Original Santal 2005

Original Santal by Creed
Original Santal is a popular perfume by Creed for men and was released in 2005. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.
Scent goes well with Terroni

Olivier Creed

Top Notes Top NotesOrange tree absolute, Ginger, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Peppermint, Rosemary, Pink pepper
Base Notes Base NotesMysore sandalwood, Cedar, Vanilla, Benzoin Siam, Ambergris, Musk

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 13.10.2020.

Not mine!
Who does not know it, you have a sample at home of any X fragrance and think to yourselves today is the big day, today it is your turn. Then you put on the scent and are for the first few seconds heavily excited and after that it's all downhill. This is my experience with Original Santal. The scent crushes me too deeply and gives me a real headache and this already after a few minutes. This composition of ingredients seems to be not mine at all, although I thought the lavender-sandalwood mixture could be something. Afterwards it didn't surprise me either why I didn't like it. Here the fragrance twin is Joop Homme, among others, which I can't stand at all. The resemblance is astonishing, although I find Santal more successful. The fragrance is definitely the niche class from this direction. In addition, I would add to the same category, that of Iceberg Twice pour Homme. A comparable crazy annoying scent that definitely needs to be tested. The scent is so uniquely bad (my feeling) that it has something attractive about it. I didn't want to reap any hate now, I just wanted to express my opinion.

Kind regards

Smunitz
Amazing scent, classic! Very ORIGINAL, SANTAL not so much :)
The resemblance with Individuel Montblanc is astonishing! I understand that both were created after Joop Homme that was created 10-15 years prior. I love both and have both but Creed is a better quality scent and Montblanc has more interesting notes in it (raspberry for one). Great scent for winter/fall but can be worn year round. Good longevity but projection is very close to skin scent after 1 hr. My wife's favorite but she can never tell the difference between Creed and Montblanc. They are really that close in the air. I would say if I had to pick one, I would pick Montblanc: the Creed is 4-5 times more expensive and really not 4-5 times better, but if money is no object, go with Creed, it does have a premium quality edge feel to it :)
Overall, perfect office/casual or date scent as the projection is not too strong and it is a compliment monster!!!

Fresh linen and cinnamon
One of my favorites from Creed and what I feel like my friend best described as, “spicy laundry,” Original Santal is a great, easy to wear scent that I feel is severely underrated in Creed’s pantheon of fragrances. Besides spicy laundry there’s not much else to unpack about this fragrance. It’s a very basic and straight forward fragrance that just smells like freshly laundered clothes with a nice little kick to it that manages to separate it from other laundry smelling fragrances like Warm Cotton from Clean Reserve. It’s great, and if you just like smelling clean then this is definitely a fragrance worth trying and is definitely a Creed that shouldn’t be overlooked as much.
Copy and be copied
I'm not a friend of Dupes, I think original or nothing (Turkey holiday original Hilfiger T-shirt for 8€ nee thanks please leave it) but what do you do if the real original, in the case of the Creed, is the real copy, I'm talking about Montblanc Individual who was there before the Creed, you should assume that the cheaper of the more expensive cribbed what is also in 99% of cases so.I bought the Montblanc when I didn't know Creed at all and later got to know Creed through Aventus...with Aventus, I think that the original is superior to all Dupes...there is always something wrong with the Dupes...there is usually something scratchy or poor quality...as a Creed fan, I am of course happy and I see this as confirmation that it makes sense to pay many times over.In the case of OS and MBI this is not the case at all, I have a bottle of Creed here from the souk and sprayed this one on the left and the Montblanc on the right on my arm - 100% the same scent and absolutely indistinguishable - even after 3 hours not.I have read here that Creed is of higher quality, partly fruity but with my two there is no difference, a very nice and recommendable scent and who doesn't know both should try it, only in this case the Montblanc is enough or if you have one you don't have to buy the other one.

Original Santal
Notes to my nose are Cinnamon, Sandalwood, Coriander, Juniper Berries, Rosemary, Lavender and Tonka Bean.

A very classy and clean scent but to my nose it's very light. Definitely high quality ingredients are used. Cinnamon in the opening is dominant with velvety undertones of Sandalwood with hint of coriander. Near the dry down Tonka Bean becomes more prominent. A very pleasant scent to wear.
Morpheus1
Quick-change artists and deceivers of your senses
I would like to say a few words about this controversial scent.

It's my first Creed fragrance, Batch 2011.
I find it to be fruity, spicy, woody, orientally sweet. But it's also heavy.
He has quite development and does not remain monotonous.

It starts with a ripe sweet, very tasty orange paired with the pungency of ginger.
The fruity sweetness stands here in the foreground.
So far not bad.

