Original Vetiver (2004)

Original Vetiver by Creed

Original Vetiver is a popular perfume by Creed for men and was released in 2004. The scent is fresh-green. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Bitter orange, Mandarin, Vetiver leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesWhite pepper, Coriander, Pink pepper
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Sandalwood, Musk, Vetiver

Submitted by DirkDS, last update on 03.12.2019.

10.0 6.0 7.0 9.5/10

Actually... Vetiver light
The thing with the prefix "original" is always such a thing .... Probably another ingenious marketing gag from the Creed sales people.

One could rightly call this fragrance as mentioned in my headline, because the name Original Vetiver actually lures the vetiver seeker onto the wrong track ...
Compared to OV, Guerlain Vetiver could be described as the "original" Vetiver: bitter, earthy, rough, strict... But I can well understand that the typically strict Vetiver smell is not for everyone. I personally like Guerlain Vetiver very much, though.

Creeds Original Vetiver, on the other hand, is somehow also Vetiver, Vetiver ADDED, Vetiver PLUS, Vetiver IN ADDITION, etc. Put simply: not pure vetiver, but softened by flowery aspects and therefore less harsh and less rough, in dry down but still soft and wonderfully unsweet ...

Therefore I wouldn't necessarily use the classic Vetivers as a yardstick for Original Vetiver. OV is something independent and plays in its own league, I don't know Mugler Cologne now (but honestly I'm not really interested in it anymore ;-).

Surprisingly, the durability of OV is also quite appealing, so we can easily talk about eight hours here.

In my opinion, Original Vetiver is not only a pure spring/summer scent, but is also perfect for the cooler days. Fresh it is, of course, yes, fresh, especially in the prelude. I'm especially pleased that he is still unsweet despite being "only rich with vetiver" - in contrast to Creed GIT, who in my opinion doesn't quite manage the unsweetness (at least not at high temperatures), and can therefore almost be described as unisex, which surprisingly doesn't appear in the diagram at all The best thing about OV is the Drydown: It's fascinating that the Vetiver note is discreetly restrained even now ... In the foreground is a flowery, spicy, vetiver-enriched overall impression, which I can't describe any other way: Wonderful, well done Creed!

At 7.9, I think Original Vetiver is actually underrated. The price? Well, Parfumo Turbobean has recently analysed this aspect very well, and I can only agree with it fully.

May I introduce: My Creed Winner is .... Original Vetiver also known as "Vetiver Light".
9.0 5.0 8.0 8.0/10

Nice but unspectacular
I simply tested Original Vetiver out of interest, because I found the composition exciting. Creed fragrances don't appeal to me personally so far, but well, with such a well-known label the curiosity is of course still big.
And I have to say, I really liked this fragrance, especially the top note! I don't know how this comes about, because there are no ingredients directly in it, but the smell that rises freshly after applying it to me reminds me of the freshly made apple-carrot juice that sometimes existed in my childhood and that totally excited me!
After about 20 minutes, the fragrance becomes a little soapier for my nose, which I personally don't like very much, but which I think makes it perfect for the working environment. Also the fact that it is rather unobtrusive and the projection doesn't reach that far (about one arm length for 1 1/2 hours) makes it perfect for situations where you want to smell good but don't want to attract attention.
After 1 1/2 - 2 hours it is only perceptible from a short distance, but lingers there pleasantly woody for about 6-8 hours and just smells good!
So altogether I think I would not buy a whole bottle because of the soapiness (it's just not mine), but the trial filling is still enough for 3-4 times in which I will carry out the scent with pleasure :)
10.0 8.0 8.0 9.5/10

Norleans
Shut up and take my money! (Part 2)
Now I've finally found him! A fresh scent, which I could also wear on a blast furnace, when the outside temperature is clearly too high. Since April we have had hot days every now and then, when I wanted to surround myself with freshness, days when Ombré Leather would have caused me to faint.

