Bois du Portugal (1987)

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Bois du Portugal is a popular perfume by Creed for men and was released in 1987. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesCedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Vetiver, Ambergris

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 09.04.2019

8.0 7.0 8.0 9.5/10

Bois du EDEN !
I didn't intend to write a comment, because my mood is going towards 0 with the constant rain. 16 o'clock; I am forced to apply a fragrance to change this. It should be woody but not too earthy or too sweet.....not too heavy or intrusive.....more like a warm hug with woody notes. After a short search I had to decide between BdP or Azzaro Pour Homme. The similarities of the two are amazing but the Azzaro is too spicy for me in the course.
BdP is much quieter and as mentioned above it should not be so intrusive.
This fragrance leaves the wearer no chance of having a bad mood; it always brings a smile to my face. A nice friend who tells you to switch off and turn stress into relaxation. He'll stay with you for a whole day, too.
A little paradise for the soul...
9.0 6.0 8.0 8.0/10

A radical middle course
Through the whole Aventus story, the niche house Creed is a little burned for me. It's a little blasé of mine, I admit it, but in my imagination Creed is somehow... guilty. On the one hand, "Green Irish Tweed" (through no fault of my own) is partly responsible for the wave of aquatics that does not want to subside (no pun intended), on the other hand, the ever-increasing numbers of Aventus imitators, who recently found their way into the Douglas and Müller shelves of this republic through Montblanc's jump on the train, make me turn up my nose. Somehow the distance between old, European perfumery house Noblesse and contemporary mass taste seems to me here once too often to be lifted.

Thought the wrong way, it's clear: What can people at Creed do to get trends off the ground? After all, Jean-Michel Jarre or Kraftwerk are not to blame for the fact that since the nineties a great deal of shit has been done with synthetic sound production. Nevertheless: An aftertaste remains and the more recent releases already seem as if one is reluctant to withdraw the foot once set in the door. Be that as it may: The last great litter of old Façon is not considered a few "Bois du Portugal". The fragrance pyramid also let me immediately become straight in the cross. I wasn't disappointed!

Bois du Portugal" is a perfume that holds its balance like no other in the classic masculine triad of "citric", "herbaceous-spicy" and "woody" - let's call it that for the sake of argument. A bergamot strongly illuminated by rather English lavender and whitish-powdery (not necessarily "powdery") herb or moss tones - could be almost a lemon - opens incredibly bright and airy. This is soon joined, albeit quietly at first, by the typical, somehow very dry, but never piercing woodiness of the cedar, which continuously increases in strength and maintains the overall so astounding scent of the bright, whitish radiant. Strangely enough, the vetiver is clearly audible without being pastel as in other fragrances; rather, it hangs into the cedar without break and cheerfully. Strange how far the color metaphor carries here: How should you change almost pure white to pastel?

A really beautiful, airy fragrance, which, despite its summeriness, is still sufficiently strong throughout the year and at the same time thoroughly masculine and elegant. I still give him "only" eight points. What's the problem? Probably an olfactory ideosyncrasy on my part, which the inclined reader should not necessarily understand as a warning. Maybe it is an incompatibility of lavender with another component, but: Something in "Bois du Portugal" reminds me in the course of the fragrance of cabbage. Kind of poopy methane. I've only had it with Guerlain's "Jicky."
But this small "individual-associative" mistake does not prevent me from recommending this fragrance to every gentleman looking for a high-quality signature fragrance suitable for the whole year as a work of art that is balanced to the last (and never bland because of its almost radical balance).
7.0 8.0 8.0 7.0/10

MajorTom
Creed or nothing? Then nothing!
I must admit, most creeds haven't ripped me out of my chair yet. Neither the Aventus that so many have stylized into an absolute fragrance, which I personally don't like at all (perhaps because it simply smells too often, too often, too excessively?). Various other representatives of the brand. So far I found the Green Irish Tweed alone interesting, so a detailed test will follow.

But now to the Portuguese woods. The prelude, determined by bergamot and a little lavender, I find quite pleasing. Pleasing but inconspicuous. Which doesn't have to be bad. And for me, the most diverse woods dominate surprisingly fast, whereby to be honest I am not able to define when exactly the heart note changes into the base note. An almost seamless transition from my point of view and yes, the woods dominate this fragrance to the end, with a small added vetiver crisis, which may, however, be reserved. Any luck? No, no surprises at all, the fragrance is almost soft towards the back and, from my point of view, slightly powdery.

