Series 3: Incense - Avignon 2002

Series 3: Incense - Avignon by Comme des Garçons
Series 3: Incense - Avignon is a popular perfume by Comme des Garçons for women and men and was released in 2002. The scent is smoky-woody. It is being marketed by Puig.

Elemi resin, Labdanum, Brazilian rosewood, Patchouli, Roman camomile, Vanilla, Frankincense

Submitted by Sani, last update on 15.01.2021.

TarTar 7 years ago

„Avignon”

FlavoriteFlavorite 7 years ago

„Something Wicked this Way Comes”

Can777
In the silence of thought
What I this Christmas at perfume probably put on and in which fragrance direction it will probably go? This question has probably so some here also already asked themselves. It will be an incense perfume with me! Why? Because incense is able to fulfill a lot of things after I long very much, in this very difficult time for all of us. Frankincense carries wishes to heaven and gives hope. Frankincense offers protection and keeps evil away. It cleanses the thoughts and the rooms. Frankincense is spiritual and takes us a little way to the threshold of God. And it is the white, smoky breath that is able to close wounds. Mentally as well as physically! Incense is a protective shield and keeps negativity away. It purifies the spirit, the soul and the body. Which incense perfume will I use on Christmas Eve? I will tell you. It is for me personally one of the most beautiful incense perfumes I know!
Avignon
Avignon tends not to be a cold incense scent like many others. Here the fair is not yet finished,but in full swing. He begins indeed with a slightly cool labdanum note which, however, rather like a slightly metallic-cool breeze. Relatively quickly, gentle warmth creeps in. Not much. More like a slight glow, a delicate sparkle of resinous, warm-smoky elemi comes in. A pleasant, soft resinousness spreads and is gradually accompanied by woody-creamy tones of still young rosewood. Chamomile adds delicate, herbaceous-soft chords. A cool earthy patchouli grounds the perfume in a very pleasant way before it joins spicy and softly smoky vanilla and becomes a great whole of sacred, holy, warming, protective and authentic incense. There may not be many notes,but they are "divinely" composed.

Conclusion
There are many smells and scents that symbolize Christmas for me. For example, cinnamon,anise,cloves,speculoos,almond and gingerbread. These are the childhood and physical joys and memories I associate with Christmas. But that is only a small part of it. Albeit a very beautiful one! The real Christmas and its deep meaning smells to me like church incense. After the holy, white smoke. It smells of silence, humility, charity and comfort. It is the smoke that carries thoughts, wishes and hope to heaven. Avignon is for me the olfactory holy night. Silence of thought, spiritual peace and security. Authentic and real to the last note. It must have been around this time just before Christmas many years ago, I met a friend in the evening as I was passing by. It was snowing and late. I was wearing Avignon. It was my first bottle at the time. We exchanged a few words and parted again. When we said goodbye he turned to me and said: Can,....You smell like Christmas! He felt Avignon the same way I did. Christmas Eve was in the air!

My dear friends,readers,perfumos!
This is my last comment for this year. I hereby thank you for many wonderful hours with you. For much joy and also some suffering what you have shared with me. For many enriching conversations, a lot of laughter and an incredible amount of warmth, empathy and humanity. It was a great pleasure for me to spend this year with you. In good times as well as in bad times. I wish you a blessed Christmas for you, your loved ones and families. And a hopeful new year. Stay healthy and never forget,.... each other well!

Sincerely and good smelling holidays.
Can

Airy coolness
Since I am a confessing incense fan, I had to test of course also THIS. And can only be thrilled again.
And incense scents can be as different as chypres, fougerés, floral scents etc.
"Series 3 Incense Avignon" has a very light, almost ethereal coolness, although the fragrance itself is quite strong.
Everything seems to cover the sky like a fine veil of clouds, forming little whirlpools, fringed "cotton balls", everything in light silver-grey under a blue sky.
It's as if I'm walking along a sunlit cloister in a simple monastery, no trace of anything "gloomy" and yet restrained in the intensity of the light.
I can also subtly perceive the spicy radiation of a herb garden in the background.
This smell does not show any heaviness, although nevertheless some at "substance" is present.
The last thing I can say is he's a relief to the mind.

Avignon - Comme Des Garcons
This is highly regarded as an incense/frankincense dominant scent. Part of the incense series released by CdG in 2002. Composed by Bertrand Duchafour. Enjoy.

Incense of Catholic liturgy
Avignon is a super realistic liturgical incense, a little monotonous for its linearity, but a delight for those who enjoy this type of compositions, to me, in particular, its aroma I love, but not its performance.

I am from an Andalusian village that loves Easter, and since I was a child I have lived with this kind of aromas, I have engraved it on fire in my memory. My brother is a costalero, and one of the founders of a brotherhood, and although I am not very religious, I have had to always live with this. I do not know if you know, but, at least here, each brotherhood uses its own incense, a mixture of a multitude of resins, flower petals, spices and wood shavings, which, although all are incenses, do not all smell the same.

This avignon in particular smells of incense of pallium, incense that is mixed to process the steps of the virgins. It is a more refined incense, sweeter and more floral, an authentic wonder, but it is not the liturgical incense that I was looking for. The incense that I look for is more of the Ambre Fetiche style, which, although it is an amber, evokes to me the incense of the thrones, that of the steps of mystery, which normally are smoky, bitter and rough incense, and more according to what I'm looking for, I hope that Full Incense, which comes on the road, is something more similar to what I'm looking for.