Now the delusion begins.
In the middle part I can agree with Meggi, the lavender in this form strongly gives the impression of "Joop Nightflight".
Peppermint and spices quickly join in.
Central component seems to be the juniper berry, which is not disturbing at all but present.
The typical beery-smoky Creed DNA is revealed.
Has the scent been changed? It is no longer present in the current pyramid.

Over time, the fragrance becomes softer,
the berry gives way more to the woods, vanilla and amber.
Delusion of senses Part II begins:
In fact, after 1-2 hours you can already see nuances of Joop Homme.
But: by far not as killing and penetrating as the pink nervtöter.
Rather a subtle, improved, finer version for gentlemen.

I don't know Montblanc Individually, but I can imagine that it doesn't come close to the Creed in terms of quality.

In summary, no bad incense at all with playing, alternate facets that has similarities after DryDown to Joop Homme.

That one tears up the smell and evaluates badly I cannot understand.
It's getting so warm
At the beginning of my membership with Parfumo I had such an extreme phase. Every day a dump truck from the post office stopped in front of our front door and dumped loose letters with samples and fillings into our driveway. I consumed fragrances really "hard" (keyword anonymous perfume-dependent "APa"). I definitely wanted to immerse myself in this new perfume world and test everything I could even remotely like. This has calmed down a bit in the meantime... meanwhile one Sprinter is enough.
But my bottling of Original Santal dates from this time. This letter reached me at that time together with some other fragrance letters, so I had the olfactory overload that evening. My wife thought that the nearby perfumery had opened a branch in our dining room. I've learned from this that it's best not to test more than three fragrances per minute......so more than three per fragrance tasting really shouldn't be for my nose.

Since Creeds Spice and Wood (and this is the benchmark for me when it comes to woody scents) was also part of the woodsy scents that evening, Original Santal went even deeper (lower) and wasn't worth a second sniff to me.
Recently I was in a big perfumery chain at the Jungfernstieg and wanted to let my wrists smell of robbing Nordmann at the Creed shelf when an ambitious, well-groomed middle-aged employee appeared out of nowhere next to me, faster than Lucky Luke sprayed the Original Santal bottle on a test strip and presented it to me friendly, but also a bit dominant, near my upper lip
I don't want to say that I fell in love again (in Original Santal, not with the nimble lady), but my nose felt it, without direct comparison to Spice and Wood and the other myriads of scents of the above-mentioned scent sample fish...uh, tastings, as quite pleasant and warm caressing, slightly sweetish.
As for the fragrance itself, I can say that I don't know how orange tree Abolue smells, but a citrus fruit doesn't cross my mind in the top note. From the beginning I smell a sweet wood with which a very nice warmth and light sweetness resonate. The scent remains pretty much the same in my nose, except that the sweetness comes into the second row in favour of wood. Thus a "comfortable", warming wood remains at the neck / wrist. The durability I feel with approx. 5 hours as ok for a Creed, but for a wood smell nevertheless a little bit narrow-shouldered. Original Santal is ideally worn on wet and cold days as it warms you from the outside and spreads a light cosiness.

In my nose nothing beats the Royale Exclusives Spice and Wood under the term "wood", but it is so incredibly rare and expensive that I keep my 3ml in TC like hardly anything else. Original Santal is not bad, but a little too monotonous and warm for me. I'd rather go for Bois du Portugal at Creed (please test the BdP more than once, it takes a bit until you find it good).

Thanks for reading.

High quality Individuel?
I've seen many reviews comparing this to Montblanc Individuel created by Pierre Bourdon, rumours of his involvement with Creed Green Irish Tweed have lead to people speculating his involvement with Original Santal to produce a much higher quality variant of Individuel... I personally can't see this being true, but I found it interesting.

There definitely are similarities between Creed Original Santal and Montblanc Individuel, they are both fruity, spicy, sweet and woody fragrances, the main difference between the two is that Individuel holds more of a clean freshly washed clothes kind of scent while Original Santal retains its spice and fruitiness thanks to the higher quality ingredients that Creed use.

In my opinion, this is probably the most "designer" smelling fragrance that Creed has released, if I was to spend Creed prices on fragrance, my choices would be Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial or spend that little bit more and go for Aventus because I find those fragrances so much more interesting. The scent of Original Santal can be found in a few cheaper, designer options and the price is what makes the difference, £25 for something that smells like Original Santal is a good buy, but spending £215 on a scent that doesn't smell too different from £25 designer fragrance is not.
Basti87
Comes definitely very close to Individual
Creed - by far not my brand, even though I find some of the fragrances in the range quite solid and I indulged in Virgin Island Water this year. Among the fragrances I find solid is this Santal. Tested because of the alleged similarity to Montblanc's Individual. An often hyped scent I've had for a long time. I was excited about this individual with Creed DNA.

