Series 3: Incense - Kyoto 2002

Series 3: Incense - Kyoto by Comme des Garçons
Series 3: Incense - Kyoto is a popular perfume by Comme des Garçons for women and men and was released in 2002. The scent is woody-smoky. It is being marketed by Puig.

AmberAmber
VetiverVetiver
Virginia cedarVirginia cedar
FrankincenseFrankincense
CypressCypress

Submitted by Sani, last update on 27.09.2021.

Amazona
Weih(r)auch for beginners in comparison
A lot of nice things have been written about this fragrance. He represents for me the first encounter with the topic incense. Parallel I have the "Mystic incense" of The Merchants of Venice in the test.
The brand CdG I quite like, the CdG2 I bought after long hesitation also as a Flacon. The is loud and fresh-fröhlich, the incense in it is perceptible, but very subliminal.
With Kyoto, it is quite different, although the CdG DNA , the light-synthetic, to smell.
This is a very fine incense mist that lays on the skin like a silk scarf. The scent is quite quiet, linear, remains cuddly and persistently smellable. I can't particularly highlight the other notes listed, but that's not significant. It's the overall artwork that counts. The scent is bright, powdery, smooth. So right for newcomers to the theme. The coffee note is also in the Mystic insence. This one is significantly louder, but also very nice. Here the date note and spices come out much more clearly.
The name Kyoto builds for me the mental bridge to the Japanese tea ceremony and meditation, pause, to this mood fits the fragrance excellent.
The Mystic insence fits Venice; a little louder, happier, more sociable.
In that respect, depending on your mood, I can recommend both scents for incense beginners. For incense lovers who want to linger next to the lit resin, both scents are not the right choice.
the second attempt
I still remember very well the incense sample collection that Meggi put together for me at the very beginning of my time here.
There were great scents, all foreign to me and my curiosity arousing.
And so I can still remember very well to have tested also "Kyoto" from the series 3 Incense by "Comme des Garçons".
But this fragrance refused me at that time and so he was allowed to travel on.

The current bottling of Yatagan lay around spurned for a long time, until I approached it again. I did not expect much from this second attempt, but as so often in recent times, I should be surprised.

After I left the rest area with the coffee-drinking hikers, the narrow, rather overgrown trail continues into the greenery.

(Once again, I have the "well-intentioned warning" ringing in my ear, "Put on proper shoes!")
Earthy and slightly damp, the spicy scent of vetiver surrounds me, accompanied by no less earthy dark brown patchouli; I feel somehow sheltered.
Pleasant silence surrounds me, only the soft rustling of the trees and now and then a rustle in the undergrowth can be heard: how soothing is this aromatic peace!
Suddenly I am standing in a clearing; unexpectedly it opens in front of me.
Surrounded by cedars and cypresses, proud and straight, there is a stone shrine; artfully carved and inlaid with fine teak.
Everything is barely weathered, as if an invisible protection has lain over it for years.
A bouquet of immortelles has been placed beside the metal bowl in which incense glows on glowing coals, mixing its mystical smoke with the scent of the immortelles.
In general, all the fragrances that surround me unite to form an olfactory dream in shades of green and brown that invites devotion.
A slight glow lies over the entire scenery: amber also glows in a similar bowl on the other side of this shrine.
To whom might it be dedicated?

Thus, "Kyoto" paints in rich colors a place that invites one to linger, to pray and to contemplate.
The silence that reigns there is interrupted only by the sounds of the surrounding forest; the gurgling of a spring can be heard in the distance: it belongs, of course, to this slightly enchanted place!

This feeling of smoky, woody security envelops me for a few hours and does me good.
Maybe then really wasn't the right time for "Kyoto" and me.
Perhaps the last very noisy and restless years have sensitized me to this fragrance; because I long very much for peace.
A certain relaxation spreads not only on my skin, but also inside me.
So I guess "Kyoto" will accompany me the next evenings and give me with a little luck quiet nights.
It would be worth a try!
This would be the first!
An apology
A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to test Kyoto again. Known to me for years, as I'm sure most of you are too. In my 5 year old statement, I only gave the fragrance a mediocre rating because I obviously didn't find the sillage, etc. sufficient. At the time, however, I at least conceded to Kyoto that it was meditative. Oh well! Such a statement is of course not fair to this exceptional fragrance.

Because an exception fragrance he is in any case. An incense fragrance and also not again. Kyoto is reminiscent of the ancient tradition of the Buddhist Kodo incense ceremony, which is still maintained today, in which various fragrant woods are burned, and the scent of the smoke is mixed with that of the wood. Not an opulent Arabic or darkly sacred tree resin incense, but a light, gentle, slightly cool smoke that gives the scent of the cedar and cypress wood room to develop. The special feature of Kyoto is that the smoke does not cover the smell of the woods and other ingredients, but allows a delicate interplay of smells.

In the base, the woods dominate with the support of patchouli and amber. Vetiver sets a clear green accent. A wonderful, green woody and grounded base.

Kyoto is not only very meditative, it is a clear, bright, extraordinary fragrance that conveys peaceful calm and serenity. With its interplay of smoke and wood, Kyoto never gets boring. Despite its particularity, it is perfectly wearable and, to my mind, elegant as well.

