Series 3: Incense - Jaisalmer (2002)

Series 3: Incense - Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons

Series 3: Incense - Jaisalmer is a perfume by Comme des Garçons for women and men and was released in 2002. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Puig.

Cardamom, Frankincense, Cinnamon, Amber, Benzoin, Pimento, Berries, Gaiac wood, Ebony

Submitted by Sani, last update on 18.06.2020.

DonJuanDeCat
Cute little cloud of incense
CdG's Series 3 is a series in which each fragrance is intended to symbolise a particular faith. I always find such concepts quite interesting, no matter what it is. I like to see how a fragrance concept on a theme could work, and if the fragrance is really good to wear as a perfume, then so much the better.

Series 3, for example, has some great incense scents, in case you're a fan of these resin-smoky scents. Now with Jaisalmer, it's time for the Hindu faith, although you should always be careful with topics about faith in general, as people nowadays (or actually always have been...) seem to be more sensitive to this topic *sigh* Although in politics in general things don't look so rosy these days...

Hm,... maybe it would be best if we Parfumos (and of course Parfumas :D) would rule the world. We would love each other for sure, and maybe I would finally find out who really loves me here, mu ha ha ha :D

On the other hand, we would probably not get along either. Because I would probably insult you all the time because you don't put milk in your tea, you on the other hand would chase me because I don't like scents with coriander (somehow there seems to be a frighteningly high number of scent lovers who like coriander, brrrr...), or insult you all the time, or otherwise be mean (uuh, you somehow have more reasons against me...!). And then I wouldn't even be able to counter, because then you would point your finger at me and say: "There! That's him! The guy who likes to sniff women's perfumes! Remember him and watch him when he wants to sniff women's fragrances in a store, so that he feels watched and prefers to run away quickly! ... Ey, ... you are really cruel ... tsss ...

The smell:
Hm, I clearly smell cinnamon and incense. The incense is as usual smoky (or airy) and resinous, the cinnamon on the other hand exudes an interesting mix of sweetish scents and almost clove-like pungency.
A little later woody notes are added, which I think go very well with cinnamon and incense.
Towards the base, but also a little earlier, the sweetish fades away, so that the fragrance then smells more smoky or resinous. I also have the feeling that I smell a slight peppery note.
But the "pepper" does not last long, so that it soon smells more resinous again, but now much weaker. At the very end the scents are so weak that it smells only slightly like a sweet note with a little incense (and then quite close to the body).

The Sillage and the durability:
For an incense scent, the sillage is rather moderate, as the intensity is noticeably lower soon after spraying on. Thus, one will not leave a big scent cloud, with which one will probably be able to smell best only from the proximity.
I didn't find the shelf life very long, because after five to six hours the scent was already quite weak, so that you only noticed it as a lukewarm breeze or something like that.

The bottle! The bottle looks more like a shiny black deodorant can with a simple inscription as a fragrance name on it, which makes the whole thing look rather unspectacular, I think... well,... there are nicer bottles from CdG.

I also find this fragrance from this series successful. For me personally, it's not necessarily a candidate for purchase, but it's still quite nice. The combination of cinnamon and frankincense comes across well, provided, of course, that you like these scents. It could be that some incense feels a little bit churchy or religious (okay, that's also the sense in this fragrance series), but I think that you can use these fragrances "normally" quite well, but of course more in autumn and winter.

Sometimes the resinous incense even makes you feel as if your airways are being cleared :D
I think you could use the scent both daily and for going out, although when you go out it doesn't really look like a party scent and generally lies a little weak on the chest.

Soo... hmmm... what would the reign of perfume look like? We could try to capture the forum here and see how we would get along with each other! ... However, I'd better be quiet before the "other" Don here gets wind of the matter and banishes me from Parfumo forever and ever, aaargh, no!! :D
Oh yes... and if the Don actually writes to me, I know that someone among you readers has tattled on me!!!! DD

Holy Yet Human
If you like incense, but can't handle Avignon maybe Jaisalmer is the solution. In Jaisalmer incense is perfectly balanced with spices, amber and transparent woodiness. It possess the internal primordial duality: archaic by incense and contemporary by high concentrations of Iso E Super. Holy yet human. Those seeking for hedonism will enjoy in oriental spiciness of bazaar, while those seeking for internal peace will enjoy the clarity of incense. Jaisalmer represents the duality of live, perfectly shown by the perfumer Evelyne Boulanger.

Rating: 8/10

Big surprise
I am so glad to have a sample of JAISALMER! I like surprises, and this perfume fulfilled my need for new experiences!

I have never smelled this type of melange before. Incense is mixing with beautiful and pungent cinnamon in the head, later on clove engulfs the senses with a cryptic whisper of fankincense.
Both the beginning and the escalation is delightful and solemn.

Unfortunately when it gets near to the end, a metallic, citrus-like, fresh base erases my spicy pleasure, only a minimal incense level remains.

Before test I expected less, after the first hours I expected more than what I got.

A slow burning forest
I adore incense-based fragrances although it wasn't a scent I was familiar with until I dated one man that was a meditation fanatic, and then after that, a man who saw himself as one of those new-age hippies.

I had tried Heeley's Cardinal and Comme Des Garcons Avignon, both of them being rather similar, and believed that I had experienced everything that an incense-based fragrance could possibly achieve. I have since found Jaisalmer which has taken my love of incense to new heights.

I agree with Scorpiosheep (a reviewer on Fragrantica), that this fragrance is not so 'churchy'. It's more resinous, like the sweet, smokey scent of burning wood in a pine forest. It tends to smell very masculine, however on my skin it turns quite feminine and sensual. Delightfully mysterious actually.

The cinnamon is fairly heavy in the opening, as is the pepper which together create an interesting, spicy blend. The woodsy notes are strong contenders through to the heart where Jaisalmer gives me that outdoorsy type of sensation. Like wandering through the wilderness and not knowing what you'll discover.

This fragrance is indeed pungent, so I spray with caution and allow it to settle before leaving the house. Too much could easily be offensive, however I do believe compliments will be in order when I next wear this in public.

The longevity is extremely good, as reviewers have previously mentioned. I think Jaisalmer is one of those fragrances that will either be loved or hated. For those that like incense, amber, cinnamon, pepper or pine, or all of them combined, Jaisalmer is sure to impress. I'll just re-instate for those men looking at this page, wondering why it's listed for women, do keep in mind that Jaisalmer is intended to be unisex.
2.5
2.5

Callas
Incense in the linen cupboard
I had the problem a couple of years ago that clothes washed freshly came nevertheless smelling musty from the cupboard.
It lay by the way that I have too often washed only at 30 degrees.

Jaisalmer reminds me of this smell very much. Also because I thought at the laundry problem at first that it would lie at the wooden cupboard.
I otherwise like wood notes, I, however, feel her here very dryly, dustily really mustily.
Also I I have nothing against incense but this is here too superficial.

A more pleasant note develops on man skin here perhaps.
The smell isn't created for me.

HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
The combination of frankincense, guaiac, ebony and spices reminds of dry, but resinous pines with some fresh needles.

by Sherapop
by Sherapop

Popular Comme des Garçons

Series 3: Incense - Kyoto by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Avignon by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons Black Comme des Garçons by Comme des Garçons Series 4: Cologne - Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent Three: Sugi by Comme des Garçons Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons Floriental by Comme des Garçons Play Green by Comme des Garçons Daphne by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons Dover Street Market by Comme des Garçons Artek - Standard by Comme des Garçons Blackpepper by Comme des Garçons Serpentine by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent Two: Laurel by Comme des Garçons 8 88 by Comme des Garçons