Erolfa (1992)

Erolfa by Creed

Erolfa is a perfume by Creed for men and was released in 1992. The scent is fresh-aquatic. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBasil, Bergamot, Cumin, Melon, Orange, Rosemary, Lemon, Violet
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Ginger, Jasmine, Coriander, Pepper
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Oakmoss

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 02.06.2020.

Extremely weak performance
Another one of my Creed comments. My brand is rather not and will not be, also because of the bad price-performance ratio. With Virgin Island Water I have one in my collection. Green Irish Tweet and Original Santal are two that I would definitely buy. Aventus has never been my case, although it has its reason for being. The brand has many fragrances that I don't think are bad at all. But: Many of them don't perform really well. Like Millesime Imperial, for example. At 200Euro+ I expect a great performance. I've tested almost all of the current bestselling creeds and I will probably test some more.

Now to the Erolfa: A rather unknown one compared to all the more successful bestsellers. Not unknown in the fragrance community of course, but he is much in the center of attention among the few. But you can also find fans of this scent from 1992, not so much in the social media, but here in the statements it is.
I'd already given him a cursory exam. As an Aquat fan I gave him a second chance with a 2ml bottle: I still don't really like him. It is pleasing, fresh and also reasonably comfortable to wear. Freshly sprayed on I find it pungent and slightly uncomfortable, which disappears after a few minutes. But at no time does it really carry me away. Aquaten simply has much better and more carefree scents, even in the low-budget range. Despite the large pyramid it is quite linear without a great flow. It has a little similarity to Millesime Imperial in style. Here, however, it goes in the aquatic direction. It also has a hairspray-like touch. Not really unpleasant, but I don't need to. It's hard to describe the fragrance of this one, because there is nothing really exciting to tell from my side.
Let's get to the two most important things about this fragrance from my point of view: First, the price. In a blind test, I wouldn't even have guessed at niche. It does not necessarily smell cheap, but I would have guessed between 20 and 80 euros. I find it pleasing, but it lacks that special something. It is fresh, linear and somehow splashes away.
Problem number 2: A great performance could save a lot of money now. For a good shelf life and a good silage you could pay a lot more, especially in the fresh area. Unfortunately, this is not the case. I'm surprised that some people set this performance so high. I even see 10.0, not for me in life. Millesime Imperial has the same game. Maybe there are again different batches like with other Creeds.
With my skin I usually get the maximum out of it and I have to say: This performance is miserable. Sillage almost not there, not even at the beginning. Extremely close to the skin, you have to stick to the sprayed area with your nose. Also from the durability a rather short fun. It lasts 3, maybe 4 hours. Nothing unusual for fresh scents, but massively overpriced and with missing Sillage.

I give 6.0, because it is not unpleasant and will not cause any problems. If I included the price/performance ratio he would get less. But everyone has to think for himself

The soul of Creed
I always have a "problem" ,
which fragrance should i choose in the moments when I cant "breath" of a high heat...
Now i know, for the high heat just perfect is good ehougnt...
It must be refreshing (not bitter), it must not smell a like sometnhing cheap and synthetic...
without a big sillage, but with good longevity.
When I say summer, I think of Creed, a house that offers a lot of great fragrances for the Spring and summer.

Erolfa definitely belongs to the group of the scents that lifts the mood and relax the mind.
But how can one aquatic be so special ..?
This is how can be... in the big space of ​​synthetic aquatic bitter cheap oranges and sea notes fragrances....
Erolfa is different in the most beautiful way...
Refreshing, Luxurious, tasteful and natural ... citrus (melon, apple, lime), ambergris, flowers, green, salty, on a musky wood base and a little delicious "metallic" freshness...

This is maybe the most beautiful scent of Creed, which is unfortunately in the shade of the much more popular fregrances of this house, such as Virgin Island Water or Millesime Imperial...
Erolfa is completely unfairly underrated.

This fragrance was made with love... The name Erolfa is derived from the first two letters in the names of Olivier Creed's family: (Er) win, (Ol) ivia, (Fa) bienne
So... it is not a coincidence that right in this fragrance is the most potent the smell of the Creed "soul" "of Creed base", Erolfa is the heart of this house, "which smells like Creed DNA".

All the charms of this perfect blend are reflected in the masterful simplicity, something like the Spring Flower fragrance of the same house and one of my favorite women's fragrances.

Of course, the performance is not something that any aquatic of this type could boast of, but in this case they are quite "good"
Once i have tested 10 different Creeds in the same time on the paper...i couldn't believe it... but Erolfa was a winner in terms of longevity...

For a full day of enjoying the tropical heat Erolfa is definitely one of my favourites.
Maiden voyage
Today the maiden journey with the new E car - to the family doctor of all places.