The fragrance comes in the usual bottle. Here in a nice red gradient.
Santal I have now already tested 2 times and I must say that Individual is absolutely right as a given fragrance twin. Definitely both have their own character traits, yet the scent DNA is quite similar. What makes them both special: A nice berry note paired with a great sandalwood note. In addition, both have a strong sweetness, which is unusual for a Creed, but I like it. I don't like this creed "interpretation" much better, but it's a bit softer, more harmonious and more suitable for the office, while the Montblanc has a bit more of this Joop Homme vibe.
Santal does not have much fragrance development, which is not bad, because the fragrance is quite pleasant over the whole course and will not disturb anyone. The base, however, is much gentler, more woody and the berry notes slightly weaker. I like this Creed.
The performance is unfortunately, as with many creeds, not the yellow of the egg, especially in the price range. The individual beats him to worlds. The Sillage is not bad, especially at the beginning, the durability rather mau, since it is already after 4-5 hours very weakly only perceptible.

All in all a good release for me, but I would never buy it. Who wants to have this: At Notino you get 120ml for relatively "fair" 180 Euro

A Certain Rudeness
2018-03-07-05-32 UTC -- The question of whether an expensive perfume is worth it is always a sore one; and these perfumes ^are^ rather high-end. It's difficult to know the degree to which one has been °coached°; but when I tried this, it seemed to me to have a particularisation of that certain stamp that distinguishes a high-end 'fume. In this case it was a certain sheer rudeness - and yes I do mean it conveys to me that it is quite frankly erotick: intraspiring of it is like being touched erotickally. Not that I absolutely ^require^ a 'fume to do ^that particularly^, but it is one of the things a 'fume ^can^ do whereby I clock it as a quality & substantial 'fume.

I perceive instantly that this is essentially a sandalwood 'fume, & yet the sandalwood is somehow ~transfigured~ such that my impression is of the nature of "who would have thought of putting that slant on it". It seems somehow to °lap-dance° or °pole-dance°, if you like; but I realise that some may dislike such analogies. But perfumes are, I think, an essentially erotick accesory, what with their musk & civet, & matters of that sort; or at least very many of them are, and this one very brazenly so. Basically, broaching a certain terminology that I have found to have considerable currency amongst 'fume-heads, I think it does have quite a hefty ~funk~ to it.

I find it curious that in a earlier review it is averred fastidiously that there is *no sandalwood in this* . I find this curious particularly in the light of my observations, firstly that it is ^essentially^ a sandalwood 'fume, and secondly, that the sandalwood is strangely transfigured. I would say, on reflection, that there ^is^ sandalwood in it; and besides, if there were not, the manufacturer would be lying outright! I do not venture to comment on whether Creed ^would^ do that.

I perceive that this is not a very popular fragrance with the reviewers on this site. Still, I chose it carefully without jnowledge of any reviews; & I also ^commenced^ this review likewise with same unknowledge, and I maintain my position that it is a thoroughly excellent fragrance - and bold also. These divergencies of perception are not atall unusual in the realm of perfume.

I've read all the reviews now. The balance has swungen somewhat towards the positive, and I see that there are others who see in it roughly what I do; but as for the ancilliary marketing imagery & mythology protended by the manufacturer - ^any^ manufacturer of ^any^ perfume - it certainly is my philosophy to resolutely ignore all of it. And if it is in reality Australian sandalwood that is called 'Mysore' only by reason of there being some continuity in the provenance of it fræ ~Mysore~ stock, or by reason of some other technicality, is that necessarily bad?

NuuNuu 40 days ago
joop Homme , expensive version XD
well tooooo sweeeet for me so i am not a big fan ;(
But to be honest, it is a compliment getter
SergioTSergioT 9 months ago
Love the DNA. Great fruity woody scent. Resembles Montblanc Individuel but the ambergris and musky Creed Signature makes a difference.
KingPinKingPin 15 months ago
Fresh and pleasant, but very similar to other offerings by the brand (e.g SMW). Good, but not up to the standards of GIT or Aventus.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
2.5
Absolute joke of a scent. Exactly the same smell as Individuel which I don't love very much and costs 1/10 of price...
horridfraghorridfrag 4 years ago
An exceptionally faithful rendition on Mysore Sandalwood, made upscale with the interplay of Vanilla, Cinnamon and Amber in its background.

by Liquidasset
by Vawallpa
by Venomrock101
by Venomrock101

Popular Creed

Aventus (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Virgin Island Water by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Sublime Vanille by Creed Royal Oud by Creed Green Irish Tweed by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Spice and Wood by Creed Millésime Impérial (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Pure White Cologne by Creed Original Vetiver by Creed Silver Mountain Water (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Bois du Portugal by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed Aventus Cologne by Creed Royal Mayfair / Windsor by Creed Viking by Creed Himalaya by Creed Acqua Originale - Vetiver Geranium by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - White Flowers by Creed Angélique Encens (1933) by Creed Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie by Creed