Series 3: Incense - Zagorsk (2002)

Series 3: Incense - Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons

Series 3: Incense - Zagorsk is a popular perfume by Comme des Garçons for women and men and was released in 2002. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Puig.

Birch wood, Hinoki wood, Iris, Pine, Pimento, Violet, White frankincense, Cedar

Submitted by Sani, last update on 15.05.2019

6.0 6.0 7.5 7.5/10

Procession light: Portable Adulation
Like some other rehearsals I came up with Zagorsk the other day. Though I tested very thoroughly, I didn't think I had any comments at that time. Meanwhile, who would have thought it, that's different.

Zagorsk is woody and smoky throughout. To begin with, a small forest slips over your wrist, equally divided between birch, pine and Hinoki. And a little cedar. It doesn't smell too much like coniferous wood, a little dry and light like birch, a little bitter like cedar. Olibanum smokes the trees and, like Hinoki wood, contributes some citrus. Also from beginning to end one can perceive a sharpness as of white pepper: Allspice. Violets are also not seldom smelled, but this note goes down a bit. With the hours the birch weakens the least.

For me, Incense-Zagorsk usually lasted over 7 hours. The Sillage was just right for such an intense scent, so no constant scent cloud, but rather a fluttering companion, sometimes there, sometimes away.

Zagorsk reminds me personally very much of Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2. This is because both are quasi linear and both carry violets, white pepper, incense and cedar. The similarity remains great, the remaining notes of Zagorsk do not really carry any weight. I can even imagine it as an office fragrance. Like Rocky Mountain Wood it radiates a certain maturity, but also coolness. Calm, but also kind of... distant. Competent and polite, but not cordial; no reception from representatives, but rather part of the board meeting
2.5 5.0 7.5 4.0/10

A mattress
... one that is stuffed with dried grass and has been resting in a dungeon for a while. Sorry. I don't like it - and cannot imagine someone spraying it on themselves.
2.5 7.5 9.0 0.5/10

A Russian Church in a bottle
Maybe this is no scent for people who have never been to a Russian church, to a place like Zagorsk (nowadways called Jewgenij Possad again) or a fairy-tale town like Suzda. If you want to travel to such a place... scentwise... try Zagorsk in a bottle. It is a theme-fragrance, inappropriate for daily use, use in offices and banks...probably an "ambiance-scent", not a skin-scent. Ja ljublju "Zagorsk". Pojechali!
10.0 10.0 7.5 3.0/10

Asbestos in the Attic
Something about Comme des Garçons Incense Series 3 ZAGORSK does not sit well on my skin—or in my lungs. There can be no denying that this is an incense perfume, but it hits me quite a bit differently than KYOTO. ZAGORSK, too, is not very oily or resinous, but the wood of the incense seems more bitter than burnt and slightly rubbery as well.

Like KYOTO, ZAGORSK is also devoid of detectable floral notes, but this composition seems quite a bit more masculine to me. The sillage is rather big for a masculine scent, but this will be perhaps welcome to those who like the peculiar quality of the composition, although I'm wondering how many people would really want to be around other people who smell like this.

I do not mean to suggest that ZAGORSK is repellent, but on the other hand I myself do not find it very appealing at all, and my distinct impression is that, if over-applied, this fragrance might have a mildly suffocating effect—something like breathing at high altitude where oxygen is in short supply or inhabiting an old building with traces of asbestos in the attic.

Needless to say, this one does not work for me.

by JPhx