To add a little more glamour to the action, I jumped into my regular perfumery.

Maybe you can christen a new car with perfume - it doesn't always have to be champagne.

Oh - Creed Erolfa is on sale !
The Creeds look like this to me - like this to me.

I swear on Aventus for her and for him - but I already had trifles of this label in my nose.

And Erolfa also leaves a question mark on my forehead.

It is fresh through the bergamot and lemon, a hint aquatic through the melon - but then dull and slightly musty through the cumin.
The orange picks up this damper a little and I smell the morning air.
But this flies through bitter, dark oak moss.

No, I don't want to greet our new family members that gloomy.

I prefer to use Aromatics in Black - which despite its title seems much friendlier and brighter than Erolfa.

The car shouldn't squeal with fright.
Creed again
I wanted to test the Erolfa for a long time because I like the Creed fragrances very much. According to the descriptions here I rather assumed something towards Royal Water, Dior Eau Sauvage or Aqua di Parma Colonia. So I am positively surprised that he rather goes in the direction of Millesime Imperial (or Silver Montain Water). Haven't read (or perhaps also overlooked) this here so far - it's the talk of MI's seborific grandfather but honestly I don't agree. The mMn doesn't smell algae at all. I am not a fragrance analyst even though I claim to know a few things already. It is also not mentioned as the MI's fragrance twin. The fragrance is citric fresh like many Creeds- I can't filter out single notes and it takes a pleasant development into the sweet after about 1 hour. Unfortunately, it is very fleeting and radiates very weakly. Find it still worth buying even if the prices at Creed are as always debatable. I personally haven't smelled a fragrance that smells like Erolfa in the sense of a 1:1 shower twin.
Norleans
Just a matter of getting used to...
Now you could say, scents that you have to learn to like first are not the right scents for you.
But with Erolfa I am glad that I have worn it again and again.

When I sprayed it on for the first time, I found it unpleasantly algal-stinking and so not comparable to Millesime Imperial. I sprayed Erolfa over months every now and then and it got better from time to time.

Meanwhile I find Erolfa so ingenious that I intend to buy a bottle. MI I almost feel like too good...

It was the same with the beginning of my interest in Scottish whisky (without "e", because then it would be American or Irish :-) I also learned that). At the beginning I only tasted the simple, sweet, rather less complex drops. In the course of time, I have also tasted more and more the smoky, peaty whiskies that deter many people! They worked their way up somehow.

That's how I feel with perfume, too, because Erolfa is not flat and not one-dimensional, if you get involved with it, you get a complexity and beauty that I rarely smelled before.

I can absolutely understand the rating of 6.8. I would have rated him even worse after the first smell. But if you don't spray it only once on a test strip or on your wrist and slowly fantasize about the scent (several times), then it comes to the smell revelation!

Please do not let the first and slightly smelly algae aroma deter you, the scent needs time and will.

By the way, I'm going through something similar with Viking :-)

Summertime at the sea.

This Creed scents reminds me of the ocean and gives me a yachting vibe.
A real masculine scent for the summer
Lots of citrus fruit and
bit salty, bit spicy.
Longevity Is not very strong (but in my opinion all the citrus notes are not strong)
Silage is not perfectly strong but it is good not 2 weak.
Novalis
... in honor of his family..
... you might say. At least the name comes from it, which was newly created in the years. Erolfa for Erwin, Ol for Olivia and Fa for Fabienne, his wife. Both children should probably also be employed in the company.
The scent was already around 1900, in the cabins of the first class on board the Titanic, they stood as a present of gesture - nostalgic.
Erolfa and the Titanic are symbolically connected with the "blue ribbon".
How he smelled at that time, one can only guess, because he was reworked several times.
Erolfa starts citric (lime in the foreground) and peppery, a slightly salty sea note is added and one literally tastes the maritime air. It bump - yes, you read correctly, algae, and sea bills added but not as "ihhh- factor!". Over time, these components develop in a more balanced way.
There might be some vervain in it, too.
It results in a fresh, herbaceous possibly also slightly sour whole. The day at sea can start. There's nothing musk, amber, etc. to be found here.
Durability and Sillage are not the hit here but not so bad now.
Flacon again wonderful.
Ahoy there!
Simply beautiful Aquate
Honestly, I don't quite understand this bad rating for Erolfa. It is not the most original fragrance from the house creed, but among the aquatics with the best on the market.

The start is minimal tropical with a good algal sea chord. This gives the impression of shower gel, but a really good shower gel. The whole thing stays the same because what you spray on it at the beginning is also what you have at the end. I think it's absolutely okay if a perfume only gives the impression of being well-groomed and smells accordingly. The problem with this is only the price and the added bad H+S.

