Series 4: Cologne - Vettiveru (2002)

Series 4: Cologne - Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

Series 4: Cologne - Vettiveru is a popular perfume by Comme des Garçons for women and men and was released in 2002. The scent is fresh-green. It was last marketed by Puig.

Mark Buxton

Italian bergamot, Cardamom, Neroli, Haitian vetiver, Cedarwood, Musk

Submitted by Sani, last update on 22.08.2019

8.0 7.0 7.0 9.5/10

Wanderers between the worlds
In the meantime I have been living in Northern Italy for more years than I have ever lived in Southern Germany. After all this time, I've adopted pretty much all everyday Italian behaviors unnoticed,
from the morning Caffè al Bar, to the exploring way of driving, the love for healthy and good food and the leisure time at the seaside. On the other hand, I have retained my fraenkisches "r", my methodical work, my planning, which allows me spontaneity only within a certain framework and of course the "German punctuality". For the Italian part of my family and my friends I am therefore still the "German". On the German side I have become "the Italian".

It was exactly these thoughts that crossed my mind when I applied Vettivéru tonight.

The fragrance has a successful start in the Eau de Cologne style, opening with citric notes à la Bergamot and Neroli. When the first impressions slowly form into reflections and associations with Eau de Cologne, a door opens that pulls the nose in another direction.

The world of Vétivers is opening. A brightly radiating vetiver steps onto the stage, comparable to Givenchy's Vetyver. The latter has a similar radiance due to its citric top note, emphasising the vetiver more in the further course. With another Vetiver in my collection, Annick Goutal's, Vettivéru has little in common. Goutal's fragrance is determined by two characteristics: saltiness and a medicinal-rooted aura; this is what Verrivéru completely satisfies.

For a long time Vettivéru jumps between these two worlds, but then makes his choice in favour of the Vetiver. Musk and cedar play their part in keeping Vettivéru fresh until the end.

Of course such a fragrance cannot be a Sillagemonster and that is exactly the strength of the fragrance. It is not made for cold days, but it should give you a fresh kick on hot days. Vettivéru can be applied generously to the entire upper body without being trapped in a scent bubble. We reward you for this with a cologne / vetiver aura, which you can discreetly perceive over several hours as an occasional "swath" of yourself.

Vettivéru is certainly not a particularly innovative fragrance from CdG. Yet he's anything but trivial. The balance between cologne and vetiver in the early stages makes you think you're dealing with two scents, until the interplay slowly turns out in favour of the vetiver
7.0 7.0 9.0 8.0/10

Late Summer Cologne
Scentrack: Bobby Hebb - Sunny

I have to declare Vettiveru is one of the best colognes I have ever tried. It's beautiful,sunny, complicated, fresh and has superb longevity.
It opens with brisk neroli and bergamot followed by fresh, earthy but clean vetiver and soft note of white flowers.
Beautiful, wearable, modern yet still in some classic cologne form. Vettiveru gives me around 10 hours of longevity with exceptional sillage, like radiating waves of freshness from my neck. Reasonably priced, and one of my best buys among Midnight in Paris and Individuel.

Rating: 8/10

More on Scentimentalwords

Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru
This fragrance opens with diaphanous smoke aroma enriched by earth and woods. It would be a quite enjoyable head accord, if only it were a tad stronger. What I see reminds me very much of Palais Jamais (smokiness) and Terre d’Hermes and Timbuktu (earthiness) – but it could be an olfactory illusion since the fragrance is so sheer (almost to a fault) on my skin. The more I analyse the fragrance, the more I discover similarities with Terre d’Hermes and Timbuktu. Vettiveru may be less sparkly than Terre, and it may be less complex than Timbuktu, but it focuses mote on the vetiver and cedar notes. Lasts 6 hours on my skin.

by Josch