In my search for fragrances with bright incense, Sancti also ran across me at the time. Again, bright smoke, cedar and cypress. Sancti is for me to this day the fragrance that is most similar to Kyoto. Still, its citrusy freshness makes it seem completely different. I would love to wear Sancti on a summer evening, whereas with Kyoto I don't think about seasons at all. Kyoto doesn't know time and space and winter and summer.......

If I had to name a fragrance that evokes a similar mood in me as Kyoto, it would be 'Citta di Kyoto'. Both scents to exhale.....

So nothing to complain about at all? Yes, one tiny thing: I can't detect the coffee, but I can live with that. And before we get completely lost in meditation, here's a tangible little tree poem from one of my favorite authors:

"Cypress trees are by no means
only the tourists on the biscuit.
If the tourist is missing, the cypress
sometimes falls on its own face." (Robert Gernhardt)

I think the old Buddhists would have liked that too!
The fulfilling silence
It's like we're looking for something that will give us a good, decent, completely fulfilled, buoyant, inspired life, and we find it right here.
Pema Chödrön

Her life was full and she loved it. She loved the crowds, the hustle and bustle, the travel, the concerts and openings, she was fulfilled by her work. She had always felt a deep longing within her and was a seeker. There were moments when she stood on stage in the midst of others, when she was taken by the music and was one with the world. These moments were very precious to her and she knew that the outside, the art and the music, the people who were close to her, were an important part of her life. And yet there were also the phases when she wanted to retreat, when she wanted to be alone with herself, completely with herself.
When she felt that, she would pack few things, take her meditation cushion, a book and a few personal things and head to the forest cabin of a couple who were friends. Here, in the woods, she found the silence she loved so much - there was nothing here but her, the pillow, and the birds she heard as she sat on the porch of the cabin and meditated. She let it all get away from her. The hustle and bustle, the voices, the opinions, the expectations, the chores, and everything that filled her life. She was all there. Clear, arrived, aware. The silence that surrounded her was true and full of answers.

Commes des Garçons - Series 3: Incense - Kyoto is a fragrance that, for me, embodies that very stillness. It is minimalist, contemplative and exudes a calm and contemplation that is both nurturing and centering.
The top notes with coffee and cypress I perceive less, vetiver and incense, which are accompanied by woody notes, but very clearly.
When life is noisy, this fragrance is my nourishing source of silence.

Actually, Can's comment is so great that I shied away from a comment of my own for a long time. Here now my connection to this soul fragrance

The White Dragon
Deep and firm, the samurai was lost in his prayers. He was hardly seen because the prayer hall with the incense from the two huge golden kettles standing on the left and right side of the prayer shrine smoked so much that the room sank into a kind of semitransparent mist. Only the silhouette of the kneeling samurai could be seen from behind, who remained motionless and meditative in front of the shrine.

Buddhist prayers were heard. A choir of monks sang the old, holy scriptures in a kind of endless loop. Their singing sounded like the deep humming of hornets. You couldn't see her in the milky incense mist, but her humming song seemed to come from everywhere. Then the samurai moved slowly and raised with both hands the old, reverent sword from the cradle of the shrine. Slowly he pulled the sword out of the sheath until only the silvery white steel was visible. Then he began the ritual of soul purification.

The oils were precious. They stood in meticulous order before the one on the shrine. He reached for the brush bound from straw flowers and carried the first layer of oil on the blade. It was the finest vetiver oil earthy-green in fragrance. Then followed the second layer of cypress oil delicately acidic in fragrance. Then the third layer of cedar oil ethereally woody in fragrance. He carefully spread the individual layers with the brush on the blade. Then he began to polish her in even strokes with a silk cloth until she shone into an almost sterile shimmer.

Shortly afterwards he turned to the amber teak handle of the sword. Again he took the brush and painted the last layer with it. It was a mixture of the finest patchouli oil and the blackest coffee. In the smell delicately bitter and gently spicy. He carefully polished the fine oil into the teakwood handle until it shone in a matt, black tone almost as if it had been lacquered.
The cleansing ritual was completed!

The incense mist in the room had become so dense that the samurai could hardly be seen. Slowly he got up from his squat and turned around. His face was decorated with an ivory mask in the shape of a dragon. His lacquer-black hair was tied to a stern ponytail and fell over his shoulder as he turned. Almost hovering he went up to the center of the room and started his exercise of meditation.

He took the sword in both hands and led it with skilful movements against the white wall of incense surrounding him. The blade of the sword became faster and faster
pulled through the white smoke, creating a fine metallic chant that rose to an awesome melody with the monks' humming prayers. With each pull of the sword the smoke became less. Step by step the samurai pushed the foggy smoke aside.

Then he fell back on his knees and put the sword back into his vagina. The air in the room was suddenly crystal clear and pure. The smoke was gone,... obviously! But not quite!

Above the head of the samurai hovered a large white dragon made of dense incense. Slowly he meandered down to the resting samurai. He seemed to sniff at him gently before wrapping himself almost tenderly around the samurai like a white veil of light and smoke. The samurai took off his mask and laid it on the ground in front of him. Then he closed his eyes and took a deep breath and absorbed the white dragon with a single stroke until the dragon disappeared in him. Now he had reached absolute perfection and deepest, pure peace...now he was free!

