Aspen for Men 1989Cologne

Aspen for Men (Cologne) by Coty
Aspen for Men (Cologne) is a perfume by Coty for men and was released in 1989. The scent is green-fresh. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mint, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss

Submitted by Lissy, last update on 06.10.2020.

The scent was released in association with Quintessence.

A walk in the woods
I looked at a review of this fragrance and was a little curious. I find classic scents interesting and for a good price I bought ASPEN I am always a bit excited to spray a new, unknown scent for the first time, almost like Christmas.

When I enjoyed the first spray blasts I was surrounded by the feeling of a walk in the forest on a cool spring or autumn morning. Yes, this perfume is like a forest. Fresh, classic, masculine. Hapability and perfomace are also quite decent It's a classic. I don't know if it's enough to enchant the ladies. At least it stands out.

Wolkensaft
Surprisingly good, but a little dusty
In this price range I have not yet found anything of better quality. And also from the smell profile one may be quite taken with, if it lies to you then.

At the very beginning a bit pungent, after two or three minutes then fresh and green, but not harsh, but in a round way. Not as immediately tangy and citric as the indicated top notes would lead one to expect, but softer. Soon the darker, green, herbaceous dominates anyway. The mint is there by the way, but not so much mentholated cool, but rather sweet. And it also stays for quite a while. That's one of the reasons why it fits for me more to the not so hot summer days, also in autumn and spring.

The fragrance reminds me of the generation before me, the 50 to 60 year olds today. That doesn't mean anything for now. It's still surprisingly good. Personally, it's just a touch too old-school for me.

50something
Quite surprised at how good it is
To start with, I have never smelled GIT, I just can’t justify paying that much for a fragrance. I’m a never niche, never Creed kind of guy. Probably won’t win me any points.

What I am is a clone freak, if I can find something based on ample comments, I will blind buy it and take my chances. I have purchased every clone of anything good and so far I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the said clones (such as Armaf CDNIM).

I own Tres Nuit which is said to be within the ball park of GIT. I know, many of you will say not even close, that’s fine with me.

In short, Aspen surprised the hell out of me for the price of $11.50. It smells 90% close to Tres Nuit, so I can see why it may have similarities to GIT, although nowhere near the quality I suppose. It starts out far more synthetic than Tres Nuit, but it’s a lighter version of it, it’s quite pleasant in the dry down. It’s for a mature gentlemen.

On a side note, I don’t think this smells at all like Cool Water. CW is a dud for me, it smells quite sad with my chemistry.

I have about 150 fragrances and this will fit well within my top 15 and it is definitely a dumb reach. It’s very grassy and I pick up some mint and oak moss. I plan to wear this in my rotation; a nice Friday office frag. Casual but a touch of class to it.

8.8 out of 10. I waited far too long to buy this classic, and winner.
MarcoHelper
The perfect green mix, niche and designer perfection combination, the price deceives
I have tested several 100 fragrances
This one is my absolute favorite so far.

Do not be deterred by the low price. Just because a fragrance costs several 100€ it doesn't have to be better. No, the margin is simply higher then
To the fragrance:

It is reminiscent of Creed Green Irish Tweed and also of Davidoff Cool Water. He has a similar DNA
However, in my opinion he is much smoother.

He smells CLEAN and GREEN
Can be worn all year round.

He is very popular with the ladies.

