Series 3: Incense - Zagorsk 2002

Series 3: Incense - Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons
Series 3: Incense - Zagorsk is a popular perfume by Comme des Garçons for women and men and was released in 2002. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Puig.

Birch woodBirch wood
Hinoki woodHinoki wood
IrisIris
PinePine
PimentoPimento
VioletViolet
Omani white frankincenseOmani white frankincense
CedarCedar

Submitted by Sani, last update on 19.09.2021.

Wooden monastery
A pine forest or a fir forest, alternating with light deciduous forest. A wooden church. A monastery on fire. Birch wood smells Russian.
Resinous drops, precious smoky gold.
It's all in the first liberating breath of Zagorsk.

If you listen closely, you catch heaven-sounding chants, ranging from the deepest baritone to the bell-bright tenor.

This first impression inspires and sets the mood euphorically, remains transparent, but also gives way to a green incense calm that refreshes the soul Nothing else far and wide except aromatic-ethereal incense.

Compared to the bright and airy that Kyoto captures, Zagorsk is grounded spirituality for me.
Iny
Between religion and floor wax
The first time I might have tested Zagorsk was about 7-8 years ago, when I started to get interested in fragrances and with my untrained nose was still looking for the right scent for me. Parfumo was still without the statement feature back then, so with reliable regularity I had scents in front of my nose whose sample placement was purely based on the embellishing, poetic, fanciful representations. The fragrance references are known to be different with or for each person, not surprisingly, therefore, that there were more blunders than anything else.

So also Zagorsk: church and incense, fits, I thought to myself. However, my first encounter was of a somewhat different kind, immediately I put the fragrance ad acta, because he smelled - attention, unobjective and purely subjective - awful. However, after I gradually got to know more CdG fragrances and my scent impression did not want to fit so at all to the descriptions here, I had to order me again a sample.

My then, as well as today, unreflective first association is indeed church, yes, however, arise figuratively before my eyes from the many prayers dark brown, speckig glänzende wooden benches in a gloomy, blackened by candle soot, covered with rough stone floor tiles, old village church in the infinite expanse of Siberia. The incense-laden scent of the last service, mixed with the exhalations of elderly people and a hint of floor polish and soap still hangs in the air. Trembling, touched by the breeze, the last candle goes out.

At first, that doesn't sound convincing at all. In the meantime, however, I not only had the opportunity to visit Russian Orthodox churches and monasteries, but also to train my nose further. Zagorsk is meant to evoke a mood and therefore has little to do with freshly smoked incense (which, incidentally, was my expectation at the time). For me, it succeeds in evoking the atmosphere - and in parts - the fragrance of a Russian Orthodox church, to that extent I can only agree with Gold.
At the same time, it is, freed from intentions and naming, after the green-herbaceous unfriendly top note, an absolute clean fragrance of past centuries, in which there was no fabric softener and synthetic musk, no 4711 was on the way or the British brought their lavender and moss to the man. It's bright, friendly, most likely I detect violet iris, some soap and hints of CdG's signature hinoki wood. Very discreetly in the background, candle soot, floor polish and incense continue to resonate. Absolutely contemplative - even without prayers.

He was allowed to move in immediately and can accompany me from now on a piece of my way.
Procession light: Portable Adulation
Like some other rehearsals I came up with Zagorsk the other day. Though I tested very thoroughly, I didn't think I had any comments at that time. Meanwhile, who would have thought it, that's different.

Zagorsk is woody and smoky throughout. To begin with, a small forest slips over your wrist, equally divided between birch, pine and Hinoki. And a little cedar. It doesn't smell too much like coniferous wood, a little dry and light like birch, a little bitter like cedar. Olibanum smokes the trees and, like Hinoki wood, contributes some citrus. Also from beginning to end one can perceive a sharpness as of white pepper: Allspice. Violets are also not seldom smelled, but this note goes down a bit. With the hours the birch weakens the least.

For me, Incense-Zagorsk usually lasted over 7 hours. The Sillage was just right for such an intense scent, so no constant scent cloud, but rather a fluttering companion, sometimes there, sometimes away.

Zagorsk reminds me personally very much of Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2. This is because both are quasi linear and both carry violets, white pepper, incense and cedar. The similarity remains great, the remaining notes of Zagorsk do not really carry any weight. I can even imagine it as an office fragrance. Like Rocky Mountain Wood it radiates a certain maturity, but also coolness. Calm, but also kind of... distant. Competent and polite, but not cordial; no reception from representatives, but rather part of the board meeting
2.5

A mattress
... one that is stuffed with dried grass and has been resting in a dungeon for a while. Sorry. I don't like it - and cannot imagine someone spraying it on themselves.
2.5

A Russian Church in a bottle
Maybe this is no scent for people who have never been to a Russian church, to a place like Zagorsk (nowadways called Jewgenij Possad again) or a fairy-tale town like Suzda. If you want to travel to such a place... scentwise... try Zagorsk in a bottle. It is a theme-fragrance, inappropriate for daily use, use in offices and banks...probably an "ambiance-scent", not a skin-scent. Ja ljublju "Zagorsk". Pojechali!

Asbestos in the Attic
Something about Comme des Garçons Incense Series 3 ZAGORSK does not sit well on my skin—or in my lungs. There can be no denying that this is an incense perfume, but it hits me quite a bit differently than KYOTO. ZAGORSK, too, is not very oily or resinous, but the wood of the incense seems more bitter than burnt and slightly rubbery as well.

Like KYOTO, ZAGORSK is also devoid of detectable floral notes, but this composition seems quite a bit more masculine to me. The sillage is rather big for a masculine scent, but this will be perhaps welcome to those who like the peculiar quality of the composition, although I'm wondering how many people would really want to be around other people who smell like this.

I do not mean to suggest that ZAGORSK is repellent, but on the other hand I myself do not find it very appealing at all, and my distinct impression is that, if over-applied, this fragrance might have a mildly suffocating effect—something like breathing at high altitude where oxygen is in short supply or inhabiting an old building with traces of asbestos in the attic.

Needless to say, this one does not work for me.

by JPhx
by JPhx
by Sherapop
by Sherapop

Popular Comme des Garçons

Series 3: Incense - Kyoto by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Avignon by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons Floriental by Comme des Garçons Black Comme des Garçons by Comme des Garçons Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons Series 4: Cologne - Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent Three: Sugi by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons Play Green by Comme des Garçons Daphne by Comme des Garçons Dover Street Market by Comme des Garçons Blackpepper by Comme des Garçons Artek - Standard by Comme des Garçons Serpentine by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum by Comme des Garçons Series 2: Red - Sequoia by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent Two: Laurel by Comme des Garçons