Aspen for Men (1989) Cologne

Aspen for Men (Cologne) by Coty

Aspen for Men (Cologne) is a perfume by Coty for men and was released in 1989. The scent is green-fresh. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mint, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss

Submitted by Lissy, last update on 23.07.2019

The scent was released in association with Quintessence.

5.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

King of Ramsch
Cool water? Yes. No. Maybe.

Green Irish Tweed? I'm sorry, too. And yet again not.

That's odd. The great role models didn't really convince me either. I have always found Cool Water to be extremely intrusive, almost aggressive and chemical. Green Irish Tweed does this better because it feels more natural. But then again the Creed was too formal and serious, too serious for me.

And yet I find this chemotherapy here, which makes use of both of them quite uninhibitedly, surprisingly extremely successful. It may sound presumptuous, but I'll just say it like this: I think Aspen is better. And before the first stones fly, I try to explain briefly why: I think he takes up the strengths of his role models and turns them into something very balanced new.

The fresh green herbaceousness of one is combined with the youthful cool wateriness of the other. A Cool Green Irish Water, so to speak. At the same time the concentration is reduced, which I feel is less strenuous and therefore very suitable for everyday use. Many may not like the dimmed performance. For me, however, it is clearly a strength in this case.

In the past weeks, the fragrance has turned out to be a very solid evergreen for me, who despite regular use did not become "over" me. That doesn't happen very often. Added to this is the outstanding price-performance ratio. I mean, Aspen would be worth more, too. In the Ramsch class (up to 10 Euro) he is unbeatable for me
6.0 5.0 6.0 8.5/10

Harmony with nature!
Initial impressions?
First of all, let me start by saying that it is acclaimed and undoubtedly beautiful fragrance. It is one of those fragrances which most of us can enjoy and it is one of the least offensive fragrances.

Where is it inspired from?
When you smell it, you would be taken back to nature. Imagine, you are in woods on sort of grassy terrain and it has just rained a bit. Land is bit wet, and all the plants around are shining under the bit cloudy sun. You are walking down the terrain and happen to enter into forest of oaks, and trees are still wet and so is moss on them. You take a sniff and it's very green, fresh and bright.
It is just so peaceful, and graces your mind with the connection with nature. This scent is absolutely beautiful.

How does it perform? Where do I wear it?
About the performance, it does what most colognes do, lasts for couple of hours but it is very likable. Many reviewers say that this is fit for outdoors, and it seems to be fit. I wear it in office, and it works well in indoor settings, not choking anybody with deep and dark scents. Although, I am big fan of the scent, but performance doesn't work for me.

When do I wear it?
This is majorly summer/spring scent and is pretty versatile. Price is dirt cheap. I suggest everybody to keep a bottle for those camping/trekking days.

How much does it cost?
It is inexpensive and you wouldn't mind if you happen to lose one on travel. 10-15 dollars globally for 120 ml cologne concentration.

What could have been better?
I wish Coty had released in EDP variant and this could have lasted for 6-8 hours. Otherwise this is a rockstar.

What does this reminds you of?
Fresh nature. Other close resemblances - Creed GIT and Davidoff cool water
6.0 5.0 5.0 7.5/10

My Opinion
At this price, it is necessary to start over the complaints about synthetic components, etc.
It is a 120 ml eau de cologne at just 10 euros. But I think it is extremely enjoyable.
I think it's kind of Cool Water but with green tones instead of aquatic tones. A fresh, clean and green scent.
Generally reported to other perfumes (pleasant smell, 1 hour projection, longevity of 4-5 hours) I could say that is for me 7.5 / 10.
If I report everything at the price, I personally think it is 5 * / 5 * and for me it is the leader in its price category.
5.0 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Gmmcnair
If it weren't for Cool Water....
...we would probably have a lot more variety in scents. So many fragrances out on the market today take advantage of similar notes that made Cool Water so popular.

Aspen for Men is not an exception. There is definitely a Cool Water vibe going on top and heart with the lavender and mint, along with the amber and oakmoss in the base. Aspen smells more astringent, greener, and far less complex than Cool Water, but they are definitely cousins in some respects. Both evoke a freshly showered feeling, and both last quite well. Both can also be had for incredibly reasonable prices nowadays....not the case when I used Aspen regularly.

So, would I say Aspen is a great substitute for Cool Water? No...Cool Water is much more complex and satisfying to wear than Aspen. However, that does not mean Aspen is a bad fragrance. It is simply less complex. Simple in this case is a good thing; none of the notes smell cheap (unlike some much more expensive designer brands), and it can be had for reasonable at almost any drug store, or for incredibly cheap online.

I would quite happily suggest Aspen as a gift for someone who is younger, maybe a teenage boy's first fragrance, or for someone who isn't a fragrance aficionado and just wants to smell good and clean. It excels at both of these. Plus it's easy on the pocket book.

KingPin 150 days ago
Starts off exactly (!) like CW, but after a few hours a lingering note of GIT appears. Very good for the price demanded.+1
Syzygy73 7 months ago
Not quite GIT, leans more to CW but without the unpleasant aquatic note. I was surprised at how fresh, green and enjoyable to wear this is.+4
Xanthon 8 months ago
Powerful, green but only decent performance. Its very very good smell. Cant replace Green Irish Tweed though.
Still highly recommended!+4
Carlitos01 11 months ago
Aspen is a cheapie that doesn't smell cheap. It surprises for the scent similar to Green Irish Tweed and Cool Water. It's blind buy worthy.+3
MrHonest 20 months ago
My first frag ever. Sharp, lemony pine in the opening, with a GIT-esque drydown. Dirt cheap and a decent staple of the budget woodsman.+4

by Carlitos01
by Pharaoh
by Michael
by Michael

Popular Coty

Emeraude (Parfum) by Coty Aspen for Men (Cologne) by Coty Vanilla Fields by Coty L'Aimant (Extrait de Parfum) by Coty L'Origan (Parfum) by Coty Emeraude (Eau de Cologne) by Coty L'Aimant (Eau de Toilette) by Coty Ex'cla-ma'tion by Coty Vanilla Musk by Coty Wild Lagoon by Coty Route 66 (Eau de Toilette) by Coty Chypre de Coty / Chyprée (Eau de Toilette) by Coty Sand & Sable (Cologne) by Coty Universo (Eau de Toilette) by Coty Complice (Eau de Toilette) by Coty Imprévu (Parfum) by Coty Preferred Stock (1990) (Cologne) by Coty Wild Musk by Coty Les Muses by Coty Chanson d'Eau by Coty