Extract of Mysore Sandalwood (1970)

Extract of Mysore Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn

Extract of Mysore Sandalwood is a perfume by Crabtree & Evelyn for women and men and was released in 1970. The scent is powdery-woody. The production was apparently discontinued.

Mysore sandalwood, Jasmine, Amyris, Ylang-ylang

Submitted by AmyAmy, last update on 06.12.2016

8.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

When Sandalwood Fragrances Were Great
I managed to get hold of a full bottle of this long discontinued treasure from 1983 and the sandalwood in this is amazing.

The scent is dominated by Ylang Ylang and creamy buttery mysore sandalwood goodness. On first application the fragrance is very fresh and floral with a buttery sandalwood note underneath. As the hours pass the mysore santal accord becomes more dominate though you can still pick up the Ylang Ylang for the duration.

I have to say this is the most beautiful natural smelling sandalwood I have smelled in a fragrance. It is creamy, buttery, rich with depth but also mellow in a meditative way. I have tried loads of Sandalwood scents from Tam Dao to Santal Noble and they all pale in comparison to the glorious sandalwood found in this.

I got several hours longevity with this scent and the projection was about average though I could still smell the lovely santal woodiness on my clothes long after.

A treasure that has been discontinued long ago due to the scarcity and expense of Mysore Sandalwood. If you ever find this on ebay going cheaply then grab it as it is a gem in the world of fragrances!

Magic!
I was really eager to put my hands on this mythical vintage “Extract of Mysore Sandalwood” by Crabtree & Evelyn, since it is apparently considered among the most vibrant and truthful representations of authentic Mysore sandalwood in perfumery, as it shall contain some. Now, I am not an expert of sandalwood, so I can’t comment on the degree of authenticity and quality of sandalwood here; all I can say is that this fragrance smells terrific, period. Easily the best scent I’ve ever smelled among the ones containing “sandalwood” in their name. It’s just magic, and it truly makes you consider other sandalwood scents in perspective.

At first, there’s a tremendous blast of balsamic, slightly anisic and creamy sandalwood with a drop of citrus and an impressive “material” woody texture, joined by a really peculiar sort of earthy, almost ashy and even slightly fecal undertone; it’s truly subtle, but it’s there, creating a really vibrant dark and organic shade blending with the luminous, soapy, balmy uplifting creaminess of this wood. It feels like an instant Polaroid of a sandalwood plantation, which I’ve never even saw in pictures, so it’s just my imagination speaking - but that’s the beauty of fragrances. It’s soapy and exotically sweet, but now I see what “synthetic” means in relation to sandalwood – it’s a whole different kind of sweet soapiness the one you smell here. It’s just natural, deep, imperfect. It doesn’t pierce your nose or go right into your stomach, it’s not musk-driven, it doesn’t smell like laundry machines or cheap candies. It’s the kind of sophisticated, weightless woody sweetness you maybe got in the drydown of some vintage masculine scents like Egoiste or Tiffany for Men, just in a free, pure, complete and more “amplified” form here.

The evolution is quite dynamic then, and I guess that’s another key point of difference from any synthetic sandalwood scent. And again, it just feels as the natural course of an “organic” smell – it becomes warmer, dustier, drier, lighter too but it doesn’t entirely fade away. It just gently sits on skin with a peaceful, yet intricated harmony of soapiness, creaminess, dry woodiness, and a whole range of “rural” nuances coming and going – from hay, to indolic nuances. It gets darker and smokier for a while at first (I think a hint of vetiver pops out), then progressively breezier and brighter, and also simpler, more purely soapy and balmy. More and more discreet as well as time passes, but long lasting. Finally, just a note: don’t expect anything complex though, as this is a truly simple fragrance. Lots of nuances, but still gravitating around almost a single accord. Outstandingly, sumptuously, richly simple and quintessential, if you get what I mean, easy to love like a piece of perfect blue sky.

So overall, a true gem in my opinion. I must say though that the subsequent “Sandalwood” which Crabtree and Evelyn made in 2004 (discontinued as well, I think, but easier to get) is a truly remarkable and successful effort of bringing back some of these feelings and nuances of the original Extract, in a synthetic sandalwood fragrance. Some, if not most part of the magic is gone, and indeed you get a flatter, more artificial texture, but the final smell is amazingly close to this. The Extract is still worth its money in my opinion, since besides the smell there’s just a fantastic “experience” flowing out the bottle, but “Sandalwood” comes just right after with its tolerable compromises on quality. I own both and despite they smell similar, they don’t feel redundant.

9/10

DorothyGrace 4 years ago
I really looked forward to receiving a set of three soaps for my birthday and for Christmas every year from my mum. Fantastic perfume.+1
9.0