Vanille Ambre by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Vanille Ambre is a perfume by Comptoir Sud Pacifique for women and was released in 2001. The scent is sweet-gourmand. It is still in production.

Amber, Musk, Patchouli, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.10.2018

7.5 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

A Strange Fruit
I bought this inexpensive Vanilla perfume because I wanted some creamy vanilla, but not so much sugar. I expected there to be more depth in Vanille Ambre with woody notes from the amber. I had the EDT of Vanille Extreme, with is a very sweet and milky vanilla, so I was expecting something similar from the Ambre version.

Instead, Vanille Ambre opens with vanilla but that quickly goes away and an intense woodiness settles over the composition. It smells really delicious: like burnt woods and a little bit of sugar. But that is not even the most interesting part: after half an hour or so, I kept smelling something super smoky, like a meat smoker scent. I figured out it was this perfume!

You don't get a meat note of course, but the smokiness is that of smoked meats and sausages instead of smokey cigars. It has really been a surprise for me that something called Vanille Ambre smells like smoke. I love the effect but wish the vanilla was more prominent and the sillage and lasting power were better.