I was the happy owner of Byredos Sunday Cologne for a short time and even shorter (>day), an even happier owner of Chanel Allure Home Edition Blanche (but that's also a long name!). Byredo was a blind buy and really not bad, but the citric was a bit too sour for me and the development of the fragrance a bit too boring. AHEB was well known to me from several forearm sprays and I love the scent. After I had ordered a new bottle after long consideration, I was disappointed by the really extreme short life on my neck skin and the good flak king was allowed to leave me the next day again more loving hands
With all my interest in Creed, I had never tried Creed's original Vetiver before. Actually, I didn't really know how Vetiver can smell (I only knew TF's Grey Vetiver until now and that didn't make me sick). So while strolling through the nearby Alstertal shopping centre on Saturdays, I just escaped to the ladies in the turquoise D with their heavy make-up and got a big splash on my wrist. My greatest fragrance critic is my wife. I did not buy some fragrances, because my wife got them terribly fang/ headaches. After we had reunited, I offered her my wrist and she sniffed. "It's delicious, kind of special" (YES!), "but that's a headache smell to me." (NO!!). I had never heard that combination from her before and I was stunned. And disappointed.
In any case, a few days later I was working in the city centre and made a short detour to the Jungfernstieg branch of the above fragrance house to spray on the fragrance again and take it with me on a strip Hours later I let my wife sniff it again and she still found him great - without a headache. Yes!!! That was enough for me and I ordered a bottle (no, not in the online trade of the fragrance house mentioned here).

Original Vetiver makes me think of sun and summer like no other fragrance before and that includes Virgin Island Water (which I find terrible). This initial green citric, not sour at all, but not mild either. Kind of round and fine. Simply great! It's developing nicely towards woody notes and probably vetiver (I don't really know it, but here I seem to like it). And best of all, my skin doesn't absorb as much as the AHEB. It keeps on me with four sprayers at least clearly perceptible six hours minimum, even at Ü-25°C.
But really the best thing is: When my wife recently left work and I opened the front door for her, she said, "you smell great". Since she has never done anything like this before (except with TFs OL), it really means a lot :-)
For me, OV is the summer discovery. Fresh, green (very different green than Bleecker Street! Also one of my favorites), somehow lively and smelling like summer mood.
No, I don't know the Thierry Mugler you've often mentioned. I am a bit stupid, but as already mentioned in other places, I act much too often true to the motto: "Shut up and take my money!"

Thanks for reading
8.0 6.0 7.0 7.5/10

Farneon
Grass green is also cheaper, right?! ;-)
I don't care about the name of the brand or the fragrance and what you might associate with it. I am not an unconditional friend of Creed fragrances, at least not for the price offered. That amounts to 250 Euro per 100 ml. From then on the whole story becomes almost outrageous, even with "Original Vetiver".

Of course, you can help yourself elsewhere, if you know the current fragrance clones of "Millésime Imperial", "Original Santal" or "Aventus" and lo and behold: There is actually hardly any difference noticeable, at least not for me! ... I think my nose is very sensitive, but not necessarily trained. So far I just can't say one hundred percent how pure Vetiver smells, even if I've already heard it in umpteen scents. After all, I would go so far that it arrives in my nose like a grassy lemon, so why not directly like lemon grass!? ;-)

Now I know that Vetiver in itself should smell very earthy (Terre D'Hermès sends his greetings), but for me personally there always remains only "green-citric". This also applies to "Original Vetiver". Although it smells completely different from the aforementioned "Terre D'Hermès", it still strikes the same notch. Somewhat grasier, I would say, with a much lower Sillage and a bit soapier towards the end ... Why one is described as "earthy-woody" and the other as "fresh-green" is not really apparent to me in the end.

What the fuck?! If you like it grassy, green and fresh, "Original Vetiver" is the right choice for you. The fragrance is quite linear. The EDP does not sting, does not bite and stands with its naturally colored clarity for a beautiful summer. The oldschool representative may appreciate the slightly soapy aftertaste, while the gourmand type may rather reject it.

