Love in Black 2008

Love in Black by Creed
Love in Black is a perfume by Creed for women and was released in 2008. The scent is floral-spicy. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesWhite violet
Heart Notes Heart NotesFlorentine iris, Clove
Base Notes Base NotesRose, Burgundy blackcurrant, Violet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 05.11.2020.

Love at first sight
I was in love! Normally cool and pondering, it was all about me when I saw this beautiful bottle with the slightly morbid charm. I bought it blind! Fortunately, I was not disappointed: a rich dark purple violet hovered around me, paired with the thick blackcurrant syrup that I loved in my childhood, framed by the soft blue haze of a burning clove cigarette. The only small flaw is: it could be a little more durable.

All in all: an absolutely cool violet scent!

I Love Love in Black
Creed LOVE IN BLACK is mainly about violet and cedar to my nose. The cedar is quite natural smelling, and the violet mixed with iris is slightly sweet. I wish that Michelle Obama had picked up a bottle of this rather than LOVE IN WHITE when she was in London not too long after her husband had first been elected president. She should have bought LOVE IN BLACK and painted the White House purple. Yes, indeed, that is what she should have done! Perhaps she declined to buy LOVE IN BLACK because she wanted not to incite racist rioters who would have accused her of promoting a "Black is beautiful" campaign.

In fact, LOVE IN BLACK is beautiful, and a lot more consistently so than LOVE IN WHITE. On a good day, LOVE IN WHITE is good, but there's an unpredictability to that perfume owing to its weird aquatic facet, which works when all of the planets are correctly aligned. Alas, sometimes they are not.

LOVE IN BLACK, in contrast, offers a simple and predictably nice olfactory experience. This is one of the perfumes which I am able to don after a bath and before retiring (along with nearly all of the other Creeds, the "waters" being the exceptions to the rule). I do believe that LOVE IN BLACK features Florentine iris and authentic and powdery cedar, and although the composition is slightly sweet, it is naturally so, with no added sugar. Also conspicuously missing are some of the newfangled "notes" being cooked up in organic chemistry labs--plasticky polymers and the like--as mainstream perfumes become progressively more "abstract".

LOVE IN BLACK is sleek but happily not abstract.

Black Widow
Love in Black was created as a tribute to Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, which is sort of amusing when you consider that she was known to favor civet bombs like Jicky and probably would have politely declined to wear LiB had she ever encountered it. Nonetheless, it is a beautifully composed violet and iris perfume that probably appeals to non-parfumistas simply because it is an homage to "American Royalty."

The combination of violet and rose has always struck me as utterly romantic and somewhat retro. However, when paired with iris the "shy" violet becomes a thing of sinister beauty to my nose. Part of that association came about from reading the novel, "White Oleander," in which a lovely but sociopathic woman poisons her lover. Many of the novel's characters are strongly linked to a specific fragrance, and Ingrid the Poisoner is always drenched in an unnamed violet perfume. I remember thinking that Chanel No. 19 would have been a better pick and that matching a violet perfume to a beautiful murderess seemed unfitting somehow. Then I discovered LiB, which contains an iris/orris note that is similar to the chilly accord that many find aloof and "bitchy" in No. 19. Suddenly it all made sense and Ingrid's perfume was no longer nameless. While I certainly don't identify with the character, it can be a bit of harmless fun to try on a different fragrant persona, even that of a femme fatale hiding behind a bouquet of violets.

In terms of practical matters, LiB behaves rather strangely, as jtd noted below. One moment, the wearer is surrounded by a cloud of sweet violet wrapped in a dry, woody iris and then it suddenly disappears. A short time later the scent mysteriously reemerges. After much puzzlement and a little research, I think I may have found an explanation for this oddity: High doses of the ionones found in violet and iris notes apparently can cause temporary anosmia. http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/2011/02/perfumery-materials-violet-violet-leaf.html

As far as the matte black bottle is concerned, it pains me to say that it was evidently meant to imitate the black sand of the Greek Isles where Jackie and Ari were married. While that might make you cringe, don't let it stop you from giving LiB a sniff. It really is a wonderful perfume for lovers of violet and/or iris fragrances. As a bonus, a portion of the proceeds is given to the World Wildlife Fund. :)

why black?
I’ve never read another review of Love in Black, so I’m sorry if I’m repeating what others have said. I saw a bottle of this in a shop and just had to try. The bottle is that matte black that people spend thousands of dollars on to paint their AMG Mercedes a sort of urban camo so that they won’t be seen wasting their 500+ horsepower in gridlock in LA traffic. This color on expensive cars is an example of the strained symbolism of contemporary demonstrations of wealth that reads like an overbred poodle. It’s so particular, so focused, so self-conscious. The desired message (“I’m hip/fashion forward/a trendsetter…”) gets lost in the actual communication (“I’m so effete that if you could see inside these blacked-out windows you’d see me fussing with my pocket square and cuff links.”)

But who cares about the bottle? It’s clearly an iris perfume, but there’s something off-kilter about the angles of iris that are emphasized. The papery and bread-like aspects of iris root are there, but they smell stale and sour. The fascinating bit isn’t the notes, though. It’s the progression. After 10 minutes of topnotes, I couldn’t smell a thing. It’s as if I could ‘feel’ with my nose that the perfume was still on my skin, but I literally couldn’t smell it. Did I go nose-tired that quickly, or is it the composition? I thought this was the briefest perfume in history, then oddly, another 30 minutes later, I sniffed again and found a lingering but noticeable sweet scent like inky bubblegum.

Stale bread wrapped in moist paper. Then silent running. Then bubble gum. Was this commissioned by Etat Libre? Not my thing, but pretty god damned clever.

by Lilienfeld
by Angelofnorth
by IrinaBerlin
by IrinaBerlin

Popular Creed

Aventus (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Sublime Vanille by Creed Virgin Island Water by Creed Royal Oud by Creed Green Irish Tweed by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Spice and Wood by Creed Millésime Impérial (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Pure White Cologne by Creed Original Vetiver by Creed Silver Mountain Water (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Bois du Portugal by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed Royal Mayfair / Windsor by Creed Aventus Cologne by Creed Viking by Creed Himalaya by Creed Original Santal by Creed Acqua Originale - Vetiver Geranium by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - White Flowers by Creed Angélique Encens (1933) by Creed