The performance in me is very correct, and little more, of good duration, but with a wake very close to the skin almost from the beginning, which I do not know if it will have been reformulated in this re-launch of the collection, by Comme Des Garcons , but, at least in me, it has not had the great performance that some comrades comment here and in other forums.

The use of the perfume is difficult to define, since it is a very specific smell to incense and not of common use, it is rather, an aroma for special occasions and of cold and temperate climates. As for his schedule of use, I think it's nocturnal, although its olfactory softness makes it appropriate to be able to dress it during the day as well.

If you are a lover of incense, it is a must, but be careful, because, in my opinion, it is too expensive for what it offers, its price is around € 80 and it is 50ml EDT, it is not even EDP, which is the same , even compensates, but seeing its performance, discards it from an upcoming purchase, although I do not rule out its purchase in the future and with some offer in between.

Sorry for my bad english.

Go to the church?
The best and most realistic Catholic Church frankincense ever created! Quite linear scent, but exactly the same feeling you have when you enter in a church where is burning frankincense. I never thought that was possible to reproduce exactly such magnificent scent... But I was wrong, Avignon changed my opinion. Magnificent resinous frankincense with a touch of natural vanilla. Master Duchaufour at is best level.

A bomb!
Love incense, frankincense, myrrhe...etc
Avignon is what other fragrances promise and you never get
I made a vid bcos it's easier for me than typing gators :p

Avignon
Who could find better name for this overwhelming fragrance? How could it be described without using pictures? (Ok, Miaw2 solved this question, but I am not enough factual for this.) When I first smelled AVIGNON, I used a very common and totally profane Hungarian expression for surprise: I shove off my hair!

When I sampled FULL INCENSE by Montale, my only one sigh was: If I would feel pure incense instead of this sweet mixture! As it would have been a pray, my wish was granted by AVIGNON.

Grey, ceremonial incense, fragrant as popedom and pray and cathedrals. Cold till shuddering, dusty, stony, and not smoky at all. AVIGNON gives wind to the soul and brings back to memories, to past, to ancient era. I am not christian, I was never enough brave to visit a mass, since I do not know, what should have done, how to behave myself to not make a mistake, so I visited churches only as a tourist. When a mass was celebrated there, I was just standing at the gateway and staring inward even as little child, and wanted to go in, but couldn't. (I can risk the statement, that scent of incense was one of the many reasons why I chose history for studying at the University.)
Now with AVIGNON on my skin I feel that I am not an outsider anymore in this sanctified area of prayer.

After 2 hours the incense flies higher, till the attic of the church, wooden timbers, and dusty, old, worn floorboard...

PS: I have a flacon of hair "styling-mousse" in the bathroom, almost the same design as AVIGNON, and when I shoot a glance at it, I am always so disappointed that it is only a poor hair cosmetic and not this beautiful perfume :D

Something Wicked this Way Comes
I must go against the grain, here, on this one and say that Avignon conjures the smell of a freshly opened Pharaoh's Crypt or Temple of doom...someplace old and evil smelling that has not been disturbed until some fool-hearty protagonist in rustic leather chaps swings in and desecrates the Mummy's tomb. This is a very ancient and musty incense to my nose, not at all a sensual experience that I was expecting. Admittedly, I don't have any scent memory or fond childhood association with catholic church mass incense balls. This is has a very dominant myrrh, dusty dead things, creepy crawlies, frankincense and rosewood combination that is very medicinal, linear and disappointing. I am indeed shocked that it gets such high marks, I must now investigate the rest of the CdG Incense series for a more exotic temple type incense, perhaps Kyoto or Hinoki from the Monocle series is the one for me? Avignon just makes the hairs on the back of my neck come up and I think of the expression "Something Wicked this Way Comes."

Pure incense! Great!
Opens with some kind of freshness(is that possible?) that remains for a while.

Then it does become a warm incense scent that smells slightly sweet, much probably by the vanilla.

It's hard to use because its very dense and smoky.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are great.

Updated January 2014
2.5
2.5

Incredible Incense...
A major success from Duchaufour. Avignon is exactly what I envision what a perfect pleasant smelling incense should smell like in real life. It has a very natural cedar and frankincense combo that is incredible smelling. The scent is quite linear, getting right down to business and staying there throughout. I can see some versatility issues with Avignon due to the nature of the scent, but the composition and smell are near-flawless. The only minor gripe I have is contrary to many of the other reviews, longevity on my skin is below average at about 5-6 hours. That said, Avignon is completely deserving of the high praise it has received here and elsewhere. Simply sublime. 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5.

TombbbTombbb 3 months ago
It is aged church wood all over it, but nicely touched up with something ethereal, but fresh - rose, maybe some other flower.

by sebjar
by sebjar
by AmyAmy
by AmyAmy
by Bernstein
by Bernstein

Popular Comme des Garçons

Series 3: Incense - Kyoto by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons Series 4: Cologne - Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons Black Comme des Garçons by Comme des Garçons Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons Floriental by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent Three: Sugi by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons Play Green by Comme des Garçons Daphne by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons Artek - Standard by Comme des Garçons Dover Street Market by Comme des Garçons Blackpepper by Comme des Garçons Serpentine by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent Two: Laurel by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum by Comme des Garçons 8 88 by Comme des Garçons Series 2: Red - Sequoia by Comme des Garçons