Irisia (1968)

Irisia by Creed

Irisia is a popular perfume by Creed for women and was released in 1968. The scent is chypre-floral. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesBulgarian rose, Galbanum, Iris, Tuberose, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 05.12.2019.

10.0 10.0 8.0/10

Glorious Nutty Oakmoss Chypre
When it comes to Creed, as with all things, I suppose, there are skeptics, and there are believers. I am a believer. But my estimation of this house is not a matter blind infatuation or some sort of credential worship. In what has come to be this period of the niche house bubble, I do not consider price to be a very sure indicator of quality. Everyone and his mother is a creative director today, it seems.

I have a great deal of respect for traditional houses which have stood the test of time in some cases (such as this one) for centuries. However, I could not care less whom Creed designed perfumes for in the past--probably for the most part a bunch of privileged people entirely ignorant of perfume. Who cares? It's totally irrelevant to me. What matters to me is only the quality of their creations, which I deem to be top notch. IRISIA is a fine example of what I mean.

First off, oakmoss in all its glory is in ample evidence in this chypre composition, which sounds from the name as though it's going to be an iris soliflore. Far from it, in fact. When I first reviewed this perfume a while back, I was altogether unable to detect any iris. However, today I suspect that I may have been sniffing for the wrong iris. The note in question appears to be the base note orris, and I do believe that I detect it here in its beautiful ever-so-slightly soapy form.

A variety of other notes are blended together in IRISIA to produce a glorious perfume-wearing experience. Yes, it's a galbanum green chypre, but it is not at all sharp, and its projection does not quite make it to that of Sisley EAU DU SOIR, which I think of as a cousin to IRISIA. There is an appealing nuttiness to the drydown of this perfume, which I truly love, and it's an utter pleasure to wear a composition such as this after having recently tested so much banality in liquid form: dishwasher steam, shampoo and conditioner frags, and sugar solutions. IRISIA, in contrast to all of those "fragrances", is a perfume.

Is Creed a bunch of bunk, or just hype, pure and simple, as the naysayers maintain? No, not at all. Sniff these creations for yourself, and you shall see...

Concise and Well-Proportioned
Iris? Huh?

This is a lovely classic, earthy chypre. I could liken it to many other chypres of its time (1968), and as I am a fan of the genre and era it would be a compliment, but let’s just consider it on its own. Classic opening with bitter bergamot and oakmoss. Not floral, not powdery. It really moves in a small range of grassy, woody, earthy and leather tones. What I mean by simple here is that it focuses smartly and cleanly on the bergamot, oakmoss and amber triad (with a lot of galbanum and patchouli) that makes a chypre a chypre. Irisia doesn’t stray off course and remains focused on fine-tuning rather than frill. It demonstrates textbook, classic progression over time and captures the unfolding of tones that defines the chypre.

If I had to characterize Irisia, I’d call it whip-smart.

Zoikgreece 46 days ago

by Sherapop
by Whadelse89
by Whadelse89

Popular Creed

Aventus (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Virgin Island Water by Creed Green Irish Tweed by Creed Royal Oud by Creed Silver Mountain Water (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Millésime Impérial (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Himalaya by Creed Original Vetiver by Creed Viking by Creed Bois du Portugal by Creed Original Santal by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Sublime Vanille by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Spice and Wood by Creed Erolfa by Creed Royal Water by Creed Aventus for Her by Creed Royal Mayfair / Windsor by Creed Love In White (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Aventus Cologne by Creed Spring Flower (Eau de Parfum) by Creed