Aspen for Men (1989)Cologne

Aspen for Men (Cologne) by Coty

Aspen for Men (Cologne) is a perfume by Coty for men and was released in 1989. The scent is green-fresh. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mint, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss

Submitted by Lissy, last update on 28.03.2020.

The scent was released in association with Quintessence.

Aspen EdC... as good an EdC can be
This EdC I ordered ald blindbuy. Did I regret it ?
Top note:
Very fresh citric notes, pleasant and balanced. Mint, well integrated and not too dominant. Freshness clearly in the foreground.
Heart note:
Very beautiful lavender note, elegant and fine, with wonderful vetiver. Very harmonious. The freshness remains pleasantly there.
Base:
A moss note becomes quite present here, without becoming obtrusive or unpleasant. Amber supports the base very well. The freshness weakens slightly, but remains present. The scent becomes a bit more piquant.
My conclusion: there are already good to very good representatives in the Eau de Cologne sector. Aspen EdC is already something special for me. Why is that ? The fragrance is very good, also in development. It is very pleasant, wonderfully balanced, noble and elegant. This EdC is special for me, in a positive sense, you could offer EdC as a niche. They say no rose without thorns. Here the thorns are the durability. After about 4 hours is unfortunately! End. On the positive side, you could also say that 4 hours is a really great scent. Apparently it is no longer produced. I would like to ask the manufacturer why ???

SvenScent
Without comparison, a very simple green newbie!

With perfumes, of course, it is always a good idea to draw comparisons. Which is sometimes [!] rather idle, though. Can I compare a perfume that costs 200 euros with one that costs just seven euros? Sure, you can always compare, but at some point comparisons will become rather awry...

So here are a few words about this fragrance itself:

The opening is a bit very alcoholic, but it's also a cologne. But then very nice and pleasant citric and fresh. This is soon joined by the green spice of vetiver and the "woodiness" of oak moss, while the freshness is still retained for the time being. The drydown reminds me strongly of the Dunhill Icon, only clearly flatter and less intense. (Again such a comparison.) I personally smell neither the allegedly strong mint nor the lavender during the whole process.
It should be clear that Aspen is not a masterpiece of perfumery. But it does the service of a cheap perfume: it refreshes and you smell good, clean and pleasant.
Of course you can't expect any miracles from the perfume's performance either; especially since, as mentioned above, it's an eau de cologne. The projection and durability are therefore both in the moderate range.

Finally, to come back to the comparison: The fact that the idea of comparing Aspen with Green Irish Tweed is even considered a good argument in favour of Aspen. And if some forum members then also think that it is even better, there is really nothing more to add; except perhaps this, that comparisons are often limp and inappropriate...!

Just like I introduced Creed - Green irish Tweed
My nose is not exactly the best and that is probably one of the reasons why until a few years ago I only owned cheap perfumes. Mostly I used drugstore scents like Sir Irish Moss, Davidoff.

Now I have several perfumes in my closet like GIT, Aventus but also Davidoff, Sir Irish Moos and Aspen.
For months I have been using almost exclusively Aspen for Men. It smells best to me, closely followed by Davidoff and Sir Irish Moss. Actually, exactly how I had imagined GiT.

Since I read here that Aventus, GIT and other niche fragrances are very good, I only use them when going out. I don't really like them. I wish there was an Aspen Eau de Parfum and not just cologne. The cologne lasts for 1-2 hours.

King of Ramsch
Cool water? Yes. No. Maybe.

Green Irish Tweed? I'm sorry, too. And yet again not.

That's odd. The great role models didn't really convince me either. I have always found Cool Water to be extremely intrusive, almost aggressive and chemical. Green Irish Tweed does this better because it feels more natural. But then again the Creed was too formal and serious, too serious for me.

And yet I find this chemotherapy here, which makes use of both of them quite uninhibitedly, surprisingly extremely successful. It may sound presumptuous, but I'll just say it like this: I think Aspen is better. And before the first stones fly, I try to explain briefly why: I think he takes up the strengths of his role models and turns them into something very balanced new.

The fresh green herbaceousness of one is combined with the youthful cool wateriness of the other. A Cool Green Irish Water, so to speak. At the same time the concentration is reduced, which I feel is less strenuous and therefore very suitable for everyday use. Many may not like the dimmed performance. For me, however, it is clearly a strength in this case.

In the past weeks, the fragrance has turned out to be a very solid evergreen for me, who despite regular use did not become "over" me. That doesn't happen very often. Added to this is the outstanding price-performance ratio. I mean, Aspen would be worth more, too. In the Ramsch class (up to 10 Euro) he is unbeatable for me

Green nature
Initial impressions?
First of all, let me start by saying that it is acclaimed and undoubtedly beautiful fragrance. It is one of those fragrances which most of us can enjoy and it is one of the least offensive fragrances.

