Royal Oud (2011)

Royal Oud by Creed

Royal Oud is a popular perfume by Creed for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Olivier Creed

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Pink pepper, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesAngelica, Galbanum, Lebanon cedar
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Oud, Sandalwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 15.08.2019

9.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

Very comfortable fragrance
The Royal Oud almost always leaves somehow. It gives the feeling of pleasant and easy cleanliness without being too hygienic or sterile.
NATÜRLICH is the right word ... like a fragrance that has always been there, that you always knew and liked ... unagitated and beautiful.
Soft wood note, warming resin and musk, refreshing but not cool citric vibes and a natural sweetness as you can perceive it in autumn forest.
A great made, flattering and very comfortable fragrance that gives you an unobtrusive presence. Definitely my Creed favorite!
8.0 9.0 9.0 9.5/10

My "go to" perfume when I can't decide
Now it's time, my first comment. Actually I wanted to be more of a silent partner and mainly read along.

Now you might ask yourself the question: Why "Royal Oud" as the first comment? There are so many more popular fragrances among both the designer and niche fragrances.... And that's exactly why I'm choosing this one. He is for me a wonderful symbiosis of these two worlds. If I can't decide which scent to wear in the morning, this one is always my safe "go to" port.

It is an extremely pleasing, spicy woody, slightly sweet scent. As with a designer fragrance, you don't touch it, but you feel its origin in the niche. It is not an off-the-shelf fragrance that you would often notice in the subway or shopping at others. Not like all the Sauvages, Allure Hommes or Le Males, all of which are great fragrances, but so popular that you'll sink into the crowd with them. Everybody knows someone who already smells like that. And this connotation can also be negative. Classic example: "Oh, you're wearing One Million. That's what my ex-boyfriend used to wear." With Royal Oud, on the other hand, something stands out, but not in an unpleasant way.

Looking at the other comments, I'm probably also incredibly lucky about my body chemistry in combination with this perfume, because sprayed on at home at 06:00 this morning, I could still see it occasionally in the office around 14:00. At the latest when I got up and left the room, there was always a little smell. I have a lot more problems with other perfumes. Yeah, I'm watching you "Balade Sauvage"! After one hour, for example, it is already very close to my skin and after three to three and a half hours it is almost gone. But I digress...

Let's see, maybe I've licked some blood now and like to write reviews and maybe I'll speak more often in the future. Until then... cheerio!
9.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

A victim of the hypes
If you listen around, look around a little Youtube and browse the World Wide Web a little - best of all to fragrances, of course - you might quickly notice that there have been and still are some hype here and there. We're talking about Sauvage, Paco Rabanes Proll ... uh... Gold bars and then also the old venerable perfume house Creed, which created itself with "Aventus" the Cash Cow par excellence. "Royal Oud", together with some other Creed fragrances, seems to have receded into the background due to that hype - absolutely undeserved, I think.
"Royal Oud has only one thing in common with Aventus. I'm talking about being smooth that just keeps you from getting turned on. Even this test candidate here, who already has the actually very polarizing oud note in his name, is a good candidate for almost any nose. However, this is by no means done by a shower gel freshness that is becoming more and more fashionable or by any Ambroxan escapades, but by the successful warping of spice, wood and creaminess.

"Royal Oud" starts very loud and lively, as it seems to be typical for Creed. The above-average amount that lands on the back of my hand with just one spray should be responsible for this as well. At the beginning I hear a lemon, which is slowed down a little by the presence of bergamot, whereby the olfactory beginning does not become too sour, too biting. The question of the toilet block hidden in the room is thus skilfully avoided. The pepper begins at the same time and gives the fragrance a very pleasant spice right from the start. So you know where you're going.

The citric-spicy character is now changing, as Galbanum and the Lebanon Cedar, highly praised in the scent table, are used. Galbanum helps to give the fragrance a subtle green juiciness that is reminiscent of our native conifers. For me, the whole thing has a resinous component that reminds me of a walk in the woods. The Lebanon cedar enters into a beautiful connection with this resinous one, in that the entire smell picture knows to captivate now by a very soft and above all light woodiness, which distinguishes itself by the aroma typical for cedar only. Thus, the resinous does not gain the upper hand.

It would be interesting to know how the oud is doing. This is available - don't worry. But it's very defused, just exactly according to Creed's aspirations, just not too much to touch. You have to please everybody.
The oud here has neither a medical nor an animal touch. Also, it is not dark and mystical as you would expect from other oudbombs it is. We find it here in a form that is slightly bitter, so light that that bitterness really contrasts this soft and aromatic woodiness in the most beautiful way. Maybe this bitterness is what Creed understands by "rough edges". But please, my dear scent gurus from such a renowned house - these are no "corners and edges", you don't get angry with them, don't provoke, don't cause confusion or overstrained noses. But all right, it's not so bad. The musk and the sandalwood in the base note show that the oud is perhaps only an alibi component for you to do justice to the general oud hype, to earn a little from it. So a little sweetness, caused by the musk, you wanted to integrate into your spicy woody and above all aromatic composition, as well as a creaminess coming from the sandalwood. All this seems to have the function not to bring the whole thing too spicy to the customer. I told you, you're too scared to get a little sticky, not to please everybody. But - I repeat myself - everything is not so bad. Your scent is good, even very good. It also radiates the first three hours extraordinarily and is still clearly perceptible on my wrist after five hours. I guess he'll be there after six, seven, eight hours, but then really close.