Conclusion: Vetiver back or forth ... In my nose we are dealing here with a good representative of his guild, but whose price seems in no way justified. You have to be allowed to say that, because I'm just playing with the idea of buying a new car. And when I think that my current one should be worth just as much as two flacons "Original Vetiver" I think to myself: How gaga are you actually!? ;-)
8.0 6.0 7.0 7.0/10

... Vetiver?..
In most cases I can join DasguteLeben.

For me, the fragrance name has been missed here.

There is one thing you can always be sure of with this "House" - the high price!

Now it is basically the case in life that you pay more money for a well-known name/brand. Only if I pay this price, I expect the same quality.
Perhaps it comes through the unique or special manufacturing process that they have been patented and with which every seller of this brand opposes you broadly. However, this is of little help to the consumer if the Creed fragrances are known to overturn more often.
I gave my brother the Himalayas as a present. It overturned even after about 1 year. Not really an age.
So with Creed, when I get a fragrance, I'm always afraid I'll have to change it after a few months because it's gone bad.

Nevertheless, I came here and admitted that I had this fragrance myself about 8 years ago.
A. They were already expensive but not so expensive.
B. I didn't know what Vetiver smells like :-)
C. I just liked the smell of it. - but he also tipped after 6-8 months.

Creed always knows a great story to build any fragrance. The story at "Erolfa" is beautiful. I also can't say that I find all fragrances bad, on the contrary, there are some great things like "Royal Oud" for example. But I'm just a fried kid about Creed.

The fragrance starts with me slightly citric but after seconds it just becomes soapy. This goes on for hours until finally an undertone of vetiver flies in and the gaanz is always discreetly in the background. On my skin, however, it is not the core issue. Moschus rounds it then still something off or makes it perhaps even more soapy?

So if you know vetiver scents like those from Guerlain, Lubin etc., please don't just grab them here but test them first!

He used to be something to me, but unfortunately he's not anymore.

There is one good thing I would like to do for this brand. I really like their bottles.

jtd
Maybe I'm just trying the wrong Creeds?
Which word in the name of this fragrance is further from the truth? Original? Actually Original Vetiver (2004) is a soapy, citrus-woody fragrance in the vein of just about every designer men’s fragrance with the words “fresh” or “sport” in the name from the era. Vetiver? None so far as I can smell.

OV includes that whistle-like note from Mugler’s Cologne, but instead of metallic like the Mugler, it’s sour. I think it’s meant to read as clean in a 21st century masculine manner, but the soapy, fragrance-masking quality isn’t quit able to cover its own sour-sweaty smell and winds up a bit vinegary, stale.

Azazel 28 days ago
The best vetiver in the niche market for me. Balanced, elegant and never offensive. I just would have loved a better longevity.+1
Itchynose 164 days ago
Sandalwood, ambergris or bergamot are more prominent than vetiver itself. Close to Mugler Cologne but woodier, creamier and with more depth.
9.0
JoaoMartins 10 months ago
Original non existing vetiver aka Mugler Cologne. Skip this one and grab Mugler - smells exactly the same!+1
9.0
5.0
6.0
horridfrag 3 years ago
This is truly a surprise for the robust and earthy vetiver is made to smell fresh, soapy clean and uplifting.+2

Vetiver by the water
by TheScenter
by Nage
by Nage

Popular Creed

Aventus (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Virgin Island Water by Creed Green Irish Tweed by Creed Silver Mountain Water (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Royal Oud by Creed Millésime Impérial (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Himalaya by Creed Original Vetiver by Creed Viking by Creed Bois du Portugal by Creed Original Santal by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Sublime Vanille by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Spice and Wood by Creed Erolfa by Creed Royal Water by Creed Aventus for Her by Creed Love In White (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Royal Mayfair / Windsor by Creed Aventus Cologne by Creed Spring Flower (Eau de Parfum) by Creed