So Nude (2012) Eau de Parfum

So Nude (Eau de Parfum) by Costume National
Bottle Design: Ennio Capasa

So Nude (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Costume National for women and was released in 2012. The scent is floral-powdery. It is being marketed by Beauty San.

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Cumin, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesDamask rose, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Sandalwood, Virginia cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 29.10.2017

Pretty, sheer tuberose
Because I love tuberose my review is going to be slanted. Yes you get tuberose up front. Its not loud, at least I don't think so. Its not like fracas loud, or beyond love loud, this is a much softer and less of a diva tuberose. Its not what I call green though. You get tuberose petals, but not big heavy ones. They've dialed it down quite a bit. Certainly, its sheer as you can make it with still smelling it.

Longevity, well...It goes to a skin scent on me about the first 1-2 hours in. However it doesn't mean that you can't smell it, you can, it just means its not in your face all the time.

Sillage, smellable from arms length when you put it on, goes down to hovering just about the skin pretty quickly. Minimal to no trail, so a good perfume for office environments.

I quite liked it a lot. I plenty of tuberose perfumes that work for what I want, so this one isn't likely at the top of my want list, but I certainly found it agreeable and lovely, just not terribly unique.

If I were looking for a sheer tuberose, this would fit the bill.

Worth testing for those who are curious.
7.5 10.0 6.0/10

Complex Opening, Costume National Drydown
I received a generous carded sample of Costume National SO NUDE and a bunch of other nice samples along with an order I placed with a real person at Barneys. Note to sample-hungry perfumistas: full-service, high-end brick-and-mortar establishments are the only way to go. True, you generally pay MSRP for whatever you buy there, but the perks are sometimes worth it! Plus there's something nice and nostalgic about the notion of full service, isn't there?

So how is SO NUDE? First off, it opens with a very detectable tuberose note in a kind of cacophony of florals and spices. The tuberose then steps back a bit, making room for a yummy (and also very detectable) cardamom note. At this point, for me, it's love. However, my usual Costume National reservations begin as the perfume approaches drydown. It's the base.

I like when a house uses a readily identifiable base--it serves as a sort of fingerprint on all of their works. Lots of them do this: Yves Rocher, Lush, Elizabeth Arden (have you noticed how Badgley Mischka, Britney Spears, Juicy Couture, and other EA-produced designer and celebrity perfumes share the same base?), L'Artisan Parfumeur, the list goes on and on, and Costume National definitely numbers among them.

I own two perfumes from this house: SCENT GLOSS and SCENT SHEER, and I very much prefer the former, because the latter is basically all base all the time. As niche as this house may seem to be, they use a very synthetic musky base which does not always appeal to me. In the case of SO NUDE, the opening and mid-stages have been dressed up, but as the perfume unfurls, it eventually leaves behind the tell-tale Costume National base, which has great longevity but eventually starts to get on my nerves.

All in all, if you like this house, you might like SO NUDE. I'm not sure, because the big tuberose is going to be too much for those who really enjoy SCENT SHEER. It's definitely worth a sniff, no doubt about that. Much more complex than I surmised from the name and the marketing campaign...