To all the perfumes out there:

Try this fragrance, because perhaps you will find here a noble companion, which appears much more serious than a fruity "Aventus". The royal oud may not be particularly spectacular and not too prominent for the niche, but you can't do much wrong with it. Only the account should wrinkle its nose and raise its eyebrow at "do not do much wrong", because it will ask you if you would really be willing to spend so much money on a not too unusual fragrance. But what a lot of money is, what is extraordinary and what is so popular olfactorically should always be answered individually
9.0 9.0 9.0 10.0/10

AnjaTom
An oud that isn't actually an oud? Probably because of that!
As I said, I don't absorb the oud note at all...for me it smells more like rose, sandalwood and fruit!
No cardboard-sweet synthetics note! And that's good!!
What can I say, the scent is great!

Classic, but nevertheless somehow modern.
The longer on the skin, the more multi-faceted it becomes.

Durability and Sillage are for an Oud "Goud", but not top!
But I can live with that!

The RO starts beautifully fruity, then passes a bit 2 hours into the musk sandalwood.
A fine and refined creation, which in my opinion is almost on "Roja" level.

Perfectly dressed, with this water you are rather classic, shirt with leather jacket in autumn winter?
Yes, direct hit!

I find that not many people can manage this tightrope walk between classic and modern. But Creed makes it again and again for my terms.
Probably this is also the "secret of success".

For me the most beautiful "autumn creed"
Thank you for this masterpiece!
10.0 9.0 10.0 9.5/10

Oud KING!
On those winter / fall nights hanging out with my wife at dinner, this is the fragrance for me. This fragrance exudes class and professionalism. It is a dark yet rich smell that exemplifies class. I am not a huge OUD fan but this is by far the best ever.

Sophisticated balsamic woods
Oh well, I thought I would have never said this, but... Royal Oud is great. Hands down. It just works perfectly. It’s rich, elegantly powerful, it has a ton of personality, it shows an amazingly crisp clarity of notes. The issue is that it has nothing to do with oud, and I really mean nothing, but once you know and accept that, it’s really good. And “royal” indeed. Basically it is a delightfully complex and overall quite “bright” blend of super crisp spicy cedar notes (real – or however, really good – cedar, for once!) infused with some balsamic pine-floral greenness, slightly bittersweet too, oddly dark and quite new to me (the “angelica” note, I suppose), an invigorating slap of aromatic citrus-bergamot with a juicy peppery vibe, all layered on Creed’s trademark synthetic “sparkling musky ambroxan” base.

It may seem a simplistic déja-vu, but it’s actually quite unique. It’s truly a superb, almost loud rich spicy-green woody blend with a truly palpable feel of crystal clarity, of uplifting golden crispness, with a fantastic thin shade of dark. I get an intense “forest” vibe out of this, but filtered through a very mannered and refined lens. It smells round and sophisticated, at once powerful but bright and distinguished enough not to smell too obtrusive. Plus, the woody accord is plain great – it’s truly pure wood, extremely aromatic and realistic, something miles above the majority of woody scents. It just feels “stereo”, if you get what I mean, and very modern in its texture. And also it has that subtle, elegant, confident and very distinctive sort of balsamic-green feel provided by the angelica note (again – just a guess: I never smelled this material before, so I’m not sure if it’s that, but most probably it is). It’s basically a sort of balsamic absinthe-like note with a pine feel, so to speak. It blends amazingly well with pepper, cedar and the fresh citrus notes, and it also creates a sort of subtle bitter herbal vein with a subtle, exotic “poisonous” feel. This gives Royal Oud a very pleasant, and again, quite creative sort of “dark green” shade which is really perfect for the mood – counter-balancing the bright crispness of cedar, citrus and pepper and the designer-oriented dustiness of musky ambroxan.

For once this is something genuinely unique, distinctive, totally versatile, amazingly refined and absolutely compelling quality-wise and performance wise (beast longevity, Dolby projection). Still overpriced, a bit linear and ridiculously mis-named, but terrific.

8-8,5/10
8.0/10

GMK
Elegant and very stylish.
I really did not expect that , I tried Royal Oud with an expectation to dislike or merely like it as we usually do, saying 'oh its nice' ..and thats it, but its absolutely Royal not sure about Oud ( may be you get that) I really dont dont detect a shadow of oud, its majorly Cedar , Pink pepper and lovely vanilla.

Fabulous quality and shockingly elegant , rather 'elegance in a bottle', The dry down with very refined sandalwood blended with musk vanilla and spices besides creed signature notes make it awesome.

