Daphne by Comme des Garçons

Daphne is a popular perfume by Comme des Garçons for women and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by Puig.

Antoine Lie

Amber, Bitter orange, Iris, Oud, Patchouli, Saffron, Tuberose, Tunisian jasmine, Vanilla, Frankincense, Rosa centifolia

Submitted by Murcielago, last update on 10.08.2018

10.0/10

quirky
This is how I expected Histoires de Parfums Tubereuse Animale to smell but it was more puddy cat than prowling big cat. The saffron gives off a strong, bitter, leathery accord in Daphne and holds its own against the usually overpowering tuberose. These two ingredients and an incense note, appear instantly on spraying and last throughout the lifetime of the scent, which at 6 hours of wear is still going strong on me. I can smell the patchouli and oud but they are not major players in this. Neither are the rose or jasmine. I do pick up a bittersweet note which I assume is the bitter orange, like how marmalade tastes. I adore tuberose but this is a tuberose unlike Fracas or Carnal Flower. It's the antithesis of Chasse aux Papillions. If Chasse aux Papillions was Snow White, Daphne is Snow White with tattoos (tasteful ones anyway)who doesn't wait for Prince Charming to break the spell, she does it herself. This scent suits the quirky, ever so eccentric Daphne Guinness to a T. Sillage is good and as I mentioned earlier, so is the longevity. I will warn that this scent will only endear itself to those who enjoy scents off the beaten path. This is not a girly girl scent even if it's labelled for women and would wear comfortably for a male.
5.0 7.5 7.5 9.5/10

A different modern tuberose
Daphne has a kind of retro feeling interestingly updated by the inclusion of oud in the base notes. It is all about tuberose and incense but while at the beginning the bitter orange note create a very nice and special medicinal effect, the middle development of the scent becomes more spicy and introduces the rest of flowers with the vintage effect ( I feel the iris+ rose powdery soft explosion) and as the result of their combination with the woody notes which predominate in my skin over amber and vanilla, there to keep it warm. The final stage is a warm dark incensed but paradoxically still bright orange woody tuberose which stays close to skin in a marvelous way.

Sillage is very good during the first hour, later as I mentioned becomes almost a skin scent. Unfortunately it isn't very long lasting on me but good and interesting enough to deserve its position in my wardrobe. Ordered, now waiting for it.

Not a daily scent, an evening and night out one I'll say.

If you are tuberose hunter this is a must try. Please do so on your skin. This one definitely needs to be warmed up by body to enjoy all its stages.

Full and lush
When I initially tried this perfume in the small 1ml dabber samples, I got a ton of tuberose right up front. I very much enjoyed it and ended up purchasing a bottle.

This is a perfume you have to give time to dry down, nor can you over-spray. You will regret it if you over-spray trust me.

Initial spray (even on me) doesn't smell so hot nor was it like the samples, I thought I had the wrong perfume!

Initial saffron/wood/oud
Then Floral/orange/wood/incense/oud
Then Amber/Patchouli/wood/incense/oud

You smell so much stuff in this perfume that it can be overload, but for me, the ride was so much fun and I enjoyed all of it. I'm sure when I wear it again (this evening) it will probably smell totally different!

Lasting power is very long, I can still smell the spot I sprayed yesterday afternoon, and, single spray you can smell at arms length. No need to apply too much.

What I didn't get was powder. I got small amounts in the sample, but none when I sprayed directly from the bottle.

Now, take this part for whatever its worth but, as much as some don't want to say it, this is really a celebrity scent. Definitely more higher end that was you would normally see, and this is a celebrity perfume worth buying. This isn't your usual fruity floral celeb perfume. This is one made to appeal to a perfume connoisseur really.

However, you're getting a scent that will last a long time, morph into all types of configurations (its never boring thats for sure!) and strong enough were you really don't have to use much..should last ages.

This is the type of celebrity scent I wouldn't mind seeing more of.

Almost the Straw
Daphne Guinness is probably 1 ingredient away from being a total soup, but as it stands, it’s about as full a perfume as you can make. Citrus/resinous, hugely floral, incense/oud. And that’s just the starting place.

It seems to start as a sort of oud floriental with an enormous bitter, resinous orange note and saffron and I’d swear some bay or some other green culinary herb. From there it kaleidoscopes through densly floral combinations as well as classic amber, vanilla, patchouli accords. This is not so much a perfume with a classic three-tiered progression as one built of mostly basenotes. In this sense, it’s probably categorically closest to an oriental. Although they have different tones, the elements all seem to share roughly the same density. From the topnotes through the heartnotes they just bounce off each other and you’re constantly smelling some new accord take flight.

By the drydown, DG feels like an incense chypre, with a three-part patchouli/oud/labdanum combo in lieu of a classic moss/labdanum base. Oud is the overused, overstated perfume element of the last few years and due to its potent nature, it is usually at the heart of an accord. But using a moderate dose of oud along with patchouli and labdanum to resemble a chypre base seems like one of the more inventive uses of the material.

by 0815abc