Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons
Wonderwood is a popular perfume by Comme des Garçons for men and was released in 2010. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Puig.

Antoine Lie

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Madagascar pepper, Nutmeg, Somalian frankincense
Heart Notes Heart NotesCashmeran, Christalon, Gaiac wood, Caraway, Cedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesJavanol, Oud, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 29.10.2020.

Volker1964
Wonderwood a wonder or marketing
This scent is certainly not bad, but I don't smell a miracle.
The fragrance takes a few minutes to open. A little shy.
The beginning is subtly spicy and slightly smoky. The wood notes are abundant and quite pleasant. Smells almost like an old piece of furniture. I haven't had that yet. It also smells slightly sweetish.
In the middle it becomes even woodier. Too much for some people. I like it because I like strong fragrances More wood notes at the end. Now it becomes borderline, maybe already too much wood ? Oud is added. However, it is very discreet and has a more supportive effect.
All in all a woody, slightly spicy and yet quite pleasant fragrance. I think it's good to very good. But I also find 1-2 woods less and more oud would not have harmed this scent. Wonderwood, a good to very good scent, even without miracles.
I wear it in winter, but not in summer
With kind regards
I'm going to Wald
This pebble does not only flatter my little fingers, no also my nose is completely enchanted by the woody Odör which it radiates. One forest and back at the push of a button. You can experience all kinds of things here in the Wunderwald, let your imagination run wild...
Incense comes out of a temple made of the best cedar wood. Smoke clouds cloud my senses. I keep wandering through the needle-like undergrowth. Oops, what's that? - A bathtub full of Iso-E-Super's blocking my way. I jump in and merge with the here and now. I'm turning to wood
Pepper + wood = forest
Very interesting interplay and thus also a very explicit niche fragrance. In the Store Ubervart in Frankfurt I saw and tried the fragrance.
Directly in love - although the scent in this sense does not have my preferences. But he is different and shows it clearly in this union of wood notes.
For the winter a perfect scent if you want to attract attention or just pretend to be in front of a fireplace in the forest on a skiing holiday.

Sillage is OK - not disturbing and the durability in mediocrity. However, a too violent dominance of the fragrance is not so tingling after all.
More for something entertaining - to be different.
Interesting wood
Wonderwood begins illuminatingly balsamic, striking - invigorating, aromatic - spicy and subtly citric - herbaceous.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "reni379" and our perfume "Zirkeltanz" for the sample.

The first thing you can perceive is an intense balsamic note, which gives the top note, something very pleasantly illuminating, and is due to Somali incense.

At the same time, the incense is enveloped by a distinctive and also invigorating note and comes from Madagascar - pepper.

There is also a fine aromatic, very slightly spicy nuance, which underpins the pepper in a beautiful way and comes from nutmeg.

In the background, a slightly citrusy and also herbaceous note of bergamot can be perceived, which ensures that the top note does not appear dull but retains its "light aura".

This constellation is perceptible on my skin for 20 minutes before the heart note unfolds.

Now a very intense woody note can be perceived, which also brings a certain softness and is due to the cedar wood.

At the same time there is a fine smoky-sweetish, very subtle earthy nuance of guaiac wood, which gives the fragrance a pleasant tangibility.

These two notes are surrounded by a warming balsamic note, which gives the heart note a pleasant smoothness and comes from cashmeran.

There is also a fine greenish, subtly herbaceous nuance of caraway, which gives the fragrance that certain roundness.

The entire heart note is accompanied by a "pictorial" impression, which I attribute to the cristalons here.

The heart note is perceptible on my skin for 3.5 hours before the base asserts itself.

In the base a discreet flowery "aura" can be perceived, which has something "bright" about it and comes from Javanol.

At the same time, a fine creamy, subtly spicy nuance can be perceived, which melts with the Javanol to form a whole that provides something cuddly and comes from the sandalwood.

Never persistent, always "flashing" from time to time, there is a fine, smooth, reddish brown woody nuance, which also brings a distant leathery touch, which wonderfully underlines the interesting character of Wonderwood and this can certainly come from the Oud.

In the very background, the fine astringency of the vetiver rounds off the base wonderfully.

Altogether the fragrance lasts 7 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is designed to be clearly perceived at one arm's length for the first hour and then settles down so that you are clearly perceived at a quarter of an arm's length and this is maintained for 2 hours before it is reduced in slow steps until the fragrance finally fades away completely.

Urban Lumberjack
Scentrack
Pulp – The Trees

Archaic by the notes, yet modern by execution. A traditional CdG synthetic scent, transparent and easy to wear. Maybe not so revolutionary, but extremely easy to love.
I'm just a sucker for woods, and Wonderwood satisfied my needs for that olfactive atavism. In a very contemporary and urban manner.

Rating: 8/10

More on Scentimentalwords

Safewood
For me Wonderwood is a disappointment since i was expecting something great from CDG.

Smells like an average woody/cedar scent with a touch of vetiver. Nothing actually unique.

Anyway i cant say it's bad. No, it's good, but average, with a very simple structure despite the notes.

Sillage, projection and lasting power are medium-high.

