Monocle Scent Two: Laurel 2009

Monocle Scent Two: Laurel by Comme des Garçons
Monocle Scent Two: Laurel is a popular perfume by Comme des Garçons for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Lemon, Thyme, Pepper, Cinnamon leaf, Galbanum, Laurel, Patchouli, Cedar, Violet, Oak

Submitted by Murcielago, last update on 19.10.2020.

This fragrance was created in collaboration with Monocle.

Dill distillate
A herbaceous, vegetable matter with dill being the dominant note. How you can see the French Lover in here is a mystery to me.

There's not much to say here. No major fragrance changes present. From beginning to end the fragrance is and remains a dill distillate. The drydown of Eloge du Traitre is very similar to this fragrance.

DonJuanDeCat
Stan laurel is a laurel??
Today I describe Monocle Scent Two: Laurel from Comme des Garcons, which was published in collaboration with Monocle, a lifestyle magazine with content mainly on culture and design. The name "Laurel" means laurel. And I must confess that I actually don't really know how laurels smell.

Well, let's see. To be honest, I didn't even know that Laurel meant laurel and I always assumed a name here, so I always have to think of the comedian Stan Laurel, who made me laugh endless times, especially in my childhood, and I still think he (and other comedians of his time like Oliver Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton etc.) but still great today! Who'd have thought the man was a laurel?! D

At any rate, the fragrance is said to have been inspired by a trip to Lebanon and its laurel soaps. It's always nice to experience the background of a scent, isn't it? :)

The fragrance:
The beginning of the fragrance is green and spicy. Besides general green notes I also smell herbaceous green scents like thyme, the other of these notes should be galbanum and laurels, but I can only recommend this here, because I don't really know how they smell, especially with the laurels as described before. Otherwise there is a spicy note of black pepper, which somehow goes well with the herbaceous notes. Then I smell the sweet and slightly spicy cinnamon as well as the patchouli.
Over time, woody notes are added, which become more and more intense. While here one could first speak of general woody notes, with time one recognizes the cedar in them better and better. For me, the sweetness no longer comes from the cinnamon (because it is getting weaker and weaker), but apparently from the indicated violets, which would also explain the slightly powdery note, although the sweetness itself seems more like amber to me. However, one still smells best the green peppery scents as well as the woods, so the general sweetness of the scent is rather low.
A little later, the fragrance remains woody and spicy (but also a little green in the background), and I have the feeling to perceive also a little resinous-smoky fragrances like incense or myrrh.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The scent is good for a person to smell, not over very long distances, but apparently some people could smell it well on me for a while, with most of the woody notes of it being perceived best.
The shelf life is pretty good with over eight or even ten hours!

The bottle:
The bottle is quite simple. It is transparent and rectangular and has a round label on the front, on which you can read the name and so on. The lid is chrome-plated and cylindrical. Looks to me very puristic and therefore not very spectacular. The rounder bottles of CdG are much more beautiful.

So, Laurel is a fragrance that comes along quite woody and spicy after a green beginning and has become an autumn and winter fragrance for me, which by the way smells quite masculine for me as unisex, which is due to the tart and especially dry-intensive woods and that the fragrance is also rather less sweet. For me, it is not a scent that I would use for going out, but for spraying during the day I find it quite successful for cool days.

Hmph! Unfortunately, I still don't know what laurels really smell like, because all the green notes mixed up quickly at the beginning and I could smell the thyme scent best among them. If someone knows a scent that smells really good of laurels, he or she could give me a hint :)

Of course I could also look outside for laurels, but you know exactly what my plant knowledge is like, especially with plants that just look like leaves to me and could be anything else :D

Coutureguru
Distinctive masculine powerhouse ...
This was a gift from a friend who knows I collect frags and every so often surprises me with something really different! Monocle Scent Two: Laurel is an outstanding fragrance from CdG … different enough to be noteworthy!

It is impossible to have such a large number of fragrances by a house without having the occasional bomb (I was thoroughly underwhelmed by Wonderwood) but most of the frags I have tried by CdG have agreed with my skin and I have liked … especially their Incense series. Monocle Scent Two: Laurel is an animal of a different nature.
Firstly, I have given this fragrance full marks for sillage and longevity, with the proviso that I wore it twice in hot, humid weather … and I characteristically oversprayed (lol). On both occasions I literally had people crossing the room to ask what I was wearing, and telling me that it was fantastic! I have yet to try it out in the cold so time will tell.
The bracing Lemon introduction segues quickly into a strong Pepper and warm Cinnamon accord that may be over the top for some. Also apparent quite fast is the abject dryness of Galbanum and then the aromatic herbal Laurel (or Bay) joins the party. The heart phase of this fragrance is quite green with a soft, incense vibe going on. By the time the base is reached the woods are going strong … sweetened a touch by the Violet.
Monocle Scent Two: Laurel is a densely aromatic fragrance that for me, personally, stands out of the crowd. I've read elsewhere that it is a rough representation of Malle's French Lover, but not having had the opportunity of ever trying that I cannot comment. Be that as it may, I was genuinely surprised (and delighted) by the positive feedback I had wearing this.

Comme des Garcons regularly pushes the envelope with its fragrant wares. It's wonderful to know that something can be as different as Monocle Scent Two: Laurel , and still be completely wearable!

KingPinKingPin 20 months ago
Very herbaceous and green, but a little bit harsh and peppery. Most importantly: wifey strongly disapproves.
PBullFriendPBullFriend 4 years ago
Fresh and aromatic. A sprig of dried eucalyptus & some carnation fronds blend with the rhododendron crown my brother wore for Halloween.

by Slickadam
by Slickadam
by Gumschel
by Gumschel
by MrFumejunkie
by MrFumejunkie

Popular Comme des Garçons

Series 3: Incense - Kyoto by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Avignon by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons Black Comme des Garçons by Comme des Garçons Series 4: Cologne - Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent Three: Sugi by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons Floriental by Comme des Garçons Play Green by Comme des Garçons Daphne by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons Dover Street Market by Comme des Garçons Serpentine by Comme des Garçons Artek - Standard by Comme des Garçons Blackpepper by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum by Comme des Garçons Wonderoud by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons