Royal Oud (2011)

Royal Oud by Creed

Top 39 in Unisex Perfume
Royal Oud is a popular perfume by Creed for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Olivier Creed

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Pink pepper, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesAngelica, Galbanum, Lebanon cedar
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Oud, Sandalwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 04.06.2020.

Royal Cedar
Yeah, it should be called Royal Cedar. Because imho has very little to do with oud. From my point of view RO is a beautiful Cedar Chypre with an excellent cocoa note and a very high quality, citric opening.

The gradient remains fresh and woody, it offers slightly sweet undertones without ever really being too sweet. Dark cocoa wrapped in peppery nuances accompanies the fragrance until the last hour. It never becomes banal or boring.

The development is less complex and the beautiful notes of the head resonate slightly in the background until the last minutes of the drydown. The oud always stays in the background.

Durability and Sillage are not "beastmode" but clearly above average, which makes it unobtrusive and suitable for everyday use.

For me it is one of the best fragrances currently available from Creed. Again and again with pleasure!
5.5

"Oud" in boring..
I am currently working a lot on the topic of oud and I am also looking for a fresher scent that still doesn't lose the mystical magic of oud. Basically, I'm more of a fan of sweeter, slightly animalistic oud and not the full buzz. Since I have heard so many good things about the Royal Oud, I directly took care of a sample.

After the first application I wasn't really enthusiastic, but I thought it would be with time. After about an hour, of course, everything settled and developed a bit and now there remained a musk base with a slight wood note and a bergamot, which in my opinion was unsuitable.

Unfortunately I will not get this scent, because I do not find it well mixed and somehow also boring. The durability and the performance are good, no question, but if the scent itself doesn't fit, it doesn't help you either.
Chizza
Distinguished, exquisite, royal: my Creed favourite
I usually see Royal Oud at the bottom of the Creed shelf, it doesn't seem to be the favourite at Parfümerie Pieper auf der Kö in Düsseldorf. At that time, before Corona, I did a side trip here and there during the break, if there was still time. Relaxed I went to the shop where I was usually met by an eager lady. Often they didn't have what I was looking for, so you can see that the real world of fragrances doesn't always match the perfume hit lists.
For this I got Creed recommended there every time, always Viking, Himalaya also very gladly exactly like VIW. All scents I do not appreciate. I nodded towards the lowest shelf, dropped a sentence towards Royal Oud, but no reaction. Didn't matter, because I already had it and just wanted to point out that there must be more than the three Creed scents and the Montales next to them. And also more than the perfume of the Ruhruni. By the way, here I bought the absolute perfume for my wife, something Musk von Montale. In the store ok, at home I was not exactly happy about it after spraying it on. But that is another story.
Well, Royal Oud is my favorite of Creed's. Why is that? Probably because the oud is staged very dimly here and that also rather for the European area. Much more you can smell the cedar, which smells really wonderful. It seems a bit unapproachable, you could say royal, because of its fine balance. Anyway, so the oud is well captured and garnished with a scent that I couldn't get hold of for a long time. In the background a pleasant spice smoulders along, almost something sweet without being sweet. Just like chocolate with a very high cocoa content, at least the perfume in me triggers this association. I can well imagine that the melange of angelica and galbanum is responsible for this. In any case, it lifts the fragrance for me into elevated spheres. Even if it all sounds very sober: Royal Oud inspires me!
The scent and all this seems all very distinguished and in fact I feel wrong with the scent when I reach for sneakers and wear my football hoodie. This is not royal oud. Whether it is selffulfilling prophecy or whether this aura really exists, I don't want to judge. Anyway, I only wear it with at least a polo shirt and chino, otherwise royal oud seems too oversized.

Oud Unlike Any Other
Where do I even start with this one? I’m just gonna be frank here, I’ve never wanted to like Creed due to batch variation, and it’s almost meme worthy status thanks to Creed Aventus. But man, I have broken, and Royal Oud was the scent to do it to me. Now I own two Creed’s, this one, and Silver Mountain Water. Royal Oud is kinda weird in that even though it says it’s an oud scent, I don’t really get any oud from it. Unlike something like Tom Ford Oud Wood, the oud present here isn’t up in your face at all, instead I get citruses, cedar wood, and pink pepper. For how bombastic some of these notes can be on their own this scent has an insane smoothness to it, no note really takes center stage and it all blends together really nicely. It does make you feel like royalty when you wear it, but like I said before, the oud in the name is rather misleading because I simply don’t get much oud in it. But maybe thanks to this lack of oud, the experience instead makes you feel like you’re wrapped in a nice silk robe of citrusy woods, definitely a compliment getter. Still, remember to try before you buy, fragrances are completely subjective so no fragrance is a blind buy.
Another test
So... freshly sprayed from the perfumery. Right GIT and left Royal Oud! Another test. GIT still smells the same. To Royal Oud. First time I didn't like Royal Oud that much... just cedar, that's all there was. Maybe a little peach at the end. This time, too. The first 10 minutes. ..but then! Meanwhile my taste has changed a little. And Royal Oud too, at least in the last 30 minutes on my wrist.