Updated January 2014

Woods On Steroids...
I love Wonderwood. At first, I immediately noticed a strong resemblance to the excellent Encre Noir with its smokey vetiver and cedarwood accord. I thought "Very nice, but superfluous." Then Wonderwood's drydown came along and that is where it sets itself apart from Encre Noir and others... It is just sublime, smelling of an almost lemon-like frankincense note mixed with sandalwood and a hint of pepper and synthetic oud. It is hard to describe what it smells like beyond the notes, but it is just incredible and makes Wonderwood much more versatile than Encre Noir, IMO. Definitely FBW at its 4 stars out of 5 rating, but if you already own Encre Noir you may have to decide if both need to be in your collection. In my opinion, the answer is "yes."

still discovering
Since I am discovering the woody, smooky scents I am a surveyer of them. Meanwhile I testet many of them. So, not astonishing, I discovered Wonderwood and was immediately intrigued by it. Out of all it contents Oudh, which is for me anyhow attracting. Though I had some less unpleasant dates with Oudh-scents: Sweaty, stinky smells combined with smoky components which were giving me impressions of burning rubber for instance and worse...
However, I consider wonderwood as almost perfect. The pepper, nutmeg, incence, the different woods, resins, vetiver, caraway give the oudh a soft bed so it is at no time smelling like sweat. There seems to be a touch of mint. The bergamot together with oudh is giving Wonderwood a sweet and softening feature. And after all ingredients had developed to that wonderful scent it is staying contantly the same for a very long time, many hours.
My husband likes Wonderwood as well - if I am wearing it. He does not know that it basically is designed only for men.
As some of the user might have remarked, we Germans are inclined to mix up "wonder" with "miracle" which I do not. Therefore for my oponion the name: Wonderwood suits to the parfum. It did not expect a miracle but something wonderful. I received it. Though I am still dececting for "my" perfect oudh-parfume. Meanwhile I have Wonderwood to delight me and for comparisions too.

Hello, freshly timbered tree
If you're thinking ruggedly masculine fragrances, think Comme Des Garcons Wonderwood. There really is nothing quite like it. It's the kind of rich, concentrated woodsiness that I so desire in my fragrances.

The opening is a rather interesting blend of dank woods on a somewhat damp and earthy greeness. It smells like a freshly timbered tree in the middle of a rainforest. It's musty-ness is a guilty pleasure.

Pepper emerges in the heart, where it adds some liveliness to the composition. The scent begins to smell a lot like emmaculate wood-carvings in arts and crafts stores, with that hint of natural, woodsy sweetness and dark resins.

Wonderwood is truly engaging, particularly since it smells delicious to me, like something I would want to literally taste. Despite being a relatively manly scent, Wonderwood could work well on feminine skin too. It's not nearly as gender-set as one would expect.

Oud wood and incense make up most of the drydown, which is enchanting to say the least. To my nose, it smells almost religious, like what I'd imagine the ancient Buddhist temples would smell like. I find it a little similar to Marc Jacobs Bang, however this fragrance is much smoother and much more daring.

The longevity is wonderful, really worth the money. Wonderwood has once again re-established my opinion, that the masculine offerings by Comme Des Garcons are worth being discovered.

Jordan
The Ultimate Southern Man.
Now Wonderwood is a favourite of mine. One of my friends (who happens to be a reviewer on parfumo as well) and I like to fight over this fragrance. He's to lazy to buy his own bottle, yet he can splash money on Tom Ford's (crap) private blend collection hahaha. Aside from all that silliness, I have to express my deepest and dearest admiration for Wonderwood.

Living in Texas and growing up here my whole life as a guy, you're raised around the foundations of being a Strong and masculine man. You can be rugged but you also have to be a real gentleman and I think that Wonderwood strikes the perfect balance.

I do have to get a little sentimental and take myself back to days where I'd visit my Grandparents farm, and the scent of all the different kinds of trees with the gritty earthiness of the dirt and the small, sweetness of scent that the wind carried with it seems to resonate quite well in this fragrance for me. I'm reminded of walking through the deep dark woods at night time with friends, the fragrance reminds me of how much of a big shot I used to think I was. I thought i was so cool.

I find myself at times wishing i could taste the fragrance, it smells delicious on the skin, the prominent oud note makes my mouth water, and the scent of dark resins seems to tie the whole fragrance together for me.

The staying power is phenomenal, you will literally wake up the next day with this still partying away on your skin. If you haven't tried it, then get out there and test it and if you have the money for it, then Buy it. Its worth the cash!

AnessaAnessa 173 days ago
Appeared as spicy aftershave, let it rest few months - now, a wonderful combo of wood&incense, reminds of sandalwood box with incense sticks
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
Great scent. Cedarwood is super prominent. I wish it had a little more projection and longevity.
DarkbeatDarkbeat 2 years ago
Amazing, wood, wood and more wood, natural and balanced, with hints of incense and resin, which transports you to a forest full of life.
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
One of the best attempts to make oudy note acceptable for "western noses". Woody, dry and stylish.

Miniature
by Pmr
by Rodin
by Rodin

Popular Comme des Garçons

Series 3: Incense - Kyoto by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Avignon by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons Black Comme des Garçons by Comme des Garçons Series 4: Cologne - Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons Floriental by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent Three: Sugi by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons Play Green by Comme des Garçons Daphne by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons Dover Street Market by Comme des Garçons Serpentine by Comme des Garçons Artek - Standard by Comme des Garçons Blackpepper by Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent Two: Laurel by Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum by Comme des Garçons Series 3: Incense - Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons 8 88 by Comme des Garçons