Where is it inspired from?
When you smell it, you would be taken back to nature. Imagine, you are in woods on sort of grassy terrain and it has just rained a bit. Land is bit wet, and all the plants around are shining under the bit cloudy sun. You are walking down the terrain and happen to enter into forest of oaks, and trees are still wet and so is moss on them. You take a sniff and it's very green, fresh and bright.
It is just so peaceful, and graces your mind with the connection with nature. This scent is absolutely beautiful.

How does it perform? Where do I wear it?
About the performance, it does what most colognes do, lasts for couple of hours but it is very likable. Many reviewers say that this is fit for outdoors, and it seems to be fit. I wear it in office, and it works well in indoor settings, not choking anybody with deep and dark scents. Although, I am big fan of the scent, but performance doesn't work for me.

When do I wear it?
This is majorly summer/spring scent and is pretty versatile. Price is dirt cheap. I suggest everybody to keep a bottle for those camping/trekking days.

How much does it cost?
It is inexpensive and you wouldn't mind if you happen to lose one on travel. 10-15 dollars globally for 120 ml cologne concentration.

What could have been better?
I wish Coty had released in EDP variant and this could have lasted for 6-8 hours. Otherwise this is a rockstar.

What does this reminds you of?
Fresh nature. Other close resemblances - Creed GIT and Davidoff cool water

My Opinion
At this price, it is necessary to start over the complaints about synthetic components, etc.
It is a 120 ml eau de cologne at just 10 euros. But I think it is extremely enjoyable.
I think it's kind of Cool Water but with green tones instead of aquatic tones. A fresh, clean and green scent.
Generally reported to other perfumes (pleasant smell, 1 hour projection, longevity of 4-5 hours) I could say that is for me 7.5 / 10.
If I report everything at the price, I personally think it is 5 * / 5 * and for me it is the leader in its price category.

Gmmcnair
If it weren't for Cool Water....
...we would probably have a lot more variety in scents. So many fragrances out on the market today take advantage of similar notes that made Cool Water so popular.

Aspen for Men is not an exception. There is definitely a Cool Water vibe going on top and heart with the lavender and mint, along with the amber and oakmoss in the base. Aspen smells more astringent, greener, and far less complex than Cool Water, but they are definitely cousins in some respects. Both evoke a freshly showered feeling, and both last quite well. Both can also be had for incredibly reasonable prices nowadays....not the case when I used Aspen regularly.

So, would I say Aspen is a great substitute for Cool Water? No...Cool Water is much more complex and satisfying to wear than Aspen. However, that does not mean Aspen is a bad fragrance. It is simply less complex. Simple in this case is a good thing; none of the notes smell cheap (unlike some much more expensive designer brands), and it can be had for reasonable at almost any drug store, or for incredibly cheap online.

I would quite happily suggest Aspen as a gift for someone who is younger, maybe a teenage boy's first fragrance, or for someone who isn't a fragrance aficionado and just wants to smell good and clean. It excels at both of these. Plus it's easy on the pocket book.

KingPin 14 months ago
Starts off exactly (!) like CW, but after a few hours a lingering note of GIT appears. Very good for the price demanded.
Syzygy73 16 months ago
Not quite GIT, leans more to CW but without the unpleasant aquatic note. I was surprised at how fresh, green and enjoyable to wear this is.
Xanthon 17 months ago
Powerful, green but only decent performance. Its very very good smell. Cant replace Green Irish Tweed though.
Still highly recommended!
Carlitos01 20 months ago
Aspen is a cheapie that doesn't smell cheap. It surprises for the scent similar to Green Irish Tweed and Cool Water. It's blind buy worthy.
MrHonest 2 years ago
My first frag ever. Sharp, lemony pine in the opening, with a GIT-esque drydown. Dirt cheap and a decent staple of the budget woodsman.

by Pistazieneis
by Michael
by Martin660
by Martin660

Popular Coty

Emeraude (Parfum) by Coty Emeraude (Eau de Cologne) by Coty L'Origan (Parfum) by Coty L'Aimant (Eau de Toilette) by Coty Chypre de Coty / Chyprée (Eau de Toilette) by Coty Complice (Eau de Toilette) by Coty Imprévu (Parfum) by Coty Ambre Antique by Coty Chanson d'Eau by Coty Masumi (Eau de Toilette) by Coty L'Origan (Eau de Cologne) by Coty Route 66 (Eau de Toilette) by Coty L'Aimant (Extrait de Parfum) by Coty Wild Lagoon by Coty Jasmin de Corse by Coty Vanilla Fields by Coty Preferred Stock (1990) (Cologne) by Coty Emeraude (Parfum de Toilette) by Coty Universo (Eau de Toilette) by Coty Route 66 Colorado Rain (Eau de Cologne) by Coty