I must also agree with Leimbacher that Erolfa is the father or grandfather of the rather young looking Millesime Imperial, which I like better on the whole.

Summer Breeze...
A beautiful fragrance from Creed. It evokes the scent of the Creed family holiday in the Mediterranean. Much like a few others in this house, this one is related to a personal story.

What I get from this is a very breezy, well composed fresh summer citrus with some interesting facets. It is not an aquatic per se, but it does have a "fresh" vibe which is coming from the melon I think.

A great citrus top which lasts well into the base, a slightly salty fresh vibe and resting on an ambergris base. There is a lot to like here. I guess when it comes to originality, there are a few fragrances which have a similar "summer" vibe. For me I do like this for what it does. I would recommend it to try. A really nice fragrance for sure.

Secrets of a Bore?
Creed fragrances are problematic to me since very often, they are not easily accessible. Most of what this brand has released so far is boring to me at first sight: too much understatement, eternal recurrence and no experiments. Whoever is looking for new and spectacular fragrances will easily be disappointed.

The 1992 release Erolfa could very well be handled under these premises. Nevertheless I think there are some aspects worth mentioning that will make this fragrance attractive for a small group of perfume enthusiasts.

When Erolfa was launched it turned out to be among the first wave of aquatic fragrances that rolled down to us in the early nineties. Its foam left traces in the common fragrance memory. Far away from some of the later aquatics with rather synthetic appeal Erolfa includes a complexness of nuances that was still typical for early nineties fragrances. Here, a marine impression is formed out of a potpourri of citric, herbal, spicy and flowery notes – it is the blend that does the trick! Typical aquatic potions like calone and others seem not to play the most important part in it.

With this style, I see a certain resemblance to other earlier aquatics such as the well known Quasar by Jesus del Pozo or the long ago discontinued Trussardi Action Uomo. In this environment Erolfa would take the place of the more refined fragrance.

And this is exactly the point where Erolfa becomes interesting. Mostly, aquatics are anything but dapper old-fashioned gentlemen's colognes. Bottle design and advertising rather transport freshness and sportiness. They generally fit in better with jeans and T-shirt rather than suit and tie. As a typical Creed fragrance, Erolfa gets quite out of this line. It was a remarkable merit of the perfumer to compose an aquatic fragrance in a way that it would fit in with the image of such a conservative brand.

The highest complexness of Erolfa is presented in the top notes. Citruses, flowery notes and spiciness are embedded into a boozy but lean and sharp environment. It is just the sharpness that one would connect to inexpensive Pre-Shaves. So, the first impression ties in with classic gents' cosmetics, and the label "Barbershop style" may be at least justifiable.

In its heart notes Erolfa gains its inner tension especially from lean and blond spices: coriander and a peppery note. Personally, I do not like dry coriander spiciness very often but here it is perfectly integrated into the fragrance. It is the proverbial salt in the soup.

Towards the base notes there may be a short period of soapiness which provides some volume to this overall lean fragrance. Spiciness and aquatic freshness keep up for a while, down into the slightly dry and woody base. In that base however, nothing exceptional can be found.

The prices of the Creed perfumes are those of ambitious niche perfumery – and so one has to swallow a bitter pill if the expensive cologne more or less resembles some of the mass market scent experiences. This is the case especially with Erolfa's base note. Something like it can be found elsewhere as well – and for a much lesser price. Also, the base note is already fully reached after 3 hours. One has to accept a lot of Creed's understatement here.

As an elegant aquatic for those who wear suit and tie, Erolfa is partly recommendable. Personally I expect from a high priced perfume that it is not descending to mass marked quality after 2 or 3 hours. But since only a few colognes cross the bridge between an aquatic and an elegant stlyle, or between classiness and modernism, a closer look at Erolfa may be justified. Make sure you have time for a rather thoroughly test, maybe it fits!

KingPinKingPin 15 months ago
Ok-ish marine scent, not bad at all, but too expensive for what you get.
KLewisKLewis 21 months ago
Another great scent from the house of Creed.

by Hergele
by Hergele
Erolfa Liebt auch Sylt  :-)
by Dawg
by Ovaissaleem
by Ovaissaleem
by Mefunx
by Mefunx
Blau
by ivko

Popular Creed

Aventus (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Sublime Vanille by Creed Virgin Island Water by Creed Green Irish Tweed by Creed Royal Oud by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Spice and Wood by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Pure White Cologne by Creed Millésime Impérial (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Silver Mountain Water (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Original Vetiver by Creed Bois du Portugal by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed Royal Mayfair / Windsor by Creed Aventus Cologne by Creed Himalaya by Creed Viking by Creed Original Santal by Creed Acqua Originale - Vetiver Geranium by Creed Angélique Encens (1933) by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - White Flowers by Creed