now had other fragrances that were clearly better.
My girlfriend from the '90s is now a dear old friend. She still 'borrows' it whenever she visits.
So I still wear it occasionally, but more for the fond memories it recalls than its smell.
I suspect many readers here have a similar relationship to a fragrance they wore many years ago: one that reminds them of an era and their youth.

Heavy and medicinal
This is an older review of mine.

I was a bit anxious to try this one and somehow I'm glad that I have. I now know this fragrance is NOT for me, at all. The opening is very strong, but it softened, as mentioned by others. But I just can't get passed the strong medicinal smell. The cinnamon is strong in the opening, along with the cloves and nutmeg. After that I get a very strong honey vibe, but not in a sweet way, more like cough syrup. I washed it off after half an hour, I gave up on liking this.

I can understand it was a "different" perfume in 1994. It's still different now, but we are used to a lot more different kinds of perfume so we are less surprised now than 20 years ago. It is still different though and it will not be for everybody. It's not an everyday scent, but I could see people wearing it. It's not weird, it's just very strong and it has a very big love or hate factor.

The 360 degree trickster
Cloves should be listed in the top AND heart notes of this Comme des Garcons creation.
How this is not the case is quite beyond me, because it's pretty much all you can smell for a good part of this perfume’s life.

It opens loud, spicy, raw, and almost acrid.
Scary in fact.
An assault on the nostrils making you think that perhaps it wasn’t such a good idea after all.

And then slowly slowly, a smooth transition starts to take place.
The cloves’ intensity decreases, pushing the honey into the foreground.
This is how it continues until the changeover is complete and you are left with a sweet and lush golden honey scent.

Quite a brilliant tour de force!

The Original Spice Bomb
The original COMME DES GARCONS is a serious spice bomb. No surprise, really, given the line-up of notes: pepper, cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon, coriander, and, it seems to me: CLOVE!!!!

This perfume--and concentration-wise, it is a perfume, not an eau de parfum--reminds me vaguely of Kenzo JUNGLE L'ELEPHANT. To be more precise, COMME DES GARCONS is like the spice core of JUNGLE L'ELEPHANT, without any of the moderating elements, the fruit, the vanilla, the patchouli.

It is unclear to me why anyone would categorize this creation as a chypre, given its lack of patchouli, oakmoss, etc. Yes, there is a bit of labdanum, but it is overwhelmed by the styrax, with the result that, to me, COMME DES GARCONS could actually be the Platonic Form of Oriental Perfume in which all other aspirants vaguely participate.

Intense, is the word to describe this composition, which must be applied very lightly in order to be appreciated. Lacking, as it does, a significant base--or perhaps it is simply overwhelmed by the spices?--this perfume blends well with straight-up ambers to make a somewhat more wearable composition.

I like COMME DES GARCONS, but it has not induced in me the sort of eschatological delivery reported by other reviewers.

A very interesting journey
I was so disappointed with the opening of CdG. It was exactly like Cepacol mouthwash -- a terrible, sickly, medicinal smell that I remember from my childhood.

Fortunately, the Cepacol disappeared, and was replaced by a delicious combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom.

The heart unfolded as primarily cedar on me, with just a tinge of coriander on the periphery.

I experienced the base first as honeyed sandalwood, but then came intermittent wafts of incense with a touch of pepper.

Last to arrive was a large dose of the complex presence of labdanum, which, to me, is often like honeyed leather. The honeyed leather is definitely here, but in this case, the labdanum was also sometimes smoky and and sometimes marshy. It was like turning a ball of labdanum in my hand, and experiencing every one of its aspects, watching it change in differences of light.

What an interesting journey! But definitely not for the faint of heart.

ModusModus 1 year ago
I have nothing more pleasant, more chic, more urban, stylish and complex in my collection. This might be my holy grail.

Lightroom
by AmyAmy
by Oscarsh86
by Oscarsh86

Popular by Comme des Garçons

Series 3: Incense - Kyoto by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Avignon by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons Floriental by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons Black Comme des Garçons by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent Three: Sugi by Comme des Garçons Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons Series 4: Cologne - Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons Play Green by Comme des Garçons Daphne by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons Blackpepper by Comme des Garçons Serpentine by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons Dover Street Market by Comme des Garçons Artek - Standard by Comme des Garçons Rouge by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Ouarzazate by Comme des Garçons