Scent Sheer Eau Fraîche (2003)

Scent Sheer Eau Fraîche by Costume National
Bottle Design: Ennio Capasa

Scent Sheer Eau Fraîche is a perfume by Costume National for women and men and was released in 2003. The scent is fresh-floral. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, White peach, Green tea
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Oriental rose, Hawaiian hibiscus
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Vanilla, Patchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 29.03.2018

5.0 7.5 5.0/10

Pure, transparent musk
Since the sudden rise in temperature in my country, sales people have been throwing many Summer friendly scents under my nose. Scent Sheer was one of those fragrances that got forced upon me.

Scent Sheer, to my nose at least, is a linear blend of white musk and citrus. It's clean, Summery and pure, just like the sales person described, but it's nothing out of the ordinary.

There's a hint of synthetic jasmine in there somewhere, however the scent itself is so transparent that you don't experience it for long. I'm not sure whether it was worth releasing this fragrance as it doesn't seem very niche to me at all. It's a bit of a let-down for Costume National.

Scent Sheer is like the name suggests, uber-light, so don't expect marvellous sillage here. I must add however the impressive longevity which has managed to win me over.

For a clean, crisp white musk I turn to White Moss by Acca Kappa, however for the more feminine niche-enthusiasts, Scent Sheer, I must admit, is a nice alternative.
7.5 5.0 7.5 4.0/10

White Noise Precursor to the Molecule Movement
Overall, Costume National SCENT SHEER strikes me as the musky base of a perfume composition which was abruptly aborted by an ADD-afflicted perfumer when another project of seemingly higher priority popped up. The opening has an attention-grabbing high-pitched "white noise" note--neither floral nor fruity, nor animal, mineral or vegetable, it seems to me!--which might have melded well with, by infusing energy into, the far more numerous components of a more complex perfume. But the "white noise" note in this composition strikes me as slightly irritating, indecently exposed as it is in this nearly nude perfume.

Once SCENT SHEER has dried down, what remains is a clean musk skin scent--an eau de peau, if you will--which is not entirely unappealing but seems understated to the point of being nearly an eau de eau. Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps SCENT SHEER is the precursor to the "molecule" movement in avant garde perfumery? Hmmm...

by Chanelle