Series 3: Incense - Kyoto (2002)

Series 3: Incense - Kyoto by Comme des Garçons

Series 3: Incense - Kyoto is a popular perfume by Comme des Garçons for women and men and was released in 2002. The scent is woody-smoky. It is being marketed by Puig.

Amber, Coffee, Patchouli, Everlasting flower, Teakwood, Vetiver, Virginia cedar, Frankincense, Cypress

Submitted by Sani, last update on 14.11.2019

8.0 8.0 8.0 9.5/10

The White Dragon
Deep and firm, the samurai was lost in his prayers. He was hardly seen because the prayer hall with the incense from the two huge golden kettles standing on the left and right side of the prayer shrine smoked so much that the room sank into a kind of semitransparent mist. Only the silhouette of the kneeling samurai could be seen from behind, who remained motionless and meditative in front of the shrine.

Buddhist prayers were heard. A choir of monks sang the old, holy scriptures in a kind of endless loop. Their singing sounded like the deep humming of hornets. You couldn't see her in the milky incense mist, but her humming song seemed to come from everywhere. Then the samurai moved slowly and raised with both hands the old, reverent sword from the cradle of the shrine. Slowly he pulled the sword out of the sheath until only the silvery white steel was visible. Then he began the ritual of soul purification.

The oils were precious. They stood in meticulous order before the one on the shrine. He reached for the brush bound from straw flowers and carried the first layer of oil on the blade. It was the finest vetiver oil earthy-green in fragrance. Then followed the second layer of cypress oil delicately acidic in fragrance. Then the third layer of cedar oil ethereally woody in fragrance. He carefully spread the individual layers with the brush on the blade. Then he began to polish her in even strokes with a silk cloth until she shone into an almost sterile shimmer.

Shortly afterwards he turned to the amber teak handle of the sword. Again he took the brush and painted the last layer with it. It was a mixture of the finest patchouli oil and the blackest coffee. In the smell delicately bitter and gently spicy. He carefully polished the fine oil into the teakwood handle until it shone in a matt, black tone almost as if it had been lacquered.
The cleansing ritual was completed!

The incense mist in the room had become so dense that the samurai could hardly be seen. Slowly he got up from his squat and turned around. His face was decorated with an ivory mask in the shape of a dragon. His lacquer-black hair was tied to a stern ponytail and fell over his shoulder as he turned. Almost hovering he went up to the center of the room and started his exercise of meditation.

He took the sword in both hands and led it with skilful movements against the white wall of incense surrounding him. The blade of the sword became faster and faster
pulled through the white smoke, creating a fine metallic chant that rose to an awesome melody with the monks' humming prayers. With each pull of the sword the smoke became less. Step by step the samurai pushed the foggy smoke aside.

Then he fell back on his knees and put the sword back into his vagina. The air in the room was suddenly crystal clear and pure. The smoke was gone,... obviously! But not quite!

Above the head of the samurai hovered a large white dragon made of dense incense. Slowly he meandered down to the resting samurai. He seemed to sniff at him gently before wrapping himself almost tenderly around the samurai like a white veil of light and smoke. The samurai took off his mask and laid it on the ground in front of him. Then he closed his eyes and took a deep breath and absorbed the white dragon with a single stroke until the dragon disappeared in him. Now he had reached absolute perfection and deepest, pure peace...now he was free!

Kyoto
There's nothing much left to say about this scent. I wrote everything down in my own way. Except one thing! The first bottle of Kyoto was sold to me by a Japanese guy with the words: "This perfume is absolutely awesome and perfect!
A man may defeat a thousand times a thousand men in one battle,
but the greatest fighter is the one who defeats himself.
-Buddha
10.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Historical
How do you feel, when you read the word: Kyoto? What does coming in your mind? Do you see something behind your closed eyes? What is it? What texture does it have? What kind of scent does it have?

BD grabbed these impressions and put them in the bottle. KYOTO is more masculine than feminine for my nose. A tart, fresh, salty fragrance, the incense is not agressive there, much less smoky than for example AVIGNON. The common point is the gloomy mood, the coldness, it seems that is an unavoidable feature of religious centers.

KYOTO is a good scent, elegant, but endurance and sillage is nothing special, and even though wearing this fragrance is comfortable and composing, I would not say, that it will be my favourite.
7.5 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Forest incense
I've never been in Japan. Some years ago I bought a bottle of this perfume, choosing among all of the series, since the effect on me of its top notes seemed to match the way my imagination drove me into a japanese temple, in the middle of a forest, in a wet day in Japan. I never regretted my choice of this instead of Avignon (a really catholic church incense scent whose memory was not so pleasant to me).
When I wore Kyoto, it became my signature for 2 months till the last drop. My feelings about it changed quietly along the time, as well as my soul became more and more pacified during that period...And with this beautiful and reassuring scent I revisited my memories of playing when a kid alone in the company of cypresses, some smoke being felt in the distance coming from my family home, in a winter end of sunday.
Cedar, cypress: I am now a lover of these two notes. And, above all, my crush on incense began here!
10.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Incense Ashes Liquefied + Crushed Sticks of Unburned Incense. in a word: Incense
Comme des Garçons Incense Series 3 KYOTO is burnt wood incense perfume with a slightly less burnt drydown in which tea appears also to be present. The composition does not have an oily or resinous texture at all, unlike most of the oudh perfumes I've tried.

KYOTO seems to me sometimes like incense ashes liquified but also, in turns, crushed sticks of unburned incense. That's about it for the development trajectory, though, as this is a fairly simple affair. I do not detect any floral notes at all, just incense in one form or another—there can be no denying that, as advertised, incense is the focus of this creation!

Despite the lack of a significant oily base, KYOTO has good staying power and fairly big sillage. I would not call this perfume either masculine or feminine but rather omnisex—or perhaps even asexual. Definitely a better choice for the fall and winter months. I'm not sure how this would work in the heat.

Kyoto is one of my favorites from this series--for what it is.
2.5 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Woods temple
After spraying on I was reminded spontaneously of the joss stick smells in Asia in our vacations if we have gone to Buddhistic/Hindu temples. The incense doesn't seem superficial there and he holds back discreetly also at Kyoto.
I am aware of him well but he doesn't crush me.

I am in the woods - cypress, junipers, firs and cedar wood radiate her woody, aromatic smell.
I was on a stroll with my husband in the afternoon. Unfortunately, the biting cold was missing but our way led at the edge of the forest for a long time. Kyoto has accompanied me wonderfully. The absolute dryness of the wood has a meditative, calming effect.
My husband likes the smell.
8.0/10

Flannelman
Pretty, elegant, very wearable incense and cedar
This is a pretty, elegant, very wearable incense and cedar fragrance with a delicate hint of fruitiness. It's soft, round and ethereal.

It is of course tempting to make a comparison with another incense and cedar fragrance: Christian Lacroix's Tumulte. They are undoubtedly in the same family, but there are important differences. Tumulte, for instance, is much, much dryer and has a definite harshness in the top notes. Kyoto on the other hand opens very smoothly and even with a hint of sweetness. There is also a difference on the skin: Kyoto seems to be warming it, while Tumulte does not. On the whole I would say that Tumulte is more rugged and masculine, Kyoto more elegant and peaceful.

If you like incense, try Kyoto. The olfactory trip it will take you on is well worth it...

Lillibet 21 months ago
A lovely cool, but not cold, incense fragrance with a lightly spicy green woody base. Wear to wander in a gallery for a meditative mood.+4
6.0