Kyoto
There's nothing much left to say about this scent. I wrote everything down in my own way. Except one thing! The first bottle of Kyoto was sold to me by a Japanese guy with the words: "This perfume is absolutely awesome and perfect!
A man may defeat a thousand times a thousand men in one battle,
but the greatest fighter is the one who defeats himself.
-Buddha

Historical
How do you feel, when you read the word: Kyoto? What does coming in your mind? Do you see something behind your closed eyes? What is it? What texture does it have? What kind of scent does it have?

BD grabbed these impressions and put them in the bottle. KYOTO is more masculine than feminine for my nose. A tart, fresh, salty fragrance, the incense is not agressive there, much less smoky than for example AVIGNON. The common point is the gloomy mood, the coldness, it seems that is an unavoidable feature of religious centers.

KYOTO is a good scent, elegant, but endurance and sillage is nothing special, and even though wearing this fragrance is comfortable and composing, I would not say, that it will be my favourite.

Forest incense
I've never been in Japan. Some years ago I bought a bottle of this perfume, choosing among all of the series, since the effect on me of its top notes seemed to match the way my imagination drove me into a japanese temple, in the middle of a forest, in a wet day in Japan. I never regretted my choice of this instead of Avignon (a really catholic church incense scent whose memory was not so pleasant to me).
When I wore Kyoto, it became my signature for 2 months till the last drop. My feelings about it changed quietly along the time, as well as my soul became more and more pacified during that period...And with this beautiful and reassuring scent I revisited my memories of playing when a kid alone in the company of cypresses, some smoke being felt in the distance coming from my family home, in a winter end of sunday.
Cedar, cypress: I am now a lover of these two notes. And, above all, my crush on incense began here!

Incense Ashes Liquefied + Crushed Sticks of Unburned Incense. in a word: Incense
Comme des Garçons Incense Series 3 KYOTO is burnt wood incense perfume with a slightly less burnt drydown in which tea appears also to be present. The composition does not have an oily or resinous texture at all, unlike most of the oudh perfumes I've tried.

KYOTO seems to me sometimes like incense ashes liquified but also, in turns, crushed sticks of unburned incense. That's about it for the development trajectory, though, as this is a fairly simple affair. I do not detect any floral notes at all, just incense in one form or another—there can be no denying that, as advertised, incense is the focus of this creation!

Despite the lack of a significant oily base, KYOTO has good staying power and fairly big sillage. I would not call this perfume either masculine or feminine but rather omnisex—or perhaps even asexual. Definitely a better choice for the fall and winter months. I'm not sure how this would work in the heat.

Kyoto is one of my favorites from this series--for what it is.
2.5

Woods temple
After spraying on I was reminded spontaneously of the joss stick smells in Asia in our vacations if we have gone to Buddhistic/Hindu temples. The incense doesn't seem superficial there and he holds back discreetly also at Kyoto.
I am aware of him well but he doesn't crush me.

I am in the woods - cypress, junipers, firs and cedar wood radiate her woody, aromatic smell.
I was on a stroll with my husband in the afternoon. Unfortunately, the biting cold was missing but our way led at the edge of the forest for a long time. Kyoto has accompanied me wonderfully. The absolute dryness of the wood has a meditative, calming effect.
My husband likes the smell.

Flannelman
Pretty, elegant, very wearable incense and cedar
This is a pretty, elegant, very wearable incense and cedar fragrance with a delicate hint of fruitiness. It's soft, round and ethereal.

It is of course tempting to make a comparison with another incense and cedar fragrance: Christian Lacroix's Tumulte. They are undoubtedly in the same family, but there are important differences. Tumulte, for instance, is much, much dryer and has a definite harshness in the top notes. Kyoto on the other hand opens very smoothly and even with a hint of sweetness. There is also a difference on the skin: Kyoto seems to be warming it, while Tumulte does not. On the whole I would say that Tumulte is more rugged and masculine, Kyoto more elegant and peaceful.

If you like incense, try Kyoto. The olfactory trip it will take you on is well worth it...

TombbbTombbb 11 months ago
This is a cold incense and wood, smoothed by mountain breeze bringing a scent of flowers from a nearby meadow, and earth thanks to vetiver
LillibetLillibet 4 years ago
A lovely cool, but not cold, incense fragrance with a lightly spicy green woody base. Wear to wander in a gallery for a meditative mood.

by Can777
by Sherapop
by Mustafa
by Mustafa

Popular Comme des Garçons

Series 3: Incense - Avignon by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons Floriental by Comme des Garçons Black Comme des Garçons by Comme des Garçons Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons Series 4: Cologne - Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent Three: Sugi by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons Play Green by Comme des Garçons Daphne by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons Dover Street Market by Comme des Garçons Blackpepper by Comme des Garçons Artek - Standard by Comme des Garçons Serpentine by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum by Comme des Garçons Series 2: Red - Sequoia by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent Two: Laurel by Comme des Garçons