To the fragrance: still stronger cedar, but I already feel the sweet peach in my nose. I assume it's the oud. Or the combination of everything. A soft sweet cedar scent. You just have to like cedars, then you become loved ones. I like him. Even though GIT in my opinion contains more craftsmanship, Royal oud is a successful round scent. Maybe he'll be one of my favorites in the future. Once you get used to the cedar and learn to love it, it is not much after GIT anymore.

Smell all the spices: Congratulations I just smell woody cedar and an all-encompassing soft peach something. But I may.
King incognito
Still looking for a good oud scent (my Oud Wood drama could be followed here), a saleswoman praised me a few weeks ago the Royal Oud from Creed.
Admittedly, I can't understand the Aventus hype even after several fillings and samples from different batches, so I was very, very sceptical about the royal oud. If the supposed bestseller can't convince me, how can a fragrance that I've never heard of do that? Nevertheless I had the scent sprayed first on the paper and afterwards also still nicely on the forearm. On my way home, this cloud of perfume surrounded me more and more, but despite its increasing intensity, I couldn't get anything out of the scent.
The lady had given me a generous bottling (thanks!!), which landed on the spot in the storage room of the unpleasant scents. Like many scents before it, the royal oud shouldn't be better off.
After the shopping tour I started Parfumo, typed in Royal Oud and could understand some negative ratings very well. And then spend money on something like that?

A few days ago I unpacked my Royal Oud bottling again, because all other fragrances had become too tired of me again.
Already when I said goodbye to my partner, she asked me what fine fragrance I wear today.

All day long I was surrounded by a cloud of a fresh, very special and still so ordinary wood scent.

If the fragrance starts with me quite intensively and cheekily with bergamot-lemon-08/15 shower gel freshness, it gives way after a short time to a very subtle, dominant and yet unobtrusive cedar note, which takes up a lot of space and still does not restrict me. Angelika, which I couldn't pack at all until now, also delivers something unknown, something I wouldn't have expected from a wood fragrance.
After a few hours these notes give way, leaving a long-lasting, very masculine sweetness through musk. Musk is used so subtly and reservedly that it never becomes too intrusive or violent. This note is accompanied by sandalwood, which gives the fragrance a very soft, creamy and luxurious smoothness, so I would love to smell myself all day long.
And now the oud - I think Creed has succeeded in creating an unconventional conventional oud scent, which is so unconventional, can be used everywhere and yet remains special and conventional.
I can't smell the oud, fact. I can try it so many times, I can't get an oud out of it. But this fragrance still has something that makes it an all-rounder niche fragrance: this small, well-dosed amount of oud that nobody smells but is still there, making it stand out from all other wood fragrances.
I am convinced that it is the oud that evokes this masculine sweetness by uniting with musk and so wonderfully emphasizing the sandalwood.
Royal Oud is a royal gentleman, who shows an above average presence and draws attention to himself and never gets loud for it, apart from the prelude. Do I have to draw a comparison - he is like a king incognito in a tailor-made suit: elegant, royal, special and attractive - without a conspicuous crown, purple cape, coloured robe and loud marching band. And yet one notices that he is a king, even if he never trumpets it out, except when he leaves the palace freshly showered in the morning, smelling like peppery citrus.

Shelf life is with me about 12 hours +, on the clothes also still well on the next day perceptible. Sillage is also very pronounced, the fragrance is initially a room filler, later present at arm's length for at least 8 hours and only then does it slowly retreat, but only disappears completely after a good 12 - 14 hours.
The only drawback that's keeping me from buying so far: The saleswoman gave me a bottle of the 'old' bottle, which still bears the stroke 'MILLESIME'. At the moment I still find flacons in the new design and without this writing again, which makes me fear, this smell could have been reformulated for instance and/or have lost at its breathtaking durability and Sillage
My "go to" perfume when I can't decide
Now it's time, my first comment. Actually I wanted to be more of a silent partner and mainly read along.

Now you might ask yourself the question: Why "Royal Oud" as the first comment? There are so many more popular fragrances among both the designer and niche fragrances.... And that's exactly why I'm choosing this one. He is for me a wonderful symbiosis of these two worlds. If I can't decide which scent to wear in the morning, this one is always my safe "go to" port.