You smell like a clean, professional man
Imagine you are walking along a moss-covered cliff by the sea in Scotland, while there is a thunderstorm above you. It is half dark and the thunderstorm, moss and the smell of the sea are joined by a certain fresh and light sweetness
Perfect in my eyes and I tested it right next to fragrances that cost 25 times as much.
Aspen EdC... as good an EdC can be
This EdC I ordered ald blindbuy. Did I regret it ?
Top note:
Very fresh citric notes, pleasant and balanced. Mint, well integrated and not too dominant. Freshness clearly in the foreground.
Heart note:
Very beautiful lavender note, elegant and fine, with wonderful vetiver. Very harmonious. The freshness remains pleasantly there.
Base:
A moss note becomes quite present here, without becoming obtrusive or unpleasant. Amber supports the base very well. The freshness weakens slightly, but remains present. The scent becomes a bit more piquant.
My conclusion: there are already good to very good representatives in the Eau de Cologne sector. Aspen EdC is already something special for me. Why is that ? The fragrance is very good, also in development. It is very pleasant, wonderfully balanced, noble and elegant. This EdC is special for me, in a positive sense, you could offer EdC as a niche. They say no rose without thorns. Here the thorns are the durability. After about 4 hours is unfortunately! End. On the positive side, you could also say that 4 hours is a really great scent. Apparently it is no longer produced. I would like to ask the manufacturer why ???
SvenScent
Without comparison, a very simple green newbie!

With perfumes, of course, it is always a good idea to draw comparisons. Which is sometimes [!] rather idle, though. Can I compare a perfume that costs 200 euros with one that costs just seven euros? Sure, you can always compare, but at some point comparisons will become rather awry...

So here are a few words about this fragrance itself:

The opening is a bit very alcoholic, but it's also a cologne. But then very nice and pleasant citric and fresh. This is soon joined by the green spice of vetiver and the "woodiness" of oak moss, while the freshness is still retained for the time being. The drydown reminds me strongly of the Dunhill Icon, only clearly flatter and less intense. (Again such a comparison.) I personally smell neither the allegedly strong mint nor the lavender during the whole process.
It should be clear that Aspen is not a masterpiece of perfumery. But it does the service of a cheap perfume: it refreshes and you smell good, clean and pleasant.
Of course you can't expect any miracles from the perfume's performance either; especially since, as mentioned above, it's an eau de cologne. The projection and durability are therefore both in the moderate range.

Finally, to come back to the comparison: The fact that the idea of comparing Aspen with Green Irish Tweed is even considered a good argument in favour of Aspen. And if some forum members then also think that it is even better, there is really nothing more to add; except perhaps this, that comparisons are often limp and inappropriate...!
Just like I introduced Creed - Green irish Tweed
My nose is not exactly the best and that is probably one of the reasons why until a few years ago I only owned cheap perfumes. Mostly I used drugstore scents like Sir Irish Moss, Davidoff.

Now I have several perfumes in my closet like GIT, Aventus but also Davidoff, Sir Irish Moos and Aspen.
For months I have been using almost exclusively Aspen for Men. It smells best to me, closely followed by Davidoff and Sir Irish Moss. Actually, exactly how I had imagined GiT.

Since I read here that Aventus, GIT and other niche fragrances are very good, I only use them when going out. I don't really like them. I wish there was an Aspen Eau de Parfum and not just cologne. The cologne lasts for 1-2 hours.

King of Ramsch
Cool water? Yes. No. Maybe.

Green Irish Tweed? I'm sorry, too. And yet again not.

That's odd. The great role models didn't really convince me either. I have always found Cool Water to be extremely intrusive, almost aggressive and chemical. Green Irish Tweed does this better because it feels more natural. But then again the Creed was too formal and serious, too serious for me.

And yet I find this chemotherapy here, which makes use of both of them quite uninhibitedly, surprisingly extremely successful. It may sound presumptuous, but I'll just say it like this: I think Aspen is better. And before the first stones fly, I try to explain briefly why: I think he takes up the strengths of his role models and turns them into something very balanced new.

The fresh green herbaceousness of one is combined with the youthful cool wateriness of the other. A Cool Green Irish Water, so to speak. At the same time the concentration is reduced, which I feel is less strenuous and therefore very suitable for everyday use. Many may not like the dimmed performance. For me, however, it is clearly a strength in this case.