What am I gonna do with a perfume like that? As described above, I find it pleasant, pleasing, basically always wearable, but also somehow too reserved (especially for the Creed brand), not grandpa-style, as some of the previous speakers mentioned, but simply a bit too smooth, too discreet, too arbitrary and almost too boring, just too little extroverted - for my taste/ sense of smell. By no means a bad part, we've already got quite different things under our noses, durability and sillage underline the high quality. But the better is the enemy of the good, and the dog is buried in it. For 50 ml, 160 stones are called, people people! In return, I expect something that flashes and doesn't bore me. And that's why this perfume won't be coming to me, sorry

MasterLi
Pleasant and conservative men's fragrance...

I do like this one. I find it the type of fragrance which doesn't smell completely "modern" in it's approach. It takes very traditional masculine ingredients here and comes up with a smart, slightly formal and traditional fragrance.

What I get from here immediately is the sandalwood and lavender combination. It's a very good combination and one used very often in male-marketed compositions (most famously in Guerlain - Héritage). In fact, Bois du Portugal is very similar to Héritage (the eau de toilette version).

Having said that, although this is a very well made fragrance, no doubt... I can't help feeling that if you are on a budget you can find this effect for less.. In fact, it reminds me not just of the Guerlain fragrance, but also of a great fragrance by the house of Caron called The Third Man (which I would recommend as this fragrance but with a more daring, floral edge). That fragrance has more flair than this one. I would say that, again, as with all Creed fragrances, if you have the money, go for it. Yet if you want your money to go a little further by mixing it up a bit, then go for the other French houses. As always, a very safe and traditional choice for men from Creed.
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Creed Bois Du Portugal - Ahhh Frankie Sinatra
One fine day I had a weird thought to try a Creed fragrance belonging to my year of birth i.e. 1987, and to really feel what exactly the fragrance house was into the late eighties, and I have to say that I wasn’t a tad bit disappointed, in terms of being good at what was going on, it’s one of the examples of extravagance, exuberance and fresh rawness of the 80’s era bottled.

Since the first spray this fragrance reminds me of a mixture of other famous perfumes namely, Armani, Polo Green and to a great extent Old Spice cologne. Faintly familiar and timelessly surprising.

One great thing is that there has been no heavy restructuring or reformulation of any sort, and is exactly what you expect it to be, clean crisp and sharp.

Bois Du Portugal was launched in 1987, and is the brainchild of Olivier Creed who is famously said to have designed this fragrance as he conjured up sights and smell of the fragrant trees of Portugal, which is literally what the name of this scent means.

Mentioned below is the review:

Bottle design (8.5 / 10) - We have the same Creed bottle outline, but what makes it special is the attention to the detail. The top is jet black with a golden Creed sigil embalmed on it (yes GOLDEN), the actual bottle has tailor cut green on it with ‘Bois Du Portugal’ imprinted on it in golden. It is, simple, yet elegant and royal in its stature making me feel proud of its possession.

Scent (8.5 / 10) - It is tough to decide the range of score here, for some it would be a hit or a miss, and may easily be classified into a wet shaving community cologne, and a barber favorite. However, all said and done, I still admire this very much, since it is to me a defining statement of the late 80’s era, sharp, crisp, citrusy and in your face.

This is a Woody/oriental scent; and too much woody at that. It opens with a burst of bergamot and settles down into the extremely well balanced lavender, which is not nauseating, rather soothing and sweet if I may say so.
It is the constant interplay of these 2 elements in the scent which makes this scent simple yet definitive, and right at the base is the smell of vetiver and sandalwood which evolve and linger on you giving it the earthy and woody texture, it wants to encapsulate.

Longevity (7.5 / 10) - The perfume lasts on my skin for a good 6+ hours, however after the 2-3 hour point, it lingers more closely to the skin.

Overall the performance is pretty good, with reasonably appreciative silage that is not disturbing and over powering

In summary, the fragrance still retains its crisp and clean masculinity and is definitive of a time and era bygone whose remnants I look forward to clinging on to.

One fact this one was Frank Sinatra’s signature scent.

Overall: 82% ( B+ )

Toreter 9 months ago
Less is more. Starts kinda fresh and citric, then settles into wood+citrus . Adult,confident,not invasive and simple in a good sense. A++2
Syed 2 years ago

by DerRalle
by Timistokles
by Timistokles

Popular Creed

Aventus (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Virgin Island Water by Creed Green Irish Tweed by Creed Royal Oud by Creed Silver Mountain Water (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Millésime Impérial (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Himalaya by Creed Original Vetiver by Creed Original Santal by Creed Bois du Portugal by Creed Viking by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Sublime Vanille by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Spice and Wood by Creed Erolfa by Creed Royal Water by Creed Aventus for Her by Creed Love In White (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Spring Flower (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Royal Mayfair / Windsor by Creed Tabarome Millésime by Creed