It is an extremely pleasing, spicy woody, slightly sweet scent. As with a designer fragrance, you don't touch it, but you feel its origin in the niche. It is not an off-the-shelf fragrance that you would often notice in the subway or shopping at others. Not like all the Sauvages, Allure Hommes or Le Males, all of which are great fragrances, but so popular that you'll sink into the crowd with them. Everybody knows someone who already smells like that. And this connotation can also be negative. Classic example: "Oh, you're wearing One Million. That's what my ex-boyfriend used to wear." With Royal Oud, on the other hand, something stands out, but not in an unpleasant way.

Looking at the other comments, I'm probably also incredibly lucky about my body chemistry in combination with this perfume, because sprayed on at home at 06:00 this morning, I could still see it occasionally in the office around 14:00. At the latest when I got up and left the room, there was always a little smell. I have a lot more problems with other perfumes. Yeah, I'm watching you "Balade Sauvage"! After one hour, for example, it is already very close to my skin and after three to three and a half hours it is almost gone. But I digress...

Let's see, maybe I've licked some blood now and like to write reviews and maybe I'll speak more often in the future. Until then... cheerio!
A victim of the hypes
If you listen around, look around a little Youtube and browse the World Wide Web a little - best of all to fragrances, of course - you might quickly notice that there have been and still are some hype here and there. We're talking about Sauvage, Paco Rabanes Proll ... uh... Gold bars and then also the old venerable perfume house Creed, which created itself with "Aventus" the Cash Cow par excellence. "Royal Oud", together with some other Creed fragrances, seems to have receded into the background due to that hype - absolutely undeserved, I think.
"Royal Oud has only one thing in common with Aventus. I'm talking about being smooth that just keeps you from getting turned on. Even this test candidate here, who already has the actually very polarizing oud note in his name, is a good candidate for almost any nose. However, this is by no means done by a shower gel freshness that is becoming more and more fashionable or by any Ambroxan escapades, but by the successful warping of spice, wood and creaminess.

"Royal Oud" starts very loud and lively, as it seems to be typical for Creed. The above-average amount that lands on the back of my hand with just one spray should be responsible for this as well. At the beginning I hear a lemon, which is slowed down a little by the presence of bergamot, whereby the olfactory beginning does not become too sour, too biting. The question of the toilet block hidden in the room is thus skilfully avoided. The pepper begins at the same time and gives the fragrance a very pleasant spice right from the start. So you know where you're going.

The citric-spicy character is now changing, as Galbanum and the Lebanon Cedar, highly praised in the scent table, are used. Galbanum helps to give the fragrance a subtle green juiciness that is reminiscent of our native conifers. For me, the whole thing has a resinous component that reminds me of a walk in the woods. The Lebanon cedar enters into a beautiful connection with this resinous one, in that the entire smell picture knows to captivate now by a very soft and above all light woodiness, which distinguishes itself by the aroma typical for cedar only. Thus, the resinous does not gain the upper hand.

It would be interesting to know how the oud is doing. This is available - don't worry. But it's very defused, just exactly according to Creed's aspirations, just not too much to touch. You have to please everybody.
The oud here has neither a medical nor an animal touch. Also, it is not dark and mystical as you would expect from other oudbombs it is. We find it here in a form that is slightly bitter, so light that that bitterness really contrasts this soft and aromatic woodiness in the most beautiful way. Maybe this bitterness is what Creed understands by "rough edges". But please, my dear scent gurus from such a renowned house - these are no "corners and edges", you don't get angry with them, don't provoke, don't cause confusion or overstrained noses. But all right, it's not so bad. The musk and the sandalwood in the base note show that the oud is perhaps only an alibi component for you to do justice to the general oud hype, to earn a little from it. So a little sweetness, caused by the musk, you wanted to integrate into your spicy woody and above all aromatic composition, as well as a creaminess coming from the sandalwood. All this seems to have the function not to bring the whole thing too spicy to the customer. I told you, you're too scared to get a little sticky, not to please everybody. But - I repeat myself - everything is not so bad. Your scent is good, even very good. It also radiates the first three hours extraordinarily and is still clearly perceptible on my wrist after five hours. I guess he'll be there after six, seven, eight hours, but then really close.

To all the perfumes out there:

Try this fragrance, because perhaps you will find here a noble companion, which appears much more serious than a fruity "Aventus". The royal oud may not be particularly spectacular and not too prominent for the niche, but you can't do much wrong with it. Only the account should wrinkle its nose and raise its eyebrow at "do not do much wrong", because it will ask you if you would really be willing to spend so much money on a not too unusual fragrance. But what a lot of money is, what is extraordinary and what is so popular olfactorically should always be answered individually
AnjaTom
An oud that isn't actually an oud? Probably because of that!
As I said, I don't absorb the oud note at all...for me it smells more like rose, sandalwood and fruit!
No cardboard-sweet synthetics note! And that's good!!
What can I say, the scent is great!