In the past weeks, the fragrance has turned out to be a very solid evergreen for me, who despite regular use did not become "over" me. That doesn't happen very often. Added to this is the outstanding price-performance ratio. I mean, Aspen would be worth more, too. In the Ramsch class (up to 10 Euro) he is unbeatable for me

Green nature
Initial impressions?
First of all, let me start by saying that it is acclaimed and undoubtedly beautiful fragrance. It is one of those fragrances which most of us can enjoy and it is one of the least offensive fragrances.

Where is it inspired from?
When you smell it, you would be taken back to nature. Imagine, you are in woods on sort of grassy terrain and it has just rained a bit. Land is bit wet, and all the plants around are shining under the bit cloudy sun. You are walking down the terrain and happen to enter into forest of oaks, and trees are still wet and so is moss on them. You take a sniff and it's very green, fresh and bright.
It is just so peaceful, and graces your mind with the connection with nature. This scent is absolutely beautiful.

How does it perform? Where do I wear it?
About the performance, it does what most colognes do, lasts for couple of hours but it is very likable. Many reviewers say that this is fit for outdoors, and it seems to be fit. I wear it in office, and it works well in indoor settings, not choking anybody with deep and dark scents. Although, I am big fan of the scent, but performance doesn't work for me.

When do I wear it?
This is majorly summer/spring scent and is pretty versatile. Price is dirt cheap. I suggest everybody to keep a bottle for those camping/trekking days.

How much does it cost?
It is inexpensive and you wouldn't mind if you happen to lose one on travel. 10-15 dollars globally for 120 ml cologne concentration.

What could have been better?
I wish Coty had released in EDP variant and this could have lasted for 6-8 hours. Otherwise this is a rockstar.

What does this reminds you of?
Fresh nature. Other close resemblances - Creed GIT and Davidoff cool water

My Opinion
At this price, it is necessary to start over the complaints about synthetic components, etc.
It is a 120 ml eau de cologne at just 10 euros. But I think it is extremely enjoyable.
I think it's kind of Cool Water but with green tones instead of aquatic tones. A fresh, clean and green scent.
Generally reported to other perfumes (pleasant smell, 1 hour projection, longevity of 4-5 hours) I could say that is for me 7.5 / 10.
If I report everything at the price, I personally think it is 5 * / 5 * and for me it is the leader in its price category.

KingPinKingPin 20 months ago
Starts off exactly (!) like CW, but after a few hours a lingering note of GIT appears. Very good for the price demanded.
Syzygy73Syzygy73 23 months ago
Not quite GIT, leans more to CW but without the unpleasant aquatic note. I was surprised at how fresh, green and enjoyable to wear this is.
XanthonXanthon 23 months ago
Powerful, green but only decent performance. Its very very good smell. Cant replace Green Irish Tweed though.
Still highly recommended!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Aspen is a cheapie that doesn't smell cheap. It surprises for the scent similar to Green Irish Tweed and Cool Water. It's blind buy worthy.
MrHonestMrHonest 3 years ago
My first frag ever. Sharp, lemony pine in the opening, with a GIT-esque drydown. Dirt cheap and a decent staple of the budget woodsman.

by Pistazieneis
by Pharaoh
by Michael
by Michael

Popular Coty

Emeraude (Parfum) by Coty L'Origan (Parfum) by Coty Ambre Antique by Coty Emeraude (Eau de Cologne) by Coty Masumi (Eau de Toilette) by Coty Chypre / Le Chypre (Eau de Toilette) by Coty Complice (Eau de Toilette) by Coty L'Aimant (Eau de Toilette) by Coty Imprévu (Parfum) by Coty L'Origan (Eau de Cologne) by Coty Route 66 (Eau de Toilette) by Coty Chanson d'Eau by Coty L'Aimant (Extrait de Parfum) by Coty Trois Couleurs / Les Trois Couleurs / Tricolore by Coty Jasmin de Corse by Coty Vanilla Fields (Cologne) by Coty Wild Lagoon by Coty Sophia (Cologne) by Coty Preferred Stock (1990) (Cologne) by Coty Universo (Eau de Toilette) by Coty