Sophisticated and high quality stuff for a classy gentleman

~ Royal Poetry ~
~ A review in poem ....
On a high back leather chair in a library you evoke my mood ~
Like a smoke filled lounge room your notes play jazz, rhythm and blues ~
Your sophisticated sillage of spice and woods mingle with pepper and subtle oud ~
Intoxicating some may say sexy sandalwood and elegant musk in a three piece suit ~
I found you harsh at the very first spray how far away from my fresh lavender have I strayed
Cedar is dominant here but never impolite only pure suave smooth masculine class all in a Creed regal flask ~
Kind Regards, Plat ~
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Drseid
Angelica Galore, But Where's The Oud?...
Royal Oud opens with a gentle peppery green grass accord that most likely is derived from the angelica rising from its heart. During the early heart the peppery angelica dominates, deepened by a musky green galbanum and sandalwood tandem exhibiting an almost sweet pipe tobacco-like vibe but with a more green tinge, with faint hints of just barely detectable woody cedar staying well in the background. During the late dry-down the peppery angelica finally recedes, allowing the remnants of the sweet sandalwood and galbanum to combine with relatively clean musk to round out the development. Projection is excellent and so is longevity at 10-12 hours on skin.

Royal Oud is an enigma of a fragrance by Creed. It is quite green, very spicy, somewhat woody and relatively sweet. What I find missing, however, is the Oud. Oh, there may be trace elements of Oud in here somewhere, but to me this is more a sweet spicy woody composition than an Oud one by far. In all truthfulness, angelica is the predominant note to my nose and it is featured in all its peppery green glory. I find the composition quite pleasant and skillfully done on the whole and wouldn't mind wearing it one iota. What I can't completely ignore, however, is the near absence of the headlining note (which I am guessing is how Creed felt justified in setting its near scandalous $325 per 75ml bottle retail price) that comes off as somewhat deceptive. If Creed called the fragrance (as pompous sounding as it may be) "Royal Angelica" or "Royal Green Spice" they would have been much more honest to the purchaser. The bottom line is Creed may be potentially deceptive in its Oud name here, but Royal Oud is a fine green spicy woody composition despite this with excellent performance metrics that is certainly worth a sniff if you come across it earning a "very good" 3.5 star out of 5 rating. If you choose to sample Royal Oud and don't expect much in the way of Oud and don't pay retail you very well may be pleased.
10.0 7.5 10.0 10.0/10

Royal Oud.....my love
Royal Oud is the most diverse classy scent I have in my collection. Great for a wedding, great of a business meeting, perfect for a classy night out on the town, great in the summer and spring, good on a fall and winter day. Absolutely perfect for the office (barring the price that is).

Royal Oud is an oud for non-oud lovers, much like Oud Wood is for those who want a bit of a flirtatious oud. Royal Oud opens spicy with a sweet edge. You immediately sense the woodiness from the oud but it is never dank or damp it is more arid in its approach. So again the opening is spicy yet there is a sweetness and depth. There is this smokiness floating in the background yet it remains fresh and classy and invigorating the entire time. The lasting power is all day and what is weird is this. In the summer it is more spicy/sweet in the cooler weather it is more smoky/sweet and the woods is deeper.

This fragrance never ceases to amaze me. It is something that once you put your nose on it, will immediate give you that "its a classic" feeling. It never overbears yet never underwhelms. If I could give something a 6 out of 5 it would be this.

LouisVoyage 78 days ago
Green, citrusy, fresh oudy fragrance. If you like oud fragrances and didn't find yet the perfect one for the summer: this is it. 9/10
9.0
Pio 155 days ago
Im surprised of how similar RO is to both SpiceBomb and Pascal Morabito's Black Agent. Wish it wasn't.
JoaoMartins 10 months ago
Woody, not oudy. Smells great, wears very easily but I don't get much oud in there. More like dry cedarwood scent than a oud scent+3
Hermesh 24 months ago
Was there somewhere oud? If so then it’s covered almost completely by cedar. However, it doesn’t harm this citrusy-fresh pleasant fragrance.+1

Royal (blue) connotations. Or what happens when you cycle past Buckingham Palace at 6.30am and you happen to have a bottle of Creed Royal Oud thrown in your backpack accidentally on purpose.
by MrFumejunkie
by Bradigow
by Pepper81
by Pepper81

Popular Creed

Aventus (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Virgin Island Water by Creed Green Irish Tweed by Creed Silver Mountain Water (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Royal Oud by Creed Millésime Impérial (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Himalaya by Creed Original Vetiver by Creed Bois du Portugal by Creed Viking by Creed Original Santal by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Sublime Vanille by Creed Les Royales Exclusives - Spice and Wood by Creed Erolfa by Creed Royal Water by Creed Aventus for Her by Creed Love In White (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Royal Mayfair / Windsor by Creed Spring Flower (Eau de Parfum) by Creed Aventus Cologne by Creed