Classic, but nevertheless somehow modern.
The longer on the skin, the more multi-faceted it becomes.

Durability and Sillage are for an Oud "Goud", but not top!
But I can live with that!

The RO starts beautifully fruity, then passes a bit 2 hours into the musk sandalwood.
A fine and refined creation, which in my opinion is almost on "Roja" level.

Perfectly dressed, with this water you are rather classic, shirt with leather jacket in autumn winter?
Yes, direct hit!

I find that not many people can manage this tightrope walk between classic and modern. But Creed makes it again and again for my terms.
Probably this is also the "secret of success".

For me the most beautiful "autumn creed"
Thank you for this masterpiece!

Sophisticated balsamic woods
Oh well, I thought I would have never said this, but... Royal Oud is great. Hands down. It just works perfectly. It’s rich, elegantly powerful, it has a ton of personality, it shows an amazingly crisp clarity of notes. The issue is that it has nothing to do with oud, and I really mean nothing, but once you know and accept that, it’s really good. And “royal” indeed. Basically it is a delightfully complex and overall quite “bright” blend of super crisp spicy cedar notes (real – or however, really good – cedar, for once!) infused with some balsamic pine-floral greenness, slightly bittersweet too, oddly dark and quite new to me (the “angelica” note, I suppose), an invigorating slap of aromatic citrus-bergamot with a juicy peppery vibe, all layered on Creed’s trademark synthetic “sparkling musky ambroxan” base.

It may seem a simplistic déja-vu, but it’s actually quite unique. It’s truly a superb, almost loud rich spicy-green woody blend with a truly palpable feel of crystal clarity, of uplifting golden crispness, with a fantastic thin shade of dark. I get an intense “forest” vibe out of this, but filtered through a very mannered and refined lens. It smells round and sophisticated, at once powerful but bright and distinguished enough not to smell too obtrusive. Plus, the woody accord is plain great – it’s truly pure wood, extremely aromatic and realistic, something miles above the majority of woody scents. It just feels “stereo”, if you get what I mean, and very modern in its texture. And also it has that subtle, elegant, confident and very distinctive sort of balsamic-green feel provided by the angelica note (again – just a guess: I never smelled this material before, so I’m not sure if it’s that, but most probably it is). It’s basically a sort of balsamic absinthe-like note with a pine feel, so to speak. It blends amazingly well with pepper, cedar and the fresh citrus notes, and it also creates a sort of subtle bitter herbal vein with a subtle, exotic “poisonous” feel. This gives Royal Oud a very pleasant, and again, quite creative sort of “dark green” shade which is really perfect for the mood – counter-balancing the bright crispness of cedar, citrus and pepper and the designer-oriented dustiness of musky ambroxan.

For once this is something genuinely unique, distinctive, totally versatile, amazingly refined and absolutely compelling quality-wise and performance wise (beast longevity, Dolby projection). Still overpriced, a bit linear and ridiculously mis-named, but terrific.

8-8,5/10

MillanderMillander 137 days ago
Really nice long lasting sandal and cedar scent.
LouisVoyageLouisVoyage 12 months ago
Green, citrusy, fresh oudy fragrance. If you like oud fragrances and didn't find yet the perfect one for the summer: this is it. 9/10
PioPio 15 months ago
Im surprised of how similar RO is to both SpiceBomb and Pascal Morabito's Black Agent. Wish it wasn't.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 20 months ago
Woody, not oudy. Smells great, wears very easily but I don't get much oud in there. More like dry cedarwood scent than a oud scent
HermeshHermesh 3 years ago
Was there somewhere oud? If so then it’s covered almost completely by cedar. However, it doesn’t harm this citrusy-fresh pleasant fragrance.

Royal (blue) connotations. Or what happens when you cycle past Buckingham Palace at 6.30am and you happen to have a bottle of Creed Royal Oud thrown in your backpack accidentally on purpose.
by MrFumejunkie
by Venomrock101
by Pepper81
by Pepper81

Popular Creed

Aventus (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Sublime Vanille by Creed Virgin Island Water by Creed Green Irish Tweed by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Spice and Wood by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Pure White Cologne by Creed Millésime Impérial (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Silver Mountain Water (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Original Vetiver by Creed Bois du Portugal by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed Royal Mayfair / Windsor by Creed Aventus Cologne by Creed Viking by Creed Himalaya by Creed Original Santal by Creed Acqua Originale - Vetiver Geranium by Creed Angélique Encens (1933) by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - White Flowers by Creed Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie by Creed